Masters Running

40s On the Run - Living Life to Its Fullest (Wk. of 05/04/08) (Read 387 times)

Top 'O the World!

Ahck! I forgot the fashion report! Blush ....Not that I did anything terribly noteworthy (other than the afforementioned "Gas Cap" w/coupla gel packs..)....white (incredibly soft!) Colorado Half Marathon tech T, olive Addidas capris, Mango Peal Izumi Shines, blk/gry Nike gloves, blk micro-fiber pullover jacket/ski shirt for the 1st frosty coupla hrs....(NOT throwing that one away!!) then tied around my waist, REI Single Shot hydration pack (see water bottle) w/pocket for ipod, hard candies, chapstick, sunscreen packs, car remote, cell phone (off), & later - gloves in the bungee! I kin stuff alot in a pocket the size of my fist!! & sunglasses....modified my ipod playlist to include: Genesis, Brad Paisley, Jimmy Buffett, Sugarland, Collective Soul, U2, Santana, Eagles, Trace Adkins, Rascal Flatts..... R2: from DH....ah, yeah....Snorkle's family farm is "just around the corner" from DH's Mom's place...they all grew up (if you can call it that! Roll eyes ) together....our niece is still "storing" a gelding on the From Family Farm....& the last time we saw Steve in person (I've only met him @ Oktoberfest, Sidney) he gave us the last book he'd written, "The Reincarnation of Bennett McKinney"...I still haven't read it.... Blush This is the official (according to some National Association whose name completely escaped me during my 1st cup of coffee!!) "National Run A Mile Day" to commemorate the day that Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile back in 1954 w/3:59.4 So get out there everybody for at least ONE MILE!!! (gots me some vitamin I & ginger in fronta me in prep!) ......still off work today......I kin feel ma legs this am....I wanna go back to da numb nubs! Big grin (kidding!) Mairead & I walked (not counting mandatory shopping & errands) 4.27 mosey miles yesterday....@ one point I attempted to 'trot' across the intersection w/Jumbo Jamba Juice in hand....it was not good!! Blush .....stretching & just generally "moving stuff" throughout the day....folks @ the Bolder Boulder retail store just looked at me "knowingly" (had to buy the tech shirt that says "Sea Level is for Sissies" Big grin whilst signing up DH for the race).... however, folks @ Sam's club...well, lets just say it was a different kinda look! Have an Awesome Day folks!! Smile Cindy
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      The race reports were great guys! We're super proud of you both. Yep, Mr. Jim, we're waitin' for yours too! Cindy, you seriously crack me up! Oh, and the tech shirt "sea level is for sissies", now THAT is funny. I often wonder how I would feel running in that type of elevation, because I am definately a sea level gal. But seriously, could I go from running in Florida to running in Colorado WITHOUT side effects or is that a given? BREAKING NEWS......I did an a.m. run today! Woot, woot! Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Cindy - What a great report! Yout got talent, girlfriend. You can just feel the great time you had. Joe - What an incredible finishing time!! Woot Woot!!! Jewels - We're proud of you for getting the buns out in the early morning hours. As much as I hate getting up so stinking early, it's my preferred running time. Nobody's around (well, almost nobody), very little traffic. It's like you're in your own little cocoon. Arla - Re the nutrition info I sent you. I forgot to back it up with the fact that I believe the information is based around my trail running. That may be why there's a lot of calorie intake on the long runs. Did an hour of aerobic/strength training with The Firm gals. They gotta go. I didn't hardly break a sweat, let alone get my heart rate up and keep it up. With the exception of the strength portions, it felt like a bit waste of time. I have a line on a refurbished Lemond RevMaster stationary bike for a sweet deal in So. Cal. I should find out today if it's still available, shipping cost, etc. Keep your fingers crossed! (Hey - my boss' renter just came in with cash for her rent. Hmmmm . . . . . Wink )

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I 2nd that hmmmm..... Big grin
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Garage Sales are "profitable" this time of year?! Wink Big grin
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - The ...Best ...EVER race report! I love the pics of the gals in the outhouse! Joe - smokin' time on you half! It's hard to believe you were injured just a short time ago. So...what's next for you... hmmm?? Big grin Jewels - we may not be able to hang with the high elevation crowd, but we got 'em beat in the heat! (I did a slow 5 mi in 84F temps today...) Wink Leslie - aha, that makes sense - you're doing a lot of climbing on those trail runs, I wouldn't be surprised if that doubled your calorie needs. Here's a video for all those with that "what happened to my legs" feeling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I Arla

Ex runner

Okay, Arla, that was too funny! I was laughing out loud!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Great Arla ! that was too funny! To answer your question,the summer is going to include alot of trail miles for Buddy and I. It's our favorite place. I will do a couple of local 5-milers, because they're close to home and fun. Keep between 30-35mpw and see what the fall racing season looks like Roll eyes Jewels- I'll be out there in the early morn too.Mostly feels like alot less stressfull world. I'm a sea level guy too,mostly. Cindy - did you know that under your posts, there's that " m " word? You're going for double of Sunday?!?! Big grin Leslie- biking's good,but it's not running. I'm following in your footsteps and heading to the trails now that my road training has finished.Of course,they're more like narrow dirt roads around here,but it sure beats dodging the cars!! Very slow 4.5 miles in the trails with Buddy today.Pretty hot at 75* but we brought alot of water and went as slow as possible! Ca ya's

jfa

Oh yea,before I forget. Trent had this posted on another thread. Won't come by NJ, but I'm going to get running with it somehow. http://www.runforthefallen.org/

Well, ideas about the stationary bike are being tossed around. The SoCal bike would probably cost $160 +/- to ship, which brings the nice price of $375 up quite a bit. The local health club at which my friend and our coach works would sell me a used one for $695 plus tax (new, they're about $1,200 plus shipping). I asked Coach Bill about an alternative, and he's suggesting maybe a normal bike on a trainer. His friend has a mountain bike he wants to sell for $50, and a trainer would be $90-$200 depending on how many bells and whistles you want. I just want something I can ride comfortably for an alternative cardio workout. The plus side of a regular bike would be if I do completely lose my mind and decide I want to hit the roads, well, I'd already have the bike! If I can go this route, then I would have more time to save my pennies to purchase a nice stationary bike down the road. Nope, Joe, biking isn't running, but when the wind's blowing 90 miles an hour in the winter and it's pouring down rain and 35 degrees outside, having an indoor cardio alternative completely blows my excuses for not getting up and working out. . . . . . . . . . so then maybe I don't want a bike . . . . Wink

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I did what you're thinking about with a bike - got a $20 bike at a thrift store or garage sale (I forget) and maybe a $60 windtrainer and I was good to go. DO NOT put a nice bike on a trainer, unless you can ride on rollers - you'll wreck your headset (BTDT). Joe - a steady 30 - 35 mpw should give you an awesome base, particularly since you've got trails ... *sigh* My favorite part of that little video is the guy just staring at the stairs. Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

OMG that's funny Arla!!! I had to watch that twice!! Still giggling! That guy shoulda been staring down at a flight of stairs!! Yup! thas me!! or rather, it was yesterday@! Big grin had a death grip on the hand railing of the stairs to the Bolder Boulder retail store...... muuuch better today! the walking's helping....along w/vit I & ginger....glass(es) of wine goin' on now..... Before I get going too much: new grandson, Jared Lane @ 6:17pm MT, 8lbs 8.2 oz, 21" Smile now I gotta wait till Saturday to go see him.. Sad..I hear he's got a "good amount" of hair & great lungs! Cool me & Mairead walked 8ish miles while chatting on the phone between labor "activities" .... what else could I do?!? anchored here w/the other grandkids...she's up in NE.... Anyways..somewhere in there, when everything felt loosened up...I attempted a minor jog....NOT YET! didn't hurt...just didn't work!. Embarrassed..coulda auditioned fer that there video!! mebbe one more day of walking.... Yeesss Joe, that be the "m" word....Denver Marathon Oct 19, '08....I signed on w/Team in Training for that one....Whaaatt!? I got six months of much warmer mornings to train!!(although, not nearly as "warm" as Arla & Jewels!!!- I be wimpy in the heat!! - Mairead seconds that!)....& .before that, I have: in 3 wks, the Bolder Boulder (10K) + street party, Slacker HM June 28th (Mairead gets to go along for that one), starting @ almost 12,000' elv. Shocked & it's allll downhill from there!! & I signed up as a volunteer massage therapist/tent setter upper for the Trans Rockies Run week of Aug 31st.... & I'd really like to lose that other 28lbs in there somewhars!! all in all, I think I have a pretty laid back Summer planned! Big grin Big grin..... Ref: the Run for the Fallen....come run a segment in SW CO! Beautiful country through Pagosa Springs! Wink Yay Jewels!! Run fer me chickie!! Wink oh wait, I don't haf a new training schedule till Saturday..... I'm game for the trail running too....plans to spend whatever time I can up @ the mtn house during the summer....& hopefully I'll get some run time whilst helping w/the TransRockies Run... & now, Amy has threatened me w/fines unless I post a more "publik" RR...so forgive the dupes...

flatland mountaineer

We got back in the field yesterday trying to get a mucky muck field done before it rained again, and got er done so can get this typed up. Yesterdays reports are a very tough act to follow but here goes anyway. Goodall (rec center) Gallop 5k Ogallala NE We knew about this little fun run/race for some time, May 3 isn't the best time even if its only 30 miles from home. We didn't preregister or anything, would just go for it if we got rain or if it worked out. Didn't really look good with Lynda and I purging all body contents earlier in the week. Friday brought 6 inches of snow and we found out they postponed until Sunday at 1 pm. So now the only question remained is if that 5 pounds I lost last week would make me faster. Wink Got there an hour early, the first ones there and signed in, our packet consisted of a My Name Is sticker that you handed to the teen carrying the appropriate sign board for your age group. Teeshirts were ordered and manufactured while you ran. Age groups were birth to almost college, college to middle age, and old. This is a really small laid back race mind you, as we were learning. Beings we figured the line to the porta-potties would be really short we decided to take a spin in Lynda's car round the course. Lots of corners a, little dirt road, a u-turn, a little elevation gain toward the rattlesnake hills but not to the top, lots more turns then back to the rec center. When we got back people were starting to arrive, some of the usual suspects at local races and others out for a nice walk on a gorgeous spring day. Only blocks from the school track Lynda and I jogged over and did some warmup laps. 34 years ago my freshman track coach made me run a leg in the mile relay on this old track, my first and last track race. I did 3 laps coming up to pace then slowing near the end. As race timed neared 40 or 50 participants gathered 4 foot behind the start line. "Thats so Ogallala" remarked a woman lined up near me. "No one wants to line up first" she said. A few of the faster guys from previous races took a step or two forward and called it good. We were started with one of those pocket air-horn things and we were off. I angled for the corner got some open room and slowed down. We headed downhill slightly and I was running fairly easy sub 8. I was passing quite a few folks here as normal in the first mile or so. I did the u-turn and caught a couple more gals that were running just slightly slower than me. Its my tendency to just fall in and coast so made myself take to the passing lane when I caught someone. The start of mile 2 turned uphill and I began questioning why I thought needed to be running hard, the activity I hated so much 34 years ago. The Garmin said my pace had slowed to 9:30 ish before cresting out. We turned downhill for mile 3 and I began reeling in a twenty something guy a couple hundred yards ahead. With 0.1 to go I came to the conclusion that I had reached my vomit quota for the month, the effort required to try and make one more pass at the finish would have definitely put me over and finished about 30 yards behind. 25:24 for a new PR by 34 seconds. Grabbed the camera and played race photog for Lynda's finnish. She was a couple minutes off her PR but finished well. Fashion report Running wild cap from PS, Black starter tech shirt, nike dri fit shorts, mizuno elixars scored for $40 off a sale rack. Lynda's see for yourself.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

flatland mountaineer

Cindy congrats on the new grandbabe. I know most of the Sidney/Lodgpole horse/rodeo folks. Arla 40 mile week is a huge accomplishment, great job!! Jewels, headlamps are good, dw has a cool little Petzyl. I know I couldn't handle that kind of heat and humidity. Joe even though I know you could have pulled it off (full mary) I am so glad you did the half. Next year you'll do it and enjoy it. Leslie your a training machine, you have so earned the success thats sure to come your way. Carol sorry about your stepdad but good that he got diagnosed so he could be treated. And with that I better hit the showers so we can do it again tommorow. Starting on dryland, hope to sneak in a tempo in the morn.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Whoa!! GIANT PR for r2!!! Amazing considering you were coming off that bug...I don't suppose you'd recommend that as a training method? Big grin Cindy - congrats on the new grandbaby!! That Slacker HM sounds tough, that could be a lot of downhill if you're starting at 12,000 ft Shocked Arla

Ex runner