Masters Running

Monday August 15 Runs and Maybe Not (Read 659 times)

4 miles on the treadmill.  I've been running outside a lot lately and just didn't feel like dealing with the conditions today.

Enke, I found your recent comment about your DH the former handyman quite interesting.  I'm no handyman but DW bought a log-cabin-type doghouse for Maddy this weekend.  I said I would put it together, so she was shocked when I actually did it yesterday.  She happened to be gone at the time and got home just after I finished it, so the timing was perfect!  She figured I would put it off for quite a while.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Tim - Most ultra runners incorporate a run/walk ration, i.e. 20 min running, 5 min walking.  Of course, terrain also dictates - if your going up a hill, you'll expend less energy and get up a lot faster by power walking.  And when you do power walk up a hill, be sure to use small, baby steps and push off with your forefoot, not from your heel.  Lean slightly forward and engage your butt muscles.  When you are power walking the flats, be sure to engage the arms.  A good, strong, steady arm swing will go a long way to propelling your legs forward.

With regard to the run/walk, it gives your body the rest it will need over that distance, as well as gives you a chance to eat/drink on a regular basis.  And practice with different foods, gels, hydration methods during your long runs.  You may find you can tolerate fig bars for the first 2 hours of a LR, but after that, they backfire on you.

Dove and Franc can give you a lot more info re that distance, but that's my 2 cents worth.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim - Most ultra runners incorporate a run/walk ration, i.e. 20 min running, 5 min walking.  Of course, terrain also dictates - if your going up a hill, you'll expend less energy and get up a lot faster by power walking.  And when you do power walk up a hill, be sure to use small, baby steps and push off with your forefoot, not from your heel.  Lean slightly forward and engage your butt muscles.  When you are power walking the flats, be sure to engage the arms.  A good, strong, steady arm swing will go a long way to propelling your legs forward.

With regard to the run/walk, it gives your body the rest it will need over that distance, as well as gives you a chance to eat/drink on a regular basis.  And practice with different foods, gels, hydration methods during your long runs.  You may find you can tolerate fig bars for the first 2 hours of a LR, but after that, they backfire on you.

Dove and Franc can give you a lot more info re that distance, but that's my 2 cents worth.

Yeah Leslie...I realize I can't run for 62 miles, so I am incorporating walking with my running. There is a walking marathon here the last of September, and I think that will be a great training tool for a super long Ultra. Still seems like a daunting distance, that's why I am starting now...plus, it will help with my other marathons and ultras too Smile

I'll have to work on the swinging the arms thing....that seems kinda girlish to me - LOL. I will say, my butt is pretty sore today from the walk climbing I did do yesterday

Thanks 

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim - sorry about the event.  What a stupid tragedy that seems somehow like it could have been avoided.

Mike E - I just grab a beer and look at cabins/cottages on the internet, none of which we can really afford!

My legs are sore, so resting today.

I spent 45 minutes waiting for the doctor, for a simple prescription renewal.  I was later told Mondays are the worst day to book an appointment.  But she did exclaim, "your pulse is 52, is that normal for you?".  I was going to smuggly tell her I was a runner, but I just said "well not usually when I am in a doctor's office, but yeah, at home it is normal."

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...I'm running a 100K trail race in January, so I'm trying to learn how to run and walk together on challenging terrain......

For those curious about what Tim has planned, look here:  http://www.tejastrails.com/docs/Bandera__Sto.html

"challenging terrain" is a bit of an understatement.  Watch out for the sotol Timbo!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mike.. really great gr kids pics! Are they having fun or what?

Mary..nice beore/after.. looks great. The Kobi will be happy!

Wow Tim!  that's a tough course... glad you didn't get squished at the concert.. horrifying to see

I remember Skip on his Umstead 100 miler pointing out it's best to walk up the hills and run down them.. makes sense to me.  I also remember those big bags of M&M's and gummy Bears some guys were carrying.. and the pizza, brownies, cookies at that aid stations! What a food fest those ultras are!

4.3 recovery miles today. Special week.. more later.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mike E

MM #5615

Yep--I remember when I did Pikes Peak, I was huffing and puffing trying to run up the first section of hill when I was passed by a woman who was walking.  I walked half way up that mountain after that.

Well--I don't know what is going on with me--and I'm wondering if I should even say anything because I don't want to jinx myself, but my heels felt pretty dang good, today, on my run.  I could feel them--but that stabbing pain in my left heel that I've been feeling for almost two months, now, was gone.  I was actually able to run with my normal stride--which is short and choppy--but it had been a whole lot shorter and choppier.  I really enjoyed my run today.  I don't know what did it, but my physical therapist always told me that my glutes weren't engaging...and...well...I had my physical, today...and, I tell 'ya--nothing gets your glutes engaged quicker than a prostrate examination from Dr, Humongous-Hands.

Okay--that's it from me--if anybody needs me, I'll be back on page 2 enjoying Mary's backyard with an ice cold Miller.

Oh--my run--6.2 miles in 43:43. 

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey Mary--would you mind taking some pictures of the pond while sitting in each of the chairs--including the metal one--I like to move around a little while I'm enjoying our new patio.  By the way--I have to admit--when I first saw the multi-colored chairs I wasn't so sure I liked them.  But they really help to bring out the different colors in the patio, don't they?  Yeah--I like them--lets keep them.

So...while I was sitting back there, I was thinking about my run...and how good my heels felt...and the "event" that I am giving credit to them feeling so good.  I'm wondering if...maybe...a self-examination would work as well.  I think I might try it on Wednesday before my run and, if it seems to work, I'll add it to my warm-up routine.  I wonder what my new Ragnar teammates are going to think...

Speaking of walking uphill on tough courses...Paul & I went to an interesting talk at the runner's club by one of the members who did Comrades in South Africa.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Whoa there Mike,

We were looking for 2 plastic adirondack chairs to replace some old black and green (mold and algae ridden) ones, PNW weather does this to everything after ten years.  So my DH went to 3 different stores looking for "beige" chairs with no luck.  Everything was bright colours which he refused to buy until my DD got involved.  Before we were married I used to call him "beige boy brown" because all his clothes and furniture were......beige or brown.

Still looking at my cottages....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Leslie, I am here! I was gone this weekend on a two days "anniversary part 1" celebration". We hiked one day to a glacier lake, which was on my "to see" list for over 10 years and we finally were able to make it, funny the lake is in the Passayten Wilderness in the Methow Valley, so near us, but we were just never in fitness condition to tackle itShy. Second day we hiked to a Mt. Pass and then climbed (not technical, but just going up from boulder to boulder to a Mt. top). It was a fun weekend, hard work yes, but a lot of fun nonetheless. The wild flowers were the best we have ever seeing. Pictures will be posted when able.

So today was pulling my sore body out of bed just  on time to go to work day. I did RAW this afternoon for 4 easy miles.

Timbo, what a nightmare! 

Enkie, don't look at cottages, just have to come to visit my little cottage, which we call home around here. BTW,When are you coming my way...I have a perfect "girls" get-away planned for us!

Erika, have fun at your marathon this weekend! I think Aamos ran it a while back. Any work about Aamos, anyone?

DG, DG...can you come out and play with us??? I miss ya missy!

Much to read around here, but off to put away trekking gear and clothing!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, you drink Miller?   What's wrong with you?  I was just starting to think you fit in here, too...

I walk lots of the steep uphill parts of trails around here.  I'm working on running the more gentle uphills. I imagine in an ultra, lots of folks walk the uphills - makes sense to me!  Tim, that ultra in Texas looks tough. I'm not quite sure I see the appeal, though.  It doesn't look like a particularly scenic or pretty place to run - is it just a hard course for the sake of a hard course?

Erika, hard to believe that your overall pace for a tough and steep trail run is 9:00!   That's like my average pace on the downhill parts of my tough and steep trail runs.  I'm gonna have a tough time keeping up with you when you're in Colorado next week, but looking forward to seeing you!

4.4 trail miles after work. Not super tough or steep, and avg pace 11:something.  (I forgot to turn my Garmin back on after a bathroom break in the woods...)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

No run today, lifted this PM 135 narrow grip bench press personel record, at least the best I 've done in awhile.  Working lots of OT this week, after a 80 hour week last week a 76 hour this week.  Makes it hard to get my miles in.  Worked on refinishing hardwoods on DS1 entry way, will give second coat Tuesday PM, andstain some trim before work,  Hopefully I can get 5 or so miles in Tuesday AM.

Marathon Maniac #957

Ummm Holly, don't take this the wrong way, but DH's early start time doesn't necessarily have to be yours.

It does when the bathroom door is 3 feet from your side of the bed.....besides, we normally get up at 5am anyway, so it wouldn't be much use lying in bed after the alarm trying to sleep through DH's shower for only a half-hour.  It's only for a few weeks, until it's too dark in the morning for the contractors on his project to start at 6:30am.

Mike - adorable family!  You are a very blessed man....I'm with you on the coffee, though.  Last time I had to do fasting bloodwork, I went to the local hospital to have the blood drawn, because their lab opens at 6am. Alas, our insurance change no longer makes that economical.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike, you drink Miller?   What's wrong with you?  I was just starting to think you fit in here, too...

I always figured I'd eventually say something that would unintentionally offend or would, in some way, cross the line of what is acceptable on this forum.  But I never thought that my choice of beer would be my ultimate downfall.  I'm sorry.  For the record--I do maintain a supply of assorted Lienies and Sam Adams products in my beer frig at all times, as well.  It's just that...last night...I grabbed a Miller High Life...it is the "Champagne of Beer", after all, and I "grew up" with Miller.  (Along with Pabst, and Grain Belt, and Pfeiffers)  it brings back many fond memories for me and, when I went to spend some time in Mary's backyard last night...it just seemed like the right beer to grab.  Oh, I may never find a place where I fit in...