Masters Running

Post your winter running tips here (Read 496 times)

Next to proper clothing, the most important thing for winter running is attitude. I have not run in the extremes as some have (the -23F and such) but I have run in very cold 10F and howling wind and blinding snow. The clothing allows me to stay warm, but the attitude gets me out the door and allows for greta runs each and every time. All conditions are IRC!
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Windchill is the biggest factor I face on the treeless plains of Nebraska and my number one secret weapon is ski goggles over a snowmobiler's face sock. My most memorable run was at 5 degrees with light snow and just enough snow on the road to cushion, surreal!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I like the ski goggles idea. I would get some funny looks, though!
        bap

Long sleeve below about 55 degrees. Gloves below 40 degrees to avoid dry skin. Warm hat below 35 degrees. Long pants below 22 degrees unless its a race, in which case you may overheat.

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

I have heard of people trying this... put hot water in a water bottle and head out. this keeps your hands warm untill the point where 1. the water bottle is no longer warm, and 2. you are generating enough heat that your hands are not as cold. Then 3. you can drink the water now. It seems to me like this would not be enough in really cold days and below 40 you'll probably want gloves anyway. Esspecially if the wind is blowing. So maybe this only works for 40-50 degrees.

I don't have a tip, I just want to move south. Sad I understand there is humidity. Tongue I'll still trade my Dec-Jen-Feb for your June-July-August. Wink
              Masters 2000 miles
              xor

I don't have a tip, I just want to move south. Sad I understand there is humidity. Tongue I'll still trade my Dec-Jen-Feb for your June-July-August. Wink
                Fiddlesticks to that. Maybe you could handle August in Houston, but I bet you wouldn't like the accompanying bugs. Move to Seattle or Portland! We have bugs, but they aren't nearly as bad. And, at least in Seattle, we ain't got snakes. And the ants... which we do have... don't really bite/sting. Much.

my biggest problem with winter running is that there is no daylight. You can't fix that one. With the time change I'm getting a few last 6:30 AM runs in before I lose what little daylight there is before work.

What's "daylight", as related to "running"? Oh yeah, I think I see that in June sometimes. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Fiddlesticks to that. Maybe you could handle August in Houston, but I bet you wouldn't like the accompanying bugs.
                      Plus I'd be in the same state as Spareribs Roll eyes
                      Masters 2000 miles

#artbydmcbride

Let's see, here in southern California, winter means wearing shorts down almost to your knees, tech shirts with sleeves, and adding a hat is practically mandatory.

Runners run

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A tip (which I think I may have stolen from Robin Travers, who doesn't post here much anymore, so I can get away with it Wink ) is to give your face a good layer of moisturizer or hand cream before heading out in really cold weather. I usually do it when it's in the 20's and below. it really seems to help keep the face feeling warm. And I have such nice smooth skin afterwards Big grin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's a good idea, Kevin. I never would have thought of it. I know my running partner has dry skin, so I'll tell her about it, too.

Top 'O the World!

If you're really crazy ~ like sub-zero crazy! you use petroleum jelly (vaseline) on your exposed skin (Old Native American Sekrit - only they used bear grease)
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

When it's below 10 degrees F, I usually wear one of those ski mask things, but they do make me awfully warm. So the Vaseline protects you well enough that exposed skin is OK??