Masters Running

Friday September 5 runs and stuff (Read 577 times)

4 ezpz miles this morning...8:20 pace Tet said that Divechief and Arf are also running Skagit Flats...I'd sure like to meet them...
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
    Mariposai

Tim go the night before, enjoy the pre-race atmosphere, if at all possible hang out with other runners and live it up my friend. Why worry about the alarm not going off or having traffic problems in route or anything else just before the race? Just one think...make sure you tell us all about it when you come back Wink Gordon here is to a FANTASTIC MARATHON TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!You are so ready for the result you are after. Enjoy your victory lap my friend. I will be thinking of you!!!! Holly and Karin I wish my butterfly wings would take me to your area so I can have fun running with you two. Up at 4:30 and out for a pleasant 5 alt. miles (1 mi tempo, 1 mi@10:15, 1 mi tempo plus w/u and c/d. The schedule called for 5 tempo miles, but I knew I did not have it on me today so I settle for quality instead of quantity. Aamos...I sure wish I had a way to send you some of my pesto...my freezer is so full of it now that my DH is wondering about my sanity of making more, but I hate to let basil go to waste. Hey, maybe you can come my way to enjoy a bit of my cocina italiana. I was thinking of perch this morning...butterfly hugs to you my friend. I hope SR was able to sleep better last night. Glad to see how well your recovery is coming along. BTW, do you have any tips for me on dos and don't for web seminar? I will be teaching a series of classes via telehealth that will be broadcast via telehealth to 6 different states and I want to learn a few hints from the pro. You can send me a private email on this.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I forget, who's the Red Sox fan on here? DH and DS got two free tickets, and they're going to the game Monday night against Tampa Bay. Does anyone know about parking for Red Sox games? DH doesn't want to take the train, because he can't afford to take that much time off.
        One option is to drive all the way into the city, take the Exit for the Prudential Center and park in the Prudential Center parking lot. It is immediately after the exit with the entrance on the right. There is reduced fee for parking for Red Sox events, but you have to turn in a ticket stub for the discount. (I think it costs $10) From the Pru, you can walk to Fenway in about 10-15 minutes. When leaving, it is a short 3/4 mile drive to the entrance to the Mass Pike... Have fun and go Sox!
          Mariposai - Thanks for the warm wishes...Coach told me "No Talking,Just Run"...
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
            I forget, who's the Red Sox fan on here?
            Me! I'm one! I am so glad your family will be there--Red Sox Nation needs to do all it can to ward off the deadly, evil Rays Angry. Both parking ideas are good, but coming from the north, I'd do the Pru Center. Hoping we will have lots of Sox games to look forward to when I see you in Portland in Oct! grins, A ps: Mari, I am so so so wishing I could take you up on your offer. <stomach>> I will get to the PNW again soon, and will have to meet you. Holly & Karin--and wait 'til we plan the outfits!</stomach>
            Masters 2000 miles
              Tim I am going to second Mariposai's view on the drive or stay option. If you know people that will be up there the day before the race go up and have fun with them! Just remember you do have a race the next morning! Busy day here yesterday on the boards. Five pages of posts in the daily! I will have to try and catch up later. Just a quick post by me for now. Exhibiting clinical insanity I went for my threatened afternoon speedwork run after having run nearly 8 miles in the morning with some friends. I ended up doing 9+ miles total. The middle 3 miles were the intervals at a local junior high school's track. This is only the second time I have ever done intervals on a track. One nice thing is that it makes it easy to see where the end will be! I wonder if that helps with times as you can more easily push your body if you know you get to do your between interval jog in just a few more feet? Anyway, my goal was 6x600 meters at a 6:24 pace. Ended up, in order, with 6 at 6:22, 6:21, 6:22, 6:20, 6:44, and last and clearly least 6:47. Looked good for the first 4 at least! Today I am taking off from running. Hopefully the weather will hold up for tomorrow's HM. Seems pretty dicey at the moment though. They say there is a 60% chance of showers throughout the time I expect to be on race course if I run it. My current plan is to get up tomorrow and look outside. If it is not raining or just a light drizzle I will check the radar on the TV. If the radar looks ok I will head to the race and see how the weather holds up. But this is not a target race of any sort so I am not willing to get soaked to run it! Smile My DW has been out of town all week on business. She returns late tonight. Dinner last night was good but took bloody forever! Ended up eating at about 9:30pm which is about 30 minutes after I often head to bed! Ugh!!! Wound up going to sleep at 1am! Angry This is why business dinners may sound like fun (Gee somebody else pays and you get to eat at a good restaurant! What a deal!) while in reality they generally end up as torture tests. Dead Good running all!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the parking info, everyone! Amy, I knew as soon as the Red Sox fanatic posted, I would say, "Duh!" DH and DS are so excited. We've been to only one game in the 22 years we've lived here. Someone at our church somehow found tickets, and they gave them away during a church service on Father's Day! They knocked a plastic ball into the audience, and DS caught it, so that's why he gets to go with his dad.
                Mariposai

