Masters Running

Friday December 23 Runs and Recipes (Read 486 times)

Slo - nice Surley

I wimped out and ran inside.  I further wimped out and only did 8.  At least I ran the last mile fast (6:05).  Almost a PBJ Special.

I've got to get my sleeping back on track.  Where's my mojo???

Skip

wildchild

Carolyn

5 miles on a beautiful snowy afternoon, with my best furry running buds.  I wanted to run further but my sister was pulling in my driveway just as I got home.  I was going to drop the dogs off and go back out, but thought that might be rude with company here. Joking

Skip, sorry about the lost mojo.  I'll send you some for Christmas. Smile

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Some nice-looking recipes here today!  Thanks for the ideas!

My short shopping trip turned into 4.5 hours, and by the time I got home at 12:30, it was getting crazy out there.  I ended up buying a Kindle Fire as a last -minute "family" gift.  I knew DH wanted something to web-surf with while sitting at work sometimes, and this can play movies, too.  (Would that I had a job where I sat around for hours at a time getting paid to do nothing,lol), but anyway this seems to do something for everyone in the family, and I believe our library lets you download books directly to the kindle.  Should be fun figuring it out.

Of course I didnt' get away without several frantic calls from the office while I was trying to grocery shop and ended up sitting in the parking lot for 20 minutes trying to handle an "issue."  I'm having work-related stress dreams every night the last couple weeks, and could really use some down time.

LR scheduled for tomorrow morning, but I'm sitting here sampling some homemade kahlua my DH got as a Christmas gift and am in the mood for some holiday cheer, so I prolly won't have a run of any realy quality, but maybe some calorie burn.

Off to watch Super 8 with the family.  Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OM - The roll-ups don't utilize the stability ball, just the tucks.  And yes, the more leg momentum you can generate, the easier it is to get up.  Also, hold a weight out in front of you (obviously your legs won't go back as far), and it helps to pull you up.  I use an 8-pounder.  Also obviously, I don't get my legs into my armpits like she does.  I'd probably get stuck.

If you want another tough but effective core workout, do Turkish Get-Ups.  Most of the videos have you use kettle bells, but I don't have any, so I just use my dumbbells.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm having work-related stress dreams every night the last couple weeks, and could really use some down time.

oh holly.  I wish you, . . . and everyone else, . . . could come over with me sometime for all the non-fattening foods, onsen hot springs, and other detressers the Japanese seem to have perfected.  In fact, I'm getting to go over again next month, . . . . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I went out to a trail I haven't visited in about 10 years.  I think I mountain biked it once.  Anyway, lots of elevation, first 300 ft climb in about 0.7 miles which I walked most of, then down for 500 ft, then back up to where I started, which also had some walking in it.  5 miles.  Felt like a nice little accomplishment, my calf mostly behaved and everything else felt great.

One last trip to the store....it wasn't the nightmare I expected.  But some of the stuff I ordered from Amazon...I don't think it has arrived yet....shoot.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

enki!!! - be careful on all that slippery, slimy muck this time of year.

Who do you think you are?  Mrs. Timbo or something.

of course, you take your cell phone if you go alone.

at least take remi, (if that's right). Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

The recipes sound good, I'll have to try some, like Mike E's

I cooked tonight... Macaroni Grill Chicken Florentine:

Open packet

Dump contents into 10 inch skillet

Add 1/3 cup Milk

Cover and cook over medium heat for 14 minutes

Stir occasionally... oops forgot that and some of the bottom part was burned but other wise yum!

8.5 MOH this afternoon in 60's. Didn't want to run, felt like a slug but the first few hills got the heart pump'n and soon felt great. 8:25 pace

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

SteveP

Doesn't a DG sighting brighten up a day?

Well it's no cute dog but it's ready for snow.

My new Surly Pugsly Snow Bike.

Do you put a fender on it to keep from getting the stripe up your back??? Kind of drooling here.

Here's wishing Holly running dreams. It's not uncommon and you'll work through it. I hope this phase passes. 

The closest I get to hot springs is making bubbles in the bath tub.

I make a pretty mean instant pudding.

I had a delivery along the Tunnel of Trees between Good Hart and Cross Village today. With a bit of ice on the road and the turns, it was challenging but fun.

SteveP

Holly S. and other see my signature line.  Big grin  Alas, the rest of mine are just copied from others.  Plus, my DW's family is a pain to cook for.  Many have a very limited palate.  We ended up at the store just buying steaks.  Everybody will eat it and I can customize how well done it is for each person.  The includes her younger sister's spousal equivalent who wants it cooked to the point of bearing a close resemblance to shoe leather.  Yech!  Dead

Jlynne I always wanted to know how to make sugared nuts!  Thanks for the recipe.

Wildchild the pictures look just amazing.  What a beautiful part of the world you live in.  I officially hate you!  Wink

Today was a two mile run day.  Alas, my right hamstring was not super happy.  Before and after it was fine.  But during, just not right.  I asked my PT, who I saw an hour or so later, and being the human MRI she is told me that it felt "tight" while she was working on it.  So why not tell me at the time and not wait until it was time to go?  Roll eyes  Anyway, she said to keep at two miles and to do some stretches she assigned to me a long time ago to twice a day.  Once home it was time to bake stuff.  Apple-raisin muffins for tomorrow's Joggers Club.  Irish brown bread, and Drunken Irish soda bread for the next few days.

Here is one of my favorite recipes from Allrecipes.com:  Clams with Chourico.  We had this for dinner and it is always a big hit.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

be still my heart! 

a day to share recipes, and I was too busy to have fun! I have so many favorites that it is hard for me to share one right now. I will tomorrow Wink

a day to see great pictures!!! thank you!

Life, office work and private work has been keeping me away from all the fun.

but... 

home now and time to bake. Son David is coming home. He called to let us know that he will be driving over the mountain passes for the next hours...well, also called because he wanted to make sure he has his twocat soda bread waiting for him for breakfast tomorrow morning.

time to bake, time to create fond family memories with the posie boys and many friend who are coming over tomorrow nite for our traditional Xtmas eve party....time to plan the menu

....let the fun family time begin.

4 easy miles today

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Holly - Deep breaths re the job stress.  It'll all even out.  And I watched "Super 8" tonight, too!  Really liked it.

All this talk of more food is making me hungry . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

be still my heart! 

a day to share recipes, ....

Mari,

Recipes ha.  I tried to cook pork chops and mashed potatoes, and spinich.  But let's not go there.

Can I post legally if I just gave blood?  They zeroed in on my 0-neg and "made" me give twice!  Kind of.  It's a double dose of red blood cells but a single dose of lost liquid.

I wonder what my HR would be if I ran on two doses of lost red blood cells?

But enough about me.  How are you doing with the running?  April is just around the corner. 

-C

ETA: and dg could run 5 miles? And be thrilled? Oh my, I am so out of touch.

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"