Masters Running

Mondaily, 9.25.23 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Sorry, but I've got no time for a recap this morning. We were up late at a Stanley Jordan concert in Portsmouth last night, after having snagged last-minute tickets in the morning. He has a very unique style of playing the guitar, called 'tapping'. He doesn't strum or finger pick as most guitarists do, but rather taps the strings among the frets with both hands so he is creating sound with both hands vs. using his left hand to create the notes on the frets and his right hand to strum/finger pick. At one point, he played the guitar with one hand, the piano with the other, and sang at the same time - how does someone do that??

I got to bed an hour and a half late last night, and didn't sleep well. I was out the door at 4:45 this morning, and couldn't muster any mojo to get even a modicum of speed in my workout - could be a lack of sleep? Regardless, I still got in 3.85 miles in overcast 57° temps, followed by 35 minutes of stretching and core work. I hope to/need to find time for a quick nap today.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Thanks for the start Jay.

DW and I are also in Portsmouth but in NH and only overnight. Were on trip to Maine. I got out of the hotel for a run around 7:17 AM. I ran a very convoluted 5+ mile route hear hotel. Temps were about 55F and overcast so I was still able to terrorize the community by running sans shirt. 😂

We're sight seeing a little this morning then heading to Maine.

Later.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Dave59

4.11 around Wilderness Valley this morning. One other guy runs around here and I saw him today. We stopped and talked for a few minutes.

The things I like about our place in Michigan, the darkness and the silence, are also the things that keep me from running before it gets light out. I don't want to startle a bear, skunk, or porcupine. I brought a headlamp with me but it is just easier to wait for light. As it was I was startled by a noise this morning that was just a chipmuck jumping through some leaves to my right. 

Thanks, Jay, and lack of sleep will mess with your speed and endurance.   Tammy and Leslie- what a great run and report.  Love the pictures.  Very cool meet up.

5.7 miles from the house on one of my harder courses.  Ugh.  63 degrees and humid- got it done.  It was pretty nice, really.

It's going to be sort of a nightmare day-  carpet cleaning which means we have to move all kinds of stuff out of the way- including shoes in my closet.  Solar panel people just got here to take the panels off the roof so the roof can be replaced in a couple of days.  Not a fun thing.  And some other service person is coming- I forget what that is.

Catch y'all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It's going to be sort of a nightmare day-  carpet cleaning which means we have to move all kinds of stuff out of the way- including shoes in my closet.  Solar panel people just got here to take the panels off the roof so the roof can be replaced in a couple of days.  Not a fun thing.  And some other service person is coming- I forget what that is. 

Note to self: archive in case you ever get reminiscent about not having to take care of a house, yard, etc. anymore

Twocat - sorry about your 4/27 AG (NOT) and signed baseballs (NOT).

Actually, I had so many things that it would have been fun to add to the desks, bookshelves and other furniture we got rid of through Craig's List but, since I'd just go spend the money on other things that would need to be put on Craig's List in the future (or my son would have to for me if I can't), it was fun donating them like you did knowing that they'll make someone happier than money could make me.

Dave - you would have liked the two summers I got to spend in a prospector's tent (1963) and trapper's cabin (1964) along the Yukon River with a supply float plane every two weeks and the Arctic Circle keeping it from ever getting dark.  Though I know they're nonexistent, . . . I hope, the main thing I always thought I was hearing in the all night ultras I used to be able to do here in the PNW was Sasquatch Bigfoots coming after me.

ps - for Steve's camping sake, I hope they don't have any in Michigan.

pps - do they have any wolverines in Michigan anymore?

Took a ten blocker in the steady drizzle that started yesterday and's brought down leaves all over the place just like it's fall to go down the street to the bottom of the dale between the Second Hill we're on on the way to the lake and the First aka "Pill" Hill above the city to a nearby pub I've never been to but which is venuing for an alumni get-together gathering tomorrow evening I haven't been able to get to for two or three years or more because they've heretofore always been on the other side of the city.

In the meantime, on yesterday's way to Ikea at a little after 9:00 am to get the 15+ miles there by 9:30 or so to ensure a chance at one of the three EV chargers they have for regular cars (vs. 16 in a special lot for Teslas and vs only two in Mariposai's entire county) before their 10:00 am opening as the 30 mile full charge on our aging Volt would probably not get us back, though we knew the way out there by heart, I checked Google Maps to see if my way was still faster (and, of course, keep to myself in deference to DW's preferred way on I-5 I don't like) and found out they open at 9:30 on weekends so, not wanting to take a chance they were all already being used, went back to the apt to watch the morning highlight of the final day of the September Grand Sumo tournament instead of having to wait until the afternoon repeat.

With five rikishi holding 11-4 records after 14 days, though I've been watching since exchange student days in the sixties as a way to learn the Japanese language and culture, it was one of the best I can remember but, sorry to say, so exciting in so many ways that it would make too long a post I tried to render them all down to writing.  In fact, the Japanese announcers and fan base were elated that the winner was a Japanese rikishi who now has a good chance of attaining the highest sumo rank of yokozuna for the November tournament to join the only other current yokozuna who came over from Mongolia to work his way up through the ranks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet, other than the ones who hang out in Ann Arbor, I've read somewhere that they don't believe there ever were wolverines in the state...

