Masters Running

Tuesday Nov. 18 Runs, Non-Runs and other stuff (Read 571 times)

This is a subject that many folks don't like talking about . . .
    Well, fortunately for you folks (actually, probably unfortunately Big grin ), I don't have a problem talking about this. About two years ago I had an incident during a morning run that resulted in me having to crouch between a truck and a boat to undress and deal with the problem at hand (luckily, most times I carry a bandana with me for my runny nose). My friend calls them "atomic farts." (There's fallout. Get it??) I was praying like crazy a cop wouldn't come along. "Yes sir, I know that you can get arrested for indecent exposure, however, I had no choice." "Sir, believe me, you don't want me in your car at this moment." The bad part - I was about half a block from a 4-way stop intersection. Not a well-traveled intersection, but a well-lit one. A car pulls up and I'm going, "No!" I tried to get further behind the truck with my lily white a$$ hanging out there for all to see, but the tongue of the boat trailer was in the way. So there I am, crouched as far behind this truck as I can get . . . and the car isn't moving. In my mind, I'm screaming, "Go! Just go, would ya?!?" It seemed to take forever . . . . then I remembered that not only was I wearing my headlamp, but it was still turned on. Ack! Shocked I slapped my hand over it and kept mentally screaming, "Go!" The car finally moved on, I got dressed, and it was quite the uncomfortable 2.5-mile run home. Aaaah! The joys of running! Big grin

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You can add me to the thank goodness I live/run in a wooded area group. I could totally relate to Fatozzig's description of flying into the house - LOL!!! Holly - I don't know how you can drink coffee before heading out - to me that just compounds the problem. The only time I can drink coffee before a run is on the weekends when I have time to "relax" a little while before heading out. Erika - DH and I are starting to plan a trip to Alaska in July!!! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

lamerunner

Non-running is easier on the bathroom issues for sure! For me, getting up and having strong coffee usually allows me to take care of business before I head out to run. Some days I am unlucky, esp on long runs in warm weather, but it is rare. French Roast is your friend!

Marathon Maniac #3309

You guys are strange...16 days of non running, and I have not had this issue once. Tongue Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

OMG Leslie, I'm just cracking up from your story! Oh boy. Laughing with you, my dear, not at you for sure. I've had the issue a couple times on lunchtime runs, and once barely made it to the rec center rest room... if those doors had been locked I would've cried! Had to decide what to do with my tights, because they were a mess... Oy. Had to redress and run the last 3/4 mile to my office where there's a shower (thank God!). Would've tossed the tights but they're my Brooks winter weights... so into a plastic bag to deal with later. Another time I had to ditch into the woods less than a 1/4 mile back to the office because I just.couldn't.hold.it. Blush Mary, I'm like you... but I run in the later part of the day usually. On weekends when I run mid-day, I have to make sure it's been awhile since the coffee... And one of my routes has a McDonald's 5 miles away and the other way has my parents' house at 7 miles. The trick is making it that far! Oh, and Mary! Where are you going? Hope not just a cruise up the inside passage... let me know if you'll be going to Denali or all the way up to Fairbanks. I think people miss a huge part of Alaska by just visiting the southeast, but that's what so many do.
              Weekend runs, no problem. I'm with Mary in that I just wait until my time has come, then I head out. Weekdays, I don't have the luxury of waiting. I run in the woods on Saturday, so there are plenty of trees to utilize, if need be. Also, depending on how long a run I have (anything over 2 hours), I have to use Immodium the day before and the day of. This was HUGE issue during my first 50k. Boy howdy, did I ever pay the price over the next two weeks. Let's just say that I can totally empathize with babies now and used baby wipes and diaper rash lotion with abandon, and keep them as close friends to this day.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh, and Mary! Where are you going? Hope not just a cruise up the inside passage... let me know if you'll be going to Denali or all the way up to Fairbanks. I think people miss a huge part of Alaska by just visiting the southeast, but that's what so many do.
                Well..... we don't have any definite plans and are open to suggestions. My boss did this trip a few years ago and of course thinks we should do as they did. Fly into Ankhorage - rent a car and drive to Seldotna (?) take a fishing day, etc. and then drive to Seward (I think) where the cruise starts and take the Southbound cruise and fly home from Vancouver.

