Masters Running

Paradise Coast Marathon...the Race Report (Read 40 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

If you had told me I would do what I was about to do when I woke up on race day morning, I would have said you were insane. I had a splitting headache--I had an upset stomach--and I felt lousy. I honestly thought I might have to drop out before I even started. And, as we drove down a dirt road, bypassing a sign that read, "Road Closed", I came very close to telling my SIL's dad to just turn around and take me back to his house. This race was an organizational mess. They had no bag drop off for us. When I asked what I was supposed to do with my stuff--including the carry on I had brought with me on the plane--the girl just shrugged her shoulders. So, I carried all of my stuff in the 5 stall bathroom--the only toilet facilities available--found an open stall and tried to relieve myself of my stomach issues. With 20 minutes to go before the scheduled race time, I left the stall to figure out what I was going to do. I walked over to the stands that were being set up by various vendors, including the massage station, and asked if I could leave my stuff with them. "No problem," they said. So, I dropped my stuff on the ground, warmed up the best I could, took off my shirt--even though it was still only 40 some degrees--and went looking for the starting line. With people staring at me and calling me crazy, I found the start and waited. Finally--15 minutes after it was supposed to start--and with my head still hurting and an ache under my right rib cage--we were on our way.

Because I was feeling so poorly, I let the leaders take off and I settled into my pace and decided to see how long I could maintain it. Plus, I had no idea who was in the marathon and who was in the half marathon which was being run at the same time and on the exact same course. The first couple of miles were spent just seeing how I was feeling and if I was even going to be able to attempt this thing. Since it was a 2 lap course, I decided to get through the first 13 and see how I felt before continuing with the the 2nd lap.

Man...this thing is sounding depressing, isn't it? I think it gets better...please be patient...

I have to tell you guys right now--the Hansons Marathon Method is fantastic. Not only does it physically prepare you but it really helped me mentally as well. I remember at mile 5 thinking how my legs felt kind of tired already and I thought, "Heck--my legs have felt tired for every run for the past 6 months." So, I knew that my legs would be just fine.

I found myself running with another guy who, for some reason, would never go by me. I would slow at a water station as he would continue on, then I would catch him, and he would stay right on my shoulder. We never talked--except for me telling him he was maintaining a nice pace and he said, "Yep"--until mile 12 when I finally asked him if he was doing the full or the half. He said he was doing the half and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was doing the full and I said that he was looking strong and that he should go and catch that guy just up ahead of us. He put on a surge but kind of fell back again so I picked it up and said, "Come on, let's get him!" He fell in right behind me and we were just about ready to catch him when we reached the half turn a round and the guy we were trying to catch, made the turn. And that's when this became a race.

As he made the turn, I heard somebody yell, "You're the lead runner!" What?! Had I heard that correctly?  There were several people ahead of me and I assumed that some of them were in the half but never imagined that only one of them was doing the full...and he was within 100 yards of me! When I made the turn, I asked the guy just to make sure, and he said, "Yep--and you're second!"

It was also at this time, when my "crew" showed up. Ryan, Debbie, Ryan's GF, and her parents. I have to tell you, even though I was from Minnesota, I had the largest and best fan support of anybody in the race...and they were a huge help. I ran by Ryan and said, "I'm in 2nd!" And, as I ran down the road I heard Ryan yell, "Let's win this thing!" So, I picked it up.

As I was getting closer, I kept telling myself to just be patient...fall in behind him...let him set the pace and do the work...by mile 14, I was in the lead. I cannot tell you the adrenaline rush I felt as I was pulling away from that guy. I was still feeling lousy--and I wasn't sure how far this adrenaline thing would carry me, but I decided to just go for it. Because the race was so small, my fan club was able to drive along, stop every couple of miles and scream like crazy as I ran by. They seemed to be at just the right spot at just the right time. My pace would always drop into the 6:30's every time they stopped for me...then, again, as they drove by...still screaming.

You guys might not believe this but, as much of a help as my crew was, just the thought of being able to tell you guys that I won the Paradise Coast Marathon, was the biggest motivator and the main thing that kept me pushing myself the whole way. You guys are the ones who understand how hard I worked for this. You guys are the ones who understand how much this means to me. You are the ones who support me when others just don't get it. I don't think you all really understand how much you have helped me these past few years.

