Masters Running

Sat/Jan 7, 2012 thread - ganbare OM's first marython (Read 520 times)

Tet - Hi - well, great job anyway, and try again soon.  I had a great fun run today in the sun and mild weather.  Steady trot for me.  Good coffee after.

OM - I ran today thinking about my run tomorrow for you on your 6th mile.   Just think what you have been through this past year!   Oh, and if you have no ice at your motel, one time I just used the coldest water in a wrung out wash cloth to use on a bad feeling ankle, and it did the job.

Tselbs - Good job, and sounds like the fun races I get to do.  

tselbs, congrats on the AG placement!

Skip, I know you swear by epsom salt baths and now I know why.  I've been meaning to try it since at least Monday.  I talked to Conor, my new coach, about it and he thought it was a good idea.  Why did I wait so long?  I took one this afternoon and got immediate relief in all my right-side muscles bothering me, from glutes to toes.  Does it matter how long you soak in the bath?  Temperature?  Mine was tepid.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Ryan is pretty damn fast Shocked

His Dad's no slouch either!  Congrats Mike!

Opie - I prefer my Epsom salt baths pretty hot and I sit in the tub a long time (20-30 min).  I know you could argue that hot water is bad for the muscle inflammation but I think it also opens up the pores more and helps the epsom salts do their thing.

T52F with sun but windy.  Took a big fall on the muddy trail today.  It was a forward 360 deg barrel roll.  Nothing broken or bleeding but I've got some achy parts that I am icing.  It drew a 6.8 from the Romanian judge.  Hopefully all will be well tomorrow.

Good luck OM!

Peace friends

Muddy Skip

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, congrats to you and Ryan for greta races!
          Paavo, cute grand kid!  Sounds like a fun birthday party. Do you run for time, too, like CNY?  I noticed you listed your run as 3+ hours, not miles.
          Ribs, congrats on 1st AG!  I didn't read the whining about being slow, yada yada... Joking
          TomS, congrats on your AG award, too.

Skip, glad to hear nothing appears to be broken or bleeding! Too bad no one had a video camera.

I ran 8 hot and humid miles around Cahuita this afternoon - not that I'm complaining!  The views of the ocean were awesome - I envy you folks who see it often.  And the oxygen at sea level is really nice, too.

This morning we went for a hike in Cahuita National Park. We saw 3 kinds of monkeys: 

Howler monkey                                                                        capuchin monkey

Kira  monkey

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wild - ooh the rare Kira monkey!  It was a good day!

wildchild

Carolyn

We saw a sloth and a Kira sloth, too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

good grip that Kira sloth has ! Smile

Nice racing for Ryan and Mike and Ribs (won AG!) and Tom and Tet!

Good luck OM. Pain is only mental.

This morning was a balmy 40 degrees!  Ran two 6 mile loops around the lake.  The first loop with a new running club member.  Good to have company!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Love the pictures, Carolyn. I agree, that Kira sloth has quite the grip!

Glad you're mostly ok, Skip. Might be like a car wreck though and you'll be really sore the next couple of days.

Never tried an Epsom salt soak for my whole body, but have done it for my foot before. Glad you got some relief, Opie.

No lake laps for me. No new running partner either. I did wear shorts, but almost wondered if I'd need long sleeves for awhile. 9.1 miles on the treadmill tonight. In the garage. Again.

Kira Sloth and Kira Monkey - I'll have to check those out on Wikipedia.

Most of you are in bed, but I haven't been to get on here hardly at all these last two days.

Erika - When did you get a kitten??  Pictures?

14 miles this morning on the Elk River Trail in the Headwaters Forest Reserve.  Had the place to myself until I came back down the hill.  Did 6 loops at the top.  Very enjoyable.  The legs were pooped at the end, and as I struggled on a couple of "hills" Roll eyes, I had to remind myself that in a few weeks, I'll be better at this (hopefully!).

Today was my last Saturday visit to the jail.  Yahoo!  Can't definitely say I won't miss that place.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Not only did I not meet my goal, I didn't even come close. 

I had a ball being with people I know and care about.... Also won my AG.

I'll take one of your "bad" races any day!  Smile

Perch - enjoy your first session as Host!

Wildchild - lovely pics!

Paavo - nice run!

CNYrunner - those trail 50ks are lovely, aren't they!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."