Masters Running

Monday June 20th runs (or not) (Read 563 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good morning everyone,

Just getting caught up with some weekend reading.  Erika - you are on wild and crazy midnight madness runner!  Wow.  Leslie - stay strong.  Tamster - great marathon!  And Mary - congrats on DD's 23rd birthday.  Why is it the mom is always forgotten on the birthday?  You worked the hardest that day!

PBJ Jr.'s team lost 5-4 in the rookie league baseball championship.  He had two strikeouts - at least he went down swinging.  It was a classic ball game.  They went down 3 runs in the first half inning, scored two in the bottom half to get close, then went down 5-2 in the third.  Battled back to 5-4 in the 4th, but then both teams brought in their "closers" for the 5th and 6th innings - no runs; not even any hits.

Still no dishwasher...

Yesterday - the family let me go on a long run for father's day - 17 miles.  Felt pretty good.  Then we had steaks on the grill, and strawberry rhubarb pie.  It doesn't get any better than that!  Enjoy the day all.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning PBJ--and everybody else.

I just read marathon derrick's story about his dad on the Sunday's thread.  Very nice.

No run for me yeserday.  I had soccer practice at 5:00.  A soccer practice that I thought was at 4:00 so I got there, set everything up and waited.  When nobody showed up, I realized it was at 5:00.  I'm an idiot.  After soccer practice, I went to my daughter's house who grilled steaks and corn on the cob and baked potatoes--it was good.  Of course, I had to have another little soccer scrimmage with the grandkids in the yard.

I'll run after wo...oops...I'll RAW.  Hopefully, I can get it in before the thunderstorms roll in.

HermosaBoy

Morning all -- typical Rosie run for me this morning.  4.4 miles while the overnight humidity is still up.  That was one hot dog afterwards.  Took 1/2 an hour for her to stop panting.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

TammyinGP

Opie, I think you are right. Had I trained a bit better for this, I could have PR'd. I definitely think this is a good course to PR on provided the weather cooperates, which it did this year. I felt like I was running a slight downhill about 75% of the time - or else that tailwind helped me feel that way. But this round of training was not like last years. I had to skip a few runs here and there and there were a few long runs that didn't make it quite as long as they should have been. Plus, last year I was imbedding races in many of my long runs, so they were like tempo long runs for me. It's all fine though. I had a great time and my parents loved seeing me in this type of setting. My dad said that night he had "running dreams". He ran track in HS and even had the school record at the 800m for a few yrs. He never ran again after he graduated and went in the AF, but there still that part of him that remembers fondly what it was like to run in competitions and the thrill of it.

I need to pull up the results and see who the elites were that were there and who won. haven't even looked at that yet.

Erika - you blow me away girl! simply amazing!

I might head out for a couple ez miles. My legs are feeling pretty good today.

Tammy

Slo

I've been very busy, not posting and just skimming the threads.

After skimming yesterdays thread I just wanted to chime in and say thanks to marathon derrick for sharing that story about his Dad.

While I'm here...Thunder Boomers kept the run at bay this morning. Hopefully I'll find a windoe to RAW.

Mariposai

Seeing this a father's day thread I like to share a story:

My father and I were never real close, growing-up when I was young, less than7, dad was in the Army and was in Korea for most of that time so we stayed with Grandma&Pa, in TN.  When he retired from Army,1966, we moved to MI.  He hired into GM and worked 2nd shift so he was not home alot.  I was always into sports and was big  for my age.  By the 5 th grade I was taller than mom and by the end of 6 th  Iwas bigger than my dad.  My dad was not very athletic and by 12 years old I threw to hard for my dad to play catch any more.  The one thing my dad could do with me was hunt. Not that my dad was a big hunter, but because I was interested he decided that he would take me.  My first day out I got a pheasant ,dad missed several that day.  The last weekend of the pheasant season dad and I went out we put a bird up I missed but dad shot and it fluttered a little and it flew aways then landed about a 100 yds away. We tried for awhile to find it and our dog finally rousted it again. It  flew about 50 yds this time we looked and looked for the pheasant finally after a hour our dog caught the pheasant. We looked at my dad's 1st pheasant and didn't find any injuries, put then we saw a small wound behind it's eye.  HE had hit the bird with 1 BB.  After I was grown and married my DW and I would go visit mom and dad, and every time we visited my dad would bring up the 1 bb behind the eye story.  My wife would say I think your dad is losing it he tells that story every time we visit, and I would laugh.  Dad died in 1997 in car crash on 12-2, 10 days before 71 st bday.  You know I sure wish I could hear him tell that story again!  The moral  to this story is that even though the memory is so important to me now, it was just  as important to my father while he was alive, that one moment we shared together.

