Masters Running

Wildlife encounter strategies (Read 288 times)

Bushrat Runner

Doug B, I have to try the dryer sheets suggestion. Thanks for the tip, would be very cool to not have horseflies buzzing around my head for the next month of running...

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I was also going to suggest the dryer sheets for the fly biters.   I heard that it works wonderfully and need to remember to tuck one into my pony tail my next time out.

Hopefully Jay will pop in to tell us how to avoid frogs and toads on our runs.  Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

"Running past Geese: If they seem to be congregated on one side of the path, pick a line as far from them as you can. Do NOT make eye contact! If they lower their heads and start honking towards you, run like Hell! Big grin"

lol exact advice I give my daughter for running past geese, even the eye contact part.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Doug B, I have to try the dryer sheets suggestion. Thanks for the tip, would be very cool to not have horseflies buzzing around my head for the next month of running...

they still may follow you a bit but I've not been bit with dryer sheet pinned to a running hat.  They may stay far enough away that they don't get in your face, which is about all I can ask for. 

Horse flies and moose and suicidal chipmunks.  . . . . . sounds like my black bears are the preferred wildlife.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

an amazing likeness

Encountered this sign at mile 9 of a recent road marathon....

I started looking around for a stick since two of the options required a big stick.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mariposai

Troy, this is of great help! Thanks for starting this thread. I already learned a few tips from this thread and I am sure more info to follow.

We are avid hikers in my family and I have forwarded this thread to my sons as well. Thanks!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bushrat Runner

Mariposai, my pleasure. Hope it is helpful. 

Milktruck, love the coyote sign. Reminds me of how I deal with dogs...I stop. Turn and face them. Let them decide what to do. Usually they don't like being faced and will try to circle around...I keep facing them. Then I slowly move on and they usually move off. If not, I pick up some gravel. They usually know what that means and bolt. Only about three times in my life have I had to throw gravel at a dog. Last time was on my last visit to Omak a couple years back.