We've got a crew here today refinishing our garage floor with some sort of product that will be ready for us to drive on and whatever by tomorrow. We had an epoxy coating put on years ago that was starting to chip and spall pretty badly. This looks to be a superior product and will last at least as long as we're likely to still be living here!

But all our work yesterday to clear the garage in preparation for today really kicked our butts. Yeah, we're still feeling the after-effects of Covid even though there are no more symptoms other than congestion. To play it safe, I'll still avoid being out around other people until at least the weekend.

One thing this has done -- and even this just might be the illness-recovery blues -- is to make me feel actually OLD for the first time. It's hubris I'm sure, but I've always assumed that since I'm in better condition than most others my age that it exempts me from the various health cautions that mention "seniors" or "the elderly". Well, apparently not, and I don't like it! Maybe I should take pointers from Henry about aging gracefully.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

We've got a crew here today refinishing our garage floor with some sort of product that will be ready for us to drive on and whatever by tomorrow. We had an epoxy coating put on years ago that was starting to chip and spall pretty badly. This looks to be a superior product and will last at least as long as we're likely to still be living here!

Doug - thanks for the additioal validation for the moving i really didn't want to do at first.

ps - welcome to the finally-accepting-you're-old club. Deep down. I know it's me too, for sure, but, at least until my knee replacement, I'm blaming anything about old on my knee, not me.

pps - i was lucky to have has two wolverine encounters in Alaska days that were over so fast I couldn't have taken a picture on time even if I'd've had my old  Nikon F ready but, kind d of like not needing to go revisit a fantastic destination a second time such as your Pzris and my Sun Valley, the images in my mind, along with the sounds and forest smells that were going on  are embedded in my memory bank just like yesterday.

ppps - speaking of forest, the forest greens in Tammy's pic of her 20.1 mile run with Leslie (and the elk) are beautiful, especially made even more so by the last, third, one. No wonder trail running is such a joy even to the longer the better. Have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

One thing this has done -- and even this just might be the illness-recovery blues -- is to make me feel actually OLD for the first time. It's hubris I'm sure, but I've always assumed that since I'm in better condition than most others my age that it exempts me from the various health cautions that mention "seniors" or "the elderly". Well, apparently not, and I don't like it! Maybe I should take pointers from Henry about aging gracefully.

Roch- I’m not sure I’m aging gracefully. I’ve given up a lot that I love, like cycling, running distances,etc. But I keep finding other fulfilling activities like poetry and writing and more travel. I’m fortunate to have a wonderful support system in my family and unlimited love. But as Dylan Thomas once wrote “ I will not go gently into the night. I will rage at the darkness.”

Not much exercise today as we observe Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement at services off and on till sunset.

Amen henry//..........Roch, just work-out with what you got that day..........

==========

and

what I had today-

mid 70s, mild breeze

....50-min at city park,,,,,,,,,,,trailboots

bit

of a ''stone bruise'' sensation in my heel>>>>>>>>Try it again tomorrow

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Exciting end of the Packers game yesterday, and Seattle pulled out a win too.

Went out for a 3 mile walk with a couple short jogs thrown in. The rain was very light to not really there at times, until shortly after I got home, when it started to pour. I always have the TM, but it has to be pretty nasty out there before I will get on it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks for the start Jay.

DW and I are also in Portsmouth but in NH and only overnight. Were on trip to Maine. 

Pretty sure that's where Jay was as well - Portsmouth is not very far from Hampton, NH 

And, where in Maine are you heading?? I'll be in Old Orchard Beach this weekend and then to Portland to spectate at the marathon for my son Nicholas and a friend in my running group!!

Power Zone 45 min endurance class followed by an extra 10 low impact class  then three 10 minute classes upper body core and focus flow yoga for runners (stretching)

Have another pot of veggie soup on the stove - different vegetables than last week using cabbage and baby bok choy 

denise

SRD for me.

It started pouring about 3 seconds after I walked into my office this morning and it hasn't stopped.  Radar shows that it's headed pretty far inland, which is great for all the fires, but oof! I'm guessing there's going to be some significant slides to contend with.  I might get lucky and have a dry predawn run in the a.m.  We'll see . . .

Okay, back to the grindstone . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

anneb

Hi, Masters. Happy Monday! Quick flyby for me.

About 3 miles run/walk for me early... and then by the time I got downtown it was raining. It was short lived though.

Jlynne - that was an exciting end to the Packer game. I saw the score at half time (briefly), and then the last few minutes.

Leslie/Tammy - great pics from your long run. Beautiful.

Anne

Marathon Maniac #957

The things I like about our place in Michigan, the darkness and the silence

I think I would find it pretty scary.  But then, I've been living with DH for 28 years, and only apart a few days.  I mean that literelly, we have probably spent only 5-6 nights apart.  I think living in an empty house would freak me out

Weights and core for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings all!

DW, DS, and me are in Maine and we have the honor of doing the boathouse empty.  It's over a hundred years old and we have a general contractor in to straighten it out .  Hopefully for another 100 years    Wish us (loads of) luck.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.