Masters Running

Thursday May 26 Stormy Runs and Workouts (Read 513 times)

Late Afternoon, Gang (at least on the West Coast) -

Dang, Holly.  That drive sounded awful.  I think I'd be whimpering like your DD.  Scary stuff.  Happy you made it home safe and sound.

Lamerunner - Wanna share that quinoa salad recipe?  I love quinoa, but never know what to do with it.

OM's salad looks so yummy!

With our weather yesterday, today, tomorrow - okay, right through the weekend - I'd swear Twocat was close by.

No workout this a.m., but plan to pool run with the little darlings (Roll eyes) tonight.

Am virtually hugging puppies 'cause it sounds so dang therapeutic.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

BTW-Holly any short races in your area next Sunday? (Graduation is Saturday-we're always ready for a race when visiting).

Henry and Marj - you're talking about Sunday, June 5, right?  There's a 5k race in Maineville, Ohio at 8am.  I've never been to Maineville, but I think it's about 35-40 minutes from Middletown (isn't that where your DD lives?):

http://www.usracecalendar.com/content/6th-annual-abiding-word-run-prize-5k-maineville-oh

Also, a little farther drive but all freeway, so maybe 55 minutes from Middletown, is the Troy Strawberry Festival 10K at 8:30am.  I've never run the race, but the Strawberry Festival is quite an event, and one worth driving up there just to hang out after the race and sample some of the many delectible strawberry creations and wander about the festival.

http://www.speedy-feet.com/pdfs/2011__strawberry_Entry.pdf

I would love to join you but am running a 50k on Saturday (Another Dam 50K, in Englewood, Ohio), and so will not likely be in any mood to try to run a race on Sunday.

Congrats to your grandson, and I hope the weather is good for his graduation.  The long range forecast at the moment looks pretty good.

Erika and Nono - I don't see any damage on my car, but it's a 13yo car, so who knows what new dings there are among the old ones.

Orange Mat - nice salad!  Soak up that vit. D and enjoy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Spareribs mostly because I have a memory like a steel sieve and can never remember who is where.  I am not sure it would have mattered.  I cannot run yet and I am otherwise pretty busy at this conference.

I must confess that I just victimized you in the same way others do it to me. I travel a lot, and it seems to happen frequently that I will mention being in some city, and someone will say, "Oh, so and so lives there.  Did you call him?"  And of course I have no reason or opportunity to do so because I am there for work and very busy. I generally fly in during the evening, eat dinner and go to sleep.  The next day I work, then fly home at night.  Enjoy your stay; get home safely.  Spareribs

BTY

Hi All.  So this is the Daily at RA, eh?   

Seems okay....not too scary....Spareribs is here....lots of others too....Cool.

I have a race Saturday and can't decide whether to run the 2-miler or the 15k.   We hit the high 80's today and will tomorrow as well, so if that stuff sticks around, it'll be an easy decision - run the 2-miler and get to the beer tent while the beer is still cold.  If it drops into the mid 70's at race time, like it's supposed to, it'll be a harder decision.

So today I race prepped as though I was going to run the 2-miler.  1.5 warm up, then 2*400m @ 5:55 pace with 200m recoveries, and then 2*200m  at the same pace with 100 m recoveries, and a 1.99 mile cool down.   I figured running at 1-mile race pace would be good for either race, and we'll see what the weather brings us. 

Brian  

Henrun

Holly, thank you. We'll be thinking of you Saturday and cheering you on. Sorry we can't connect once more, but on one of these visits we eventually will.

Renee the dog

2150 yards at the pool tonight. I'm beat!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I don't think I came anywhere near Nono's 2150 yards, but I did have a good hard pool running workout.  I talked to one of the lifeguards about the water "dumbbells," which added a whole new dimension to things.  Some great resistance work for the arms while running.  He also told me about a good core workout -  straight-armed the dumbbells at my side then tried to keep my body perfectly straight without losing balance, fluttering the feet, etc.  It's harder than it sounds, and I'm thinking the difficulty would be increased if I used the smaller dumbbells.

Switching things up a lot made the hour go by a lot faster than normal.  I also lucked out and had the deep end lane to myself the whole time.  Yea!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, you must have a lot of daylight now - probably pushes you into summer sooner than us.  

Nice day here too, 65° and high clouds when I ran after work.  5.7 miles, 9:45 avg pace, on the Highline Canal trail.  It's called a trail but it's wide and flat, easy running, past lots of mansions.  Not really a "trail" trail but very pleasant place to run in town.

Lamerunner, things sound pretty busy for your household!  I remember last year when DD was a senior in HS, this time of year was crazy busy, with band and choir concerts, awards ceremonies, graduation, etc.  Now it's too quiet, with her away at college.  But she's on her way home Saturday!  Today she flew to Chicago to visit her boyfriend, and after several missed and delayed flights, she finally made it, but they lost her luggage. Angry  Some of the missed flights were due to the terrible weather in the midwest.  Hope all of you in that part of the country are doing OK!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Wildchild, I meant to comment on your post earlier today. Glad to hear that your DD is coming home. Enjoy the time together!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Lamerunner, things sound pretty busy for your household! 

I agree!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Scary Holly!!!!...MMMM...Strawberry festival......

Claire visits are the best.

Tramps isn't the only one proud you you Nancy

I think I'm caught up at work. Afterwards, I went to the Vassa Trail Head and picked up 3 yards of mulch. I found two late morels, and three asparagus stalks. DW will get breakfast in bed. Nearly all the mulch got spread and we need more. DW, Tag and I went for a two mile hike. I wish we had the camera. Tag was pulling a 15ft fallen tree down the road trying to play "Gimmie That Damn Stick".He carried it farther than I would have.

SteveP