Masters Running

Monday June 13 Time To Burn Off the Po'Boys Runs.... (Read 528 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

No running for me on Sunday - that makes 2 days in a row of zero miles!  It's been a while since that happened, but we just had too much going on, and by the time we got home from Indianapolis, unpacked, to and from Walmart for various needs, I just didn't feel like running.  Spent an hour and a half weeding the jungle flowerbeds and called it quits for the day.  New start this week.

6 miles (ave 10:07) for me in a crisp 62 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

in contrast to Holly's double zero... (don't worry about it Smile )

Ran an EZ 4 miles in 37:28 (9:22, AHR 134) to celebrate the 300th consecutive day of running (and no injuries)!
       2291 miles at 8:39 pace in 300 days.... so far

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mike E

MM #5615

Yeah, Holly, I think you deserve a couple days off and I know it's not going to hurt you. It's great to hear you spending so much time with your family. Way to go Perch! Wow--300 days. Just stay healthy! As soon as my son gets out of the shower, we're heading for home. This has been a great trip. It's been nice to get away and I wish I could say that I'm excited to get home, but I'm really not. This has just been too nice. I am, however, really looking forward to getting back on a regular running program and planning a fall marathon. Oh--one more thing--my son brushing his teeth reminds me of a trip our family took a few years ago. My DW told Eric to brush his teeth and when she realized he hadn't even brought his tooth brush with him, she scolded him for not bringing it and told him how important it was to brush his teeth and Eric said, "But it's the weekend!" I, of course got scolded, then, for laughing so hard. Okay--I'm done.
        HermosaBoy

Yeah, Holly, I think you deserve a couple days off and I know it's not going to hurt you. It's great to hear you spending so much time with your family. Way to go Perch! Wow--300 days. Just stay healthy! As soon as my son gets out of the shower, we're heading for home. This has been a great trip. It's been nice to get away and I wish I could say that I'm excited to get home, but I'm really not. This has just been too nice. I am, however, really looking forward to getting back on a regular running program and planning a fall marathon. Oh--one more thing--my son brushing his teeth reminds me of a trip our family took a few years ago. My DW told Eric to brush his teeth and when she realized he hadn't even brought his tooth brush with him, she scolded him for not bringing it and told him how important it was to brush his teeth and Eric said, "But it's the weekend!" I, of course got scolded, then, for laughing so hard. Okay--I'm done.

They do make you laugh -- even when it's something that just wants to make you shake your head slowly side to side!

Unplanned rest this morning for me -- was just too comfy in bed.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Tramps

Mike—glad to hear the trip’s gone so well. 

Perch—nice running, as usual, and a serious streak!

Holly and Rob are just loafing, so I won't mention them.…… Doh!  Wink

A front moved through last night bringing a stiff breeze and cooler temps this morning.  Perfect timing for today’s run: 9.2 miles including 4 tempo miles @ 7:22, my first in quite a while.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Mike, It's been fun reading and following your trip. For the record however, regular updates doe not let you off the hook for a full blown RR!!

Not too much to pass on. I'm having a rough time getting back to the those 60+ mpw that I was lovin prior to Green Bay.

Spent the weekend in Downtown Milwaukee for my neice's wedding. Enjoyed a liesurely 7 miler along the lake front yesterday. Ran past several dozen runners, walkers, cyclist. New scenery is always nice.

My BIL set the gps system to avoid interstates for the ride home. What would normally be a 3 hr trip became over 5. Driving thru all the small towns...hiting a few shops and finding a local bar with with killer burgers. We were still back in time for me to get the grass mowed and sneak in a bike ride. 

This morning was another 7 miler along the river front...my usual route with familiar faces.

