Masters Running

Monday 12/4 (Read 38 times)

bioguy

Good morning Masters.

I always remember 12/4 as it is my youngest child Sarah's birthday. How she got to be 32 years old escapes me.

Months ago i signed up for a goal race, the Rehobeth Beach, Delaware half marathon. As you know i have run very little this fall, but a group of my friends were headed there plus my oldest daughter was going with some of her running friends, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Mrs Bio and I had a great dinner with my local running friends Friday night. We stayed in a condo that was walkable to the start line, so we headed down for the 7am start Saturday. Found my daughter in the throngs and got a photo.

I ran without a watch or any expectations. Nice course and an eerie 55 degrees.

A plus is that there are sections where the leaders double back, so I got to see the men's marathon winner zip by me (he finished in 2:20 something and a guy running barefoot finished in the top 5. Me- 2:33:25. A little sore today, but not too bad for basically zero training.

Have a great Monday.

Dave59

Thanks for the start Bioguy. Sounds like you had a nice time yesterday.

Speaking of birthdays, today is my older daughter's birthday. She is 37 and lives in Navarre Beach Florida.. She is planning on coming up for Christmas with our 2 granddaughters.

I'm heading down to the basement for a kettlebell workout.

Jlynne

Good morning guys, and thanks for the start bioguy. Happy birthday to all the RA children celebrating birthdays lately! And great half bioguy. Always nice to run with your kids, right?

Dave - do you have a specific Kettle Bell workout on your phone, or did you just come up with your own program? I just bought a couple of 15 pounders and I'm looking for new things to do with them.

It was relatively mild here this morning but now that I'm older than dirt, I always worry about running in the dark when it's icy. We got several inches of snow yesterday, so instead of risking a fall I went to the Y. An hour on the treadmill and 20 minutes of upper body weights and some core stuff. The place (which is normally packed early in the morning) was pretty empty. Everyone must have stayed up late watching the Packer/Kansas City game.  No comments on the "no call" penalty at the end of the game. I just feel really good for Jordan Love.

Have a great Monday everyone.

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, bioguy. Nice job of racing-without-training at Rehobeth Beach yesterday, and having the bonus of sharing the course with your DD and some running friends. Happy birthday to Sarah.

Happy birthday to your oldest DD too, Dave. I hope you have/had a good basement kettlebell workout.

Nice work at the Y, Jlynne. Running on ice is something to be a bit wary of regardless of age, although I agree that falls when we are older than dirt are a bit more risky than when we were younger than dirt.

How nice to read posts from Mariposai and Stumpy yesterday, and to read that both are doing well. And, as always, I looked forward to the posts from the rest of you as well, and enjoyed your perspectives on workouts, checking Christmas tree lights, helping out at a breakfast with Santa, and other random activities and observations.

Tet, the cushion/pads I got for the tops of my crutches have made a HUGE difference in my ability to use the crutches comfortably. Get 'em. Regarding Steve's thought - I have YakTraks for my feet, but not for the crutches. Maybe I can jut put a couple of screws through the rubber pads if it comes to that. Fortunately, there is no snow in the forecast for at least the next 7-10 days, so I may be OK.

Late yesterday, I so wanted to just get out of this dang leg brace for a change. But I think the real issue was that I had the straps too tight (they need to be tight enough so it doesn't slide down the leg, but not so tight that they cut circulation), so I just loosened the straps while I sat and read, and that was at least marginally satisfactory. I'm also looking forward to sleeping without the brace on - that'll be a treat.

I read an article yesterday about the importance, especially as we age, of eating enough protein and doing enough exercising to help maintain/strengthen enough muscle mass that, in turn, can help prevent bone and other issues. I sent the article to a friend in his 80s who definitely does not eat nearly well enough to help maintain good health. It's good to get those reminders every once in a while, and we can choose to be attentive to them, or not.

