Masters Running

O'Thursday, 3.17.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Top 'o the ornin' everyone.

I'm glad that Deeze is getting back into workouts, and that LaT is getting back to her regular Wednesday running crew. I hope David did well in his 1st tennis tournament and that Tammy got in a late run. Beautiful response to that little girl, RCG - may have changed her life. Speaking of wills: Ribs and Steve - DW and i don't have kids to leave stuff to, so our goal is to die with just enough money to dispose of what is left of us - sorry. It is always exciting (Holly, WC, Twocat, Aamos, and others) to watch and listen to people voting for their very first time. Good luck with that stubborn knee, WC.My Garmin 220 is about 2+ years old and working fine, Leslie. Good luck in the Challenge this weekend - sounds like a heck of a race!

Running vs. jogging? What do I know - I walk. But it seems to me that Tet's def. describes it pretty well, but so does Mike's sentiment. It is as much a state of mind as anything else. As seen in yesterday's posts, many people have differing ideas of what separates runners from joggers (and visa versa). The only unfortunate aspect is that 'jogger' has come to have negative connotations in many people's minds, and I don't know if that is always well-deserved.

I woke at 3:30 this morning, told myself I'd relax there for another 15 minutes and then get up and head out. Next I knew, it was 4:30 and my op had passed. Just as well - the fog was so dang dense that I wouldn't have felt safe/visible out there, even with reflective gear and a head light. So it goes.

I'm off to this morning's meeting - working on a redesign of our half marathon web site.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Well, years ago I was a real runner, but today at 10+ minutes a mile I am most certainly a jogger, and don't mind it a bit. Happy as hell I'm out there.  Taking a rare day off today as I have a race on Saturday. Today I'm cooking a corned beef brisket and carrots, and making horse radish sauce from scratch.  One time I asked my son to smell the horseradish in the food processor to see if it was any good.  Nearly killed him. It's my favorite part of the meal.

Great time last night at the Americano with Lou and Harriet.  Haven't seen them in ages.  Harriet was first in her AG at the Zydeco Marathon in Louisiana on Saturday.  We'll try to sit with them at the RRCA banquet on Saturday.

Spareribs

TammyinGP

Great photo of you all Ribs. And you all look like runners to me.

I think that the differentiation between running and jogging is maybe a bit generational, maybe a bit of ones attitude and discipline about the sport, their consistency and of course, whether or not they bounce up and down/jog in place while waiting for a red light, or just stand there looking pissed. 

Davids first tennis match was over pretty quick. and not because he "wrecked" the opponent. He played doubles (which he's never played before). they pretty much got wrecked. they did win one game with david scoring the winning hit (not even sure if that's what you call it?), but otherwise the score was 6-0 and 6-1.

Didn't get in a run yesterday because he started playing much sooner than we originally thought, so I actually ended up having to leave work early when he texted and said he'd be playing in about 30 minutes.  but today I should be able to get in about an hours run while he has practice.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Great picture!  Talk about some fit and good-looking people!

I agree that the runner vs jogger is mostly a matter of perception.  I totally consider Jay a runner, even though he mostly race-walks (albeit at a pace faster than many runners).

Leslie - I just received my Garmin 220 a few days ago (to replace my beloved 305) and have been playing with it.  I really like it so far - it is so much lighter than the 305 and very easy to read.  Not to mention purple.  

I had a meeting close to home this morning which allowed me a few more minutes of running time.  A little brisk at 47 degrees, but one of those runs where I finished feeling refreshed and invigorated - love those!

7.3 miles, including 10 x 120M striders

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

what the Boston marathon finish line looked like 20,000 years ago..

http://i.giphy.com/d4bmrq3e0fCte32o.gif

(hope it works)

marj

Wonderful photo!  Two handsome couples, that is for sure!

I don't think I was jogging this morning, there was not any jerky motion.  I was slow as molasses though....I have developed that old person's shuffle-run to save my joints.  Slunning?  Slogging?

Cold for here - 38F, some frost on the grass. 4 miles, 2 of those at the middle school track so that I could enjoy the softer gravel/dirt/mud.

I have discovered the only way to get out there in the morning is to not think about it, just do it.  Bleary eyed, tired and achy, I just pull on my 'running' clothes and stumble out the door.  Within a mile, I am happy I did it.

I also BBB'd to work this am and will single B (bike) home tonight.  I also B'd to MBE's house last night then we went out for pretty good Mexican food.  I had some kind of egg battered and baked? chayote with tomato sauce....yummy!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

Well, years ago I was a real runner, but today at 10+ minutes a mile I am most certainly a jogger, and don't mind it a bit. 

if a person wins their age group at an 11:00 minute mile and beats out other participants, are they runners or joggers?  I think the perception answer is a good one!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

57F

6.2 miles

57:28

Ton of us out there this morning running different paces and different routes. Carol, Ralph, and I stayed together for the 10K and then Ralph went to run more and Carol went home to work and I changed my clothes in my car, tied a bandana onto my head, and went to daily mass at 0700.

MTA: Yippee, Enke! It makes me happy that you were happy with the run after forcing yourself to get out there. That is another trick. Even when you think you want to go back to bed, just change into your running clothes and then you say to yourself, "Oh well. Since I am already dressed, I might as well run."

Marj, loved the geological history lesson! Good luck.

Spareribs, loved the photo. Why do the women seem to look more beautiful and younger each time I see them?

Jay, I know that I would be proud to call myself a RaceWalker, especially if I had your skill in that sport.

Holly, I love runs like that, too. Glad that you were able to enjoy this lovely morning.

Tammy, great that you can make it to David's matches. (shots. They are called "winning shots" Generic shots. There are specific "winners" smashes, lobs (yes, even lobs can be winners), aces, e.g.)  My friend, Sandy, and I were "first doubles" on our high school team. It's a wonderful sport.

Twocat, Jogger v. runner?  As per usual, I will be a pain in the a$$ and say I prefer not to be labeled by someone else. I want to be able to name myself. If I call myself a runner, then I am one. What ticks me off is when the spirit in which someone uses the term "jogger" is derogatory.

This morning. On my way to meet my runner friends. I was driving on 4-H Club road when a critter walked across the road in front of my car. I braked in plenty of time and said to the critter, "Today. You are an O'Possum"

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

I hope you all know that what I posted yesterday re runners v. joggers was totally with tongue in cheek (except for maybe the velour tracksuit comment ).  I love Tammy's response: ". . . and of course, whether or not they bounce up and down/jog in place while waiting for a red light, or just stand there looking pissed."   Classic!

Where does Jay fit in this ongoing discussion?  He's just frigging fast!! - that's where he fits in. 

Great photo of Ribs and Gang.  A few people from our local running club are headed down today to the convention, as well.  I'm thinking now that I'm getting to know more people who are part of the club, maybe I should join again . . . even though all but 2 of their races are road races.  Yes, I fully admit that I am a trail snob . . . and proud of it!

Thanks for the info, Holly.  My two big things for a Garmin are it has to have really long battery life and needs to track well in the trees.  Oh, and basically work period!  

Late night with Bonkos last night (I didn't get to bed until after 10:30.  Ugh!).  The Hub said I had a meltdown in the middle of the night, yelling at Goofy 'cause he wouldn't stop meowing to go out.  I remember him meowing and I vaguely remember getting out of bed, but I definitely don't remember yelling or going back to bed.  One of my medications was changed last months, so I need to look at the side effects, because I've also been having some really terrible nightmares the last couple of weeks.  Night before last, it was so bad I didn't want to go back to sleep for fear of it continuing.

Okay - Work calls (how rude . . .)

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I hope you all know that what I posted yesterday re runners v. joggers was totally with tongue in cheek (except for maybe the velour tracksuit comment ).  I love Tammy's response: ". . . and of course, whether or not they bounce up and down/jog in place while waiting for a red light, or just stand there looking pissed."   Classic!

Yes!  Definitely recognized the bulging cheek!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - One reason I chose the 220 is because it is supposed to have 8-10 hour battery life.  When people run longer than that, do they bring an extra gps, or do they carry a portable charger and charge it up periodically?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - Sometimes of the FR's allow you to turn off the GPS tracker, which helps the battery last longer.  The 310xt, even with the GPS tracking, would last 20+ hrs.  It's my understanding the 910xt, without GPS tracking, has a battery life of around 55 hrs, so I'm guessing around 30 hrs w/GPS.

The 305 and the 310 both tracked really well under tree cover, which is important for me.  I'm still looking for reviews about the 910.  The other thing about the 310 is that it's been a real PITA when trying to download to Strava, Garmin, or RA.  The last 2 times I tried, I couldn't get it work.  It seems to do it whenever it darn well pleases and thumbs its nose at me the rest of the time. 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Love Horseradish!

Just zinging by (in my green race shirt from Marco island, so glad to have it!)

Hey, I run a lot of miles around the 9-10 minute range.

And I'ma gonna go do that right now.  It's a gorgeous day and Lakes Park is calling me.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - Sometimes of the FR's allow you to turn off the GPS tracker, which helps the battery last longer.  The 310xt, even with the GPS tracking, would last 20+ hrs.  It's my understanding the 910xt, without GPS tracking, has a battery life of around 55 hrs, so I'm guessing around 30 hrs w/GPS.

I'm guessing I couldn't get those for the $159 I paid for my 220 though......also, I have never actually run more than 8-10 hours.  I have yet to decide to commit to a longer race.

When Amy says "zinging," she really means it - fast woman!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dear Dad,

glad u're meeting's over early.

After you pick up (GS) from school,

please take him over to ice skating

rink for the youth hockey lessons.

Glad to have you back.

thank u

love u

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)