Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 12.20.23 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I was in wall-to-wall meetings yesterday, starting at 9am and finishing at 8pm, with just enough time between to run a few errands and get in a 1.4 mile walk. Today, my first meeting is at 8:30, and I'll be bouncing between meetings and errands and a PT appointment and holiday prep all day today. But I began with 80 minutes of knee and core work, plus weights and stretching, so the day got off to a good start. I'm finding that wearing ankle weights for some of my knee work builds strength a little more quickly, but it also aggravates my knee, so I've stopped doing that, and it does feel a lot better - lesson learned. I'll try to get out for a walk today, but it's not looking promising.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy Jay.  Good that you are being careful.

I called AT&T to reduce our Uverse to the lowest tier, and to return two of the AT&T receivers, which will save me about $55/month.  I ordered two antenna from Amazon for about $10 each, so I should still be able to get local channels on the TV over the treadmill in the garage and the TV in the small upstairs living room (I tend to have the local morning news on that one in the morning and when I am cooking dinner).  I will probably buy a Firestick for the bedroom TV and turn in that receiver box as well, which will save another $10/month.  SO, I could arguably afford maid service once a month.....nahhh....

30 minutes of stationary bike today.

No photo description available.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Morning All.

Good lesson learned Jay and that a ton of meetings. UGH

Too funny Holly.

No workout yet. We have a Christmas lights run with our club tonight. I really enjoy those. Until then its work and work.

Have a great day everyone.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

Funny picture Holly. I am kind of in a bad mood today at work so I'm looking around for Big Bird. If I didn't have sports to rant about I could do a great workplace rant.

To keep myself motivated and keep my mind off how much I dislike my job I came up with an 11 week workout plan with a goal to set a new Parkrun PR when I hit 65 (now 15 days away). For 8 and a half weeks I followed the plan perfectly, but I woke up this morning feeling mentally and physically exhausted and I skipped my workout. Maybe I'll feel guilty and do it later today. I should have done a kettlebell workout.

We're moving my father-in-law from independent living to assisted living today. He keeps going walk-about and not knowing where he is so he needs to be where there is more supervision. The facility handles the move and my only job is getting his phone and cable service switched to the new room. So far I have been on the phone for over an hour and a half with Charter for cable & Frontier for the phone. I have the cable service straightened out but the phone is still an issue. Part of that was my fault, because for some reason, not just does his room number change, but the actually address is different. Same building, different street address.   Once I learned that I was able to make progress.

Rant that won't matter to anyone:

--------------------------------------------

I have been a Buffalo Sabres fan for all 53 years they have existed. (Before that, I have great memories of going to the Buffalo Bisons AHL games with my father.)  I've been to Sabres games in Buffalo, Pittsburg, Dallas, Detroit, Columbus, and Chicago. I have stuck with them through a lot of bad years. They are currently the worst sports franchise in North America if not the world. They were supposed to be getting better. But they are actually getting worse, MUCH WORSE!  I think last night is the last game of theirs that I am going to watch for a while. They looked like a beer league team. I don't know what they can do. My suggestion is that they move the team to a different city. Maybe just disband the team, forfeit their remaining games, and let the players try to find other teams to play for.

--------------------------------------------

That is all.

Good Morning, Friends -

Hotel/Maid Service. I learned from Karen and Kate to strip the bed and leave the sheets and towels in a convenient location.  Drives The Hub crazy, but I do it anyway.  I worked as a motel maid one summer in high school.  One of the most thankless jobs there is, and I learned that people are pigs.

Holly - The canned cat food has nutrition in it that tuna alone doesn't.  And Old Man Chico doesn't like tuna or any people food, so that wouldn't work for him anyway.

55 min of core/ST this a.m.

Now - Off to the races!!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

Good morning, all.   Hopefully it will still be morning EST when I finish this post.

Has anyone mentioned that today is the final day of Autumn, 2023?   We've had a very mild pre-winter so far.  I don't mind if it continues.

I swam this morning at 6:15 AM, in the "regular" Y pool.  I was up at 4:30 again, not sure what's waking me up on these days when the bedroom door is shut so the cat can't get in and cause havoc on the pillows, my back, and my head.   But I was up, boiled water for instant decaf coffee and my morning mix of ACV, Honey, water and gelatin.  Had a bowl of extra-raisin Raisin Bran which was extra-extra raisin, because I'm near the bottom of the box now and all the raisins have fallen down here.....

I did an easy swim, just 2,200 yards.  I cut most of the kicks and pulls back for this workout, from 400 to 200 yards each, and eliminated the breaststroke pull only and kick only drills.  The main sets were:

- 2 sets of 4 x 75 yard freestyle/backstroke/freestyle on 1:30 (Swim 1:06, rest 0:24, repeat).   Those went off very well - I had the lane to myself the whole time and never had to worry about collisions while doing the backstroke.  I hit 7 of the 8 reps on 1:06, one was 1:07, in the first set - it wasn't fatigue, just slowed a little.

