Masters Running

Tuesday back-to-work runs, etc. (Read 624 times)

I took my running shorts out of the dryer this morning...turns out they have a hole in them. I now have a funny feeling that a few Vermonters might know me a little too well, or at least the brand of my compression shorts.

2 miles EZ this chilly AM.....felt pretty good at the end.

Good day to all!

Walt

Slo

Good Morning Walt......Again, very nice race !

I got in 8.36 miles. 26 mins of that at a 7:37 pace.......good solid run. everything else is easy except for a few striders on Friday. I'll be doing my 1st 20k.

Now, after a weekend of lots of eating and drinking it's back to healthier habits. Damn there was alot of graduation cake consumed this weekend!........I really don't care to see any more Red and Black Frosting!

Good runs all !

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

At least you had compression shorts on

Out in a nice, brisk morning--only 45.  Not sure of times or distance as I was too slow to download before leaving for work.  All I know is that the stoopid HRM didn't work again and my stoopid knee started to tinge at the end.  I know I'm been very undedicated about quad exercise and this is my knee's way of letting me know.

Slo--I've got that coming up with my DD in a couple of weeks.  BTW--great picture from sometime earlier in the weekend.  Want to borrow my baseball bat to keep the boys away?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Renee the dog

Out with Renee in 3 nor'easter blustery miles.  Stood at the door before heading out and Bayside said, "You may just want to run on the treadmill" as our tree out front bent over to touch its roots.   I thought about it and said, "Hey what if race day's like this?"  And with that, the decision was made to go.

Thank goodness I went.  It was a blast out there!  Other than having some trashcans blow over,chase us down the street, and spook Renee...but she got used to it.   Went with the wind out and against coming back -- I'm weird, I know. At a couple points on the return, I could literally lean into the wind and be completely held up.  I had a mental picture of the gust suddenly stopping and me landing on my face! I laughed so hard I'm sure the diners, at the restaurant's plate glass window I was passing, thought I was nuts.   

Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

Goog morning gang,

We've been getting a ton of rain lately...H&H here this morning.

10.17 miles of hills @ 9:05 pace...back to the start of a work week.

Good runs everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo

Out with Renee in 3 nor'easter blustery miles. Stood at the door before heading out and Bayside said, "You may just want to run on the treadmill" as our tree out front bent over to touch its roots. I thought about it and said, "Hey what if race day's like this?" And with that, the decision was made to go.
              Way to go Nono.......Thats the spirit......Screw those fair weather racers.....those are the days winners are made !
                Good morning everyone. No holes in my shorts but planning on an EZ run at lunch. Didn't get up this morning in time to do anything. Missed my weight workout . But I was just exhausted from about 15 hours of landscaping I did over the weekend. I did manage a 4.5 mile run Saturday morning before landscaping for about 9 hours. The shin held up well. I took Aleve twice Friday and it seemed to calm things down a bit. I also broke out my DS Trainers to see if they made a difference (I was running in Landreths with Superfeet Greens in them). Felt good so I'm going to run in them again today.

Good runs everyone.

Also, I just gotta a vent a little. I hate all this landscaping I have to do. But man, hiring a landscaper would cost $2,000 to $3,000. YIKES!!! I lost 3 lbs Saturday. But boy does the front of my house look nice now. . Now I just gotta get the back and side yards done. Gotta do it myself and save my $ for Las Vegas bachelor party in August.

MTA: ARGHHH!!. Lunch time meeting is ruining my plans for a lunch time run.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

9 easy-paced miles for me today (ave 10:01) in 66 very humid degrees.  My legs were still tired from Sunday’s LR, so I didn’t push pace. 

I wear my bushy hair in a pony tail when I run, and now that I’m running in short sleeves again, I find that the tips of my hair whipping against the back of my bare arms is highly annoying.  Today I braided the ponytail, but took it down shortly into my run because the thwack, thwack of my thick braid hitting the back of my shoulders was even MORE annoying.  (sigh)

We recently bought DS a junior membership at a golf course near our home, and yesterday he and I played 9 holes, while DD rode in the cart.  This was the first time I had been golfing since before DD was born, and I had forgotten how much fun it is.  We finished up about 20 over par, with DS beating me by one stoke, but that’s a lot better than I expected after so long (not that I was any good even when I played more).

A woman named Ingrid owns a hair salon in my office building.  Ingrid, a fit and attractive woman who looks 10 years younger than her 60 years, has run 60+ marathons and 70+ ultra-marathons, including at least five 100-milers, since she started running at age 38.  I saw that she is also running a trail race I have in a couple weeks, and stopped at her shop on Friday to ask her advice about it, since I have never run on trails and she holds the course record for this race in the grand master division.  A couple of interesting tidbits from our conversation:

1.  To help prevent blisters on her feet, she sprays them all over with freezing spray (a super-strong hairspray) before she puts her socks on.  I bought some and tried this before my 22-miler this weekend.  Although I didn’t like the sticky feeling on my toes initially (you have to wait for it to dry), I did not get any blisters under my toenails in the usual spots.

