Masters Running

Sunday G'Day from the West Coast (Read 476 times)

Seriously?  I'm starting the daily?  And it's 8:30 here?  I think I've stepped into the RA Twilight Zone.

Haven't worked out yet, but am planning on breakfast out with a friend.  So I guess I'll be working out my left hand: lift fork, bend arm toward mouth, shove food in mouth, lower arm to table.  Yeah, that's it!  A bicep workout!

Have a good one, folks -

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Leslie.. I think they are all recovering from running in the heat Shocked

I know I am...

ran for 3 hrs 20 min 49 secs for 20.2 miles at 9:55 pace. Drank 4.5 pints of water then a 32 oz McDonald's chocolate shake after the run.... still lost 8 lbs! McDonald's large shake: 1160 calories, 20 mile run: 2000 calories... still hungry... but a bit nauseous from the shake. 70 mile week!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

HermosaBoy

HOT AND HUMID in Minnesota.  85 degrees and humid.  Cut my 16 miler back to 12.1.  Time to avoid heat the rest of the day...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Good Afternoon Everyone,  

My regular runnin'partner is doin' San Fran Marathon today  

I did a hilly 6.2 course 2x  1st alone in 1:00:50 2nd w/ a young power lifter who is trying body building, so he needs to get ripped like me Big grin

We did it in 1:01:40 he was very happy with that... 

Tim nice tat!

That's a good run Perch.  I've discovered I can't have anything milk based after a hot run or it gets ugly...  

Be Cool! 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

Today's medium-long run was sweet for me, because I got 16 in on a very tough day, but I also reflected that it was 3 years ago today that I was blessed with a new aortic valve and 3 new coronary arteries. I am lucky to be running at all, much less this well.  As people often quote, "enjoy the gift."  I know I am.

Holly, I am so glad you are playing golf.  The relaxation, the walking, the focus, the sharing with family, are all wonderful about the game. I played for many years, as did the Saint, and I found it to be a wonderful complement to running.  It used to drive my fellow club members nuts that I would run 20 miles in the morning and play 18 holes in the afternoon, carrying my bag.  Keep at it.  Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Today's medium-long run was sweet for me, because I got 16 in on a very tough day, but I also reflected that it was 3 years ago today that I was blessed with a new aortic valve and 3 new coronary arteries. I am lucky to be running at all, much less this well.  As people often quote, "enjoy the gift."  I know I am.

Fantastic!... do something very special to celebrate!  That 16 mile run in the Texas heat was very special!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Happy Birthday/Anniversary, Ribs.  Time flies when you're once again healthy and lovin' life, doesn't it?

Good runs to all you gentlemen, especially consider the weather conditions you are having to deal with.  It's not a heat wave here.  Not in the least.  Completely overcast, high 50s right now.  Our typical North Coast weather.  Triple digits inland, sucky here.  We may see the sun around mid to late afternoon.  I keep putting off my bike ride 'cause I know it's gonna be cold.  I'll do my best to blow some of this weather toward all of you folks suffering in H&H. Smile

Okay.  Breakfast is settled and I've procrastinated enough.  Time to hit the road.  See ya on the flip side.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Nice racing for C-R, tet, Twocat, steve, Noah, and Tag.  bike, I like the tattoo. {{{fatizzig}}}, ribs, great to celebrate the anniversary of your new heart valve.

Nice long runs for BTY, heme, bike (after long bike ride), perch, hermosa, ribs, and Sarge.

This morning, it was about 70° and calm.  I did 5 miles in about 51:30 for a 10:18 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks for this reminder that, no matter what the conditions and our own speed or skill with this running thing, just the ability to get out there and trot around for a while is a precious gift, one we should never take for granted.

Re golf – you worked harder than we did – we only played 9 holes and we used pullcarts.  We are very fortunate to live near a lovely public course that is quite reasonable in rates, and on the weekends kids play free after 4pm – even more incentive to go out as a family event, now that DD is 9 and able to play well enough to go on the course.   My favorite part is when we get to the 9th hole, located at one of the highest points in the county, and you can see for miles, lovely and green, the buildings of downtown Dayton barely visible far off in the distance.  The green on that hole is at the bottom of a long and steep hill – in winter it is our sledding hill. I always dream of getting a drive long enough to sail over the lip of that hill, but alas, it is never going to happen...Smile

20.6 miles for me today - 71º and 98% when I started out, and the patio thermometer read 84º when I finished.  Not a particularly special run, slow and steady at about a 10:19 ave pace, stopping at the water fountains on the river path every 2 miles for a drink.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Spareribs, this must have been a very, very special run for you! I remember how much we were thinking and praying for you and your family in those weeks.

Holly, great 20 miler for you in that heat! That pace is nothing to be ashamed off! You are going to have so much in Equinox!

