Masters Running

Friday, June 3 Last Day of School Runs (Read 458 times)

Slo

So I am going to run it hard, drink beer, and then get back to better eating and training on Sunday/Monday.

Run it hard...Check

Drink Beer...Check

Get back to better eating...LOL...probably not a good idea for me. Maybe start eating better.

Good Luck with the new PR Dave. I reset all my PR's when I turned 40 and Did it again when I turned 45. The cool thing is my 45 AG pr's are better than my 40 AG pr's. Restarting later in life has it's rewards. I just wonder how long I can keep it up.

An easy 7.75 miles this morning.

Morning, Gang -  It's FRIIIIIIday!!

TomW - That post deserves a Big grin Big grin

Byll - Tough decision for your son, and I'm sure it's hard to sit back and let him and his girlfriend work it out.

Good Luck to All Our Racers this Weekend!!!

Mary - Glad to see I wasn't the only one supporting National Donut Day (old fashioned).  Tell Jelly Belly thanks.

Holly - I'm hoping The Hub and I can get back to golfing again once he's ready to start life anew.  He commented golfing was an activity during which he drank a lot.  My remark, "Well, maybe you'll end up being a better golfer."  Him: "You mean if I'm not lubricating my swing so much?"   Gotta keep a sense of humor in all this. Smile

An abbreviated ST/core workout this a.m.  I'll make up for it during my pool run tonight.  Unfortunately, between the free-weight lifting, the push ups I'm attempting on the BOSU, and my crutch work, my hands are taking a beating.  They were really irritated this a.m.  Ibu is becoming one of my better friends.

Tomorrow I am meeting with the mom and stepdad of a good friend of ours.  We've known her, Karen (a different Karen) for over 20 years.  She and her husband have 20+ years of sobriety under their belts, so we're going to talk sobriety, some of the issues Shorty is facing once he's out of his protective bubble at rehab, etc.  Educate, educate, educate.  I'll never understand what he's going through - what he'll be going through for the rest of his life, but I can do my best to educate myself so I can better support him.

Have a good one, friends ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

I think Shorty is a pretty lucky guy!

TammyinGP

aww, cute jelly belly!  I didn't know it was National Doughnut Day, but of course, that makes me think of LabDuck who always gets a couple doughnuts on Fridays. Hope he's having a good day. I miss him.

That was quite the run you had yesterday Carolyn!

good luck to all the racers this weekend. I think that Covered Bridges one sounds like a great one too, Mike!

I know the Newporters will have a great time. I know I did last summer. I even brought along my Newport Marathon shirt to wear while I go on my lunchtime run today.

With a 5th grader, our biggest decision right now is what he'll wear for his "moving on" ceremony next tuesday. Your son has a big decision to make, Bill, but like I said earlier, he'll make the right decision for him. It's one of those times when it's tough to sit back and not say what you think he should do, but let him come to his own realization. although I think we all know what his decision will be.

tomorrow we'll be busy most of the day with football playoffs and hopefully a championship game, so it'll be the puppies first outing, as I don't want to leave them crated all afternoon. I have a feeling I'll get lots of help with the puppies as a group of little girls gather around to play with them.

Tammy

enke, congrats on your first run in 29 days.  derrick, good job on the weight loss.  CNY, I glad the tornados missed you and your family.  pfriese, bummer about the thumb.  wild, that was some serious elevation change on your mountain trail run.  enke, it's great to hear your daughter had a good school year.  holly, congrats to your daughter on her award for all As for the school year.  Also, the couples golf league should be fun.  Many years ago, we were in a couples league that was very friendly and not competetive beyond the friendly stage.  We really enjoyed it and met some great people.  breger, I agree that your son  and his girlfriend are the ones who need to make the decision.  When my own adult kids are faced with a decision, I may try to point out pros and cons but try to avoid pushing them one direction or another.  That's hard for me to do and sometimes I can't help myself from giving advice but I try not to.  TomW and Dave, your posts made me laugh.  fatozzig, I think it's fantastic the way you are trying to learn as much as you can to support your husband.  Good luck to both of you.

Nice long runs for bike and hermosa.

This morning, it was in the high 40s and calm when I went out.  It was about 60° when I finished.  The longest I've gone in months is 12 miles and those runs have been right around an 11 min. pace.  I wanted to do 12 and started with an effort that was easy in hopes of finishing.  Every couple of miles, I would check and my pace was less than 10:25.  After 5 or 6 miles, I started thinking that I might try for 13.1 miles in recognition of my daughter running the Chicago half on Sun.  I kept plodding along without trying to pick up the pace but doing so anyway and it didn't seem to be getting real bad.  I got in the 13.1 miles in 2:14:20 for a 10:15 pace.  I was pleased with the run.

