Masters Running

2's-Day, April 12 Daily .... (Read 502 times)

I am so excited to see all of you coming in to Boston on Saturday!! 

I became reunited with my trusty old friend Garmin today!!  I went out for a nice easy 3.1 miles alternating 4 min jog with 1 min run after starting with a 5 min walk to warm up.  Wish I could say my back issues were gone but I feel at least 70% better and was happy to just be outside today!

Now I have to remain diligent about stretching and core work but also think I am going to pursue an Orthopedic/Spinal consult as suggested by my PT -- just to see if there is anything else I could be doing to make more progress.

((Leslie))

oh - on a fun non-running note ---- a couple weeks ago I had a baby "sprinkle" for my friend having her 3rd baby -- her husband is deployed in Iraq and she has 2 busy little boys so we wanted to do something special for her.  Well things couldnt have been more special when the other night I helped deliver her BEAUTIFUL BABY GIRL with her husband home on leave!!  It truly was one of the best moments ever and I felt so blessed to be part of it!   Welcome baby IsabellaSmile!!

denise

Holly - Rats about the job, but glad you're already out looking again.  Can I come over for dinner?

1 hr of core/strength this a.m., with an hour (maybe) of pool running in my near future.

After phone call after phone call after phone call over two very long days, I finally found a therapist for my husband.  And, blessedly, she's willing to work on a sliding scale.  So long as he's comfortable with her, this will have been two urgent prayers answered.

I cannot express to you enough the strength I have found from you all.  Once again, thank you.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

LOL at Hailey!!!

Hi Daddyo!!

You've been missed Tall. Nice group there. The young lady with must have a heart of gold. Any dogs in you days??

Best Birthday Wishes to Perch's MIL. Wow!!

Love ya Dave59..I hope the little one gets well soon.

Holly, you can use me as a reference if you dare like.

Happy 11th to Enke's son!!

Leslie, you been support for many many of us. Every one is simply trying to return the affection.

DS was over today as was GS. Tag and I showed them this kewl new trail. Noah wanted to run and was really bugging about it. I don't know whose side he gets that from. His parents sent over muck boots that the poor kid can not even walk in with out falling often. He was in the jogger and we were going through some very tight trails. Tag bolted and I called him back. I usually try to find the object of his desires. This time it  was a black bear!!! It's the first one DS had ever seen in the wild. Though Noah didn't say, I expect it was the first one he saw too. None of us were nervous. Tag was wound up, but he went on the leash quick.  As she ambled away, we saw two cubs as well! The cubs were already larger than the dog. Cuter too....shush.. We cut the run short, maybe 50 min. DW Tag and I went out again when she got home from work. DW does not want to take that trail any more though.

SteveP

Mike E. I know this is late and I hate to open "old" wounds but I have no sympathy for RDs that muck up races.  Yes, it is a volunteer job.  But DO NOT VOLUNTEER unless you can do a good job.  Otherwise everybody is worse off. 

vista that is an amazing and wonderful story about the prosthesis.

Daddyo welcome!  Can you send that massage therapist my way?

nonoruns wow only your 7th marathon!  Geez, most people do what about, err let me look, ok, ok I got it -- ZERO!  Be calm and happy you are in great shape for it!  You will have a blast.

Mariposai remember you are supposed to win, not just run that HM!  Big grin

Tallrunner it looks like you have a wonder family in that shot.  I am glad you found somebody wonderful.

Holly S. well the economy is starting to pick up a bit.  I hope something even better comes along for you.

evanflein if you need ideas there is always allrecipes.com.  Also, you might try picking up one of my favorite slow cooker books:Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook.

fatozzig getting a good therapist is very difficult.  I am glad you likely found one.  Best wishes with his recovery.

SteveP my bet is GS though the ear was cool!  Tag is one lucky dog to have not gotten to close that little critter he was after!

Here is my leg update:  I am pretty much hosed for six weeks.  I am in a flexible cast so that I can shower.  But I am relegated to crutches for what will likely be two weeks.  After that the doctor said I can limp around with the cast without them.  No driving, of course, until I can move the foot enough to slam on the breaks.  Doc's estimate:  two weeks for that too.  Sigh. Black eye  Well this kills off the two 10K races I had my eyes on.  On the up side, maybe the rest will do my hamstring some good.  It was OK, but if it got even better I would not complain.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

4 relatively easy miles today - 33:53 (8:28) pushed the last mile today, felt the hip pain in the first mile but it got much better by mile 4. I'll be volunteering on Friday at the expo, I'll be at packet pick up. Hope to see some Boomers there!
            Mike E

MM #5615

Leslie--I continue to pray for you and your DH every day.  It sounds like you're both willing to do whatever it takes to get through this--as long as you both continue to do that--there's no way you won't get through it.

SteveP--you have a pretty lucky GS, I'd say.  What a great GP you are!

Since the DW was at class, tonight, I started the evening at happy hour with "the guys".  Got home and stretched--went for a 15 minute easy bike ride--stretched--did a light upper body weight workout, and finished off with another stretch.

Twocat!!! Cry  

SteveP - I love your stories of your time with your family.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Well this kills off the two 10K races I had my eyes on.  On the up side, maybe the rest will do my hamstring some good.  It was OK, but if it got even better I would not complain.

Twocat, you are priceless! Your positive attitude always inspires me, you always have" the up side" on every situation. This time, I really, really hope that the benefactor of all this is a better hamstring by the end of the six weeks. Rats, I was looking forward to seeing you race again...well... I guess there are plenty of 10k in the fall too.

I was dreaming at going to the gym tonight, but I have a last minute article I had to write for a rural health newsletter that is not even for my state, but I was asked to contribute....ohh well... writing I shall do, I guess.

Leslie, so happy to see that you found a therapist for your DH. I continue to hold you in my butterfly wings.

Welcome baby Isabella. Deez4boyz what a lucky mama to have you as a nurse during her delivery.

Give the Masters boomers hugs for me this weekend. Will you join them?

Perch, happy birthday to your MIL. 100 years. What a blessing!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

HermosaBoy

Got in 8 miles of intervals last night sandwiched around a less than stellar track meet for the kiddoe.

3 mile warm-up

1 mile hard

0.5 recovery

1/2 mile hard

0.5 recovery

0.25 hard

0.6 recovery

1.15 barefoot cool-down including 2 100 yard strides on a local football field.

Not a bad workout, but led to a late night.  Got home, ate, caught up on the DVR and went to bed.  Such an exciting life!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob