Masters Running

Thursday, 6.18.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the tips, Slo. I do use Garmin Connect, but I can't find 'Tools' on the site. I'll keep looking...

I'm glad you had a good, lightning-free session with the Speedsters on Tuesday night, Aamos.

It's good to know your own recovery rate, Holly. That's the easy part - the hard part is paying attention to it!

Have fun, whether you run or volunteer at the 50-miler, Wildchild.

So, you'll be the Nowhere Man out in Washington? Have fun, wherever you are or aren't.

Nice 5er, Tselbes.

Sorry about your arm, Mike. But don't arbitrarily blame it on getting old (which you aren't). Blaming things on getting old is a slippery slope - sooner or later, you'll start to believe it!

Tonight, I have the honor of presenting this year's Conservation Commission awards to 2 deserving students at the local 8th grade graduation ceremony. I've been to this ceremony before, and the kids are so dang cute (all dressed up) and proud of what they've accomplished, and a bit scared of the transition to high school. They are great kids, and being at the graduation is inspiring.

7.77 RW miles, mostly along the coast this morning. Delightful 53F temps, a slight breeze, and relatively dry air. There were lots of people sitting on the sea walls, watching the skies change as the sun crept up the other side of the planet toward sunrise. They got a great show this morning.

I've got either a bruise or maybe a slight fracture on the top of my right foot. Right now, it's just enough to be annoying. I guess I should back off a bit and see what happens.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

A tough 4.69 on the trails this morning.  Humidity and stress are sapping my energy.

2 free samples today at Starbucks. The first one was very good: black tea lemonade with mango.  The second was one of those sugary frappuccinos which aren't my thing.  It was a 'cupcake frappuccino'.

Work has been rough. Too much work, too many deadlines, too many projects, and the worst part: too many project managers.  A number of people have recently left.  My boss is in the latest wave to jump ship.  (I may have already mentioned that.)

And then on Monday we got rain like I have rarely seen.  2 days later our basement was damp in a couple corners.  Not a good thing when the house is on the market.  We left it unfinished for over a year after the last clean-up to make sure all the problems were addressed.  Now we have wet carpet.  I talked to a couple contractors that said to dry it out but don't make drastic, expensive changes based on that one rainfall.  Lots of people who never got wet basements got wet this time.  So I'll peel back the carpet and dry it out.  Then decide what to do next.

Slo

Jay, On the Summary page of your training log...

Then select Applications:

And finally...

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - watch that foot, and hopefully it will get better.

Slio - you have 14 messages.  Get on it!

Work is crazy busy. Taking even two days off at the end of the month is a bit terrifying.

5.55 miles for me today in 74 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Jay - watch that foot, and hopefully it will get better.

Slio - you have 14 messages.  Get on it!

Work is crazy busy. Taking even two days off at the end of the month is a bit terrifying.

5.55 miles for me today in 74 degrees.

Just about ditto for me, with these edits:

-underscore the "watch" Jay;

--make that 15 messages, Slo;

-delete "crazy" and substitute 'daunting' for terrifying;

-reduce to 5.27 and up to 77 degrees.

Also got in 5 last night around the 'hood after the t'storms just 'cuz I love to run after the rain.

And MikeE, and going to MCM--my buddy just messaged me about getting her bib!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

Not 14 messages...those are files downloaded from Garmin I needed to save to my workouts!

I rarely get any messages.

wildchild

Carolyn

I switched my computer operating system from Windows to Linux a while back, and I like Linux a lot, but I can no longer upload my Garmin to RA or Garmin Connect, because they only work on Windows or Mac operating systems.  So I manually enter my runs from my Garmin, but I can no longer see elevation profiles or maps or anything.

Yesterday I ran a new trail in a park near Evergreen - I've run the lower loop there before, but yesterday I ran another loop to the top of Bergen Peak.  Steep uphill, followed by a cruiser downhill.   10.6 miles total. I love new trails!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

To paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson in "Pulp Fiction", check out the big brain on SLO HAND!  Man, I wish I had tech support like that.  Screen shots and everything!

