Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 5.22.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

WOW! PBJ and Craneium on the same day! Welcome back, guys! Keep up the good work, PBJ, and good luck in the M to M. Very cool that the kids are running and working so well together, Craneium. Sorry about the tender tendon - take it easy, OK?

Thanks for the tri classifications, Tet. I didn't know there was a Super Sprint or a Double I.

Good for you for keeping an eye on the park project, Ribs, and for telling them what they should/shouldn't do. Now you have to stay on top of it to make sure they were paying attention.

Aamos, you had a 20-mile day that "just happened?" Wow! I did relax and have fun Tuesday night! And, yeah, I do like doing most of this stuff. If I didn't get out quickly in the morning, I may not get out at all: I have a relatively short window in which to do my routes, stretch, shower, and get the coffee going before I have to wake up DW. It's tough being someone's alarm clock! 

I hope Leslie had a great trip and doesn't get lost...

There's a lot of weather talk these days. I wonder which way the wind blows?

I had a hugely busy day yesterday, finished off by helping neighbors cut down nasty, invasive Japanese Knotweed in the meadow by the pond across the way, and then making dinner for DW and I (our nephew, who is still here, makes his own dinner, by mutual agreement, because he eats different stuff - long story). I was short a bunch of hours of sleep from the past few nights. Today was my last chance to ketchup for a while so I did by going back for some more zzz's after feeding DearCat at JJ o'clock. DW and I are going to the favorite dive for breakfast this morning, then to the office to load our cars to the gills, then to Boston to unload and set up for this weekend's trade conference. It's all good stuff - there's just a lot of it!

I'll probably be off-line till at least Sunday, so have a greta Thursday and weekend! Good luck and have a ton of fun to anyone who is racing this weekend, even if it may be in Buffalo (I wonder what the weather's going to be like there?).

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning!!  Safe travels, Jay.  Have fun at the conference.

Cats woke me up at 3:30, and since I wasn't sleeping all that well, anyway, I just stayed up.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

I  hope Leslie and Tammy have a nice visit.   And HI to PBJ and Craneium!

Looks like a busy racing weekend!  Who else is racing?   (I think  there's  fine for not putting your races on Ilene's intrepid thread, isn't there?)  Wishing you all fleet feet and cool weather!  Or hot weather if that's what you like (Aamos!) but that's just wrong...

5/23-25 tetsujin - Pigtails 100 or 150 mile Challenge (thongs)

05/23 runnerclay -Rogue Yeti Run 12 Hour Dawn to Dusk, Whitesburg GA

05/25 IBleedUnionBlue - Buffalo Marathon, Buffalo, NY

05/25 CNYrunner - Edinburgh half-marathon, Edinburgh, Scotland

05/25 Mike E - Buffalo Marathon, Buffalo, NY

05/25 Dave59 - Buffalo Half Marathon, Buffalo, NY

05/25 coastwalker - Runner's Alley/Red Hook 5K, Portsmouth,, NH (competitive walking div.)

05/25 Rondog65 - Boston's Run to Remember Half Marathon, Boston, MA

05/26 Fatozzig - Trail Factor 50k, Forest Park, Portland, OR (the end of a 3-day, 70-mile weekend of fun)

05/26 Ileneforward - Ileneforward - Laguna Hills Half Marathon, CA

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sayhey! MM#130

Jay, glad you enjoyed your birthday.  Yes, I guess miles are to me what good deeds and meetings are for you, and I know which is of more benefit to humankind and the planet, with a tip o' the cap to you, sir!

dive, Spectacular plan!  If you keep a journal about your adventures and the characters you are sure to meet, I bet you could publish a book that might supplement the rest of retirement! 

As Nancy observed about Buffalo, perfect weather for a PR, not to put too much pressure on you, Mike

Leslie, your enthusiasm is contagious; I'm sporting a big grin just thinking of you and your weekend.  Here's hoping it's all you want and 84x more on top of that.  You deserve a greta time!

Made some really good enchiladas last night; I think it was the better brand of corn tortillas and the fresh mozarella (I'm Italian; my substitution for queso.)

Endurance drink offer: Tailwind, a powdered formula geared to runners, cyclists, distance athletes, is offering to reimburse your entrance fee at an event (up to $150) if you try their product and don't like it. ("If you don't love it, we'll pay your entry fee" is the quote.   I learned about it at the Keys 100 and stumbled on this offer when I researched the product.  No, I get nothing for telling you; just passing along the info.