This morning I did another 55 minutes of stretching, knee exercises, and core work. My left arm was a little achy, so I stayed off the weights for today. If the roads dry off after yesterday's and last night's rain, I'll see if I can get out for another circuit or two of the driveway. This evening, we're going with neighbors to see a gingerbread competition (in which one neighbor has an entry), and then out to dinner. Should be fun.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Dave - do you have a specific Kettle Bell workout on your phone, or did you just come up with your own program? I just bought a couple of 15 pounders and I'm looking for new things to do with them.

I use beginner videos from this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@lebestark-official

Mainly this one right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIvD2kwodj0&list=LL&index=18

Officials have been bad this year. The Bills-Eagles game was terrible and probably cost the Bills the game.

But the worst thing in sports is leaving Florida State out of the BCS Playoffs. A group of selection people ignored the record and decided who they thought would be better. The selection shouldn't be open to such a subjective set feelings. Undefeated in a major conference should be automatic entry to the playoffs.

Jlynne

But the worst thing in sports is leaving Florida State out of the BCS Playoffs. A group of selection people ignored the record and decided who they thought would be better. The selection shouldn't be open to such a subjective set feelings. Undefeated in a major conference should be automatic entry to the playoffs.

+1 Totally agree Dave. And thanks for the info on your Kettlebell workouts.

I guess the issue is that FSU is not the same team they were when amassing most of that record before losing their star quarterback. They also had a much weaker season schedule than Alabama. That said, I'd much rather have seen Michigan play FSU in the first round than Saban-led Alabama! And the Rose Bowl is traditionally the venue where Michigan's dreams go to die...

Bio, I saw your HM on Strava of course and wondered why it hadn't been previously mentioned here. Nice job with so little prep. A reminder of how you can do OK in an HM undertrained at the cost of a bit of extra soreness the next day as opposed to trying to do a full marathon that way. DAMHIK.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Bio - nice HM!

It was still dark when I got there and the lights were all on so I had an interesting first mile or so until the sun came up. I got to run through tunnels of lights.

Did you pay your entrance fee?  

MIL did not have some of her personal/intimate items sufficiently tucked away and her daughters are traumatized.

Snork!

40 minutes or so of weights and core for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bioguy

Bio, I saw your HM on Strava of course and wondered why it hadn't been previously mentioned here. Nice job with so little prep. A reminder of how you can do OK in an HM undertrained at the cost of a bit of extra soreness the next day as opposed to trying to do a full marathon that way. DAMHIK.

I had to Google DAMHIK

Now I know

Thanks, bio.  Great job on the half marathon!    Steve- the Fleet Feets are locally owned and run.  Some are better than others and, of course, some sales staff are better than others!

I'm really conflicted about the football playoffs.  I think FSU got screwed, but I also think that Georgia is the best team despite their losses.  So I don't think we have the best 4.  I think Saban did probably his best coaching job of his career this year, despite how tired we all might be of the Alabama dynasty.  I think Alabama will beat Michigan.

4.3 miles- 47 and sunny with some wind.  I had a long day on my feet at our charitable gifts fair yesterday and I'm tired.  Got it done and hit my goal of 2023 miles for 2023, so there's that.

Rolled Ken out to the gifts fair and our Lessons and Carols service yesterday afternoon/evening.  He got rolling a little too fast on the ramp coming out of church, but he didn't crash.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Bio, nice job on the half, with your daughter and friends!  And happy birthday to your youngest, and to Dave's oldest!

Doug, good luck with your prostate procedure today.  Hope it goes smoothly!  My DH, Ben, wishes you all the best.  He was happy to provide his perspective on recovery.

