Masters Running

Toosday, 8.11.15 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

Congrats to Hudson on his promotions and scholarship $$ - way cool, and clearly well-earned.

Nice looking washer, Holly. Have you taken it for a spin yet?

Tet, my friend Jenne, in Mobile, AL is part of a non-profit group that helps people repair their bikes, and fixes old bikes and gives them away. They'll tell you there is no bike that can't be fixed.

Great photos, Roch! Looks like it was a great bike tour.

Cranieum stops by as Mr. Magic.

Leslie, I was thinking of the same Yogi Berra quote that Steve posted yesterday about forks in the road. It'll be interesting to see where going left takes you.

I hope the zap works, Tselbes.

Happy Anniversary, Mariposai! Seems like it's been a good run for you and the Easy Pacer, in so many ways...

Hey! A dg pop-in!

Enjoy couch-potatodom, TwoCat. Sometimes we need to back off to go forward (??).

I had a semi-sucessful meeting with our Board of Selectmen last night: Some of our town employees (including our Conservation Coordinator, whom I supervise) don't get raises if the voters don't approve the budget each year, and they've only approved it 4 times in the last 17 years. I've been working since April to try to find a way to help those employees get their earned increases, regardless of whether or not the budget is voted in. The Selectmen have finally recognized that this is a problem, and are going to work to find a solution. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with...

6.4 RW miles in 64F muggy, breezy weather this morning. Despite there being a slice 'o moon high in the sky, it sure was dark when I headed out this morning. Thickening clouds were sliding in from the west, and it was like pulling a night shade over the sky. We're expecting a lotta rain today, but it was still dry (although I wasn't!) by the time I got home.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

My last early morning run with the Hill Gang.  5.62 miles and the hardest run I've done in a while.  I used a strategy where I stayed up with the faster guys but did less reps so I could have longer to recover.  It worked out pretty good.

I pack up the truck a week from today.  I made a mistake of getting too involved in things around here and now I have to go through constant "goodbyes".  Actually I blame Cindy for most of our involvement in things but I am not totally innocent.  An assistant pastor asked me Sunday if it was my last Sunday or not.  I said I'd be around 1 more week if he could promise to limit all the hugging.  There is even a going away party for us next Sunday.  4 hour open house being hosted by "friends" of ours.

Somehow this did not happen in our last couple moves. We obviously did something wrong here in Michigan.

This morning will be the last time we have the house cleaned.  Colleen has been helping us for 10 years. Most of the time with her sister.  So time to gear up for another goodbye.  She already started last week talking about how many clients she has been losing to people moving away or dying.

Tonight is a Toastmaster summer party.  Another goodbye with people I have known for 10 years.

And so it goes.

King of PhotoShop

Wonderful evidence of what a good guy you are Dave, that so many people have become friends and that they will miss you for all you have done in the community.

Leslie, with all that is on your plate right now, I was happy to read a post where you had a good laugh.  Keep doing that.

tselbs, that procedure is pretty straightforward and I'm happy to see you are getting the benefit. I used to be very active in Lions Club and our purpose centered around vision issues, with free glaucoma screenings etc. I am glad you are getting this relief.

The pics of our beautiful Mariposai on FB were stunning, and I am so happy for you as you celebrate your 30th.  Best to EP as well.

Great to see the trickster Craneium here again.  hope he visits often and doesn't pull a fast one on us like he did to that guy with the card.

Very difficult day here until the "cold front" comes in tonight, dew point at 68, 84 degrees at the start of my run at 7 a.m., no wind.  Slogged through 4.1 miles and happy when it was over!  It will be over 100 today, but then we're expecting low 90's for about a two day break.

Next week my travel will take me to Chattanooga, and then a quick drive to Dalton, GA.  I expect to leave the Pennsylvania station at a quarter to four, read a magazine and then I'm in Baltimore, dinner in the diner, nothing could be finer, than to have my ham and eggs in Carolina.   Spareribs

Hi Craneium!  Not sure I spelled that correctly.

I am taking my daughter to both a dentist and orthodontist appointment, so I had more time to run this morning.  4 mile out and back (ie 8 miles) to the blueberry fields on the other side of the hiway.

I felt like I was stuck in first gear, you know, that super low gear, running > 11 min/mile pace.  But that is the pace that feels right and easy on these runs, but I was frustrated with it.  So I decided to challenge the legs to something faster and did 1 kilometre at 8:36 pace near the end of my run.  I couldn't go any further at that pace, but it was nice to move the legs a little faster and actually run instead of shuffle.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

did 1 kilometre at 8:36 pace near the end of my run. .

Good job, enke.

Time to join the Fast Ladies..

Oh, you already have.

0 miles taper day no. 1
            As I sacrified so much for several months when two cat was on his long recovery a number of winters ago, I’m going to Taper-for–Tom at least until he can start posting again.  Good luck Tom. 
            ps - don’t rush it; healing takes time nowadays.
            Happy ‘versary posies
            Mary’s Falls (and salmon cam)

(where I was crossing small creek  with GS in my arms to keep him dry

on the way to the falls, . . . . and promptly slipped and fell in

arms first around GS but completely drenching him. Fortunately,

the sun was warm and he wanted to continue on out to the falls. 

Needless to say, interesting discussion with DD upon return home)

Nugget Falls and Mendenhall Glacier . . . 27 - 'Steep Creek Salmon3

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP -   Wilson is in big BIG trouble if that's the case.  That cat can't make up his mind about anything.

Poise - Happy Anniversary to two of the sweetest people it's been my pleasure to meet.

Ribs - Thank you.

{{Prayers for TW and for his surgeons}}

I actually dragged my rearend out of bed for a 30 min stationary bike ride this a.m. with 4 x 1 min hard thrown in in the middle.  Felt good.

My dad is back in the hospital.  Spent 2 days in ICU due to kidney issues and was transferred out last evening to an "in between room."  Apparently the nephrologist doesn't think Dad's kidneys aren't failing, but in his current state of mind, he can't remember to drink water.  We're praying that this is what it takes to get somebody to take a serious look at him.  My brother is supposed to be meeting with the doctor this morning, and I hope to be conferenced in somehow. The internist who was the physician for the skilled nursing facility is no longer involved, which I am happy about.  I have nothing against the guy, but not only is he stumped about what's going on, but he's too busy, as well.  Spending a couple of minutes once or twice a week with someone does not tell you anything.  He needs to be closely observed for the course of days for someone to understand what we're talking about.  So we'll see . . . we keep praying for something to happen one way or the other.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mari, happy anniversary.  fatozzig, thinking of you and your father.  I hope things work out well.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and there was a light wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:13 pace.  It was a little hard but I tackled a few more hills than usual and ended up running a little less slow than usual so it's all good.

As ribs pointed out, the eye zap was not a big deal.  There was no discomfort and the only inconvenience was a couple hours of blurry vision in the zapped eye until the drops they put in wore off.  In a few weeks, I'll go back to see if my eye pressure is better.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Hope everyone's enjoying the summer and gearing up for the Perseids.   That slice of moon Jay mentions and dark skies are good!   I always have such high hopes; perhaps it will get me up and out earlier in the am starting tomorrow.  I have been going out later than usual this month, sort of saying I'm tapering, but I'm really just snoozing longer.

tw- *good thoughts*

So 6 instead of 8 this am, albeit at a decent clip for me in the morning.  And I am running Leading Ladies on Sunday.  Going back to visit my SD chums, and I don't mean San Diego.

And Speedsters tonight if we aren't rained out, altho we do run in the rain.  Feels good, actually, right Ribs?  And I was humming along there with you.  Safe trip!

grins,

A

ps: I too, abhor good byes, Dave.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Thank you folks for your good wishes for our anniversary. 30 years has sure gone by so quickly. Next month we are going to Macedonia to celebrate the longevity of our relationship and to visit our son. Last night we had a very nice and romantic dinner, so life is good.

After eating for a crowd, today we decided to run farther than usual. Six steady state pace chasing the Easy Pacer, then 4 miles with 8x800m reps. I felt good!

Back to work now, then to go home to make some marinara sauce from veggies from my garden and tomatoes that was given to me by the neighbor.

Cheers,

Posie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thinking of TW today and also a good outcome for tselbs.

Enke forgets that for some of us here, 11 minutes is no longer so "painfully slow." But glad she can run mid-8s at will!

Happy of course that Mariposai had such a happy anniversary.

Holly, have you had a front-load washer before? Our washer and dryer are headed in the direction of oblivion and we're thinking of what to get next, although we've heard of some issues with front-loaders.

As if I hadn't biked enough recently, rode 34 today with the usual Tuesday group that included a stop at an establishment for burgers and a beer. I will eventually get a run in again, but I see that tomorrow I have a massage scheduled in the AM. Oh well, maybe Thursday...

Go out and run a few for me, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

Next week my travel will take me to Chattanooga, and then a quick drive to Dalton, GA.  I expect to leave the Pennsylvania station at a quarter to four, read a magazine and then I'm in Baltimore, dinner in the diner, nothing could be finer, than to have my ham and eggs in Carolina.   Spareribs

Pardon me boy, is this the Chattanooga choo-choo?

One of my favorite movie scenes is the Glenn Miller version in Sun Valley Serenade.

Marathon Maniac #957

Thinking of TW today and also a good outcome for tselbs.

+1

Roch - our last washer was a front loader, and I didn't have any issues other than the fact that I apparently overloaded it and broke a bracket.

5.5 miles for me today in 70 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I would write about running today, but I did not. I would post shout outs but I am typing this on a cell phone, so I will not. Perhaps the same tomorrow. I think my body may be happy to get another day of rest. But I do not need to decide that now.

Happy running or clothes washing as the case may be. Or maybe that should be comforter washing? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

I've had a front loader for years and will never ever own a top loader again. The water use is a critical factor for us, being on a well and septic with a water softener. And we have two washing machines in our house, ours and the apartment downstairs. I can was a huge load of clothes with something like 20 gallons of water, tops (and yes, we have a water meter on our softener).

Thinking of tomwhite and hoping all is well.

After taking yesterday off, my legs felt pretty darn good today. So I ran hills. Lots of them. I usually don't do hill repeats but tonight decided to do it on the power line trail and then the road leading back to campus (steep part at the end). Went pretty well so glad I did that. 6.1 miles total, with a light rain now and then. (I could've done without the rain, but it was really just sprinkles.)

SteveP

Good luck enlightening the Selectmen, Jay. "The Board of Selectmen" sounds like a fine name for a group of superheros.

Dave59, being antisocial will save a person a lot of money.

Keeping dear old dad in my prayers, Leslie.

SteveP