Tailwind Challenge

So DH messaged me yesterday that his race/walk buddy wanted to do a fun run/walk after work last night, did I want to come.  Well, yes.  So with the warm up and the run, I ended up with 10 yesterday.  This morning, my 6 were peppier than yesterday morning's, so I think I was still warmed up from last night.  (Fun runs are always faster than usual, FUNny about that!)

I'll be here tomorrow, or that's the plan.  I'm just doing a 5K (on a golf course: "A Run on the Green" )  Monday....must remember packet pickup Saturday.....

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Endurance drink offer: Tailwind, a powdered formula geared to runners, cyclists, distance athletes, is offering to reimburse your entrance fee at an event (up to $150) if you try their product and don't like it. ("If you don't love it, we'll pay your entry fee" is the quote.   I learned about it at the Keys 100 and stumbled on this offer when I researched the product.  No, I get nothing for telling you; just passing along the info.

Tailwind Challenge

They're getting a lot of exposure in the ultra world. It was used at the Thomas Jefferson 100k in March (RD - Andy Jones-Wilkins, a world-class ultra runner) and the runners raved about it.

. . . . is it noon yet???  Can I leave yet????  What's the weather???? Where's MikeE????

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dave59

5.62 miles this morning for me.

Cut the grass for the first time this season last night.  Don't know if that is new record for latest first cut since moving to Michigan but it must be close.

TammyinGP

Safe travels to my house, Leslie!    I plan on leaving work around 4ish so you might arrive at my house before I do. I made up a pan of lasagna (with homemade noodles even!) last night so I hope that is okay with your pre-ultra meal plan.

We leave tomorrow a.m. also (after Leslie though) for Corvallis for David's state meet in the 3000m. His goal is 9:43, as that will be the new 8th grade school record. He needs to just stay focused on his pace that he needs to break that record and not get caught up with a couple of the guys that are faster than that. That's what he tried to do at Districts and he faded his last couple laps.

Tammy

I haven't had lasagna in a long time.  Yum!!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

leslie - with the running I was going to do this weekend to make up for not doing it well enough to make the cutoff last year now being deferred until next year, maybe you can dedicate a mile of two to me of some of the descents (if any) along the CCC course sections you'll be covering tomorrow (Cascade Crest Classic 100-mile).  .

Incidentally, why CCC? is anyone doing it in August?

I'm glad Kate knows the CCC route from aleady running all 100 miles but,

since they both start at EAston, don't mix CCC up with the much easier rails-to-trails 20th Century 100K there in 2007.

Have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning!!  Safe travels, Jay.  Have fun at the conference.

+1

You have a great weekend, too, Leslie!

7.2 miles for me this morning in 61 degrees, watching the baby geese in the river.  Boy do they grow fast!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Have a great time, Leslie!

I'm beginning to think that some of you guys really don't care about the weather for the Buffalo Marathon.  So I guess I won't tell you that it's supposed to be 55o and sunny with a 7 mph SW wind...and only a 2% chance of rain.

I just received an email from the people at the marathon saying that, for the first time, they will have a tracking device for people to follow the runners' progress.  I think I might bring my cell phone with me so I can keep track of how I'm doing.

Okay--lunch is over--gotta go.

Oh--speaking of going--Go David!  Break that record!

TammyinGP

thanks for the well wishes for David. I won't be online til probably Saturday sometime to post how he did.  but I think you'll be busy in Buffalo enjoying the nice weather anyways 

Tammy

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Mike - the LA marathon was 85 and sunny for the second half (March 9th).  I don't worry about things I can't control.

M to M - flat, hot and corny.  Sounds like someone I used to date.

Last night - interval redux.  I actually was able to do the 4 x 1 mile at 7:30.  Did a fifth one just because I could.  Funny how I used to be able to maintain that pace for an hour a few years ago.  Now it's "speedwork."

Spinnerooni tonight.  I love spin class.

Why the CCC?  Something different.  I don't think Karen's every run it, and obviously I haven't.  . . . . maybe it's their veiled attempt to kill me before Monday.  Hmmmm . . . .

And yes, Tet, I will definitely dedicate miles to you! 

PBJ - *snork*

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

M to M - flat, hot and corny.  Sounds like someone I used to date.

I sure hope that's not a reference to Long Suffering.... poor woman needs no more evidence behind that name.

Have fun, Leslie! Homemade lasagna noodles... yum. Worth the trip right there!

Good luck to David, Tammy! I love his clear-cut goals.

Nancy, foot is fine. I'm sure it was a bruise/inflammation from erroneous shoe-tying earlier in the week last week. No problems now.

Not much here... ran a 7.5 mile tempo run on Tuesday, 5.4 mostly easy effort yesterday. Run home from work day, today. Taking tomorrow off work to catch up on life, and give myself a 4-day weekend.