Marathon Derrick posted this last night. What a lovely story.

Tamster, you did great in your marathon. Just think, you were able to run the same time with much less training.Shocked

{{{Rosie}}} hot running must be hard for dogs. You know what is sad? I love dogs and I have never owned one!

4 easy miles in cool, sunshine weather. 

Here is to good week to all!

Can't wait to hear from the Team Trout-Slap stories.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Busy day at work ..... rest day from running .... but not these guys.    Here we are on steps that first day, that is Hudson on the bottom, he's the master stair climber.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

HermosaBoy

Ok Mary, these puppy pictures are killing me.

Here is Miss Rosie as a pup...

Rob

Dave59

Lots of great running in the forum over the weekend.  I got in one good run while I was over in Green Bay but the rest of the time was spent visiting with my daughter. 

Taking the ferry from Manitowoc to Ludington was fun.  Overall trip time was the same as driving around Lake Michigan because you had to be at the ferry an hour before it left.  But actual time in the car was just over 3 hours instead of 7.5.

I took today off work as my "recover from vacation day".  I ran to the gym, worked out, and ran back (3 miles total).  Now, I am drinking coffee out of my Packers Super Bowl XLV Champions mug.

Still to do: some grocery shopping, some laundry, and cutting the grass.  Shouldn't take too long.

wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy, so glad to hear it wasn't super hot at your marathon like you feared.  Sounds like perfect conditions!  Any pictures to share?

Lamerunner, glad your DD is OK but sorry the car is not. 

Mary and Rob - thanks for the puppy pictures!  We had a husky mix named Chinook about 20 years ago who was afraid of stairs.  We lived in a one-floor house, so the first time she encountered stairs was at my sister's house one Christmas.  She could go up okay, but she was scared to go down, and would sit at the top whining.  She eventually figured it out.

Since we're doing dog pictures, here's one of Ladybug (lying down) and Tazzie (standing).  They're best buddies.  Mariposai, what's stopping you from getting a dog if you love them?

ETA:  Forgot to mention we got an inch of wet snow last night.  The poor aspen trees looked like weeping willows.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

HermosaBoy

So, during the half marathon on Saturday -- I paced CamScam the whole way.  What happens when the finish line comes into site? 

He decides he wants to win...

Got me by a second according to the results...

ETA -- Ribs, did I do OK with the shirt/shoes match?

Rob

Mike E

MM #5615

ETA -- Ribs, did I do OK with the shirt/shoes match?

Couldn't you find an ugly green hat to match?  Really cool picture, by the way!

King of PhotoShop

Certainly the form on both Hermosas is a joy to see, just plain flying!  As to those shoes, they look like Saucony Kinvara's but I am not sure. I have a pair of them in this color.  I generally match the shorts to them, rather than the shirt but you look great I think.  I used to call them neon green, but rtravers recently corrected me and told me they are krypton green.  Good for her!

Marathon Derrick, and any of you, I would happily read a story as tender as that any time.  What a wonderful memory.

I raced over the weekend, and here are my recollections from Dadfest, the local 5K which supports prostate cancer screening:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/

Spareribs

TammyinGP

Rob, those are awesome pics!! My running photos are always dreadful and I look like I'm doing a death march! MikeE did take a few of me and posted them on FB. I haven't pulled up the marathon site yet to see if my pics are available yet. will do that.

went out for a 2 mile run. ended up with 2.5, 25:00. felt good and easy. in fact, I probably feel better now than I did before I ran.

Tammy

HermosaBoy

Certainly the form on both Hermosas is a joy to see, just plain flying!  As to those shoes, they look like Saucony Kinvara's but I am not sure. I have a pair of them in this color.  I generally match the shorts to them, rather than the shirt but you look great I think.  I used to call them neon green, but rtravers recently corrected me and told me they are krypton green.  Good for her!

Spareribs

CamScam is wearing the Kinvaras -- I am wearing Asics Hyperspeeds.

Rob