Masters Running

Thursday, May 5th runs and stuff (Read 793 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Too many times we do things out of guilt. Stay home and spend the day with your kids.

+1

Having a Jewish Mom, Italian Dad, and Jewish wife and other family members I know about "guilt" trips and its affects! LOL Could it be a Mediterranean thing?

I was stiff, tired and full of crap this morning...had Niacin induced hot flashes and itching last night making it hard to get to sleep. Hate it when it happens before I fall asleep. Did some exploring this morning. Located Lake Pflugerville Trail and ran it for the first time, 3mi crushed gravel around a man made lake. Trees need a lot of growing to generated some shade around it. Everything was tight so I kept it slower than normal and the only thing that loosened at mi 2 was my gut, so I headed home to take care of that! LOL.

On the VA front, good news. I managed to get the lab results from 2008-2010, but they didn't diagnose Left Ventricular Hypertrophy (enlarged heart/increased thickness), although the record does show abnormal left atrium dilation. I also received the 2003 Echo which does contain the LVH diagnosis as well as other abnormalities. Still haven't heard from my Atlanta Dr's to see if they can pull the 1992 Echo which was the LVH initial diagnosis. Might not wait for the 1992 data to complete the claim. Probably not needed but could increase amount of disability because of the duration of impact. Wonder if they'll take my word for it now that I have the other evidence.

Keep on keeping on folks!

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

TammyinGP

That was a great run Perch!! congrats on your milestones.

I love seeing Opie here!

we hit 84 yesterday and it felt even warmer when I was running on the black asphalt bike path. My water, which was mostly ice I started my run, was already luke warm by mile 2.5. I ran by a ball park, so was able to refill it with some colder water, but that didn't last long either.

since I am running 20 this weekend, I ran 10 last night and wanted to insert 6x1/2 mile intervals with 3:00 min recoveries.  Knowing what I've been able to do in the past on intervals, I figured I could do the intervals at about a 7:45 pace. wrong. it was all I could do to hang on to an 8:40 pace. I felt pretty miserable on this run and totally zapped by the end . could not run one more step.

and I was only down .3 lbs from the previous day after all that. that sux.

today is my friday, taking tomorrow off to handle puppy duty while DH gets some stuff done that he's gotten behind on. will try planting some cool weather veggies in the garden also and get in a short run in the morning.

mothers day will be low key. weather says rain and the logistics of everything for our families work better to get together the following Sunday, so we'll have my parents and my MIL over next Sunday for a brunch or lunch and just hang out at home this Sunday. For my mothers day, I plan on running my 20 miles that morning.

Tammy

Top 'O the World!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        Henrun

Let me join the Opie welcoming committee!!!

Did 5 miles this morning-my fastest 5 training run since returning to running from my injury 2 months ago. What seems to be helping is an increased number of rest days and cross training (swam and did yoga yesterday) and limiting myself to no more than 5-6 mile runs. I keep forgetting how old I am!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Knowing what I've been able to do in the past on intervals, I figured I could do the intervals at about a 7:45 pace. wrong. it was all I could do to hang on to an 8:40 pace.

and I was only down .3 lbs from the previous day after all that. that sux.

I know exactly what you mean!  But seriously, the heat does sap your strength and speed, especially at first.  I think your body gets a little panicky and puts the brakes on.  In a month or so you will be much more accustomed to it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

We hit 84 yesterday and it felt even warmer when I was running on the black asphalt bike path.  I ran 10 last night and wanted to insert 6x1/2 mile intervals with 3:00 min recoveries.  Knowing what I've been able to do in the past on intervals, I figured I could do the intervals at about a 7:45 pace. wrong. it was all I could do to hang on to an 8:40 pace. I felt pretty miserable on this run and totally zapped by the end . could not run one more step.

Tammy,

Don't be too hard on yourself (look who's talking).  There are a number of factors here which explain your pace.

1. I figure it takes about 2 weeks of running to acclimate to running in H&H
              2. I tend to think I lose at least 30 to 45 seconds/mile when the H&H rises above about a heat index of 80.  Maybe more.
              3. You ran your intervals inside a 10 mile run.  Unless you did the Intervals near the beginning of your run - after say a 2-mile warm up - you could have been tired just from the mileage.  And if you did run them early on, you no doubt were beat trying to finish off the rest of the 10 mile.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

...hey bobev//..........did they tell you to take the Niacin on a full stomach

and

to take a 325mg PLAIN apsirin 30-min before the Niacin to reduce the Flushing??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

For my mothers day, I plan on running my 20 miles that morning.

That's cool!

Being that it's our first outdoor soccer game, tonight, I decided to sneak home at lunch and get my run done early.  46 degrees--cloudy--and a 10 mph wind made it a perfect day for a run, too.  10.2 miles in 1:08:17.  

Okay--back to work.

lamerunner

Hello. Busy at work here too. Easy but not lively 6.5 this morning, then a 1500 yd swim at lunch. The swim felt good at least.  Legs have been tired mostly; I guess they will come around eventually.

Nice streak Perch! and great that Karin and Holly got a run in together.

Puppies are wonderful! Thanks for the photos.  Which one is for Karin??

happy Cinco de Mayo.

fatozzig, continued {{{}}}.  C-R, my condolences to you and your family.  CNY, nice 5K XC race.  daddyo, congrats to your son, his team, and his school.  Opie, it's great to hear from you.  perch, way to go on your 261 day, 2000 mile, streak.  holly and CNY, I'm jealous of your run together.  holly, I hope you can have a guilt free mother's day with your kids and husband.  bob, good luck with the VA paperwork.

Nice long runs for jtv, Mike, breger (with hill repeats), PBJ, Tammy (with speedwork), and Mike (another one).  Good job on the speedwork for Slo and mari.

This morning, it was about 40° and almost calm.  I got in 8 miles in about 1:23:40 for a 10:27 pace.

Tomorrow we go across the state where I will join with my sisters and brother to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday on Sat. and mother's day on Sun.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

lamerunner

P.S. Is the Green Bay/Cell com race this weekend?  If so, happy tapering to Slo and Timbo

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Puppies are wonderful! Thanks for the photos.  Which one is for Karin??

We don't know yet .... she is getting a boy and it'll be 2 more weeks before the decision is made.   I'm so excited for her though!

Here I thought guilt was a Catholic thing!  Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

P.S. Is the Green Bay/Cell com race this weekend?  If so, happy tapering to Slo and Timbo

Next weekend and thanks for the thought !

Holly - What Jeanne said.  Send your stepmom and birth mom flowers, then enjoy yourself with your own family.  And yes, make them take you out to lunch or dinner!

Perch -

Tammy - Never underestimate the power of H&H.

Puppy pics are the best!

PBJ - I send you an email .

Just some all around great running going on with this gang of Masters.

Beautiful morning for a run.  A slight chill in the air, but warm enough for a short sleeve shirt.  So I donned ye ole running shoes . . . and hit the crutches, the stationary bike (30 min), and the weights (40 min).  You'd think from all the stumping around the extra weight training I've been doing that my arms would be getting more toned.  Yeah, you'd think. Evil

Got to talk to The Hub last night.  He has phone privileges on Wednesdays.  He sounded so - - - relaxed.  It's the best way I can think of to describe it.  It was nice.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Opie, it is so great to see you here. Tell me us how your running is going? When is your next race?

I feel like a rock star!!!

My running has been up and down the last year.  I had a coach who works in a running store here and she took me to those new highs and lows.  I got PF in my right foot, then recovered & hungry for racing, set 3 PR's in January and February.  Then as I've mentioned recently, I had a stress fracture in that same foot so I fired that coach.  I had the honor of getting Paul and a few other runners here on my relay team for our Memorial Marathon last Sunday, which is a tale too long to tell here.  But we won our division with a gun time of 3:35:35 and we had a chip time of 3:33:50!

Today I felt ready for a track workout but scared at the same time.  It went well and was almost IRC but a little warm.  Hey, this is Oklahoma, so I'm not complaining.  You can see all the details in the training log here but the story is that I forgot how many 400's I had planned to do!  On the 3rd one, I thought, maybe it was 4.  Wishful thinking as I figured out later I had planned 6 but let me tell you, 4 was enough!  I'm enjoying a new Garmin 305 I got in a giveaway so I found out my max HR during these intervals is 178.  I think that's where I want it but I appreciate any advice you want to give on HR training.  I enjoy doing the bike ride (see last night's post) during the middle of the week because my HR is a little lower but I'm putting in a good, fairly long effort, like a MLR.

My next race could be as soon as Saturday, a 5k.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me