Anyway...sorry to get so mushy, there...but it was weird--I was so intent on working to win that race I had completely forgotten about the whole 3 hour thing. Finally, with 4 miles to go, I did the math and realized that, if I could maintain the pace I was at, I would go under 3. I even told myself that if, somebody did end up catching me, that getting under 3 is what I came here to do and I should be happy...but I was going to give everything I had to win this thing.

I have run faster marathons but I had never run one where every single mile was under 7 minutes. 6:55 was my slowest mile in this one. Obviously, I lucked out with this marathon being so small and not very well attended. With Ft. Lauderdale and Gainsville going on at the same time, all the fast runners went there. But I am so happy with the way I ran this thing. I did the very best that I could and I fought hard every single step. The Hansons Marathon Method really prepared me for this race.

Okay--I guess that's all I have to say about it. Again--I really appreciate all of your support. And--honestly--when I crossed that finish line I carried each one of you over it with me.  Thank you!

Obviously, I lucked out with this marathon being so small and not very well attended. With Ft. Lauderdale and Gainesville going on at the same time, all the fast runners went there.

Mike, you're selling yourself short here.  Yes, the A1A Marathon in FTL was Sunday also.  And yes, you wouldn't have won Overall.  (2:41 won, I believe).  But I think you would have been very close (within 30 seconds or so) of winning 1st Male Masters.  And trust me.  That is a BIG deal.  Don't sell yourself short.  You ran spectacularly - no matter the size!

I am so glad everything worked out for you.  You train so well and so hard, and you love it so much, you deserve the success you got.  It's not usually a surprise.  The runners that put in the work, get the prize.  And you did.

We're all pleased as punch that we helped push you through!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

HermosaBoy

If I am reading the results correctly -- looks like you put a hurt on second place and beat him by almost 12 minutes???

WOW!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Unbelievable. If anyone deserved this, it's you Mike. You trained hard - and running in Minnesota winter conditions that often left a lot to be desired. Even the long runs you did on the treadmill were amazing. And running under 3:00? I can't even fathom that.

I'm glad your family was there to see your great race and cheer you on. Congratulations!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Guess that answers my question of whether you had anyone pushing you. Good for you to ignore not feeling good and letting the training carry you. I think you were just excited to NOT be on a TM.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Okay--I guess that's all I have to say about it. Again--I really appreciate all of your support. And--honestly--when I crossed that finish line I carried each one of you over it with me.  Thank you!

Dang!  I've never won a race before! Thanks for carrying me! 

You. are. amazing.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Dang!  I've never won a race before! Thanks for carrying me! 

You. are. amazing.

Yes!!! thanks for carrying us ALL!!!!

You are our here, you know!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Holy Cow. Outstanding.

SteveP

NHLA

Way to go Mike!!

Tramps

This is completely awesome on so many different levels!  The training, the near-misses in the past, not feeling well at the start, helping a half-marathoner in the middle, having your support crew cheer you on, getting your sub-3, and winning the thing to put the icing on the cake!  How cool is all that?  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.  Great training, great attitude, great results.  Congratulations.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

This was a great report about an amazing race! Congrats, Mike, on having all your work pay off in such a spectacular way! Maybe the distraction of not feeling well before the race helped you to not over-think it, and to stay relaxed through the first few miles. Or maybe it is just that you are a terrific runner, and it was your day! But what happened to hanging on the shoulder of the early leader and letting him do all the work? It seems like that lasted for a mile or two before you found fifth gear and took off. I guess you just couldn't help yourself with all that clear road ahead of you... 

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!  I am so happy for you ~~~

This deserves multiple dancing bananas!!!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Gosh, what a terrific race, for a terrific person that deserves this so much.  And wonderful to hear that your family was there to cheer you on, and your RA family was virtually there too!!  You are a huge inspiration to all of us.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Very nice Mike and it was good to see all that hard work pay off for you.

Enjoy the moment cause I'm sure you'll find another hill to challenge yourself.

Well done.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

WOW Mike! Just WOW! what a freakin' unbelievable race you ran!! I'm so happy for you and Bill is right, you are selling yourself short by saying all the fast runners were at other marathons. Congratulations!!

Tammy