- 2 x 500 yard freestyle, aiming for 7:40 / 1:20 rest / 7:40.   That would have been a 1:32/100 pace.   Just a modest improvement over the last time I did these, in 7:44.   I tried not to look at the clock much and it worked out well.  When I was at 400 yards, I was at 5:58, 5:59, meaning I was ahead of 1:30/100 pace, and it felt easy.  I made myself a deal that if I brought it in under 7:30 (1:30 pace), I wouldn't have to do the 2nd 500.  The clock said 7:27 when I finished, so yeah, no 2nd rep.

A short rest - maybe 1:33, I guess, and then I swam a 100 yard breaststroke cool down rep in 1:35.   .

My rant of the day:

For the past several years, I've been trying to convince DW to move her Mom's bed down from her bedroom on the 2nd floor of her old saltbox home to the old dining room, on the first floor,   She's 94 and has to be attended as she totters downstairs in the morning and back upstairs before bed at night, after basically sleeping all day on the sofa.  It would be an easy fix for my 3 sons, my son-in-law, and myself to take the bed apart and reassemble it downstairs, but her siblings still aren't open to the idea.  For the life of me I can't figure them out, and they don't say why not. DW's back was messed up pretty good about 5-6 weeks ago when she had to catch her Mom who was falling backward while on the 3rd or 4th step going up, forgetting that she has a commode downstairs and doesn't need to go upstairs to use the bathroom.  She'd been in a sound sleep, woke up, and quietly went up the stairs while DW was attending to something else, but came to investigate when she heard the pitter patter of 94-year-old feet.  I'm very anxious that my in-laws' inability to make a decision about anything in life is going to have a tragic outcome for their Mom and potentially for one of them, possibly DW.  Let's face it, if it was one of their backs that got messed up, or a spouse's back, this would have been taken care of last month.  Grrrr.

Marathon Maniac #957

BTY - why don't you go ahead and do it anyway.  If they ask why, remind them that your DW hurt her back.  If they don't like it, they can try to put it back upstairs themselves, or take over the caretaking duties from your DW.

FYI - DD did indeed come by the house last night to give me the $100....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY- I agree with Holly.  It sounds like something that needs to be done.    Thanks for the start, Jay, and glad you ditched the ankle weights.  Do any of you remember when those weighted hand gloves were a thing for running?  I think it was early 80s.

Holly- good work on saving $$.  We have a cleaning person every three weeks.  It's worth it for us for the bathrooms, kitchen, hardwood floors etc.  With animals, we need the help.  Housecleaning is more expensive here than in Texas and we've been lucky to find someone we like.  This is our 2nd person that we've had.  Both have been from Brazil originally.

Steve- I have trouble imagining you writing serious correspondence, but I'm sure you are very capable!  Smile    I was not motivated at all today and waited until about 10 and went over to a different starting point on the path which is a shorter drive.  Got 5.3 miles.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

BTY, I also agree with Holly and Karen.  I even have a plan in place if my older sister needs care and has to move in here the dining room becomes a new bedroom.  We seldom use the dining room and I’m not hauling her up and down stairs.  Too dangerous for both of us.

Dave, I had to check in and remind you that for true agony you could be a Chicago Bears fan.

Tramps

Wow, all the grumpiness around here today.   Loved the Big Bird picture, though.

Jay--you are the meeting king. I don't envy you.

Stumpy--I'm with you; no poison here. I use those "Tomcat" brand traps which are very easy to re-open to flick the mouse out. I just toss them in the back yard and the hawks have an easy snack.

Moebo--I thought of you when my brother sent this  link to this flooding video next to my hometown. No where near the ocean, even!

BTY--good luck with that. Juggling the family stuff is always tricky.

Tammy--yeah, that's OCD, not helpful.

Hotel/Maid Service. I learned from Karen and Kate to strip the bed and leave the sheets and towels in a convenient location.  Drives The Hub crazy, but I do it anyway.  I worked as a motel maid one summer in high school.  One of the most thankless jobs there is, and I learned that people are pigs.

Exactly! Towels and bedding (and proper trash disposal, too). My sister had a housekeeping stint in a motel. She had some stories. The sense of entitlement some people have.

Late start today as we waited for it to warm up a bit. Upper 30s when we headed out for a 22-mile ride. Beautiful, crisp, sunny day out here to wrap up autumn. Next week is supposed to be quite rainy so I'm making sure to get the end-of-year miles in while I can.

Be safe. Be kind.

BTY, I hope the relatives do something. Yes, maybe you and your DW should force the issue and just move the bed.

One of the scariest things that happened when I was a volunteer driver for Senior Services was a heavy client was walking up the outdoor stairs to his second floor apartment, and since he was old and going through cancer treatment, he was weak and he began to fall backwards on me. His caregiver was there too and somehow we kept him from falling all the way back down the stairs, but it was close to a disaster for me and the client.

Today will be a rest day for me.

Jay, I cannot imagine attending all those meetings! Exhausting!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - it's a sad commentary when meetings > RW but, I guess, you're used to it.  