<quote pid="4c10a6ac0eec41fb8cb2342283825aa9> just a quick post by me for now. exhibiting clinical insanity i went for my threatened afternoon speedwork run after having run nearly 8 miles in the morning with some friends. i ended up doing 9+ miles total. !</quote> twocat, you must be in pretty good shape to be able to handle that kind of intervals w/o after having ran 8 miles in the morning. <quote>today i am taking off from running. !</quote> butterfly hugs for resting. i so agree wtih you about business dinners. it is fun at first, but i find them very tiring after awhile. xx( aamos, let me know your pnw racing plans for next year. maybe i can plan to do the same. at this point i am planning to run yakima river and seattle r&r in the frist part of the year and most likely skagit flats in the fall, unless i get in to nyc next year. i am going to pursue nyc every fall until i am lucky enough to get in. pid=""></quote pid="4c10a6ac0eec41fb8cb2342283825aa9> just a quick post by me for now. exhibiting clinical insanity i went for my threatened afternoon speedwork run after having run nearly 8 miles in the morning with some friends. i ended up doing 9+ miles total. !</quote> twocat, you must be in pretty good shape to be able to handle that kind of intervals w/o after having ran 8 miles in the morning. <quote>today i am taking off from running. !</quote> butterfly hugs for resting. i so agree wtih you about business dinners. it is fun at first, but i find them very tiring after awhile. xx( aamos, let me know your pnw racing plans for next year. maybe i can plan to do the same. at this point i am planning to run yakima river and seattle r&r in the frist part of the year and most likely skagit flats in the fall, unless i get in to nyc next year. i am going to pursue nyc every fall until i am lucky enough to get in.>

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai

Exhibiting clinical insanity I went for my threatened afternoon speedwork run after having run nearly 8 miles in the morning with some friends. I ended up doing 9+ miles total. !
                    twocat, you must be in pretty good shape to be able to handle that kind of intervals w/o after having ran 8 miles in the morning.
                    Today I am taking off from running. !
                    Butterfly hugs for resting. I so agree wtih you about business dinners. It is fun at first, but I find them very tiring after awhile. Dead

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I had to laugh at your math error and the responses to it. (of course, being an engineer I noticed it right away!) Glad to hear you and Karin had fun dancin' in the rain. How did Amy's choreography work out for you? Cool Tim, I'd sleep at home and drive in the am to the race. I know you're not a morning runner, either, and that way you have time to wake up and eat while you're driving. Hope the rainy weather doesn't wash out too many runs and races for those of you in Hanna's path. I like Tall's attitude - race anyway, and maybe the rain will keep some of the fast competition at home. Wink DickyG, hope your softball doesn't get "hanna'd out" - I think softball in the rain might not be as fun as running in the rain. Dark Horse, WRFB's avatar is a picture of you? Talk about bad race photos... Shocked Gordon, good luck at your marathon! You've been training so well I'm sure you'll do great. And getting to meet Divechief and Arf would be awesome - if you see them, say HI from all of us here! Twocat, good luck with your HM if you decide to do it! Personally, I like running in gentle rain but not in a downpour, and it sounds like Hanna might bring the latter. I took yesterday off to rest my tweaked ankle, and I think I might try an easy run at lunchtime today. It drove me crazy not to run yesterday - it was a beautiful day and I wanted to be out there so bad! I empathize with those of you on the DL! Perch, how are you holding up? I also felt really hungry, although I'm not sure why, and I didn't have running as an excuse to eat more. Hey, where are some of the new folks who don't post often? Handymom? Rururunner? Walt? Don't be lurkers! And how about Evryday and Cranium? Too busy to post? And I'm sure I'm missing some others...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Stud Muffin - since I don't sleep well in hotels, I'd probably opt to stay at home for a race that was 60 miles or less away. But if you have no problem sleeping well in a hotel, and $$ isn't an issue, then I would vote for being closer to the race so you have a bit more relax/down time in the a.m. Was that indecisive enough for you? Tongue Holly & Karin - sounds like a great run you two had! Gordon - have fun at your race this weekend and I hope you get to meet Dave and Arf. And if anyone ever gets the chance to meet up with Gordon - do it! I have met up with him twice now at races, with the most recent being the Ragnar relay and let me tell you, he's a GREAT guy! One of my favorites on the boards. In fact, I think that post-ragnar relay, he spent more time laughing and hanging out with our team, then he did his own! LOL . . . or maybe that was because we had a cooler of beer Wink I can't wait til our paths cross again at another race. I'll get in a TM run during lunch time today. Probably 4 miles. And then my long run is planned for tomorrow. My son has his first flag football game at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow, so I am hoping to get in about 10 miles in the early a.m. And if anyone is bored today and feels like checking out my blog, I updated with a few entries and pics from our trip to San Fran last weekend. www.runningingp.blogspot.com Have a good day everyone.

Tammy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I'm glad everyone is having a great Friday! really imersed in work this morning so just up for air. Holly...Nice run with CNY! So glad you running well enough to really enjoy running in the rain with our fren! Tim.. I agree with Mariposai the atmosphere of the night before is awesome and being relaxed and rested is a plus. Now, my next marathn is ony 20 minutes away so I'll drive in the morning for the first time. I run a half marathon in December which is about the same distance as yours and it works out just fine. So either way you'll be good. Best wishes to Gordon... it's here already! Swift feet! Mari.. thanks for reminding me... Now I get butterfly hugs EVERY DAY!! 2 mile walk (wearing splint) with Tory in 32 min (uh,oh... I'm sounding like Spareribs..) (Tramps: I have a dulll leg pain that I think might be bone so I'm laying off for a bit)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - Thanks for the warm wishes...Coach told me "No Talking,Just Run"...
                            Here's hoping for an "everything comes together perfectly" race for you, Gordon! And you better not forget to post a race report. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

and I get to race in Sudbury too..Tall
                              Whenever you mention Sudbury, this song lyric always pops into my head: the girls are playing bingo and the boys are getting stinko on a Sudbury Satuday night Now, who is the songwriter? I am feeling MUCH better today. Low grade fever seems to be gone and I'm not having woozy moments anymore. Gosh, I was feeling like that for 10 days! It was starting to concern me too, CNYrunner. I went for a run last night, and although I didn't feel 100%, I felt much better than the previous evening. It was about 72F outside, so I went slow. 4.37 miles @ 11.22 pace. I did the last 0.59 miles BAREFOOT, on the asphalt roads around my 'hood, which were not as smooth as I had hoped. Ouch. DH - Big grin Don't worry, I'm not about to take a long walk off a short dock. I've got your witty posts to keep me going!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Gordon! I hope you do see Divechief and Arf. If/when you do, give Arf a big ol' hug and tell her it's from me. heheh, then Dave won't mind. Wink Good luck and speedy feet, my friend. (And everything Tammy said is true!) Holly and CNYrunner, you lucky ducks. I'd even run in the rain for a group run like that! We had rain last night... just sprinkles, but enough to make the car and grass all wet. After an almost record-breaking stretch of rain in July and early August, we've gone about 3 weeks with nothing and it's been getting very dry and dusty. Here's a picture taken from the field below my office building by our public affairs person earlier this week. I'm waving from the top floor, far right corner office... can you see me? Big grin I'll be heading out for 4-5 easy miles at lunchtime (a much more civilized time to run than 5 a.m. if you ask me!)