Masters Running

Saturday Nov. 22 Runs, etc (Read 678 times)

Intervals with Coach today...just stretching the legs out pace... 200-:37 (4:58) 400-:80 (5:22) 400-:80 (5:22) 400-:81 (5:26) 200-:36 (4:50) plus 5 miles...
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Started out this morning for what was supposed to be a slow 7 miler - 29 degrees and very light wind. Then I thought maybe I could do 9 as I have the time and feel pretty good so far. Well, 9 is just one mile short of 10 and I haven't done a double digit run since the marathon - so I ran 11. Smile Kept it slow the whole time trying to keep my heart rate even. Overall 11:22 average pace and 161 average heart rate. Not hard to go so slow when you are running on ice half the time. I never walked and I wore my hr strap the correct way with a new battery in it. Tomorrow I will wear it upside down. Wink Happy Saturday - GO GREEN!! Smile

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

jdmom, it's nice to hear from you. Keep on posting. Holly, nice pictures of Dexter. I'll be interested in seeing pictures of the new dog. maine, it sounds like a nice family get together for your mother in law's birthday. mari, I probably missed you but my thoughts are with you and your family about your father in law. Good job on the long runs for Peter, Holly, WRFB (progression), and hopeful. Nice speedwork for holly and lynden. This morning I did a 5K race and will get to a report later today or tomorrow. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          No run for me today, but I don't think I posted yesterday's run so I'll take credit for 4 miles. WRFB reminded me that we're 21 weeks out from Boston. That means I have 3 more weeks to be a slug. Mary - I never (and I mean never) run longer than planned. I admire your motivation. Hugs to my friend Mariposai, and very very gentle hugs to Arf too. Today is a nice relaxed Saturday, catching up on chores and errands, and stopping by the nursing home to feed dear-old-dad his lunch. Now I think it's time for a nap. Could someone please make Beer-Dog quit barking at air molecules?

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly...you are the new Dexter.
            (scratching head) I don't get it....my Dexter or Cranium's Dexter? Either you're calling me a dog, or you're saying I'm big and fat..... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, I think he means you are tough....but let's hear it from him! 6 miles Well some runs are just carpy. But I won't complain. Still walking up half of the hills, what's with that? Oh well, it will come back. Maybe tomorrow I will have an unexpected great run. Followed up with 25 min on the bike, which felt fine. Now to take the family swimming. Nice run Mary!!! yes, twocats, 5 miles can seem like a half marathon when you have been off so long.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

A very nice relaxing 6 miler for me on the Goetzinger Memorial Trail. It's my usual running spot and what a gorgeous day for a run it was/is. Around 48F and very light wind. I'd say IRC. But, then, aren't they all? About 1 mile into the run, as I was rounding the barn, I saw a small 6 point buck. He ran across the road in front of me and stopped. I looked at him, he looked at me. I said, "Hey man, what's going on?" I'm quite sure he replied... in a manner I'm not yet able to understand. Then he trotted off. It's almost routine that I see deer in this middle of the town location. But they're always does (not does but does as in plural doe). The bucks are on the move. I guess love is in the air... Each day I run here on the trails I become more receptive to the beauty it offers. Many times someone in this group will end by saying, "Enjoy the gift." Thank you for reminder.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                anachrotech

Hi Guys. Long time between posts, though I still read through yours. Long story short-no motivation to get out of bed early enough during the week to run, major family issues (my side, natch), permanent layoff for hubby (ah, Michigan!), and I still need shoes to replace my NB 1122. If anyone could suggest a MAXIMUM motion control and cushioned shoe, I would be grateful. A slow 2 miles on the treadmill today. That's what I'm averaging per week now. Stinks. Hope everyone had good runs.
                  evanflein

Nice to see Fussyrunner and Anacrotech postings today! Welcome back and don't be strangers, ladies! Anacrotech, life does sometimes get in the way but good job on getting some miles in, however few. I will never look poorly at a low mileage week again because anything is better than a string of zeroes. And on that note, a run is a run, Enke! Good job even if it wasn't stellar. How's the back? Hey Perchcreek, you had a really good "how to" link for pool running in your signature or something when you were recovering from PF. I tried to find it but can't. You can Google "pool running" or "deep water running" and get some good info, but I liked that link you had. Can you repost? I think it would help Tim quite a bit. Tim, Tetsujin also had some good ideas on working on your swimming for a change... Nice intervals, Gordon! Have you done a mile race lately? I wonder what your mile pace would be... Remember DaveinAA? He did a mile race this year and got 4:56 or something close. I was wondering how you'd do on that distance in a race setting... Holly, I'm voting for the tough idea, but I'm not sure I'd like to be compared to the Dexter in Craneium's story... Wink Working on house cleanup for a little bit (small bites is the approach here...) and then taking DS2 and friend to the gym where I will do lots of stuff, but probably not the helliptical.
                      Welcome back Anacrotech...Sorry to hear about the issues...Hoping it gets better for you soon ...but I'm glad you posted again... Erika-Does RTYP mean anything to you?
                      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                      dg.

oooh, Tramps. yes, dial back. my hamstring problems started a year ago & they still aren't gone completely. Ilene, I've meant to say what Tramps said so many times. thanks so much. yay Twocat!!! Sarge... this kind of thing http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WW_Nexcare/FirstAidProducts/Products/FirstAid/WoundCare/ I've had really good luck with. I couldn't say whether it might shift on you while you're running. but i had a deep abrasion on my palm the size of a silver dollar (no, I didn't measure it).. (a fall while running. on dry pavement Blush) heal amazingly well. stopped the pain. there are a lot of variations on the theme available out there. good luck! dickysupergarmin, thanks so much. hugs for Mariposai, PDR & your families. I don't think I posted yesterday.. it went pretty well. 4.2 1 miles, the most on a mid-week run in a while. 9:40 pace.(7:53 max) the usual hr. miles were 10:13, 9:38, 9:29, & 9:18. since I was sore after Thursday, I just did a little more cardio after that.. 17 on the elliptical & 13 on the bike. no weights. I splurged on some new tights today. will try them tomorrow.
                        evanflein

Erika-Does RTYP mean anything to you?
                          Ha! Gordon dear, that's my approach to hill work! As a friend said, I employ the "RTYP, then walk it off" concept to Equinox training. Big grin
                            200 pushups, 200 situps, 30 leg curls, 30 arm curls, 30 lat pulldowns, 30 squats, 50 wrist curls. Dark Horse
                            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                              I'll have to go back later and read everyone's posts. For now, though . . . Did my final long run before my race - 17 miles. Friends Karen and Bill ran w/me today for the first 8.5 miles. They were going to run a little bit longer, but Karen was having bowel issues. Ends up, the nutrition bars she's been eating are full of fiber!! She had to get home quick, and Bill was riding with her. Did my entire 17 miles in 3:22:13 - 11:54 av pace!!! Woo hoo! Can you see me dancin' a jig?? I've said it before, and I'll say it again - you gotta love the down part of hills! A good portion of the last 8.75 miles it spent crawling out of "The Hole," as I call it. Took me 45 minutes to get up to the turn around, and only 20 minutes to get back to the bottom of the hole. I felt really good the entire time. I did not take the S-caps or any shot blocks, and went back to the Endurolytes, and my stomach hardly bothered me. Yes! I think I found the evil combo. Yes Well, gotta go crack crab. One of my attorney clients gave me two crabs. I love crab, but I hate cracking it. Evil grin I think I need a glass of wine to get me through. Have a great weekend!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

One of my attorney clients gave me two crabs.
                                I'm afraid to ask what kind of work you do. Dark Horse
                                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.