King of PhotoShop

Once you form that daily running habit it almost breaks your heart to miss a day, and if you miss two days you think you should check yourself in somewhere.  I know what that is like.  I have a friend on Facebook who runs the marathon in the high 2:30's.  Last month he announced out of nowhere that he was taking a month off from running and "see you all soon."  I wrote to him privately and told him I admired his courage and he replied that he has been doing this for years, just one month each year and he comes back refreshed, ready to train, and above all has been injury-free for quite some time.  Good for him I say, but few of us have the courage.   Spareribs

Mornin' , Peeps -

Holly - You definitely deserved the break.  Your body thanks you.

Mike - It sure is nice to hear how much you enjoyed your trip with your son.  Maybe you guys can make it habit to get away, just the two of you, every few weeks, even if only for a day or two.

Hermosaboy - Enjoy the rest day.

Perch - Congrats on 300 consecutive days!

Nice tempo run,  Tramps.

Slo - You got anything planned in the near (or far) future?

Hi, Ribs.

1.25 hrs of core/strength this a.m.  I was going to do a stationary ride, as well, but I turned off my alarm and promptly rolled back over.  Maybe when I get home.

BTW - drum roll please . . . . . NO CRUTCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After 11 weeks, it looks like I'M FREE!!!!!!!  Yes, I'm taking it easy.  Slow walking, nothing too exciting, but it sure was good to leave those suckers behind this morning. Big grin

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

BTW - drum roll please . . . . . NO CRUTCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After 11 weeks, it looks like I'M FREE!!!!!!!  Yes, I'm taking it easy.  Slow walking, nothing too exciting, but it sure was good to leave those suckers behind this morning. Big grin

Woo hoo!  Great news.  Time to update that avatar. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Good for you Leslie, and hi to you too.

I forgot to mention that today marks 34 years of running without missing a day for my 70 year old brother in law Joe, whom some of you have met at Boston.  I am in awe.  Here is the website where they keep track of running streaks in the U.S.  http://www.runeveryday.com/lists/RunningStreakList.htm

He is number 21, from Claremont, CA.    Spareribs

Slo

Slo - You got anything planned in the near (or far) future?

Nothing I'm committed to yet but I'm eyeing either the Quad Cities Marathon or the Des Moines Marathon or both.

A 3rd place AG finish is almost in reach at the Quad Cities Marathon...cherry picking time!

And No Crutches !!! 

...YAY fatozzing!!!!!!

now,

What are you gonna Do Differently??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

fattozig amen to the no more crutches celebration!  I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly.  I still have my pair in my bedroom.  I wonder if you can give them back to the hospital or a doctor's office for reuse?  I sure as heck do not want them.  No, not ever again.  I bet you are not too found of your pair either!  Wink

My PT wants me to go back to doing some ankle strengthening exercises again.  Well, that will sink a pile of time again.  On the other hand, I guess it means she thinks the tendon irritation, that she thought was developing from all the stretches and exercises she told me to do, has gone down.  She also wants me to try walking up hill on the treadmill.  A mile flat, a mile up, a mile flat, etc.  I suspect this is just one of those you have to wait it out to heal problems and that nothing I do at this point will really help speed it along.  Black eye  Like I said the other day who invented these annoyingly slow healing biological systems anyway?  Joking

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

now,

What are you gonna Do Differently??

Right now?  Nothing.  Still contrast foot baths, stationary cycling, and pool running for this gal.  Will slowly build up to walking like a normal human being.

Once I can power walk an hour like a normal human being with no pain? I'll follow this program for getting back into the swing of things.

After that?  Look into exercises that strengthen foot muscles in order to better support the tendons and ligaments.  . . . . . and maybe not barrel down steep trails with so much abandonment. Blush

Ribs - Everyday for 34 years??  Absolutely amazing!

Slo - Cherry pick away!

Twocat - Big grin

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Leslie, terrific news!!! Now easy does it, right?

34 years. Amazing. I will have to check the link when time allows.

twocat, donate your crutches to Goodwill or ask your Pt if they take semi-used equipments. I know my Pt friend gathers them even from yard sales to give to her patients who can't afford one.

RAW in the heat is my destiny this afternoon.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard