Masters Running

My health has taken a turn for the worst (Read 690 times)

Tall, sorry you're going through this. As you said, you'll overcome.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Thanks everyone, so appreciated. As usual Spareribs is very perceptive. Yes, I have pretty much only one speed. Fast and although over the years I have slowed down some, it's still an issue for me. There is a great little book out there called. Don't Sweat the Little Stuff and iit's all Little Stuff and one of the things I have to keep reminding myself from the book is "To Cut Myself Some Slack". It's never good enough,I am never quite satsfied. Always going the extra mile for other people and for those closest to me. Part of the discussion that led us astray with my lady friend was specifically around this constant need to do and to never be satisfied, while she just wants to enjoy. Yes there are other things, but this is one of the biggest and one that I drag behind me from my first marriage. But as I get older I am getting smarter. Hopefully I will live long enough to laugh about it one day. Thanks guys Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{{Tall}}}} Please keep us posted. We're all pulling for you here.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

whatever tammy says is what I say too from now on. We’re hopin’ everything will be back to normal soon when tax, divorce, etc. are all done and you can focus on your girlfriend, . . . I mean your running. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Prince of Fatness

You say you have not been feeling well. Have you been taking cold medicine? If so you need to watch out when you take decongestants. Many are no good if you have high blood pressure. It could be stress etc., compounded my meds. I say this because I have been on mild blood pressure medicine for quite a few years, and have to be careful which cold meds I take. It's mostly the decongestants that you have to watch for, but read the warning labels on the stuff you take. Hope this helps.

Not at it at all. 

Tall You have listened here to many friends who have followed your various life situations over the recent months. You know that you are greatly respected in here. The "all out" pace you use does work for a long time in life but often it has to be adjusted and tapered at some stage. I know because that was my pace for years. I lived on little sleep and a pure adrenelin drive for 40 years. It was then that I realized I was a heart attack waiting to happen. A cholesterol check around that time pointed out to me that I HAD to make some changes. Through a better diet and exercise (my main reason for running), I have been able to still live a life far more active than most my age and stay fulfilled in my life. I was fortunate in that I didn't need to use medication to bring the numbers down to a sensible level. It is sort of like a basketball game. You play hard, you press, you run the fast break, and go all out for the first half. Since the game is early and you are in good shap, this plan works well. But then you come to the third quarter. You then realize that you CAN still do most of the same things that you did in the first half. But you have to go a little slower and a little less intense because you can sense you don't have enough in the tank to do more. However, you also know that you want to be around and still in the game for the fourth quarter. This will only happen as you pace yourself starting in the third quarter and learn when to "turn it on" and when to use your head and coast a bit. Tall, since you want to be around to enjoy your kids in this next quarter as they go to college, get married, etc you have to make the adjustment and pace yourself now. The same thing is true with your new lady friend. She will only be enjoyed if you are still around. It sounds like she is perceptive and can be a great help to you in this change. Most definitely she is a worthy goal and worth making the changes for. Some things you can't change in your life. But the areas that you CAN, that is where the relief will come. You will do fine. But make the pace adjustment now. This is a voice of experience here. Good luck.
              Vista
                hey Tall - glad you went to the doctor to have things checked out........will be sending calm, healing thoughts your way!!

denise

HermosaBoy

But this too I will overcome. One day at a time.
                  My thoughts are with you bud!!! As my friend told me when I was going through my divorce -- everything happens for a reason. The interesting part is seeing what the reason is!!! You will get through this! Keep the kiddoes in the forefront and all will be well (just my opinion).

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

GreenMan

{{{Tall}}} you will overcome. you have inner strength. jjj
                    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                      Tall, There is not much I can say that hasn't been echoed by these wise folks on this forum. Some people are just wired to be type A AND feel compelled to do and do for others and it sounds like this is you! This may be the wake-up call that saves your life. Think of those girls and sloowww down, please!
                      Cashmason

Dunno if you enjoy a couple of drinks to unwind at the end of the day, but found this in today's news. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080304/hl_nm/alcohol_pressure_dc_1;_ylt=AvFiQM19mr6tEOHR1dY18s8E1vAI
                          Tall, so sorry to hear this. But it's a good thing that you know something's going on and you're going to get treated. Please do keep us informed. We're pulling for you! Jem
                            Tall, I almost can feel your anxiety in every posting. I hope that all your medical problems are resolved quickly. I was a lot like that a few years back. I had a pregnate wife 2 kids 2 jobs and was taking 12 credit hours of school. They took me out of work one day on a stretcher in an ambulance. I can still see my wifes face as they rolled me into emergancy! I went through every test they had ,short of a heart cath. and checked out fine. After 3 days in the hospital my Dr,. had a long talk with me about how stress can kill. The pain although stress related is real. I ,like you , think of my family as my #1 priority but if I am not around where will they be? The good news is once I found out the cause it was not long before I took care of my problem. Yes I still have not finished my degree and yes we get by with a little less money but life is really really sweet !!! By the way My oldest graduated college in December and my youngest is Joining the Airforce and I am still married and I am running my first marathon in MAY! Priorities are sometimes a confusing concept. Confused Best of luck Tall, We are all plugging for you.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Henrun

Tall, you've been given some good advice on this thread and I can add very little. The one thing not mentioned (and as you may or may not know I'm a retired psychiatrist) is some sort of professional counselling. Talking to someone who is objective would be t your advantage and extremely helpful. I say this from professional and personal experience. You recognize the stresses in your life and you can certainly overcome them in a healthy way. Best of luck.
                                Vista/Hallar Thank you for the heartfelt posts and your kindness in posting some of your own difficult experiences. Yes I am slowing down my life as much as I can and prioritizing (tough to do with so much going on) and Henrun I am in the process of trying to get a couple of sessions in with a counsellor to discuss my stressors. My lady friend actually recommended that I do this and she was quite clear that for us to proceed as a couple I need to deal with some of these problems. A smart lady. Hopefully we can work out our differences. Thanks again Tall

Recent Best times: None recently