Masters Running

Friday December 23 Runs and Recipes (Read 486 times)

TammyinGP

I love all these recipes, but I think I like Munchkin and Hopeful's best!  Wink

MikeE - yours is a very close 2nd.

I have attended various Chanukkah parties in the past - I've had a few good latkes, but many not so good latkes. I think there must be a real fine technique to making the perfect latke.

We are having Christmas Eve at our house this year with a Christmas brunch at my parents. C.Eve is always a lighter fare and more low key, casual. Per David's request, we don't open any gifts on C.Eve. he wants to wait and open all of them on C Day. I think he just likes to see the total number of gifts he's getting all in one shot.

For Eve, I'm making up a crockpot of vegetable beef barley soup, my homemade artisan bread and 3 different appetizers "pizza pinwheels, bbq meatballs and a warm bacon cheddar spread heated up and served in a sourdough loaf" plus I have my variety of sweets I've been making this week: caramels, butter toffee crunch, peanut butter balls, coconut balls, date bars.

Been so busy this week that I haven't been able to run since my 5K on Monday, but after today I'm off work until the 2nd, so will get in lots of running while I'm off work. The dogs wouldn't have it any other way. I'm also off line after today until I return on the 2nd, so I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas, Happy Channukah, or just enjoy some extra time off and wrapping up your 2011!

Bella and Bailey say Merry Christmas

Tammy

Dove

The Dovenator

Opie, I meant to respond yesterday about your shoe recommendation. I have high arches and wear custom orthotics to support them, so if anything I supinate rather than pronate. I looked at the shoe weights of the women's models of those shoes, and yes, my Mizunos are the lightest (8.7 oz). Though I'm wondering, could I use my orthotics in the new PureProject series? If so, which would you recommend I try?

OK, I'm not Opie but I think I can help with your question. I am a supinator, too. I wear orthotics in my shoes most of the time. I currently have a pair of PureConnect in my rotation. The PureConnect are the most neutral and minimalist of the Pure line. I don't think an orthodic would fit in them - nor do I think you need it in this shoe. The shoe wraps around your arch to provide plenty of support - it almost feels like you are wearing a compression sock.

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Thanks for the recipe Holly.  I think I burned the first roast I ever made and have been a bit afraid of them since.  Then a friend of mine said "roasts are the easiest things to make", which made me feel even better of course.  I am going to try your recipe sometime.

Here is an easy chicken curry that my kids will even eat:

2 med onions, quartered

1 cup plain yogurt

4 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp lemon juice

2 cloves garlic

3 tsp coriander

1 tsp cumin

0.5 tsp curry powder

1.5 tsp ground ginger

(if you have fresh, even better)

2 tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

(a few chili peppers or powder) - optional

throw all this into a blender, until you make a nice slurry, and pour over

2-3 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces, that are in a 9x13 or other adequate pyrex dish.

Mix and cook 350F for about 45min-1 hour with no lid.

I really like the taste of this sauce

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

It's a salad with sugared walnuts that's to die for:

With my walnut allergy, I probably would!

All this food talk reminds me I need to decide on the menu for for meager cooking skills and get the grocery shopping done.

WTG dg!!

It's 34F and varying back & forth between rain, sleet & snow but mostly rain.  I had planned to do a long run but I'm having trouble getting out the door.  Maybe I'll opt for the Belt To Nowhere.

Enjoy the day folks!

Skip

wildchild

Carolyn

love and peace & happy everythings!

Smile  Thanks, Deb!

Enjoy the new shoes, Mary! Your DH didn't want to wrap them and put them under the tree?

Some interesting recipes today. Not sure I like any of them, though!  I don't eat red meat, and I don't like peanut butter and strawberry jam together, though I like them separately.  Jeanne's salad sounds yummy, except the sugared walnuts.  Sausage gravy on toast sounds weird, even with veggie sausage.  And cow's tongue on rye - yuck! But I do like latkes and falafel, and I like Byll's Christmas Carols!  ETA:  I love Enke's chicken curry recipe!

It's a beautiful day today!  We're debating whether we should ski today or tomorrow, but I think we've decided on tomorrow.  My sister is on her way here - she said it was -16° in Laramie when she got up.  It's a balmy +14° here!   I'll head out for a run when it warms up a bit.  But I did go out to take some pictures for you:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Awesome pictures. I love the dog!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Enjoy the new shoes, Mary! Your DH didn't want to wrap them and put them under the tree?

Shhhh.... they are a present to me, from me!   LOL

Which dog is this Carolyn?   He/she is so adorable!!!     The snow is very pretty, I wish we had some at least for a couple of days.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

That's Ladybug.  Smile   She practices looking cute -- and she's darned good at it!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

2.8 blah miles to pick up a bank gift card. Think I'll drive to the library....

OK, I'm not Opie but I think I can help with your question. I am a supinator, too. I wear orthotics in my shoes most of the time. I currently have a pair of PureConnect in my rotation. The PureConnect are the most neutral and minimalist of the Pure line. I don't think an orthodic would fit in them - nor do I think you need it in this shoe. The shoe wraps around your arch to provide plenty of support - it almost feels like you are wearing a compression sock.

+1

I haven't tried the Pure Project shoes yet & I'm a mild pronator.

mta-going for an easy 5-miler in the neighborhood.  We just celebrated Christmas with my side of the family and now the days-long celebration with DW's.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

C-R

Nice recipes and pics. I don't have any recipes unless it entails grilling but I enjoy eating if that counts.

10 easy miles today. Still tired from the week.

Love the dog pics.

Here is Santa's little helper when I needed some assistance.

A few minutes earlier before he realized there was work to be done.

I guess the holiday's get everyone tired.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Oh Dove, thank you for your response! I must've missed it earlier, glad Opie +1'd it. So you'd recommend the PureConnect shoes? Those are the ones listed as neutral... Great! I'll have to try them out (after my marathon, that is).

Yes, I like the doggie pictures too!

Gravy on Toast aka SOS (&* on a Shingle).  A mainstay in my home growing up, only it wasn't veggie sausage.  I still love SOS, although it's been a long time since I've made it.

Mary - Are you talking about the "Set It and Forget It"?  We have one and it's fantastic.  I'll be using it to roast a chicken for Dad and me on Christmas.  It's going to be a simple affair since it's just the two of us, but will include roasted Brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, onions, and garlic (roasted with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper), and coconut rice with shredded carrots.  Will have cream cheese, smoked salmon, and cracks and cut up fruit for snacking during the day.

Love all the doggie pics!

Carolyn's place looks like the front of a postcard.

50 min of the Stable Body DVD.  Arms and core are pleasantly pooped.  OM - this workout includes those evil stability ball tucks and roll-ups aka rocket get-ups.   The chick in this video does like 60,000.  I'm lucky to do 2 sets of 10.  (Disclaimer: The other videos suggested along with this one - um . . . . . )

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

50 min of the Stable Body DVD.  Arms and core are pleasantly pooped.  OM - this workout includes those evil stability ball tucks and roll-ups aka rocket get-ups.   The chick in this video does like 60,000.  I'm lucky to do 2 sets of 10.  (Disclaimer: The other videos suggested along with this one - um . . . . . )

My first thought upon seeing the title: "... vs Unstable Mind??" heh, and THEN I saw your disclaimer re the suggestions...  but I'm confused, since there was no fitball used in the exercise. Are you talking about a different segment in the video?

Oh, and I think the trick (really) is being able to get your knees into your armpits. It's a matter of limb length and leverage, as well as outer hip flexibility. Though having that cute cut-out top doesn't hurt either.

Slo

Well it's no cute dog but it's ready for snow.

My new Surly Pugsly Snow Bike.