Masters Running

Wednesday June 1st Stuff (Read 593 times)

Yay Enke and what a perfect day for a comeback!  We were both tomato-faced today.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

........150min hiking in 96-degrees............friggin' circadias EVERYwhere

these are

the 13-year ones,

suppose

one hatches out next year, will he wonder where everybody went??

obviously

I need to force fluids.......

Big grin

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

GGPRunner

Hello all!

Thanks for the warm welcome a few days back.

OM, you are so inspirational and I love your non-"whoa"-is-me attitude.  Congrats on the run today!

Yay for running after 29 days, enkephalin! I missed why you haven't been running, but I hope you're back to normal soon.

TW, I remember those cicadas when we lived in Baltimore in the early to mid 80s. (13 x 2 = 26.  Today is our 26th Anniversary -- we got married at the Sculpture Garden of the Baltimore Museum of Art).

Holly, those are some speedy miles for such a hot day.  Great job!

CNY, congrats on the double race weekend.  You are amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing you fly in Utah.

You, too, Byll!  Great 10K PR this weekend, btw.

I waited until the unseasonable rain stopped and went for a nice and easy 7 mile run.  I got to be an unofficial Golden Gate Park Tourist Aid by stopping twice, once to take a picture and the other time to answer the question, "what's so great about this famous park, anyway?"  I don't know if my SF cheerleading had anything to do with it, but I ended up running this route about the fastest I ever have. I was a bit surprised, especially since I ran a 10K race on Monday.  I was pleased with my race, even if it was about 1:30 slower than my PR time.  Maybe because I was able to finish standing up and feeling fine (unlike two years ago when I ended up in the ER).  Nutrition is a wonderful thing. Also practicing a little "whoa-is me" is not so bad, either.

Enjoy the day! 

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Enke, you are MY (s)hero today! Wow, I'm so happy for you!! Smile

TW, yeah, fluids, for sure.

Stumpy, great joke!

My mind is still sieve-like, but at least I remembered those few posts.

Just got back from my first PT session. The girl who worked on me was absolutely lovely; intelligent, patient, pleasant... a dream physical therapist. Of COURSE her last day is tomorrow.... she's having knee surgery on Friday and will be rehabbing herself (well, not literally) for 6-8 weeks. I'll probably see her when I'm coming for treatments. Oh well, at least I had the pleasure of working with her today.

And so what did she do? Massaged my shoulder a little, stretched my arm a touch... and now I'm utterly exhausted! Good to know that that little bit of work really was "work".

Happy Anniversary, unofficial GGP Tourist Aid!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Went out for a 50 min. National Runners Day run and walk.  Nice weather.  Hope you all had nice runs.

Avenger Doggie: Robby Dog likes coffee with lots of half and half for an energy drink.  He likes it best out of my mug.

Marathon Maniac #957

I did it!  I ran!  29 days since my last run.  It was WONDERFUL.  Leslie, I thought of you for the first mile.  For the second I thought of all the other runners that are not running right now.  For the third I celebrated ME!

Smile

BTY - that's so sad, and doubly so because it could have been avoided.  I know what you mean about deer populations, but I can't bear to see a baby die needlessly.  Similarly (or so it is to me), I was noticing that there are no goslings or baby ducks this year in the large flock that lives along the river where I run.  May's heavy rains and high flooding must have washed away their nests.  I know they're pests to many folks, but I miss those tiny waddling critters and feel bad for their childless parents.

I sat down with my boss this afternoon and went over some questions I had and feel much better about the job.  He told me that he appreciates how difficult it must be for me to just dive in to this area I have never worked in before, and that it takes most folks 6 months to a year to get a good grasp of it.  Whew!  I was worried I was supposed to have a handle on this stuff in a matter of weeks. 

Here's a strange twist:  He's sending me to New Orleans next week for a two-day conference on VA benefits.  I know many of you travel for work regularly, but this is the first time I've worked for someone who was willing to send me halfway across the country for a seminar.  Crazy.

Hey, do we have anyone in New Orleans who wants to go for a run next Wed or Thur?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

. . . my boss . . . sending me to New Orleans next week for a two-day conference on VA benefits.

Thank goodness Marti Gras is over!  Holly might've gone down there, gained one too many strands of beads, and we'd never hear from her again! Big grin  PS - Your boss doing this says a lot with regard to how much he wants you to succeed.  Very cool.

Big thank yous to Enke, Wildchild, SteveP, and anybody else I've forgotten to mention who said they thought about me during their runs today/last night.  Mucho appreciado!  All you peeps - yer the cat's meow.  Except Avenger Doggie.  He's the dog's happy growl.

Okay - I've been slammed with a ton of side transcription over the last three days.  Not lookin' a gift horse in the mouth 'cause we definitely need the $$$, but I need to git off this site and hop to it.

Later ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Baby ducks and geese always remind me of my mom--she used to love watching them things waddle across the road...

Anyway...I ran 6.2 miles in 44:33, tonight.  73 degrees and a 10 mph wind--pretty nice.  I'm keeping the foot off the accelerator until after the marathons--I even resisted the urge to chase down a kid on his bike.  (I would have never caught him anyway...but I would have had fun trying)

Okay--that's it for me--see ya tomorrow!

Mariposai

Trying despeartly to catch up here.

let me see

...heme...give us an update on your ouchie.

fatozzig, nasty catterpillars!!! but fun time with DH, right?

Wildchild, how is your time with your gorgeous dear daughter. Some day you and I will hike, ski or run your trails....what a grand day that will be.

Congrats to the wiseone for his win!!!! Way to go ohhh wiseone!!!

Erika!!!!! I can't wait to land into your embrace!!!!!!!!!

Look at Holly, traveling around the country already, as it should be!!!

Karin, I just love you!

Peter, glad to see you here!

Enkie, your posts always makes me smile.

Tramps, I was wondering where you were...hitting from the weather??? hummm.

Perchcreek, good luck with the move! Rooting for you!

Twocat, congrats on planting EIGHT wonderful plants...now a challenge for you...name their name in Latin...such as...penstemon= Penstemon cardwellii;  woodland phlox= Phlox divaricota Big grin

Any news form Francesca?

5 miles today with some fartklets involved, this early morning before some much needed catch up on the phone

then off to work, then, off shopping for food for my DS#2 to pamper him during my absence,

then...cooking a killer of beef strogonoff, which was devoured by my guys and one "other son"

then, 

then....now it is time to start packing...let me see...garmin, gu, race shorts, t-shirt, butterfly wings, running shoes...

done!

isn't it so grand  that as runners we need  so little for our victory lap????????

and to find my butterfly earrings!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

This is National Running Day ....I had no idea :-/

Soooooooooooooooo....good thing I ran tonight...

‎12 hot hawt sexy sweaty shirtless miles tonight (8:10 ave pace) with 6 miles of hill repeats over a long overpass close to where I live. Boy did I get dehydrated today, and my head sunburned (I was outside in the sun all day at work, and didn't think much of it) I feel horrible now, and I can't drink enuff water....adaptation stage of hot weather which I love...and I got it done !

Everytime I had to stop for a traffic light or something, I left a HUGE puddle of sweat on the ground....amazing to see that much

Gotta Love Leslie :-)

TimSter

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mariposai

It is also National Go Barefoot Day.

and the barefoot king, aka taper boy or best known as tetsujin did not appear here today????????????

butterfly to all...

and heck...to me too Smile

Big grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Thank goodness Marti Gras is over!

Every time I go for a doctor's appointment these days, it feels like it's Mardi Gras....

Marathon Maniac #957

Every time I go for a doctor's appointment these days, it feels like it's Mardi Gras....

Big grin 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."