Masters Running

I'll show you mine if you show me yours... (Read 1090 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

...my running course--geeze, what did you think I meant?

So, I was sitting around, yesterday, wasting my day and decided to go for a little bike ride over my 10 mile running course and take pictures at each mile marker.  I thought it might be kind of fun...

This is in front of my house, looking up the road to start...

Mile 1.  The first 3 and the last 3 miles are run along a county road.  In the summer, I take the path--in the winter, though, they don't keep it plowed and then I run on the shoulder...

Mile 2...

This is coming up to Mile 3 where I take a left turn...

And this is Mile 3 after I turn--yeah, there's not much of a shoulder and can be a little tricky in the winter...

Mile 4...

Oh--this is Kelly's Bar that I ran in and grabbed a beer on my run one night--I turn right there...

This is coming up to Mile 5...

And this is when I turn around at Mile 5 to head back...I never have to deal with that traffic light...

Here's the back of Kelly's Bar where I ran back through to finish my beer...

Mile 6...

Oh, this is a just little farm on the side of the road...

This coming up on Mile 7 where I turn right...

This is a bigger farm on that corner...

And this is still Mile 7 after I make the turn...

This is a little utility building that I make my pit-stops at.  If I'm doing a long run on a hot day, I'll stash a cooler back there so that I can grab a drink everytime I go by...

Mile 8...

Mile 9...

This is a part of the path that floods over all the time.  It's about 3" deep and can be annoying at times....

This is looking down my street as I head for home...yeah--we need some road repair--don't get me started...

And this is Mile 10...back at my house--that's my old red truck parked in the driveway...

So--that's my course.  I know it ain't much but I love my 10 mile course.  It's also my 2 mile through 22 mile course.  I just turn at different mile markers and go back and forth to get the distance I want.  I know--sounds boring--but that's just me.

So--if you're ever just sitting around not doing anything--I'd love to see some other's courses.

I was cursing myself yesterday that I didn't have my camera for my 11 miles at Headwaters.  I'll take it next week.  This is gonna be fun!  I hope others post pics.

Hey, Holly - Can we make this a sticky so we don't lose to another page??

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, Mike, it sure is flat where you live!  I'll take some pictures around here, but we left our camera in DD's pack in Ithaca and she needs to mail it back before I can do that. 

Here are some pictures I took last year on the trail I ran on today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Mike, you wienie. What a flat flat flat area you live in.

Here's part of my course.... part of the Equinox course...

And the out-and-back...

here's the top of the chute... 300 ft straight down... hold onto your hats!

Or then there's this... the bike bath a mile from my house. This is up a gradual hill for half a mile, then a steep hill for the rest.

And then there's the whole winter running thing...

coastwalker

I'll have to get out with a camera and a flash, since we've gone back to darkness at 4am. Or maybe I can squeeze in a later workout some day.

Hey Mike - Mile 1 and Mile 2 sure look remarkably alike, don't they?  Wink

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey Mike - Mile 1 and Mile 2 sure look remarkably alike, don't they?  Wink

Yep.  I fixed them--thanks.

And, yes--my course is very flat.  I have a little bit of a rise around the 3 and 8 mile mark.  Nothing like most of you have.

HermosaBoy

Other than my morning runs with Rosie, I have too many different courses I run to include here...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Prince of Fatness

I love to run the canal towpaths along the Lehigh River in eastern PA.  This is me running in the Lehigh Valley Marathon a couple of years ago.  Much of the race is along the towpaths.  It is about a 15 minute drive for me to get there, and I have run many a weekend long run on these paths.

One of my other favorite places is the Merrill Creek Reservoir in NJ.  It is only about a 5 minute drive from home.  There is a mix of trails and fire roads.  Overall it is not too technical but is challenging in spots.  Here are a couple of pictures from there.

I ran at both of these places just this past weekend.

Not at it at all. 

mrrun

we also have multiple courses - but one favorite is the well-known heartbreak hill - basically miles 17 - 23 of the boston marathon - out and back. and the Charles.  We'll update the next time we're running - it's just changed from sun to pouring rain.  

marj

TammyinGP

PHinNJ runs on water? I knew some of you were god-like, but that is just amazing!

Mike - I would have recognized those flat-in-dire-need-of-repair MN streets anywhere!

Nice pictorial of your run. I like it!

Tammy

Prince of Fatness

PHinNJ runs on water? I knew some of you were god-like, but that is just amazing!

Ha!  I wish.

I guess that does look like I am in the water.  That is one of the places that the trail runs right along the water.

Not at it at all. 

Maniac 505

OK,  I'll play.  Just got back from a run.  I took my camera with me so I could post here.

My runs almost always start in the Seattle Art Museum sculpture park

The sculpture park links up with Myrtle Edwards park.  a two mile strip along the waterfront

This is nearing the end of the park,  I will be running under the bridge in the distance on a bike path through an industrial area.  chain link fence on both sides of the bike path for about 1/2 mile

The next two miles are on sidewalks on residential streets

This brings us to mile 5, just entering Discovery park with it's 3 mile dirt loop trail.

This is one of the better views from the park.  Unfortunately it was too hazy today to see Mt Rainer.

Now we are out of the park and on a very narrow dead end street (Perkins lane) there are some very expensive mansions along the lane on the bluffs above Puget Sound.

This isn't a great shot, but as I said the road dead ends.  These are the stairs that take you back to the main road (And I am not going to run the stairs

At the top of the stairs this is the view that awaits you,  again it is too bad we can't see Mt Rainer in the distance

This is the bridge I ran under on the way out,  I am running over it to go home.

Back in Myrtle Edwards park, about a mile from home.

Finally,  12 miles later we are back where we started in Olympic Sculpture Park,  My condo is in the twin towers just to the right of the space needle.  I don't have far to walk to get to the running paths.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thnax dave, that's exactly where I'd run back in those days from a little further away

for my then-annual marathon training run of half the distance of the full mary.

(until I got so slow that not even that helps.)

I loved Discovery Park and seeing Mt. Rainier from Myrtle Edwards Park or,

if not, knowing exactly where it was.  Is the eagle and nest still up there?

The Mt. Rainier view from the sandy part of the trail was "July" on a Runner's

World calendar in1991 or so.  

Myrtle Edwards Park used to host thousands of viewers for the Independence Day Fireworks

and attracts even more now for the Hemp Festival Weekend that's coming up pretty soon.

It's such a narrow strip of park though that access is almost impossible that weekend.

Maybe here's Mt. Rainier in the background over my right shoulder from near the finish of last month's

Fiitness for Vitality 10K about a half mile into the park from the famed father/son statue. 

ps - very photogenic. <<<(thanksenki)>>>>

Maybe we can all wear orange and take OM down there next month.

photo

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Private message to mike (and anyone else who might have been thinking what he wanted us to think from his title)

mike - little kids over in Japan where I’ve been over the years get an early introduction at the public baths and hot springs (onsens).

.srehot denep pah yltnerappah ah sa tsol tegot siht naw ton did eh esuaceb doot syasel tit ruoy tahwod ton dluoweh taht lrig eltti laot gniyasyob elttil afo noot racadah tasaw IenO. 

I’m going back over to Japan later this week for a couple of weeks so will try to sneak a photo of it past the censors for you. You could also check with Tammy.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike, I think I saw some elevation changes around mile 7 of your route, but I'd have to get a ruler out to make sure.

They call Bellevue the "city in a park" or something like that.  Looking out my window, or from other places, alll I can see are trees, but really there are houses upon houses hiding under the tall douglas fir trees.

First picture are the blueberry fields, surrounding a tiny lake, in October, next, same place in the summer.  About 1.5 miles from where I park my car.  Route goes through a little cedar grove first, that is quite shady and cool.  You can see the ubiquitous morning fog that we get for most of the year in the cooler months.

Blueberry Fields, surrounding a tiny lake, about 1.5 miles from the beginning

Third picture is along a steep park, with a cool stream that I somtimes cool my hands and face off with.

Fourth picture is my "tunnel of love" - just love running through this.

When I am feeling ambitious I go up to Cougar mountain and run there.  Lots of elevations.  Many foot crossing of creeks like this one.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."