~Mary

~unknown

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie--I hope that was a typo and you meant closest and not "closet", because that would be a very rude surprise for the next person getting out a coat. Wink Me, I usually just sit until something happens before the early morning runs. If it seems like forever, I do my stretching and that usually gets things moving. This is highly important because my usual route is well lit with no woods. Hasn't been a problem so far. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Well..... we don't have any definite plans and are open to suggestions. My boss did this trip a few years ago and of course thinks we should do as they did. Fly into Ankhorage - rent a car and drive to Seldotna (?) take a fishing day, etc. and then drive to Seward (I think) where the cruise starts and take the Southbound cruise and fly home from Vancouver.
                    That's starting in southcentral (Anchorage) and heading south... Soldotna, then Seward. Great fishing, beautiful scenery, but a small piece of our huge state. Another option (extends a couple of days...) would be to drive or take the train to Denali from Anchorage, and then you could drive further (or take train) up to Fairbanks where you could meet me! Big grin Whatever you do, you should get to Denali Park. It's one of my favorite places in the world and is absolutely beautiful, especially if you can do any hiking a bit away from the roads (nice trails). The bus system to take you into the Park is very nice (can't drive your car). And the drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks (about 360 miles) takes awhile, especially if you stop at some of the pullouts, but it's worth it. Not sure how long you have to spend on all this... but that's what I'd recommend!
                    Jlynne

What a gret subject for a Tuesday! My niece and I ran a half marathon this past spring, and there was a man running ahead of us who apparently didn't care if there were bathrooms close by or not. Yuck!!! He had ---- running down his leg, and it's not like there weren't port-a-potties "conveniently located." Sorry, TMI, I know, but I had to share this. That's what I always like about running near my house when there's a home Packer game. All the local businesses put up portable bathrooms for the tailgaters. Gotta stop? No problem for me! 7 miles this morning in 19F - that's right 19F temps, 9:35 pace. Enjoy those warm temps, Wildchild, and please send some my way. Can anyone recommend some good running gloves? I had on a pair of UnderArmour and my fingers were still frozen. BTW - graduation was great. My baby looks like a grown man now - crewcut, sculpted jaw. When I saw him marching with his Division, I got goosebumps. He finds out today whether he's staying at Great Lakes or going to Pensacola for school.
                      wildchild

Carolyn

Another non-running day underway. Got up early and did another 60 minute indoor cycling workout. Different music today than yesterday. A thrill indeed. I also swam at lunch, 1500 yards. Wildchild your run sounds great! Isn t there snow out there now? I keep hearing about ski areas which are open...
                        lamerunner, glad the new music gave you such a thrill! Big grin There's snow in the mountains, but I'll bet with our current heat wave, the ski areas that are open are having trouble making snow. On the emergency bathroom stop issue, I rarely run in the morning, so it's not usually an issue. I also live in a wooded area, so pit stops are easy. When I've run races in the morning, my race-day nerves usually help get things moving before the race. It's hot today! Sunny and 75 degrees. I did a very slow 4 miles at lunchtime in just shorts and sports bra. Topless, just like TimBo! I kept trying to tell myself that hot and sunny was better than cold and dark, but with limited success.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Jlynne - good to hear from you. I hope you have a picture of the graduate!! My daughter just bought me the warmer underarmour gloves and I love them - they have a little velcro pocket on top. I also have the light weight UA gloves but they are not warm and I have to wear a knit pair over top. Thanks for the suggestions Erika. I wish we had time (ie. $$$$$) to do it all and get up to Fairbanks so we can meet too!!!! I'll let you know as our plans progress. Didn't Berger Byll travel up there last year? Maybe I could pick his brain too .....

~Mary

~unknown

evanflein

Byll never got up to Fairbanks, but I was down in Kenai for a soccer tournament and we tried to meet up, but never could make it work. Talked on the phone though. The miles of roads here are not like freeways... and in the summer there's always construction delays and motorhome traffic; that's what really tripped up our meeting.
                              Leslie--I hope that was a typo and you meant closest and not "closet", because that would be a very rude surprise for the next person getting out a coat. Wink
                              Well, we do have a closet by the front door . . . The Hub gave this to me after my difficulties with my first 50k: Can you just feel the love???

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

See, I think today's thread goes toward why we all feel as if we've known each other for years when we do arrange to meet. I mean, have you talked with many other people about this stuff as we are here? And o yes, that's why larger, urban marathons make me nervous. SOmetimes crowd support in the face of in sufficient PP support can make your teeth hurt. We're having some of that warm weather Carolyn's been describing. I'm still going easy, just 3 for me, but they were much enjoyed! grins, A
                                Masters 2000 miles