Masters Running

Sunday Runs and Stuff..... (Read 447 times)

I made it out this morning, though it was only marginally warmer than predicted (17F vs 11F). But I really needed a  long run and cannot imagine running one on a treadmill. So, 16 hilly miles. I'd whine about the wind but it was at my back for the last 7 miles....what's to complain about?

OM - Come out and run with me! Smile

And I know yesterday was a long day, however, I ran the first 8+ with Karen who is coming back from being down for the count, and it took almost 2 hours to do those miles.  I went back and looked at my miles and was trying to figure out where the pee and food stops were. Big grin

Jim - You're still smiling!  Yea!

Erika - Your speed always amazes me.

Walt's pic stopped me for a second.  Ha!

10 miles this a.m. out on the McKay Tract.  My legs felt pretty heavy the whole time, but I managed a semi-decent pace.  I wore my HR monitor for the first time in forever  and found myself at 80% of max HR most of the time.  That doesn't seem to constitute an "easy" LR run.  The second day isn't suppose to necessarily be about speed as opposed to just getting in the miles, so I kept finding myself having to dial it back some.  What I didn't like is I feel like I sort of weenied out on some of the climbing, which was minor.  Yeah, my legs were tired and my HR was up there, but I should've pushed it a little bit more than I did.  Next time.

Tet and Dove - My buddy, Kate, just found out she got into Cascade Crest in August!  Now I just need to figure out how to finagle more vacation time so I can crew for her . . . Black eye

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good job on the HM, Jim. At least you didn't call it a "half mary" and risk a fine from Ribs!

We finally were able to use our snowshoes yesterday, even if there was barely enough snow. In fact, we were passed by a couple of runners just wearing their normal sneakers! But it was enough to get the flavor of it, and to find that it's a bit more of a workout than expected -- sort of like slogging thru sand the way you have to pick up your feet and shuffle along.

Today it was the TM for a short session at the rec center. While I was there, a female student went on an adjacent TM and started running about as fast as I've ever seen someone go on one of those things. I'd be scared of stumbling and getting shot off the back like a rocket! Pays to be that young, I guess.

I see a lot of good LRs were logged today. I'm feeling a bit like a slacker lately, so maybe I'll do another TM run tomorrow and try to stick with it a bit longer.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet and Dove - My buddy, Kate, just found out she got into Cascade Crest in August!  Now I just need to figure out how to finagle more vacation time so I can crew for her . . . Black eye

OMG leslie. you might as well have said that Ultra-kate's going to bungee jump off the Empire State Building with you going tandem. 

I know it wouldn't do any good to try to talk Ultra-Kate out of it so, I guess, congratulations to her lottery selection for this year's Cascade Crest 100 Mile Mountain Race. However, by all means do whatever you can to come up with Ultra-Kate.  I know a number of otherwise exceptional ultra-marathon runners who are back again after untimely, noctural DNF’s last year.
          The trail’s supposed to be pretty good but, though she’s probably done tougher, more technical runs, the 25-page runner’s manual describes 20,000-plus feet of steep climbing (and equivalent dangerous descents), often mere steps away from thousand foot sheer cliffs straight down to the valley floor.
          Also, it’s almost impossible to see where you’re going at night on the steep descents. I would almost recommend a big battery halogen such as cyclists use nowdays.  It might even be worthwhile for whomever’s going to be with her in the evening to do a couple of practice runs from 10pm - 6am somewhere (doesn’t have to be trail) just to be sure both can handle sleep-deprived running so they can do it in the middle of the night up where a mistep or disagreement could be real bad. 
          Let me know if it works out though, maybe I can join you for the last seventy or eighty miles, . . . or last one mile might be better. Smile 

=======================================================
          CASCADE CREST 100-MILE RUNNER’S MANUAL (excerpts)

1. Retain your sense of humor. You paid to do this. This event can be difficult, painful, emotional and frustrating at times. Don't forget that it is also voluntary. If you are miserable out there (and most of us are at some point) slow down and eat. That will probably fix your attitude. If it doesn’t, get stoic and force a smile on your face or else call it a day. Treat volunteers, crew, pacers, friends and family with thanks and respect no matter how tired, sore and grumpy you might be. If you use crew support, please remember that there is no such thing as a crew mistake, only bad instructions from you, the runner. If you get frustrated at your crew, we suggest you take some of the stress out of your life and theirs and run solo.

2.  Don't litter on the course. . . . .  Trash karma is a real phenomenon. The only runner known to have fallen into Kachess Lake off of the Trail From Hell dropped a GU packet on the ground just before plummeting into the water. Don’t let this happen to you..

Mt Rainier from Thorp Mt......Race Logo 

Mt. Rainier from Mt. Thorpe  / Cascade Crest Trail 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Wow, what a course! Beautiful photos, Tet. And I love the littering Karma... That Kate sure likes to tackle the tough ones. 

15.2 miles for me, 8:33 avg pace but I'll admit to stopping a few times. The temps were aroung 25° which should've been fine, but I got so chilled cuz I got sweaty the first half, then the sun was going down and the temps dropped towards the end. My hands were sooo cold! Face got cold too but I stuck with it and managed to make it to the student rec center where DH was doing his workout, and I'd left my stuff there. I'm glad that 30+ minute hot shower was on someone else's tab... thought I'd never warm up. But, glad to have that done, 46.5 miles for the week and I think I'll do a little less next week. 

Marathon Maniac #957

Skiing is an expensive sport,  but is manageable if you look for discount lift tickets.    Yesterday I skied at a local area called Eldora, and I got 4 lift tickets for $32 each through an on-line deal.

Yes, but even with semi-reasonablly priced lift tickets ($45 at Perfect North), when you take into account rentals plus lift tickets for four people it still comes out to nearly $300 - quite a stretch for us for a day's entertainment.

Erika - super speedy in spite of the winter conditions, as usual!

Tet - stunning photos!  Is there a trail up that mountain somewhere though?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Geese free runs rock!

Very cool hike TomS

So here it is the next day, I feel great! No aches or pains to speak of. I'm already scouring the internet looking for my next 1/2!

He's taking the bait....wait for it..... wait for it........

The $$ is the biggest reason I like running. All you need is a pair of shoes. Right Tet?

I agree that those who put long distances on treadmills are a special breed.

Glad you got to use the snow shoes Roch!

Love the pictures Tet!!

SteveP

Geese free runs rock!

...this is so true......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....