Masters Running

Monday, 9.8.14 (Read 38 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Wow, so much happened over the weekend here.  Starr and hubby - incredible losses!  And quite the half marathon!

Hope everything is okay with Marj and Henry - that was kind of cryptic.

The VT 50 group sure looks ready.  Maybe you guys can meet my buddy from the gym.  His name is Jim Nelson, and he did the Western States 100 in just under 24 hours.  He'll be wearing the silver belt buckle at the VT 50 (maybe even during the race).  He is an amazing athlete.

So Saturday night, I'm talking to my harley-riding, marathon-running priest, and he asks me what's next.  I told him I was running the Atlantic City marathon, and thinking about running the Hartford marathon the week before as a training run.  He's already signed up for Rochester and Hartford.  Then he says he's always wanted to do back to back marathons - maybe he'll join me in AC.  But then he will have to take Sunday off.  Sunday races don't mesh very well with his profession.

Running on Saturday - planned to do a 20 mile out and back, but stopped at 12.5.  Called Long Suffering, and she picked me up at mile 14.  I asked her if she was mad at me, and she said she was surprised that I had shown such common sense (it was 80+ degrees and quite hoomid).  Of course, I couldn't let her be right, so I ran 21 on Sunday.  I felt like I could have gone even further - 10 degrees cooler and much less hoomid.  Call it limited common sense.

Off to do some fizzy lifting and spinnerooni this evening.  Yes!

''

"don't feed the monkeys."

*snork*  That's sort of what we say about my friend, Karen, first thing in the morning.  Only with her, it's "Don't Feed the Troll."  In other words, do not speak to her until she has spoken.  She must've really hated me all the years we ran together on Saturdays and I made her get up out on the trails by 7:00 a.m.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

So Saturday night, I'm talking to my harley-riding, marathon-running priest . . .  Sunday races don't mesh very well with his profession.

I don't know how to double quote in a post and that's just too good to pass up.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Oh.

I wonder how did monkeys get the same bad rap as trolls?

it's "Don't Feed the Troll."  In other words, do not speak to her until she has spoken.

it's ok if they pick on ME, but just mail tet some yellow shoes.....

Thanks tom/c-r/etc.
          Recalling how, when ski boots turned plastic, I painted my first ones, blue Lowa’s, black,

I’d probably do the same to running shoes, not that I don’t sometimes paint my feet green

(St.Pat’s Dash), red/green (Jingle Bell), orange, etc.

Maybe stumpy wears lowa's in Iowa.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Fair point Holly. I enjoy the cornfield drives too. It's more the running scenery. I guess I need to explore the trails more. Too much concrete.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Jay, I think MrStarr and I would like Kayaks but he doesn't think they look comfortable. I will have to find out what to look for before next summer.

Annabelle and Riley photo is so precious!

Holy, shmoly SloHand, do you know how far 112 miles is? Nice ride.

Thanks for your uplifting post, Amy, how is the weather in FL?

Lame runner, nice to hear from you-- hope your knee holds out for VT. I too like to waterski and my son is pretty fun to watch. It has been 2 years since I skied but the summer isn't over yet.

Posai, I, you sure look like you are having a great time on the East coast!

Thanks for all your kind word about my race (and weight loss), yeah, I think I could have gone faster, but did not want to bonk at the end. I felt good enough for a 5 mile recovery run tonight.  I guess I should taper off for the 10K on Saturday. I really don't want to bonk on Main Street in front of all the locals and my classmates from high school.

The weatherman said the "S" word more than once tonight but I wasn't really listening.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

SteveP

Sweet kayak cross training, Jay.

Annabelle and Riley are too precious, Dave.

Aamos, thanks for the chapstick tip.

(((((lamerunner)))))

That will teach her PBJ.

As soon as the dog got out of the truck, he was acting differently. When we got on the main trail, it was easy to see why. There were an abundance of bear tracks.

seeing tracks like that sure make for a sproinky run.

SteveP