I wimped out on a run yesterday because it was snowing sideways and very cold.  Today it's still windy, but not as cold and not snowing, so I'll get out there in a while.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

BTY

Good Monday morning, all!   With an emphasis on the Monday part.  I had heck of a time getting out of the house for my morning swim, and once out, found I had locked part of my belt under the door (it was hanging from a hanger with the rest of my clothing, if you wondered how that would be possible), then wrapped part of my gym bag around the handle of the storm door after I got my belt free.   Then on the way to the Y I got stuck waiting for a very slooooow moving train, and got into the pool at 6:45, noticeably one hour later than the 5:45 I had entered in my workout log when I created the swim workout.   I had made back-to-back oil and filter changes for my car and my wife's car, starting at 8:00, so I had to cut a significant amount of swimming out of my workout.   I wound up with just under a mile instead of 1.5 miles or so.   It was a scheduled "Easy" workout, and included 2 x 500 freestyle as a main set, but with so little time I only did one 500.  I'd set a goal time of 7:55 and finished it ion 7:54, basically staying with a 1:35 / 100 pace.  I couldn't tell you when the last time was that I did a 500, but I think I used to do them around 8:30 if I was going for a time.   A good goal time, if I stick with this distance as part of my workout occasionally, instead of rarely, is probably 1:30 / 100 or 7:30.   Or maybe I'm fooling myself and should stick with a wide range, from 7:45 to 8:15 or so.

Have a greta Monday everyone!

Nice to see Stumpy and Mariposai dropping in yesterday.

Nice that you could run a HM Bio on little training.

I spent most of yesterday watching football, asking MBE to explain weird rules.

1.5 inches of rain predicted today and another inch tomorrow... I do have a treadmill, but perhaps I'll go out for 3 miles and hope the shoes don't get too get squishy. 52 F by noon. High of 57 during the night tonight (weird right?).  It's so dark here...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Happy Birthday to the RA kids - who aren't kids anymore really. 
                              DS's 24th bday is next Monday and since he lives 4 hrs from us, and is working that day, and doesn't really want anyone to know it's his bday, I'm sort of at a loss of what to do to kinda sorta make the day special. I'm thinking of having a large taco platter delivered from a place close to his office. Enough food for his whole office, which is only 6 people, and then leave it to him if he wants to share why his parents sent over lunch to the office. 

Had a busy weekend. Spent Saturday getting the house cleaned and decorated. It all looks so festivus now.  And then Sunday, I was able to get out for a short run (5 miles) and then went to an afternoon Christmas Tea Party at a good friends' home. She had about 14 ladies over for tea, and the typical finger sandwiches that are served at high tea, a few games, gift exchange game, etc.  It was a nice afternoon, although it was taking place the same time as the Niner/Philly game. I checked my phone periodically to see the score. My friend who was hosting the party  - - her husband is a huge Niner fan like my husband is, so he came over to our house to watch the game with my husband.

Busy week with our company Christmas party this Friday, so not really a work day - just a few hrs in the morning before being limo'd to the party venue. And then next week I'm on jury duty all week so need to work ahead on my work deadlines this week in the event I'm actually out of the office serving on a jury next week.

Tammy

You actually got on a jury, Tammy?  Have fun!  The 2 I've been on, I found it interesting.

Happy bday to the RA peeps kids.  And I can't believe David is going to be 24.

Nice HM, Bio!  And fun that you got to run it with your daughter.

We ended up having a fun time with our company.  Good people.  Unfortunately, they had to leave Sunday instead of today, so only spent one day with them.  But it was for a good reason - he has a job interview at 9:00 this morning.  And unfortunately for them, they got just south of Crescent City and found out 101 was closed due to a rock slide, so they had to backtrack all the way to Arcata and go across 299 to hit 1-5 north.  So instead of getting home around 5:00 p.m., they got home at 10:00 p.m.

Nothing for me on Saturday as it was hang with the guests day, but after they left yesterday, I got in 5 miles at Headwaters.  My first trail run since my DNF at the October race.  Oofdah!  Yep, there was walking involved.  But it felt good, my hamstrings didn't hurt during the ran, and although they were a bit cranky later in the day, it was manageable.  Things are looking up.

So I might be pacing my buddy for a portion of Western States in June.  How far is yet to be determine.  The thought makes me sweat a bit . . .

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance