Masters Running

Thursday runs & stuff ,weather you liked it or not (Read 533 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

I think I spend a LOT of time in "no man's land" as far as pacing goes. I tend to go out and for the most part run how my legs feel like running that day. Sometimes I surprise myself. I also find my pace dictated a lot by terrain, and my "average pace" some days doesn't really mean much.
    I usually just run for fun at whatever pace feels good, too. But much slower than Erika. Tongue I also find that high altitude, terrain (hills and rough trails) and snow running affect my pace a lot, so I don't worry about what pace I "should" be running. I know for some of you, H&H plays a big part, too. I don't know if any of the pace calculators take any of these things into consideration or if you just apply some kind of rule of thumb. All my race PRs have been at high altitude, some on hilly courses, and some on mostly downhill courses, so it's really hard to use them for good predictions on other kinds of terrain. Today's run (5 miles at lunchtime, 34F) felt like a tempo-ish effort but was a little slower than my typical tempo run (10:22 avg pace, 9:57 fastest mile). But I was running in yaktrax on packed snow so I think my pace would have been faster with the same perceived effort on dry ground. Twocat, sorry to hear you're in the non-running club again. I agree with your comments about a layoff from running being far better than a whole lifetime on the couch. Nono, happy 2nd birthday to your son! Meg,Lou, and Erika (and you other fast runners) - I wish you'd stop complaining that you did your run a little too fast! Even when I really push it, I always seem to run slowly. Those of you in the PNW, enjoy the snow! Ribs, good luck at the Jogger Egg Nogger - I love spiked egg nog!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I should never have complained about my slow 11 mpm pace, because now it's more like 12 mpm in the snow! Sigh. I get frustrated. I so want to run faster! My legs just don't have it in them, though. Oh, well!
        I usually just run for fun at whatever pace feels good, too. But much slower than Erika. I also find that high altitude, terrain (hills and rough trails) and snow running affect my pace a lot, so I don't worry about what pace I "should" be running. I know for some of you, H&H plays a big part, too. I don't know if any of the pace calculators take any of these things into consideration or if you just apply some kind of rule of thumb. All my race PRs have been at high altitude, some on hilly courses, and some on mostly downhill courses, so it's really hard to use them for good predictions on other kinds of terrain.
        Child, as much as I dislike heart rate monitors, I suspect that this is where they really come in handy. If you know what your HR should be at tempo, for instance, you can just pay attention to HR. You don't have to worry about pace.

Once a runner . . .

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

hey posie, I'm stuck inside too but plan to be on the x-c's tonight and, the way the weather is going, through the weekend too. The white stuff sure makes the city beautiful though. I'll have to figure out a way to make timmi think I'm still suffering through taper time but, if there's one thing I'm sure of for me, it's that snow wasn't put on the earth to run on <>skiing/skiing)>>> but, hummm, I wonder if I could run a barefoot mile in it, . . . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, I think snow is WONDERFUL to run on! Crunch crunch.... It's the ice I don't like.
              Out at 4:30 am for 9 miles at GA-like 9:36 pace which is about a minute and a half off my 5k pace, and falls into the category of comfortably hard. Although that has always seemed like a misnomer to me. Ribs' non-race 5k pace is starting to approach my race 5k pace. I'm sure he will be happy when he is running faster than me, and it won't be long now.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Child, as much as I dislike heart rate monitors, I suspect that this is where they really come in handy. If you know what your HR should be at tempo, for instance, you can just pay attention to HR. You don't have to worry about pace.
                For what it's worth, I have seen my speed and stamina greatly increase since training by HR. I wish I had known about it from the beginning. I've been greatly surprised by my progress.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Oh I know they are great tools and I should use one. I even own one that I used for awhile before getting injured with a stress fracture. I just found that I was always looking at my HR and not really enjoying my runs as much. I also had issues staying in range when it was hot and humid. I'd get a lot of upward drift and would have to walk to get my HR down. Then I'd have a difficult time on tempo too because my HR would not go up until at least a mile into the tempo if I ran what was supposed to be tempo pace. I also turned out to be one of those people who have a very small HR range, which made it even more difficult to try to stay within the right range. Anyway, I probably should try again.

Once a runner . . .

Meg - We had some humid days here that killed me re the HR. I really had to slow down. Re the small HR range, right now I work on keeping my HR between 150-160. However, I have my alarm set to go off at 170. This is mostly for trail running. When I hit 170, I know I'm pushing things too hard and need to back off, but I don't find that sneaking over the 160 mark causes me any real difficulties.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

My hearing was just continued as the State didn't subpoena the cop. SO I have a few minutes. I'm cutting back both in terms of distance and pace this month. So just 4 at lunch at over 9 minute per mile pace. It's 16 here, better than it's been and better than the weekend will be. Frank does not like the cold. He limps and puts his head down until we turn for home, then picks it up to a trot and shakes his head as if he's got a mane. He is very much enjoying his fleece blanket and we seem to have convinced the twocats to stay off his bed. I think I'm feeling a bit aimless. Having been first on the quest to get to Titanium level and 10 Maniac Stars, and then onto complete 50 States and DC, I'm used to having more structure or goals that led to structure. Also a little down....we take turns at the Mental Hosp. doing the commitment hearings (we represent the folks the State deems dangerous to themselves or others). This is my month, so I'm there in the mornings. As you might imagine, there are a lot of suicide attempts at this time of year. Better me than the folks in the office with little ones, so I usually volunteer for Dec. Still, it is a different world to step into every morning. We take our good health for granted, but we also take being {relatively} sane for granted as well. There are uplifting, humbling moments. I can't compromise client confidentiality, but I will change a few things and use no names of course, to tell you about a wonderful spouse. The format may be choppy as I keep it in general but I hope you find a bit of an uplift here. This person's partner has a chronic mental illness. When on meds, the partner is a gifted, funny person, has a graduate degree and is a devoted parent. When off, however, the person has delusions, including thinking themself God. They have more than 5 children and because of the partner's mental illness, the person has to work --the job is not an easy one, counseling people who are in a particular kind of difficulty. It is not uncommon for people with this type of mental illness to periodically stop taking their medication. Since I've been in this job, nearly 5 years, I have represented this person before, as have my colleagues. It's called cyclic behavior and will probably continue for the rest of their lives. Every time, the partner is there at the hearing. The partner also works with the psychiatrists and staff and with quiet assurance and grace. This last time, the Chairman of the Hearing Board remarked to me that while we see a lot of different people in our work, he thought the partner was perhaps in that small circle of people who deserve to be compared to saints in our midst. I totally agreed. Whatever your beliefs, I trust most of you believe in some sort of spirituality that is perhaps beyond our understanding. You never know when you will get a glimpse of something that reflects that in the daily grind of your day-to-day routine. It truly is a gift to reflect upon. DH had his first download earlier this week. Every few months he now has to go in and have his ICD hooked up to a computer. He then proceeds to generate pages of printouts that basically reveal to the doctor his activity level, varying heartrates, battery usage, etc. etc. for every waking (and sleeping) minute. It's something to get your head around. Little did we know when we named Petey that he'd turn out to be a blabbermouth. What if he's KGB? [Is that even still an agency?] At any rate, I aspire to the grace of my client's spouse. I'm still in the minor leagues on that score, but I'm trying. grins, A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        ^^^Keep posting like that, we'd all follow you ANYWHERE. Wow. Just...wow. You're amazing, Amy.
                        evanflein

Aamos, you are a very special person. We're all very fortunate to know you here on the board and your DH is a very lucky man indeed. I have several HRM's, but hardly ever use them. Like Mary I have a pretty high max HR... never had it tested but my HRM can read in the upper 170s and I don't feel like I'm working too hard. When it gets into the 180's, then I can tell I'm working pretty hard. And comparing HR to pace... well, coming back up the hill to home I know my HR is pretty high, probably what would be in the tempo pace range, but my actual pace is closer to what I'd normally call easy, or 9 m/m. So... not sure how that works when you're trying to run a certain pace based on HR... Took a bit longer lunch break today and ran 5 on the club treadmill. Even though I had the pace set for 8:49 or 8:41, the overall pace for the run ended up at 8:50. I'm not sure how that works... those treadmills seem a little strange somehow.
                          xor

I think I'm feeling a bit aimless. Having been first on the quest to get to Titanium level and 10 Maniac Stars, and then onto complete 50 States and DC, I'm used to having more structure or goals that led to structure.
                            You can't possibly be aimless. You're Aim-y. Well, you could do 10 stars again... but I'll just tell you now that it may not be that fulfilling. I understand what you mean in general. This is why some people start focusing on 50 and 100 milers. That ain't for me, though so... hmmm... I thought about provinces, countries, continents. Nah. I dunno. I think I'm going to run a lot more halves. Maybe I can run as fast as you in a half. There is no KGB, but there's something similar.

Wonderful story, Amy. Thanks for sharing. It takes truly special people to live day in and day out with mental illness, but it also takes special people to do what you're doing. It's not easy representing the mentally impaired, and admire those who do. Thank you.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Great discussion today, Not that I am any kind of pro but I know that if I don't shake things up once in a while I get into a running rut and it seems like every run is the same pace. That being said I also believe we amatures need to be careful in our miliage build up not to try and do speed and milage increases at the same time for to long. I find that when I do switch to just a little speed work( and I do mean a little )as I hardly ever do track work or intervals usually just faster pace runs such as tempos and fartllicks. My times come down quickly and the strength from the long slow runs and hill work really pays off. I don't worry about speed until I have a race that I am actually training for. No mans land may be for real but anytime I am running I feel I am doing some good. Maybe its because I am not particularly fast anyway or maybe I am not fast because I don't worry about all of this more often. What the heck I just like to run 3 miles at a fairly fast pace Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down