Dave - whew, I thought it was just Xfinity that couldn't transfer service not only in the same building and address but straight up 10 more floors, . . . but I still don't like them.

ps - fantastic about a new, I guess you mean lifetime PR, for your birthday next month, . . .. . but, sorry to say, especially if you are like everybody else I've ever heard of in my life, I doubt it.

BTY - if all else fails, I'm sure a PCP, caregiver or someone with an even somewhat professional view would make the same recommendation you could blame them for but, if you don't want to wait any more, maybe you could say that some of the people in your running, I mean "swimming," group as I'm sure all of us have been swimming at least once or twice in our lives, have similar situations and strongly recommend the same for you ASAP it before something bad happens.

me (in case needed):  BTY - be sure to move MIL downstairs ASAP.

<<<(start grumpiness)>>> Ventured out into the hallway this morning for the first time since December 7, into the elevator and out to the waiting Yellow Cab up for the first follow-up at the orthopedes not only to find out that extended pain I'm getting kind of tired of that they don't mention anything about in the pre-op and post-op discharge materials can be expected to continue for the same "several months" both materials do mention but also, though I'm figuring last night was about the end of it, might continue to require the PK's "as needed" I thought I'd be off of in a day or two enough that they provided me with refills since the pharmacies can't send narcotics through the mail. <<<(end grumpiness)>>>

At least, I knew I was doing the lift leg, bend leg and toes, etc. exerhcises as much as I can right, . . . Nope - instead of just straightening and bending the up as much as I could before it started hurting and became uncomfortable, . . . as the doctor pushed down on my knee even more than when I got to the point of hurting for DW to see for her to do too to push a little beyond the hurting point as hurting is not on the knee anymore but on me as you would have to go beyond the point of where your knee will let you go before you can do any damage to it so don't worry. <<<(end grumpiness)>>>

At least, I found out I don't have to have all the seven inches of ugly stitching I was dreading removed. Nope, they automatically dissolve away. Yippee.

Dave - trade ya.

ps - I can't imaging not straightening out a hotel room, at least, a little.

pps - the university provided three maids during a year in Singapore

for cleaning, cooking and taking care of infant DS.

7 18 19 20 21 22 23

24  25 25 27 28 29 30

31  01  02 0304 05 06

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave, I had to check in and remind you that for true agony you could be a Chicago Bears fan.

Sorry, but the Lions have got you both beat (but maybe that's over as of this season!). The Pistons are also not so hot, now having lost 25 in a row, but nobody I know follows them any more.

I just finished a book that's on the NY Times list of best of 2023: Fire Weather by John Vaillant. It should be required reading for anyone living in one of the many fire-prone areas that we have more of these days, although it can be hard to get through. I had one "OMG" moment after another as I read about what happened in Fort McMurray, an oil-sands petroleum boom town in the boreal forests of far northern Alberta. I mean, we're talking about a fire that was reducing intact houses and all their contents to a pile of ashes in less than five minutes! The author also talks a lot about the "tar sands" bitumen industry in general and it sure made me feel like making sure none of those proposed pipelines ever get built. That's what spilled a few years ago into the Kalamazoo River here in southern Michigan and was described in the book as the largest inland oil spill in our history. Anyway, highly recommended.

I went to the gym this afternoon and put in about an hour's worth of working out on various equipment. While there I listened the NY Times Book Review podcast where they interviewed the author of the above book. Also very interesting if you like that sort of thing.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

Jay - thx for the start and smart listening to your body

Tet - don’t rush - you’ll start feeling less pain, hopefully soon

BTY - it’s hard to tell/suggest to folks that living on one floor is a smart move.  DH’s 91 yo cousin in Canada doesn’t want to leave her home or move to the first floor, to the dismay of her daughters.

walked with friends today.  One whose husband had a stroke 6 months ago appears to have had another minor setback over the w/e.  Then off to the food pantry.  The woman I normally work with is off to San Francisco for 3 weeks and the woman who was supposed to help me left after 1 hour.  However, it all got done.

we watched and enjoyed the Willie Nelson last night - thx for the recommendation - not sure who made it.

have a Greta evening

marj

moebo

Good evening, all.

As a former chamber maid (like Leslie, it was a high school summer/part-time job for me), I vote for NOT making the beds or folding towels. I don't know if you have to strip the beds, but by all means, leave the covers turned down and the dirty towels on the floor or in the bathtub. If I remember correctly, we were supposed to change towels and beds that had been used, but leave anything that seemed unused. So if you fold towels too well, or make the bed perfectly, those might not get changed for the next guest. Yuck.

Tramps, you video is pretty scary! We had some minor flooding in our NH yard, but nothing like that.

Holly, you asked what beach I live near--it's on the eastern CT Long Island Sound shoreline.

BTY, I thought tet's idea about involving a medical professional to help convince your DW's family to move your MIL was a good one.

4.6 miles for me this morning. Then I was late for work because today was candy cane colors day, I could not for the life of me find an acceptable red and while outfit. Luckily I was free first period!