Got home from Cleveland a bit late but nothing bad, and Hudson got home from Austin, TX (UT orientation) at about 10 pm, so we didn't have much time to catch up.  Big family dinner tonight so we can all rehash the last few days.  A highlight of my trip was walking down the street in Cleveland and a guy coming the other way smiles and says, "Hey Spareribs!" and keeps on walking. No idea who he was, but I have done tons of work over the years in that city, so I suppose it was someone from one of my programs who remembered the nickname.  These are usually runners. Made my day.

Big storms of course last night, hurricane Bill, so the park is partially flooded today. Still, the Saint and I found 3.5 miles to run okay..  Spareribs

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Ooh, I picked the right day to poke my head back in here! Those screenshots were so helpful, Slo_Hand! Typically what I've been doing is exporting the run data on Garmin Connect to a TCX file, then uploading it into the RunningAhead log, and that works fine on my desktop at home in NJ. But when I'm in our apartment in Boston (as I am this week), all I have is my iPad, and file uploads like that don't work. But what's the next step? I connected my account, so how does the data actually get "pushed" into the RA log? I seem to be missing something....

After a month of nothing but double digit running (paces, not mileage), I did my first tempo run today, where I was required to do 8:20-8:30 for the three middle miles of a five mile run. Going into it was a bit scary, since I'm forever plagued with the dread of not being able to run fast enough. But Coach knows me (and my abilities) better than I know myself, so I have to trust her. I was actually a little too fast on the third tempo mile, and I had to laugh at myself for it. One of these days I'll finally learn to believe in myself, but until then, I'll just keep believing her. Wink

Nice to see everyone here!

I, too, picked the right day to pop in here.  Jay's screen shots - I gotta give that a try when I get home tonight.  If it works, you'll be my newly anointed hero.

Ribs - That's pretty cool that someone in a different city recognized you.

I haven't been around for awhile (really - in case nobody noticed ).  Between work at work and work at home, I'm running myself a little ragged.  But there's not much I can do about either at this point, so I'm hitchin' up my big girl pants and soldiering on.

Next Friday I drive over to Sacramento, pick my up my buddy, Karen, and 2 of her Portland running compadres at the Sac airport, and then we head to Auburn to volunteer at the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run.  We'll be working at the river crossing, and since we're working and not crewing, we'll get to see all the runners come through, even the front runners.  They figure the front runners will come through between 4:00 and 4:30 p.m. and the last runner around 5:00 a.m.  This is going to be so much fun!!

Enjoy the rest of your Thursday ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good day to pop in here yes!  I have not used my wireless Garmin connection for down- (or is it up-) loading my data to my computer.  I got a new computer and haven't figured out how to set it up for this (although admittedly, I haven't even tried).

4.3 miles in the hood this am.  I am switching sides of the road a few times during the run so that I am not always running on a left side down canted road.  I think that will help my knee issue greatly.

I just started seeing a new door I like.  Number 32 or 33 or something like that.  Yes, I still have the spreadsheet going!  Date # 3 coming up this weekend.  I really like this guy - very easy going and down to earth, very lean from cycling (makes me feel blimpish).  He is riding STP (Seattle to Portland) in a few weeks, so no slouch.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Uh oh...a cyclist...

"Hi" to OM and fatozzig.  NIce speed/hills, Mike.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s, there was a light wind, and it was a bit humid.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:11 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Wish I could figure out why my Garmin Connect doesnt work at all -- then maybe these other steps would help!

Hi OM and fatozigg -- it was great seeing you for lunch yesterday Esther!!

Last night did the Try the Tri that I volunteered at last week. Messed up hitting the stop/lap button on each leg so my info doesnt mean much, but felt good to put all 3 sports together for a practice before Patriot! Love our little mini sprint tri's and how we foster the newbies and the practice atmosphere!! This week my son volunteered after setting the course record last Wed. He will be coming down to the race with his fiancee to support and cheer us all on - so happy to have one of my sons involved!!

Happy Thursday!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

This week my son volunteered after setting the course record last Wed. He will be coming down to the race with his fiancee to support and cheer us all on - so happy to have one of my sons involved!!

That's awesome...in many different ways.