Today was one day I am glad I did not have to do a long run. It was already 79 when I woke up at 9:30 Surprised)

So, instead of running I just put my garden outfit on and started pulling weeds mercilessly in my vegetable garden. While I was busy pumping iron and training in the lost month the weeds were also busy growing, trying to compete with the veggies in growth Black eye.

So, 2 hours of gardening so far, I just came in now to plaster another layer of sun screen and off I go again!

Have fun in the heat!!! It is 87  and splendid around here!!!  

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...after being

a Complete Idiot

and mowing as fast as I could yesterday to beat a ThunderStorm,

I wound up using my CRUTCH

for a couple of hours for a spasm down the inside of my thigh....

there are

days

I just wonder

WhatTheHellWasIThinking...

=========

so, THIS

morning I caned out 20min at the Y trails,

not counting it as a SetBack,

but

definitely A Reality Check.

If

no orthotics,

no braces,

then

no LegWork

Sounds Simple, right??

apparently n0t.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

If

no braces,

then

no LegWork

Sounds Simple, right??

apparently n0t.

+ 1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Leslie sure does seem chipper today.  Sounds nice.

Holly--it's really neat that you've found an activity your whole family enjoys doing together.  

Congratulations on the milestone Ribs.  Yeah--you must see thing in a way that not many of us do--and never want to, either.

I went for a 7 mile run through a new trail system by my house, today.  It's a really nice tree covered trail so it made running in the heat a little more tolerable.  Eric rode my bike along side of me and kept me company and hydrated.  It was really pretty cool that he went with me and really cool that he was concerend about how I was doing. He kept asking if I needed water and if I was okay.  He may have his problems, but he's a pretty caring kid deep down.  So 7 miles in 52:17.

That's a good run Perch.  I've discovered I can't have anything milk based after a hot run or it gets ugly...  

McDonald's milkshakes have milk in them?  I thought it was all "edible oils".

Nice hot and humid long runs folks.  I am just amazed sometimes.  Like Tet, when it gets to 75F here I start complaining.  This extra cool summer we have been having has not been a problem for me.

Yesterday I gave up my run to tackle the overgrown weeds etc. with our heavy duty weed wacker.  My arm was so sore that this morning I could barely brush my teeth.  Still lots to do.

Today I said, I will run!  I forgot my pass to the state park so I came home and only did my 4 mile neighbourhood route - stopping a few times to cool the engine, you know 67F is still hot to me.  I did one pick up at 7:48 pace near the end, which surprised me.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Leslie sure does seem chipper today.  Sounds nice.

Eric rode my bike along side of me and kept me company and hydrated.  It was really pretty cool that he went with me and really cool that he was concerend about how I was doing. He kept asking if I needed water and if I was okay.  He may have his problems, but he's a pretty caring kid deep down.

Thanks, Mike.  I'm getting my head wrapped around the whole thing.  I'm looking at it this way:

First, we are not the only couple who has had to go through something like this (I'm talkin' jail here).  I'm a big girl, so I need to just suck it up and deal with it.

Second, if military spouses can send their husbands and wives to another country for a year or more at a time, not knowing if they'll return alive, I can deal with my husband sitting a few miles away from me (when I'm at home, a block away when I'm at work) in a jail cell.

Third, this is a going to be a good time for both of us to continue to reflect on how the hell we got here in the first place.

And YEA for Eric riding his bike with you!  Perhaps your trip together made more of an impact than you anticipated.  Will keep praying that he continues to see how much you love him.

Sounds like TomW and Enke need to get together on the yard work thing. Big grin

I loved getting a Mickey D's milkshake after our long runs in Trinidad (the town, not the country).  Something to look forward to once I'm traipsing those wonderful trails again.

Once again it was proved that getting off your butt and doing something physical makes you feel oh so much better.  A good friend took me to breakfast this morning, and when I got home I hemmed and hawed about whether or not I wanted to go for a bike ride.  Finally told myself to get out there and I'm glad I did.  About 20 min into the ride, the sun came out, and I ended up thoroughly enjoying myself.  16 miles in 2 hours, which included my first off road experience out at Headwaters and 3 or 4 good climbs.  Two of them, I had to get off the bike and walk part way. Blush

Part of the problem is I can't put a lot of pressure on my left foot, so I have to position the pedal toward the middle back of the foot, which means I can't get a lot of power out of that leg.  Standing to pedal is out for the same reason . . . . . and also because my balance is a bit whacked. Roll eyes

But it was a good, solid workout, and between yesterday and today, my legs are sufficiently pooped.  Now I need to decide on doing transcription (which I really need to complete) or work on sanding and priming the problem spots on the house (which I really need to do).

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance