Masters Running

Tues 9/16 runs and Cooler weather...we hope (Read 520 times)

Just caught up on yesterday's thread. Anyone notice how often evanflein gets in the last word? wildchild, any mountain with a name like Mt. Carbon does not conjure up a scenic picture in my mind. More like a huge mound of coal that they plan on removing someday. Good luck running up and over it! Dave59, how long have you been a programmer? Your experience was the story of my career at times. You do your best with vague specifications and are supposed to guess what they "really want", but they can't tell you until you have something to show them, and then it's never right. Angry Holly, your power outage is why we've been considering a natural-gas backup generator. And we would have said more than "drat" with a freezer full of steaks. You're about 4 hours south of me -- what time is the barbeque going to be fired up? Gordon, you just keep quietly churning out the miles. The cool mornings are the norm here too at last, and it is nice, isn't it? Time to switch my running wardrobe around, if not my regular clothes. Mary, I'd comment on your run today, but after that ageism crack in my RR yesterday you're on my list for a while... Wink No running today as I am still trying to not ramp up too quickly after yesterday's 8-miler. Maybe an outing on the bike this afternoon, though. Good running, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

cool this am, nice day for a bike ride...so I did ~13 miles to work...more later... Have a good day everyone! (go RED SOX!)
        Thanks Doug...No miles today though...felt like I was dragging my right leg,so I stopped and walked home...guess the marathon beat me up more than I thought...
        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        DickyG

As Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, and some of our long-standing financial institutions go right down the tubes, the FDA has announced that they are hiring 1300 new people. Soooo....forget about breaking your back for 4 years to get your undergrad degree and another 2 to get your hard-earned MBA. Spend 3 weeks flipping burgers at Wendy's, then get a job at the FDA. Roch: Congrats on your 8-miler yesterday...you're way ahead of me. Carolyn: House pix are just stunning! Dave59:
          That's what happens when a large corporation buys your employer and instead of meeting with customers, I now meet with people, who meet with people, who meet with the customer.
          Welcome to Corporate America...just be happy you're not on Wall Street. Holly: Don't worry about the steaks...we're all coming over for a BBQ....your treat. Sarge:
          Dicky I'm thinking of claiming her as a pro on my taxes so I can deduct the cost of the clubs.
          Hey, that was quick thinking...you should be working for Lehman Brothers...wait a minute... Tim: Nice 12-miler this morning...you'll definately be ready. Didn't you just get some new shoes 3-4 weeks ago? Bill & Peter: Nice going. It's pouring here & I got too much work to do...I'll sneak out later for about 4 miles..unlike many of you, I don't do rain...my hair frizzes. DickyG
          Dave59

Dave59, how long have you been a programmer? Your experience was the story of my career at times. You do your best with vague specifications and are supposed to guess what they "really want", but they can't tell you until you have something to show them, and then it's never right. Angry
            Programming since the summer of 1981. I like math and dabbled with the idea of becoming an actuary and was actually starting to prepare for the first exams. Then I dabbled in business and went the full route of getting an MBA (in night school while I was already doing programming). But then settled totally on programming where I could use both. Normally I enjoy it very much. The early days when small and medium sized business were getting their first computer was the most fun. Laborious manual tasks were moved to the computer to their great amazement and joy. Rest day for me today, but I got a new headlamp yesterday that I am anxious to try out some morning. It weighs less than an ounce. http://www.rei.com/product/749039

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim’s post reminds me of something I’ve been meaning to mention. Our local running store got rid of its treadmill and video years ago. They argue that your gait is different on a treadmill than it is on the roads and so treadmill video is misleading, resulting in inappropriate recommendations. They make you run out in the parking lot and go out with you to watch. I don’t know enough about this stuff to have an opinion one way or another. Any thoughts?
              Good point. I should have said also that most of my analysis was spent running on a side walk with my running tech watching my gait...I was there for 3 hours altogether. You can only see so much with the naked eye, so that's where the video came in nice too. But the first part was running on the side walk - middle on the treadmill with photos - last part back on the sidewalk to make a final determination if the shoes were right. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mariposai

Thanks Doug...No miles today though...felt like I was dragging my right leg,so I stopped and walked home...guess the marathon beat me up more than I thought...
                I think we often under estimate the lingering effect the marathon leaves in our bodies. Hang in there my friend. Listen to your body and take your time to recuperate. Are you still planning to run Bellingham? if not...I am still looking for volunteers to help out with the Autumn Leaf Run I RD Tongue WRFB, isn't climbing so much fun? My hands, arms and legs were stiff for over two weeks after the climbing I did this summer and that was not even a technical climb. Have fun with your house guest. Patience for Holly and all those who has to do without electricity. 6 miles with some tempo play after the first mile. 47 degrees this morning. I am being stubborn and refusing to wear long pants Cool even when my legs were pretty cold for the first couple of miles. Going to work a bit later today since I have a training to do tonight. I was given two boxes of peaches yesterday so I will be canning them this morning.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai-I'm probably not going to run Bellingham-but Taper Boy and Jura are,so I'm going to have dinner with them both the night before... Bellingham however is on September 28th...let's see how I feel in the first part of October
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #3309

DickyG, I did get a new and different pair of shoes not to long ago, but they - well, ummm sucked. I'm spending my life savings on shoes right now it seems Roll eyes And will need one more new pair before my Nov 1st Marathon, I think....but it's worth it if I get my problems corrected. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tramps

Good point. I should have said also that most of my analysis was spent running on a side walk with my running tech watching my gait...I was there for 3 hours altogether. Tim
                      Wow! 3 hours; that's customer service!

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai DarkHorse just hopes you are running in the cheerleader outfit.
                          Congrats henrun and marj on your races, especially marj with AG win and new shoes. dive, that was neat meeting tet and posting the pictures. mirko, nice race. busi, good job on your race (and able to do a long run afterwards), deez, neat run with your son. roch, congratulations on your longest run of the year. Holly, power outages are not fun when they last more than a few hours and the freezer situation is a real bummer. Nice long runs for Evan, busi, Peter, bike, and tramps. Good job on the speedwork for Dave and breger. This morning, it was about 50 and almost calm. I got in 8 miles, including a trip over the "big hill". It took a little over 1:18 for a 9:48 pace. I don't think I 've mentioned it, but our son is getting married a week from this Saturday. This has been in the works for quite awhile and we are happy and excited. Plans seem to be coming together quite well. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                          Mariposai

Mariposai DarkHorse just hopes you are running in the cheerleader outfit.
                            that outfit is my fave for running. Gordon, Lucky you. I also want to dine with Jura and the taper boy. Hey, which mari is on septbember 28th? Got my first 100 registration for the autumn leaf fun run!!! where is the dancing banana when you need it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Went to the park with the Saint today, who agreed to do the same workout I have been doing, a walk followed by 4 quarters jogging, with a quarter mile walk break after each. Strange when you run with someone you normally don't run with. She thought my 9:17 mile yesterday was so much faster than she runs, so with each quarter she did she took off like a rocket. We come to the first mile marker and she says, "how fast was that?" I said 1:58, and she says, "That's way too fast." I said I knew it was and the next one she can take the lead and I will just follow. We don't need to go this fast. So we come to the next quarter mile mark and I yell go and off she goes again. In 20 paces I am thinking this is the same pace we did last time, but I follow along and don't comment. We get to the marker and I tell her we did it in 1:59. Okay, she says, this one I am going to take it easy because this is way too fast for me. Another 1:58. Good thing she really slowed down for the fourth one, as I clocked the entire mile in 7:54. I think she really does want me out of the picture! Still, this is good experience for her. She now sees she can and probably should do a little workout like this once a week, 4 x 400 at around 2 minutes, surrounded by a couple of minutes walking. I ran behind her the whole way and her stride looked very comfortable and efficient. I am most interested in Dark Horse, Tramps and Tim's comments on shoes and gait analysis. Let me add my 2 cents. It's well known that many runners have different sized feet and would best be fitted by a size 10 on one foot and a 9 on the other for example. I think there is even some store that will sell them to you like that. But I am equally certain that there are many more runners whose gait is such that they could use different stabilities or cushioning for each foot and it's too bad they can't buy the Stabil for the left foot and the Pegasus for the right. Now that would be a hell of a marketing niche. My PT watched me run last year on the TM and never commented on my gait, but a friend who is a PT who runs with me at the lake had very decided opinions. It was she who got me to move to more of a midfoot strike from my old heel to toe and this change immediately eliminated all my (making a list here) piriformis, sciatica, hamstring, glute and other related injuries. I often put my car keys on the ground just inside my tire and one day I noticed I could squat down after a run and pick up the keys with no pain! This is an important area where the barefoot runners have it right. Just get Tet going on this subject. So if anyone is good enough to look at your gait, they ought to do so when you are really running, and a camera that gives you slo-mo is even better. Great posts by you three on this important topic. Spareribs
                                I'm thinking my left leg doesn't need the Stabil's support, but the right leg just might. When I run, the left leg usually plants solidly while the right leg wobbles a bit. So there may be no pair of shoes that will give both legs what they need. I bet this is true for many other people, too.
                                You just described my situation, except it is my left leg that wobbles. I can run on the TM in front of a mirror and see this as plain as day. Left foot pronates, right does not. Holly, your power outage reminds me of the wind storm we had here a few winters ago. Some people were without power for 7 days. It was colder and everyone was using their fireplaces to burn wood and the skies became very smoky and polluted after a few days. We were incredibily lucky, in that our power lines are one of the first off the main trunk, so we only lost power for a few hours whereas two streets over those houses were without power for 5 days. Foot is getting better, I could potentially go for a run today but I'm going to be smart and give it one more day of rest. It is actually more bothersome walking than running. Go figure.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."