Masters Running

TatTuesday 9/20/11 (Read 612 times)

Love the theme of this thread!!  I have several and have had one name covered up as well - even tho I am still married to the man whose name I covered up!!Roll eyes   I typically like tattoos but not the ones me dh has been getting lately - skulls, swords, snakes -- yuck!!

((Posai))  ((Ribs))  so sorry to hear of the losses you are going thru

thinking of you all even tho I am still not posting much .... Lobster Dash 5 miler on the sands of Ogunquit, Maine for me this past weekend - i love Maine!!

denise

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Well I'm back from the meeting... oh man, what a mess. For DS, his high school used a software package that submitted the entire application electronically: transcripts, letters of recommendations from the teachers, all of it... and of course the college application itself. At DD's school, only the electronic application is electronic. She needs envelopes, stamps, forms signed and resigned by guidance, approval to request a letter of recommendation before it's even written by the teachers! Such ridiculous red tape... I'm only glad this isn't our first child to go through the process of applying to schools, so we have a pretty good handle on what's expected to be done and when. I swear, this school of hers seems to work extra hard to complicate a process that's challenging at times to begin with.

So back to running and my vacation... I neglected to mention that the day before the 10k, MrOM had run 19 miles! Shocked Me, I only ran 6 that day.... Roll eyes

I really liked Portland. I had heard of this place, but the line to get in was too long:

But at least I got a good sense of the town, during the time we spent there. Smile

The next day after the race (Monday), we left Portland and drove the scenic route to Mt. Hood, stopping along the way at Multnomah Falls.

Eventually we made it to Timberline Lodge. We got there mid-afternoon, just in time for our half-day Bike and Beer Tour (noticing a trend there yet?).

It was 3 hours of mountain biking followed by a tour of a local brewery and a beer tasting with dinner there. Oh, have I mentioned that I've never mountain-biked before?? In true adherence to my rule of "always try something twice, just to make sure you hate it", after I fell the second time, I opted to walk the bike through all the subsequent hills and treacherous twist and turns. My bruises are nice and colorful now, more than a week later. Once again, thank goodness for the beer!

Here's a couple shots of MrOM going down that last hill, the one I knew better than to even try:

What a natural!

After a short morning hike on Tuesday

we left Mt. Hood and drove the Fruit Loop (through various orchards and farms where you can buy/pick the fruit) on our way to Seattle. No more falls or races there, just lots of coffee....

Did you know there are 117 Starbucks within the city limits? We learned that and some other useless (but amazing) facts on Bill Speidel's Underground Tour of Seattle, as well as the Ride the Ducks Tour -- now that's living the dream!

Ran in the mornings there with MrOM, 9 miles on Wednesday and 7 miles on Thursday, all along the waterfront.

Wednesday was the actual date of our anniversary, and we had dinner reservations at The Pink Door. When I first called to make the reservation several weeks before, I had mentioned it was our 25th, and they had literally the best table in the house reserved for us. Though it wasn't one of the nights with the trapeze entertainment, the food, the ambiance and the champagne (oh my!) were absolutely perfect. The next night we had dinner at SkyCity, the revolving restaurant at the top of the Space Needle.

Very pretty views of the city indeed... though for some odd reason, I kept on thinking they were going to roll back Time at any moment for the next show.... Wink

On Friday we took the Victoria Clipper ferry to Victoria, BC for the day, where we had lunch with the famous Sans Souci! It was a lovely little vegetarian restaurant, and while there was beer on the menu, I opted (for once) to abstain. Afterward, we visited the beautiful Butchart Gardens, had an early dinner at a local brew pub (beer, yes!), then boarded the ferry for the three-hour return trip to Seattle. We flew home the next day.

Thanks all for indulging me with this story. I've been having trouble writing lately, and my mood and usually positive attitude have been really failing. Probably a delayed reaction to the trauma of my recent health issues, like a form of PTSD perhaps. It really hit me hard last week, when talking to SS and I mentioned that my second surgery was only two months ago. Only two months. I think the act of telling someone that made it finally sink in. Two months is not a long time. No wonder I've been feeling so lousy lately; and worse, feeling fed up and disappointed with myself that I'm not back to how I used to be before. It's one thing when you have a definitive injury and you can't run. It's another when you just have to wait and let your heart and mind recover, at a schedule that your body doesn't dictate.

Thanks again for listening, my friends.

MTA: Added some photos, might have some more later.

Mike E

MM #5615

Ahh...breakfast beers...now, that will put hair on your chest.

Lame--I don't blame you one bit--I give you a lot of credit for doing something about it.

Okay--so I got home--mowed the lawn before the sun went down--then went out for an easy 8 miler.  8.2 miles in 1:02:47.  We'll see how this works.

The DW is not happy!   You'd think I was the one that got the dang tattoo.  Hey--maybe this is the perfect time to get one...

Mike E

MM #5615

Sounds like you had a great trip, OM.  I wish you were feeling better, now, though.  Just so you know--you're in my morning prayers. 

OM - A wonderful recount of your vacation.  Thanks for sharing.

And you will bounce back to being your old self.  It just takes time and lots of personal TLC.  You are right - two months is a very short period of time with respect to what you've gone through.  Heck, the period of time from first surgery to second surgery is short!  You are a lovely person, inside and out, and you will come back stronger than ever.  Just wrap your arms around your shoulders and give yourself a big hug from all of us.  We hold you close to our hearts.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

HermosaBoy

DD managed to blow through $100 on the weekend buying food  mostly at restaurants) ... and she has a meal plan. Maybe she should have gone to school in rural North Dakota.... San Francisco is too tempting.

My son goes to school in North Dakota and is on a meal plan -- still goes out to eat quite often...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mariposai

Thanks all for indulging me with this story. I've been having trouble writing lately, and my mood and usually positive attitude have been really failing. Probably a delayed reaction to the trauma of my recent health issues, like a form of PTSD perhaps. It really hit me hard last week, when talking to SS and I mentioned that my second surgery was only two months ago. Only two months. I think the act of telling someone that made it finally sink in. Two months is not a long time. No wonder I've been feeling so lousy lately; and worse, feeling fed up and disappointed with myself that I'm not back to how I used to be before. It's one thing when you have a definitive injury and you can't run. It's another when you just have to wait and let your heart and mind recover, at a schedule that your body doesn't dictate.

Thanks again for listening, my friends.

Thanks for sharing your fun adventure with us! I was thinking of  you as I was covering my miles of the relay in New England Country. How ironic, you being here and me being there.

I am so glad that you had a grand time. You hit all my old time favorite spots, race in Portland (no fair, you got a picture with the famous labduck and I have yet to meet him in person). A trip to Mt. Hood, my first love with a mountain! A bike ride there, A visit to the Pink Door in Seattle! yes!!! a perfect place to celebrate the 25th year of love! and yes! a place I have not have the luxury to dine at Smile. Then to Victory\ia. The garden is one of my favorite places in the whole planet and Sans Souci is my idol!!! What a great way to celebrate a mile stone in your marriage!!!

Best wishes to you as you navigate the collage admission. I am right there, right now too with my second son! Deep breath!

Thanks for the hugs today. Yes, I needed it BIG time. Logistics for "memorial of life celebration" is unfolding. The family, per my friend's request, has asked me to be the organizer for the gathering! Kindred Spirit and all, this is hard.

RAW tonight, 3 miles with the Easy Pacer around the orchards!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Meant to add the hugs before...

{{{Mari}}}

{{{Ribs}}}

{{{everyone else}}}

Go check out my previous two posts if you didn't see before; I added some pictures. Smile

Mike E

MM #5615

My son goes to school in North Dakota and is on a meal plan -- still goes out to eat quite often...

So does mine...and he gets dreadlocks and tattoos...but don't tell lamerunner...I was trying to be supportive...

Hey!  OM--those pictures weren't up there before, were they?  Very nice!!   No wonder you're feeling down--you're back home doing the same old grind.  You'll bounce back.

wildchild

Carolyn

OM, Happy Anniversary, and welcome back!  We missed you!  Sounds like you had a great trip, with beer for breakfast and everything,  Great pictures, too.  Either you're very short, or Mr OM is very tall, or both. My brother lives in Portland - I'm thinking it's past time we paid him a visit, since it looks great!

Mike, I'm not familiar with that AC tattoo your DS got.  What does that mean? 

No tattoos for me or my DH.  Just not our thing.  Looks like it would hurt, and I'm a wuss. 

Mari and Ribs, condolences to the families of your friends.  Sad  And hugs to you both.

5 miles RAW on a flatland trail.  Nice that it's cool enough to run a flat trail for a change, after a summer of steep trail running.  I love running in the mountains, but if I have a limited time to run since I have to get home and cook dinner, I can go farther on a flat trail. 

Trail race tomorrow evening.  Looks like it will be IRC!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm sorry...I should have said that it's his college logo. Augustana College.

Marathon Maniac #957

Orange Mat - what a lovely trip with your DH! Thanks for sharing it with us, and here's a few {{{hugs}}} back at you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

3.5 miles  in PM last night, warmup, cool down, and 1/4 mile repeats times 5 all under 2 min.1:48-1:58.  Great pictures OM, I have always wanted to go to Portland.  I am adopted, and my birth mother lives there, as well as my brother and possibly half brothers and sisters.  My mother was seperated when she had me in Germany.  DS#1 found her online and says she she came to USA in 1963, to Portland, where her husband lived.  So I assume he is my father, and they did have a son before I was born.  I have never contacted any of them, I am a wuss, and I think that it would hurt my adopted mother.  Prayers and hugs to all.