Masters Running

April 16 - 4 more days!! (Read 44 times)

Hi friends -- yes 4 more days to Boston!!  So excited for everyone running and to be volunteering again at the start line!

No running today but put in 90 minutes on a spin bike this morning!!  Felt great after my 16 hour work shift yesterday!

Happy Day AFTER your Birthday Amy!!

Looking forward to seeing some of you at Robin's on Sunday!!

denise

Dave59

I was up early and ran 6 miles on the trails at City Forest Park.  Starbucks afterwards (since we start and end in the Starbucks parking lot.)  7 people showed up today for the run.  Last week I was by myself in a light rain.

coastwalker

Hi to Denise, Marj and the rest of the crew.

Nice 'spin' on things this morning, Denise. I'm glad you got the kinks out after your 16-hr. shift. Where will you be working at the start on Monday? I'll be at one of the corrals, so I'll look for you before things get rolling.

Thanks for the links, Marj.

Edited to add: Hi Dave! Nice 6er for the 7 of you this morning.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AAMOS! I hope you had a greta day, and continue the celebration through the weekend!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BC!!

I'm glad Tselbes and family are having a great time in Italy, despite the closed fountain and the pickpocket experience.

Leslie, yes, those friction massages can be amazingly painful, but also amazingly helpful. I went to a woman once who would apply that friction for a few counts, then ice the area, then more friction, then more ice, etc. Trying to stay relaxed during that process was a bit of a challenge...

I did more yard work when I got home from office work yesterday (still working around the bits of remaining snow), and got a few more beds cleaned out, a few thousand more leaves cleaned up, and a few hundred pine cones in a bucket to use a fire starters next winter. By the time bed time rolled around last night, I was ready. I got up at 4 this morning, fed the cat, and crawled back in bed for another 90 minutes of dozing/sleeping. I guess I needed some extra sleep.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

thanks, Marj--just what I need.  more stuff to distract me at work.   But then, you don't need to worry about that, do you?

Also looking forward to the RA meetups over the weekend.  The heathens in NH don't take Patriots day off, so I'm taking a vacation day to go watch.  Up for suggestions as to where to do so.

A much more satisfactory run this morning.  Still not fast, but not even tempted to walk like the last one.  3.8 miles in 35°F and no wind or humidity.  25° cooler than Tuesday.  might have had a little to do with it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning good people! Interesting articles, Marj. I was surprised to read that Kentucky was one of the states with the fastest runners. I never would have guessed that - maybe only 4-legged runners

Happy belated birthday Aamos! Hope it was a good one. And happy birthday Blazin Cajun!

How many babies in that 16 hour shift yesterday, Deez?

Thanks for the recap, Jay. Sounds like you had quite the workout in your yard yesterday. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss the spring clean-up cleaning out flower beds, raking, etc. Just looking for signs of new life in the garden. We still have no driveway, which means no lawn or beds. We don't even have a front porch yet! I sigh every time I look at all of the piles of dirt in our yard, and I'm sure our neighbors are hoping that the weather warms up so we're not the eyesore on the block any more.

Like Dave, I ran 6 this morning, but I had Dunkin' Donuts coffee at home instead of Starbucks

Getting excited for all of our Boston runners, and hope that the weather next Monday is as nice as it is here this morning. Clear blue skies, bright sunshine and perfect 40° temp. Have a great Thursday everyone!

BlazinCajun

Good morning Denise, Marj, Jay, and Stumpy.

I'm glad I was not the only one (Dave and Jlynne) to hit one of those coffee/donut places this morning after a run.

My wife asked me yesterday what I was going to do on my birthday. I told her that I wanted to go for a 10 mile muddy run this morning in the misty 52 degree weather. Nice way to start the day. Took the day off to do my own thing - wondering if retirement is like that? I'm still a whipper snapper so I wouldn't know.

Have a great day!

Andrew
              ------------------
              God, my Lord, is my strength;
              he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
              and enables me to go upon the heights.
              Hb 3:19

Marathon Maniac #957

How many babies in that 16 hour shift yesterday, Deez?

I was wondering that as well....

Happy Birthday Cajun!

I just found out that my two local running friends who had talked me into running the Carmel Marathon are now both injured and will not be running it after all.  I was pretty bummed, thinking our fun girl's weekend would be just lonely old me, hanging out in a hotel room and running a terribly out of shape race by myself and then driving home - kind of a lot of money to spend for that.  However, my friend Renee said she would still come along and keep me company, bless her heart.  She is a wonderful friend.

No run for me today, just 15 minutes of core work and stretching.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning, All ~

Happy Birthday, Blazin!

