Masters Running

Isn't today Monday?... the 6/6 daily (Read 585 times)

Mariposai

Where are you guys? Isn't it 10 back East?

Thank you all for your support and great comments about our race this weekend. You never stop to amaze me!!!! 

I hope the weekend was fun in RAland. I sure had a blast meeting up with some members of my RAfaimily, visiting my mother in-law and running my 18th marathon (I need to go back and count them, I am starting to loose track of the total numbers) in less than ideal conditions. The whole weekend was filled with sweet memories. I will write a RR later this week, but here is the short version:

4:11:25, my second fastest marathon. 7/41 Ag. I was aiming for a BQ (4:00 for my age group), but weather played a small trick on me (I should have paid for a plane ticket for twocat to be at the race, then it would have rained and not be 81f at the finish line Blush).

With Newport I put to rest for ever my dream to run Boston. Why? this was my last chance before the BQ time changes in Sept. If I can't run a sub 4 now, a 3:55 is totally out of my reach.  Also I  looked for other races in the area and the only two around here that will take place before the qualifying time changes conflicts with major family plans and  flying somewhere for a race is totally out of my budget right now. Am I disappointed? Of course I am, big time,Black eye but I must lick my wound and move on. Boston is my Mt. Everest! and I will always drool to summit it!

What next for my wings? rest up, recover and get back on the saddle. My goal is still to run a sub 4 before I retire my wings, but by then it will not be a BQ time for me anymore, but a goal is a goalClown

Race report and pictures to follow (I wanted to write my whining here and not on my RR because the whole weekend was just so much fun and I did not want to tinted with my sour dissolution! 

Holly, phenomenal job on your 50k in 93F weather...wow! how did you do it! A RR to follow, I hope. I think you are plotting a big race with that 11 miler you ran the next day...tell us girl friend, tell us!!!

fatozzig, don't worry if twocat wears a cheer-leading outfit (I think he would look great in a orange tutu) I will personally fly to CT to make sure a picture is taken and posted here.  BTW, congrasts to Mrs. twocat for going ahead with her plan to run her HM at the end of the month..like T.S. Elliot would say...only those who risk will ever find out how far one can go!!! . I love her carefree spirit!!! she  is my hero!!!!...! Go Mrs twocat gooo!!!!

Byll, have fun at the relay!!! You too DG, anyone else is going from here?

Have a marvelous Mondays folks!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

lamerunner

9:55, that is the problemSmile  I am taking my usual Monday rest day with a likely swim at lunch. 8 miles yesterday  plus a couple o fhours of light duty tennis, thanfully on clay courts, much more forgiving.   Got DD through prom. Graduation this coming weekend. Lots of big doings.

I hope the marathon goddesses are recovering well!

My Relay practice weekend is done. My legs definitely know it too!

10.2 miles at MP on Saturday (too fast for a training run)
        4 miles at 8:37 pace Sunday AM (ditto!)
        6 miles at 8:55 pace Sunday PM (84° - how do people regularly run late?)
        6 miles at 9:05 pace Monday AM (Legs tired. HR fine. Mission accomplished!)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

HermosaBoy

I let others start.

4 humid miles with Miss Rosie for me.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

#artbydmcbride

I survived the Camp Pendleton mud run this weekend.    The crazy things runners will think of to put themselves through!  Big grin

Runners run

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh--Mari--I feel bad that you feel like you'll never qualify for Boston.  I didn't realize they were changing their qualifying times.  Keep going for under 4:00 and you might surprise yourself!

When my oldest son graduated in ’98, the two of us flew out to Colorado and did the Pikes Peak Marathon.  He did the ascent on Saturday and I did the marathon on Sunday.  We arrived a few days early and stayed at Barr Camp about half way up the mountain.  We had a fantastic time together and he and I still talk about what a great time we had.

Two years ago, when my #2 Son graduated, the two of us drove to South Dakota for the Swan Lake Marathon.  He did a 5.3 mile race while I did the marathon.  As soon as we were done, we packed up the car and continued west to spend a few days backpacking in the Black Hills.  We had a fantastic time—just one of many enjoyable times with my son.

My youngest son was supposed to graduate this year but, as I have written before, he has at least another year to go.  But, in my never ending attempt to gain some kind of positive relationship with my son, I asked him to come along with me as I travel out to Utah and Idaho this week.  I really expected him to say, “No”, and—I have to be honest—I was kind of hoping that he would.  But he has agreed to come with me and now…I don’t know how I feel.  I have tried so many times to connect with this kid.  But…I guess I just have to keep trying…right?

I’m sure that—one way or another—it will be another marathon trip with one of my sons that I will never forget!

Dave59

All the pr/racing fun is done.  Time to get back to regular life.  5.3 miles late this morning under a bright sunny sky.

Mike - You never know what the trigger will be to help get your son back on track.  This trip may just be it.  Perhaps the fact he's willing to go with you means he's trying to find his way out of his dark hole and could be a blessing in disguise.  You have your faith to help you stay strong.