2.  Re: rainy weather.  Rain during long races is usually intermittent, so she says don’t take off your rain shell when you get a break.  Instead, unzip about 2/3’s, fold it down, then tie the arms in front of you.  Later, if it starts raining again, you can just fold the coat up again.

Very kewl.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning.

First of all thank you all for your kind words of condolence last week.   Things are slowly getting easier, but it will be a long road of healing for my DH.

Yesterday I got out with my neighbor for 5 miles which felt pretty good as she pushes me.  This morning it was another 4 with Brinkley in a nice soft cleansing rain.  9:36 pace - 163 avg. HR

We said good bye to 5 puppies over the weekend too, and the remaining 5 will all go this coming Saturday.

I hope to catch up with everything around here in the next day or two.

I got Emmit all tired out before his long car ride to New York:

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

Looks like we are all back to a normal routine today, led off by Flasher Walt.

5.5 easy for me today on the dirt.  Flex workout later on.  Spareribs

deez, congrats on your tri.  jlynne, it was nice that your son got home for a visit.  henrun, I'm glad to hear your PF is much better.  jlynne, congrats on 3rd in AG in your race.  Ilene, good job on your half.

Nice long runs for wild, srlopez, and Peter.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and a bit windy.  I got in 12 miles in a bit under 2:03 for a 10:14 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Posted by Walt: "I took my running shorts out of the dryer this morning...turns out they have a hole in them. . .

chilly AM.....felt pretty good at the end."

Mary - Will miss the puppy pictures!

EG - I didn't do that much yard work, but I'm getting there.  Ticked The Hub off by planting stuff along the fence line.  His gripe is it will be a pain when mowing.  My comment - Oh well!  I have grand plans for my front and back yards, however, execution is a problem since I stink at the whole "design" thing.

Holly - You ever thought about goin' short wit the hair???

Yesterday was my first run in a week, and although it was a forced rest, it was a testament to never underestimating the power of rest when you're exhausted.  It was the easiest 3 miles I've done in a long time.

Today was 5 miles with 5 hill repeats.  Should've done 10, but there were other, um, issues that had to be addressed.  And let me tell you, that 1/2 mile to Safeway was a long one!

Have a great day, folks

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

jlynne, congrats on your 3 AG. YOU are awesome girl.

Miss forward, your Half Marathon RR is mighty short. Missing some key info such as time and most importantly the fashion report.

blisters are soemthing new to my world. I use balga socks and the only time I did not use them I got 3 nasty blisters Sad...I was running faster in that particular race also, maybe there is a correlation with the two thing. I dislike blisters to no end, so before my next speedy training cycle I have to find out how to deal with them.

Resting today and jut lavishing on the memories of my weekend event. I may go out this afternoon, if I feel like it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Re: Tim.  I have exchanged several e-mails with him in the last few days.  He is unable to get onto RA since the recent changes were made.  He has webtv, and has e-mailed Eric Yee, and Eric has told him that all webtv users are having problems and he is trying to remedy that.  Tim is understandably depressed, and missing RA a lot.  He gave me permission to pass on his e-mail address, which is biketm42 at webtv dot net.   If anyone is so inclined, I think he would be happy to hear from his friends here at RA.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

I could literally lean into the wind and be completely held up.  I had a mental picture of the gust suddenly stopping and me landing on my face! I laughed so hard I'm sure the diners, at the restaurant's plate glass window I was passing, thought I was nuts.   

Holly, howabout a bathing cap?   ;-)

Hi Mary,  I bet it's hard to see them go.   That's such a sweet picture.  I want to hold him.  Please let your DH know how sorry I am.

Thinking about Sue today.... I wonder what time the service is. 

Sue, I'm also sorry about the loss of your friend, how sad.  I'd missed that Friday as I raced through the thread.

Ribs,  good to hear about your back.  What a relief!

George.. looks like your setback was a short one.  yay!

I'm waiting to say much about the weekend till Byll posts his report.. don't want to steal his thunder.  (notice Steve & I with  ??).   But Steve, I just noticed your comment Friday... thanks.  It was great to meet you & Tag.    Steve kindly stayed to keep me company while I inhaled the pasta dinner....then drove me around so I could see the course.  Tag entertained me with his tricks.  He's one of the best natured dogs I've ever met.   That's all  for now. 

Well, the plan called for 5 today but I only ran 4.  ±9.59 av. pace, ±8.59 max.  My trip free injury free plan has  been postponed just a little.  Sunday on my favorite path off the path by the river I tripped again, & caught myself as usual. This time over a tree root.  Which is, in a sense, progress. Smile    But 4 was the limit, I was happy to do that.   Ok.   honest?   I'm really mad.   There, now I feel much better.  It's just temporary anyway.  .