Masters Running

Tuesday Toodling Along 10/02 (Read 350 times)

I'm starting the weekly daily?  Something must be wrong on the other side of the country!

Way to go TK's doggy nephew!!  (such a cutie, too!)

Cats, sweating/freezing, and achy back and hips all conspired to get me up earlier than I wanted.  Ho hum.  Now it's off for 4 EZ w/striders, then some core/strength training.

TTFN ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Mornin' Leslie, and all who follow.

You sure are up late/early! Sorry you had such a tough night, Leslie. I hope you make it through the day OK, and have a more restful night tonight.

Jay - did you bang up your toes race walking? At least when running barefoot, we we have to watch where we’re stepping all the time so it's almost impossible to stub toes, twist ankles, etc.

Yep - banged up my toes racewalking. It was caused more by banging them against the top of my shoe than stubbing them. How does that happen you ask? It's because racewalkers are heel-strikers, and strive to have their toes up at about a 45-degree angle when they plant their front foot. It's a lot easier to keep your knee straight if you do that. (Stand with one foot about 12-15" further forward than the other, with your weight on the back foot. Is the knee of your forward leg slightly bent? Sure it is. Now, bring the front of that forward foot up about 40-45 degrees. What happens? Your knee straightens, and almost locks. Now you can racewalk!) The problem is that I sometimes lose my concentration and use my toes to ensure that the front foot is up at the right angle, and bang those toes against the top of the shoe in the process. My bad...

I headed out at 4:05 this morning in 55F degrees, and under a 4/5 moon peering through the thin cloud cover. It gave enough light to see, but not to be able to discern colors, so everything was just shades of light and dark. So going down the street was like being in an old B&W movie. Very strange, but wonderful too. I alternated running and walking for my 4.25 miles this morning, and it was a different but very enjoyable workout.

Enjoy your Tuesday.  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Feel better, Leslie and Jay.

A dark and rainy 8-miler this morning. 

Busy but I'm poking in here from time to time to check up on you.

Be safe. Be kind.

I'm BAAAAACK....

Easy 3 miles with T....

Haven't run seriously for the past 3 years...gained a lot of weight in the process....Ran 91 miles in September.

Have already lost over 15 pounds...lots more to go.

Gordon

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Might as well contribute to the West Coast dominance of the morning daily.
            Yay, Lynden.  Loved your daily running reports from up by the border as we usually get the same weather a couple of hours later. No particular reason but any jura sightings?
            Jay - I guess you need the heel cushioning eschewed in running but do your really need the top of the toe box.   Maybe you can start a new line of Free-Toe shoes for race walkers.

ps leslie - nice gumption not turning over and going back to sleep.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Good to hear that Gordon. You're too good a runner to stay out of it for long.  Happy to see this recovery.

Twocat, I hadn't considered the legal issues of that idea. I imagine it must differ state to state.

If you are a Red Sox fan, please raise your hand so I know who to kill. Can you please just win one game?  Please?

Healing thoughts for Jay and Leslie.

An easy 5 on the dirt this morning. Can't wait to get my legs back.  Everything has been so sluggish lately.

Tomorrow I leave for Sioux City.  Don't ask me what the airport code is okay?  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

have you ever been to Singapore?

I think Meg has too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I'm starting the weekly daily?  Something must be wrong on the other side of the country!

....yes, What were you Thinking??

===========

28min poolrun

first PT appt.............after twisting me around into Interesting Positions she said ''you're in pretty good shape''

I said ''PRETTY Good?????''

''well, compared to 20-year old athletes'' she covered.

I think that was a compliment,

next appt tomorrow 

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

another westie chiming in - although I have nothing running related to contribute. Thought about maybe doing a short run last night, but didn't. but I did think about it!  Actually, I spent the evening getting our new home computer up and running. The wireless install guys were out yesterday, so I was doing some set-up things and installing anti-virus stuff, etc. 

But tonight I'll get in a couple miles with each dog. gotta make sure everything feels good post-HM from Saturday.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm BAAAAACK....

YAY!  Welcome back!

Quick post on my lunch - 5 easy-paced miles (ave 10:07) for me this morning in IRT - 56 degrees.  I would have gone longer but I had to run to the high school to bring DS his flashdrive, so not enough time for more.

We saw a very funny movie last night: One for the Money.  Had the whole family rolling.

Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Gordon!  Welcome back! 

TW - glad the PT appointment went well.  Hope she can fix you up!

6 miles this morning in Chatfield State Park.  I had to wear gloves for the first couple of miles till the sun came up, since it was only 45°.  Yesterday I did my first RAL of the season, but today it'll be too warm, so I went out before work. No critter sightings this morning, but two hot air balloons were filling as I finished my run.

Tammy and Starr -  nice racing last weekend! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

If you are a Red Sox fan, please raise your hand so I know who to kill. Can you please just win one game?  Please?

happy VALENTINE's day!!!!!!

Miles accomplished under a star-filled sky, with the almost full moon at my back.  The moon looked like someone had squeezed it a bit too much and pushed it out of shape.  Followed the run up with about 45 min of core/strength training whilst watching "Forrest Gump."  Love that movie, especially the part when Forrest, as a little boy, is running away from the bullies and the braces fall apart and he begins to run freely.  The look on that little boy's face is priceless.

Welcome back, Gordon!!  I was thinking about you last week when I was getting the Weekly Running and X-Training thread going for the week.

As far as the back and hips are concerned, I just gotta get this transcription job done so I'm not sitting for so many hours during the day.  grumble, grumble, moan, moan.  The money is a good. Joking

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I have a number of routes I run on a routine basis.  One is a 3.5 to 4 mile loop that leaves one direction from my house.  I have another out-and-back route (for any number of miles that I want) that goes off the other direction from my house.  I planned this morning to run 7.5 miles or so on the out-and-back.

It's been raining a lot lately and it was drizzling basically the whole time, and it started to rain harder as I approached mile 2.  So I turned around to head back toward home, just in case it really started up hard, I would be somewhat close to home.  But when I was nearly done the rain eased off so i just kept going on my alternate loop.

So 7.6 miles, as I planned, but covering both routes.  Right after I got done the skies opened up and rained hard.  Perfect timing.

I'm seriously considering aborting this Triathlon experiment I've been on.  I just cannot seem to get the swimming in that I desperately need.  Haven't swum at all for nearly a month.  I'm such a morning person I just can't get the energy up to go after work.  And when I do go the pool is overrun with "real" swimmers.

Gotta decide something soon.  I have a "Goal" International-length Triathlon coming up in 6 weeks.  I can certainly do it.  But I don't like to do things halfway.  Not my nature.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

Gordon is back!!!! Working away from the office pretty much all week, which means little time to be here or running. I had a full moon run last nite with 4 "other kids" who came to the house to ask me to tag along with them during their run. The moon was sure bright. Ohhh and I was able to keep up with the young ones Smile))

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard