Masters Running

Wednesday June 1st Stuff (Read 593 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

My Dad needs to get me energy/sports drinks.

What are some good flavors for dogs?

I hear Mocha-Critter is pretty good.

Big grin

Thanks for the honor of your miles, Kevin! But maybe they should've all gone to Leslie and Jlynne... since I ran as well today! woohoo!! 3.1 recovery miles (literally!) in the park, soaking up the humidity like nectar and enjoying every step. Took it nice and slow, 10:30 average pace, totally a piece of cake! Then I did a 1.3 mile walk as a chaser, just to get the legs used to walking as prep for the Avon Walk in the fall. I'm going to try to get into the habit of doing that for every run from now on, and try to keep the ratio consistent with what I did today.

Happy National Running Day to all!

MTA: congrats on graduating to walking, Jlynne! One step at a time, that's all that matters. Good for you! Smile

lamerunner I second the Wild Turkey suggestion!  ROFLMAO!  Plus if you put it on the rocks Avenger Doggie will stay cool as well!

Off to the doc early this afternoon for an ankle checkup.  After that I may see if I can run at all as yet.  Seems unlikely given what happened Sunday but I am starting to run out of patience.  I guess it is pure jealousy.  My DW and her friend are going off to run tomorrow evening in a belated push by them both to train for an end of June HM they both signed up for this past winter.  Roll eyes  No, I have no idea why they decided three weeks prior to the race was when to get going on building up distance.  Judging by this post I guess the thought of going on the elliptical, yet again, is apparently making me grumpy.  Black eye

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I guess today is National Run Day?  

It is also National Go Barefoot Day.

Happy National [Pool] Running Day!!

(Does the fact I pool ran last night count??)

Trying hard to not be obnoxious with non-running posts . . .

JLynne - If there were such a thing as obnoxious non-running posts, I would've been sent packing about, oh, 67 days ago.  (Yes, I'm keeping count.)  And Happy Walking, little lady!  Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Stumpy.  Smile

Avenger Doggie - "Beef Up Yer Bark Chews", "Cat Poo Powerhouse Pieces"

1 hr of strength training and core this a.m.  My arms are really tired.  Actually, I was going to make this a rest day, but I was laying there in bed (after feeding the cats) and thought, Les, don't be a wimp.  Get your a$$ out of bed and go workout.  Now!  I feel much better having done so.

MTA - Very cool video showing the earth's rotation that a friend me.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jtv

I guess today is National Run Day? 

Oops! I must have missed the memo.  Due to, as our local weatherman called it "a bad case of the summer muggies", I postponed my tempo run till later in the week, and walked 5 miles in 55:20 this am.  70F and a dewpoint of 69F - yuck.  Had I known it was National Running Day, I would have at least run instead of walked.  Boy do I feel like a wimp.  Hopefully that counts.

Marathon Maniac #957

76 degrees and 93% at 5am this morning.  For no reason I can fathom, I felt like I was chomping at the bit and shot out of my house like a rocket instead of my usual lumbering warmup. 

6.35 miles like this:

(8:35)

(7:58)

(9:24)

(7:38)

(9:28)

and the last 1.35 miles at (10:18)

Considering my speedwork has been nearly zip this season, those were practically blistering paces for me.  Must be because it’s National Running Day.

I continue to be terrified/excited/overwhelmed/havenofrickencluewhatImdoing/tentativelyhopefulifonlyIcansurvive  at my new job.  Better get back to it……

Another night of going straight to DD's softball game after work, so I'll check back in with you folks in the morning....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

fatozzig, I think it's good that your doctor is happy with your progress.  I know you'd like it to be much faster but this is good news.  jlynne, it's nice you got to walk with your husband and he liked it.  OM, congrats on your run.

Nice long run for hermosa.

I don't normally run on Wed, but a couple of things changed my mind.  I only did 5 yesterday and I knew I wouldn't be running on Sat (a normal running day) as my wife want's to go to an antique fair in Dave59's neighborhood.  It was in the high 60s and there was a little wind when I went out.  I got in 8 miles in a little over 1:18 for a 9:47 pace.  This is my least slow run in awhile so I'm happy with it.  I wasn't trying to push it, it just sort of happened.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

BTY

7:38 Holly? Zoom!

Today was day 4 of recovery mode jogging. I ran 6 miles at 10:10 pace with a co-worker at lunchtime while it was in the mid-80's and muggy but with a nice breeze off of the river that really mitigated the hot conditions.  I ran a 15k race on Saturday and have run every day since then at recovery pace (ok, I did run a little faster for a while on Monday and just for a 1/4 mile or so on Tuesday) and am finding that most of the post-race soreness is gone from my hips and legs.  Stretching every morning too and slowly getting back to the core exercises has to be helping in that area as well.

Yesterday at this time my oldest son (18 yo college frosh) called to say that he and some friends had found a 3-day old fawn in our back yard and taken it to the animal hospital, only to be told to return it to where they found it, so the mother could come back for it. So they did, and three hours later it died.  The shame of it is multiplied by the fact that NY State's Environmental Conservation dept has a wild animal rehabilitation clinic about 5 miles from our home, and had they been diorected to take it there, instead, it would still be alive.  My son remembered seeing a doe by the side of the road on Saturday night so the little thing was probably alone since then, basically surviving on what it got from mama in the first few hours after it was born.  I realize that with deer populations skyrocketing, animal hospitals probably don't want to make an effort to save a distressed infant, but come on!  Anyway, I got in about 30 minutes of additional exercise this morning, digging a grave for "Twinkle".   Sad

Dave59

as my wife want's to go to an antique fair in Dave59's neighborhood. 

Thanks for the heads up.  Now I know to avoid that area this weekend.  Those shows always seem to cause gridlock in our little town.

Come early and run the 5k or 10k at the community center (8:00am).  They have locker rooms there you can use. 

It is also National Go Barefoot Day.

...I think that's after National Run Nekkid Day.......

========

........150min hiking in 96-degrees............friggin' circadias EVERYwhere

these are

the 13-year ones,

suppose

one hatches out next year, will he wonder where everybody went??

obviously

I need to force fluids.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

............friggin' circadias EVERYwhere

these are

the 13-year ones,

suppose

one hatches out next year, will he wonder where everybody went??

I was in Nashville last week and there were immense numbers of them there, too.  Windshield looked like we had driven through a paintball range.Dead  We also wondered how it felt to ride a motorcycle through them.  Pretty noisy on top of messy.

Which brings to mind an old joke--"what the lst thing that goes thorugh a bug's mind when it hits the windshield?"

Its butt.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Or as my dad would always say: "He won't have the guts to do that again!"

Ugh!  Back in my motorcycle days I sampled a few mashed bees.

I did it!  I ran!  29 days since my last run.  It was WONDERFUL.  Leslie, I thought of you for the first mile.  For the second I thought of all the other runners that are not running right now.  For the third I celebrated ME!

3.2 miles with only two short breaks.  54F but 88% humidity.  Damn, there were a few tiny little sprinkles, but I was so tomato faced I wanted some big fat drops to come down to cool me off.  Really weird, praying for rain on a run!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

I did it!  I ran! 

And you didn't fall?  Congratulations!

..........  For the third I celebrated ME!

oh sure,

Hog the last one.............

Congratuations enke//..........Great Feeling isn't it??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....