In a little bit, I hope to do a derrick and till my wife's garden.  As derrick indicated, it's been so wet here all spring that it's been impossible to work up and plant a garden unless a person wanted to plant rice.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

jtv

Holly - congrats to DD on her straight A's.  An evening of golfing sounds like an interesting taper for a 50K - Good luck

Byll - I'm sure DS will make a good decision (which it sounds like either one is)

Twocat - I had my ankle taped for a few weeks last yr for an injury (peroneal tendonitis). Made a big diff in my recovery.  Hopefully it helps you too.

Good Luck to all the other weekend racers!

Ahhh.  what a relief in the weather.  54F at 6am, and the dewpoint was 39F.  6 miles with a 3 mile tempo (6:50, 6:55; 6:58).

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

HermosaBoy

I kept plodding along without trying to pick up the pace but doing so anyway and it didn't seem to be getting real bad.  I got in the 13.1 miles in 2:14:20 for a 10:15 pace.  I was pleased with the run.

Nice!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #957

So Holly, let me get this straight ...  you're walking the golf course tonight and running a 50K tomorrow morning?  Dang, girl.

I know, I did think about that, but I really try to keep my running from getting in the way of our family activities.  Besides, tomorrow isn’t a target race or anything, and with the heat, I’ll definitely be taking it slow anyway.

TomWhite – Big grin

Mary – JellyBelly is adorable!

Dg – hi!  I was thinking about you on the drive home today, wondering how your race went.  I do hope you're working on your RR.  Even a short one would be great.  Smile

Leslie – pack the golfcart with a cooler of soft drinks.  If he has a cold drink in his hand, maybe he won’t care if it’s not alcohol.

Byll – good luck to your DS and smart move staying out of it.  I agree with TomWhite.

Well, I didn’t get to see DD get her award after all.  She called me from school to say that they changed the assembly to morning instead of afternoon, and I couldn’t take off work.  Oh well.  She seemed okay with it.  So I came home after work and took a nap instead. Joking

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Just when I'm thinking, it sucks to run in 90 degree heat, a few other runners come along and we have a nice chat.  3.8 miles.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

[TMI alert]/

On the way to the bus stop this morning, DS (grade 5) mentions they had their first human reproduction lesson yesterday.

DS - "I knew all the words already, I just didn't know what things looked like"

me - oh no, what kinds of pictures did they show them?

DS - "The stuff just looks like plankton."

me - racking my brains, what does plankton look like, what is he talking about?

me - "What are you talking about?"

DS - "Sperm!"

me - cringing, DD is here listening to everything!

DS - "We were all really grossed out.  Why did the teacher have to give us that lesson right before snack!"

/[TMI alert]

2.8 miles on the horse trails, and I didn't fall down!!  It is possible Mike!  But please don't hex me.  I went mostly to give the dog a run and he actually behaved around a horse, just slinking by and not barking or anything.  Of course I still got the stink eye for not having him on a leash.

I am thinking of sneaking a few trillium seed pods into my pouch next time I go.  This is probably highly illegal but I'd like to get a colony growing in my backyard.  I read not to take more than 5% of the seeds, so I wouldn't even do that.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke - Too funny!  I remember coming home from school after "the film," sitting for a little bit in the living with my mom (don't remember what we were doing), and I suddenly blurt out, "Sally says to get pregnant you have stick your tongue in a guy's mouth and go to bed without any underpants on." [Sally was tall for 5th grade and was getting boobs already, so of course she knew everything.]   My poor mom just about hand a coronary.  I still remember the look of utter shock and NOW-what-do-I-do?? on her face. Big grin

Nice run, Tselbs!

Thanks, Mike.

Holly - Congrats to your daughter on straight A's.  Wow! What an accomplishment!  Re a cooler full of sodas - Right now he's even banned sugar (which sucks since I've suddenly "found" diet Coke).  I may have to try and turn him to that part of the Dark Side again. Wink

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

EnkeEmbarrassed  but good runs,  welcome back.

Byll:  Good luck to DS and his decision,  A wise man once told me,  after weighing all the options,  if the choice really becomes a coin toss then toss a coin.   If you don't like the way it lands pick the other choice.

Can't wait to see how the butterfly wings soar tomorrow

I've been out for a few days with a stomach bug (or maybe I ate something).  anyway,  finally feeling more or less back to normal.  ran 5 miles today, it was a bit tough but probably because I haven't eaten much since Tuesday.

Dave

lamerunner

Good luck to Holly and all the Newport racers!!

Looks like Tim has a harem...Big grin

Holly S, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.  I admire your athletic abilities.

Opie it looks like you are back to your usual great running.

I am looking forward to tomorrow when I get to watch Mike, Nancy, and Erika finish at the Newport Marathon.  

I had a nice woods (hills) run and walk for an hour in great weather.  

SteveP

I think Shorty is a pretty lucky guy!

It's wonderful to see your one of a kind (twisted) personality on the rebound. You're healing on the inside.

SteveP