Masters Running

Thursday May 30 Daily (Read 44 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh, enke...there's no better place than here to bring that stuff...I do it all the time.  And, while I can't say that I know how you feel, I know how I felt when I went through my divorce...it sucked!  But it sure turned out pretty dang good.

Speaking of turning out good...I went for a run with Ryan, tonight!  I'm not sure if I've ever told you all how much I love running with Ryan...but, I really love running with Ryan.  He hasn't been running a lot lately, so I thought I'd be able to hang with him...he was smiling in the last mile of a 7 miler as we were doing a 6:10 pace and he said, "Man, I love running, again."  It just about killed me, but we did 7.2 miles in 49:29...man, I love running with that kid!

Okay--I gotta get to bed.  Oh, Stumpy...sorry, man...that's tough.

Maniac 505

Enke:

I'm so sorry. no apology necessary.  I wish I knew what to say,  I never do.  You on the other hand ALWAYS know what to say.  (maybe you can channel yourself).

Anyway,  complain away.  that is what we are here for.

As for catching trout?  I've never fished in this state but I did a lot when I lived in Montana.  Just a couple of tips.  If they are Jumping, dry flies might be best.  (there are ways to use these without fly rods)  If you are using lures,  red devils were always my fall back,  If you are just looking for meat, salmon eggs with a bobber were often a trout slayer.

when you catch the first one,  You can clean it and see what is in it's stomach.  that will tell you their favorite food.

I used to go back packing for 3 or 4 nights in the mountains.  I would carry oil and corn meal for fish dinners.  pancake mix to mix with wild huckleberries for breakfast , and enough trail-mix  to get me back to the car of the above options didn't work Smile  best of luck to you and DD

I promise, no more complaining.  I am just, well, to be blunt, still in shock that we are actually getting divorced after 27 years of marriage, 29 years together, without any serious issues or incompatibilities.  I just wish I had more time to run to deal with this.  Anyway, a running forum is not the place for this.  I apologize.

wildchild

Carolyn

Enke, I'm sorry you're having a tough time with the divorce.  How are your kids holding up?  I'm sure it's hard on them, too.  If everyone here just talked about running, think of all the stuff we'd miss out on!    Like Holly's DD shutting the dog and cat in a blanket chest together to help them get along... or Tag's adventures with Honey...  or Karin's killer CrossFit workouts...  or divechief's  fishing tips... or Jlynne and Marj's retirement plans... or the sad loss of Stumpy's dear buddy Max...  or Jay's community meetings and beautiful sunrises...   or Mike's super fast runs with Ryan (oh, wait, I guess that's running related!)...

4 easy trail miles at lunchtime.  Took my shirt off after about a mile - it was warm and windy.  Odd to run shirtless at lunch when I wore a parka driving to work this morning - we got a dusting of snow overnight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

No running reports here, Cero! Thank goodness this is taper week since work and life did not allow me to do much but go from one appointment to the next. Yesterday was attending a meeting for 6 hours, lively and invigorating meeting, I may add!. After the meeting was driving for 7 hours back home. Great weather, wonderful NPR programs to keep me company and great glympse of sunshine here and there.

I am just here to give my precious friend Enkephalin a huge butterfly hug

and...to announce that my new marathoners (son and other son) just registered for a mountain ultra race in two weeks and that I saw them going out for a 10 miler today all by themselves...Roll eyes...no posie mama advice needed Big grin...young kids sure grow up fast!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Enkephalin, so sorry for what you're going thru. That sucks, and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Kevin, there are no words to ease this. I know because I've gone thru it with a few life pets. I hope Max has found Cheyenne there where all good dogs go because she would welcome him with a big smile and a tail wag. He looks like a wonderful friend.

Rest day for me. After 15 days in a row, with some high mileage and hot temps (for me), I needed a day of sloth. Went to lunch with DH (falafel!) and did some more in the garden when I got home (lettuce planted, check!). Still trying to decide if I want to do the "Two-Way Torture Test" on Saturday which is a team event with peso pruners going pop polite ways around a 13.1 mile loop course around a big hill/ridge. Last year my partner and I did it in 1:46 and if they'd given a prize for closest finish time we'd have won! But they don't so we didn't. At this point it just seems like a recipe for injury, but I might still do it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

not much can be understood about it enke but let those of us in Seattle help/support in any way possible. Just say the word.

A butterfly boys mountain ultra?  I kind of overextended my allotted mileages for the year last weekend but that sounds enticing, especially if DS-1 wears his Chaco sandals and I could wear the Chaco thongs I got warmed up over the weekend for Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel.

private message to divechief:  like Carolyn indicates, we're more than just a  bunch of runners. In fact, with some of the "friends" lawyers end up with, this is more real than some of them and all posts are welcome and encouraged.  However, it's just not nice to post about hiking into pristine mountain lakes for catch-and-eat fishing to say nothing of pancakes with local berries the next day.  I guess though, since you are stuck in a city where we can't do it anymore either, it's okay.  Can't you just smell those fish cooking on an open fire.  We would never carry in camp stoves in those days but some places prohibit camp fires now.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Enke, as much as we share tips, tribulations and successes regarding our running goals, we share the same experiences with life.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

which is a team event with peso pruners going pop polite ways

Am I the only one who has no idea what this means?   Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm guessing auto-fill run amok.  Or REALLY bad touch typing.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Am I the only one who has no idea what this means?   Smile

Ha! I wrote it and I don't understand it! Yes, tapping away on the iPad and that auto-correct thing is almost more annoying than the little touch-pad keyboard!

Marathon Maniac #957

Big grin  I wondered about that

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."