Speaking of babies - Deez, would early September maybe your busiest time of the year??   An old co-worker of mine, all three of his kids were born in early September.  Uh huh.  Too much New Years celebration.

Jay - The position I have lay in for the PT to do the friction massage is not exactly in his best interest in that the knee of the leg being worked on is pretty dang close to his manhood.  I almost asked him if he was wearing a cup.

I was supposed to get up and do 30 min on the bike this morning, along with core/ST.  I turned off the alarm and rolled over for another 2 hrs.  Not exactly the best way to maintain my fitness.

Have a great day ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Jay, yes we are cookin', but it will take a while to get used to this newer-style stove. First off, it has one of those cooking grates that covers the whole top of the stove instead of the individual burner grates. Then, the front burners are so big that they're almost too big for most of our cookware -- you don't want flames coming up around the sides. Tonight I'm on deck for dinner so will get my first real shot at learning new tricks.

TomS -- Have a great time over there! I really love Italy even though it's the only place I've ever had my pocket picked -- on the first day of our vacation, no less! Fortunately we only ended up out some cash, but were pretty shook up for a while. The credit card company overnighted a replacement card and my wife always carries a card from a different account on out trips. We are scheduled for a trip there at the end of September to do the Rome-Florence-Venice trio. I also totally understand your getting lost in those confusing streets!

Went to the rec center and swam this morning, but I started off there by running a mile at a slow pace on the treadmill. Everything seems OK (will know better tomorrow) so now I'm thinking of any easy run Saturday morning.

Have a good one, everybody, and keep an eye on your wallets (if it isn't a pickpocket, it's the IRS).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

Hi Ya All !!!

I have the day off. Just enough time for a quick hello.

Dropped DW off at the airport. She and our niece are heading to Houston to meet up with her brother who is down there for an extended stay for his company. I'm sure they are going to have a great time.

I also have Monday off and am looking forward to watching the Boston Marathon...good luck RA Masters!!

busy busy busy...I've taken on too much. In the end I hope it's all worth it.

BlazinCajun happy birthday!

I went off for 14 miles this morning.  Just trudged through it.  Not sure why.  Long day for me at the office today.  I agreed to give a talk to an undergraduate investment group this evening.  My guess is they will not like what I have to say.  What they want to hear is "do this really simple trade and you will be rich in a few months."  What they are going to hear is "Most active managers under perform their index.  What makes you think you will do better with 1% of their resources and time?"  I guess this is why I would never make it on TV!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Happy Birthday wishes to Amy and Blazin'

I bet Deez will be really busy in November given how February went along in New England---lots of indoor time and the need to stay warm. Just saying.

Four miles for me this morning at 6:30 am with 6 x striders in there ....pop coming back to the ole legs.

Good deal on having Renee with you Holly. That's awesome.

Nice 14 miler Twocat!

Leslie, sleep is a part of training and your body restores itself while you sleep....all good.

Thanks for the good weather wishes Jlynne--looks like cloudy, cool and rain later in the day may be on tap, but that's about perfect I'd say---hope it holds---still too early.

Sayhey! MM#130

Sayhey Holly, no worries about June--we Michiganders are going to be ubiquitous!  You'll be wishing we would leave you alone .

Steve, those tree poachers make me mad.  I am fond of trees; indeed, when I was in Reston, we took a little drive back to where Leslie and Dan had lived and checked on the various trees they'd planted.  O, and gee whiz, just leave out the lunkhead part and I'm sure myboy Tag will get the message. Um, or have ice cream available as much as possible (maybe a thermal pouch you could hook on your own water bottle...)

Thanks for the cake, Mari!  girl howdy, can't wait to see you!  And Deez and y'all.

Leslie, so funny, I remember noticing all the kids in elementary school with September birthdays and asking my mom about it.  I don't recall the explanation as being convincing, or at least, I don't remember it at all.

Dave, don't you get free treats at SB on Thursday?   We live vicariously here; whatja get today?

Happy Bday, fellow Aries BC!

My two friends here running Boston for the first time are so so so ramped up; they've changed their FB photos to BAA emblems, they post about it several times a day; they are getting me up!

Karin, are you handing out bibs or anything over the weekend?

And now for the weather reports y'all can enjoy--6 miles for me in 73 degree with...wait for it...93% humidity.  And that's just for starters, wait'l  July!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

Dave, don't you get free treats at SB on Thursday?   We live vicariously here; whatja get today?

Nothing today, but we were promised a sneak peek next week of a drink coming out soon (couple weeks maybe). I think she said it was a S'mores Cappuccino but don't hold me to that.  Milk chocolate on the bottom, whipped cream, some type graham cracker flavored something.  I guess I should have paid better attention.  It sounded like a lot of layers and I tuned out.  Too many details give me headaches.