Posai - Am so looking forward to your race report.

Ilene - My buddy and I have talked about doing a mud run one of these days.  Details!

1.25 hrs of core/strength this a.m.  My arms are pleasantly pooped.  Pool run on the schedule for tonight.

I've been thinking about getting a chin up bar and am leaning toward one that attaches to the ceiling.  Anybody have one of these?  Use one of these in the past?  Have any comments?  I'm looking for something under $100, if possible.  I've been doing a lot of extra transcription work at home and deserve to treat myself.

Speaking of treating myself - Not counting the pool membership I've been coughing  up each month (and it kills me to do it), yesterday I went out and did my first "splurge" on myself since this whole thing with The Hub started.  Bought a few plants for my very bare and depressing-looking flower pots.  Just $20, but my yard is starting to look happy again, which makes me happy.  Smile  Couldn't carry the stuff around very easily, so I did a lot of crawling.  Crawling = Sore Gluteus Maximus! Now if I can just stop Wilson the Wonder Kitty from using the pots as his personal toilet. Roll eyes

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Nancy, thank you for starting the daily. Who would've thought a westie could start a daily that probably primarily is composed of easties?  I'm sorry that you feel you'll never attain your Boston Goal. Sometimes goals are achieved when we least expect them or aren't really even trying. I just can't believe how warm it got out in Newport. That is highly unusual. I remember last year it being around 67 at the finish and I thought that felt warm.  I know my co worker Justin was also going for a BQ as he was only about 90 seconds off at Eugene and the rest of his marathons he has scheduled each month for the rest of the year, are challenging courses. He didn't state on FB that he BQ'd and now he's on vacation to Memphis this week, so I'll have to pull up his time on the results and see how he did. maybe the heat got him also.

MikeE - I hope this trip with your son will open up the door to a better relationship with him.

I had my last long training run yesterday. and my legs were mush as the heat/humidity got to me also. I started too late in the day so didn't finish up until 2 p.m.. T'storms rolled in about 2-3 hrs later, so the humidity was a bit high for us. probably still nothing compared to the humidity the midwest/east coast gets though.

I'm excited that I'll get to meet Mike E in less than two weeks! Smile

Leslie, glad you splurged a little and got some splashes of color for your yard. It's amazing what some pretty flowers in bloom can do for ones outlook.

Tammy

Nancy,

I may be wrong but I just don't see you giving up on your BQ quest.  It's not in your makeup.  Perhaps 3:55 seems lofty but you have made great progress this year and I expect that to continue.  And besides, you can always "Age Up" like many of us have in achieving our BQ's.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

6 miles at 8:55 pace Sunday PM (84° - how do people regularly run late?)

Bill

Not all of us live where it's hot in the afternoon. Cool

Mike, I hope you enjoy your marathon trip with your DS - I'm sure it'll be great.  Are you driving to Idaho/Utah?    Good luck with the back-to-back marathons !    Oh, and congrats on running the Pike's Peak marathon in '98 - that's one I don't want to do, and I live here!  At 14,000 ft even walking is slow, let alone running. I've hiked up a bunch of the 14'ers, including Pikes Peak, and have no real desire to run at that altitude.

Mariposai, I was thinking the same thing as Byll - how soon will you be in a new AG for Boston qualifying?

No run yesterday but DH and I did a long hike with DD out in Leadville CO.  Planning on a RAW today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

question: Grandma's Marathon has a sign up to track a runner and get text messages when they cross certain points. Are those things usually a free service or does the person signing up have a charge for getting the messages? I was going to have my dad sign up for it, but wanted to know how those things usually work first.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Sorry about the misunderstanding re the AG placement. I must have misread nancy's FB post.  But I don't care if she was 2nd or 7th; she's still number one in my book. 

Bill, I don't share her pessimism about the BQ either.  Here is the back story on this.  I was convinced during the week that she was very primed for a fast race and in my mind I thought 3:56 to 3:58 would be reasonable.  At the same time I kept saying to myself, "I just hope it isn't a hot day," because that is the only thing that I thought might interfere.  Of course I didn't say that to her because I didn't want to put a negative thought in her head before the race, or give her anything to fret about.  We all know she ran her heart out.  A very tough day, but she'll bounce back.  Spareribs

Slo

question: Grandma's Marathon has a sign up to track a runner and get text messages when they cross certain points. Are those things usually a free service or does the person signing up have a charge for getting the messages? I was going to have my dad sign up for it, but wanted to know how those things usually work first.

Tammy

I have experience with Green Bay's and Twin Cities. Both were free services.

Tammy, getting a text from a Marathon is just the same as getting a text from another person.  The receiver's data/text plan determines how texts are priced.  If you have an unlimted text plan, no additional charges apply.  If you have a text limit, then charges may apply if you go over the limits.

Bill