Masters Running

40s+ On the Run: New Month, New Super Bowl Champ (Wk Ending 02/07/09) (Read 401 times)

flatland mountaineer

Lynda joined me in the basement weight room this morning. Nice of you to run with your sick friend Arla. Good job SR.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Morning, All - SRL - Very funny! Big grin I'll have to ask the doc if that's what he uses. Got up too late to drive to my fartlek area, so I opted for my own version of speed work this a.m. Warmed up for 2 miles (takes a long time for my ankle to feel loose these days), then 2 miles of speed work consisting of running fairly hard for 2 blocks, recovery walk/slow jog for 1 1/2-2 blocks, repeat, then 2 miles home. With the walking/slow jogging ended up with a 10:16 ap. Solid lead legs for the last mile. Don't know what's going on, except maybe I'm not eating enough carbs right now. Av/Best/HR 1. 10:38/8:52/132 2. 10:31/9:23/149 3. 9:51/6:53/156 4. 10:34/6:55/150 5. 10:04/7:37/155 6. 9:56/7:29/156 Suppose to get to 68 degrees here in the ole North Coast today Confused , but we shall see if it actually happens. Shoot, we don't get those kinds of temps in the summer let alone winter. Think I'm gonna go home tonight and see if I can do a rain dance. ------------- Work Dead at Desk for Five Days (NY Times) Bosses of a publishing firm are trying to work out why no one noticed that one of their employees had been sitting dead at his desk for five days before anyone asked if he was feeling okay. George Turklebaum, 51, who had been employed as a proof-reader at a New York firm for 30 years, had a heart attack in the open-plan office he shared with 23 other workers. He quietly passed away on Monday, but nobody noticed until Saturday morning when an officer cleaner asked why he was working during the weekend. His boss, Elliott Wachiaski, said: "George was always the first guy in each morning and the last to leave at night, so no one found it unusual that he was in the same position all the time and didn't say anything. He was always absorbed in his work and kept much to himself." A post mortem examination revealed that he had been dead for five days after suffering a coronary. George was proofreading manuscripts of medical textbooks when he died. You may want to give your co-workers a nudge occasionally. The moral of the story: Don't work too hard. Nobody notices anyway.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - good to hear that they can lap you. Must mean it's not too angry...it's a teensy organ, really, unless it's all inflamed and infected. My anatomy students have a hard time finding it (albeit this is in a pig or cat so a bit smaller than in humans). SR - I knew I should've had your beer. Wink Arla

Ex runner

The following is the blog of a fellow trail runner I follow. Check out the pics he received from someone in Ontario, Canada, from a recent snow storm. ShockedShockedShocked Breakheart Trail Running

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Wow! Now that's some snow right there, I tell you what. Hey 40s+....some nice runs and workouts. I just got back from a nice 6 miler @ 10:31 pace. Very nice weather in beautiful OK. Really could use some rain though. We've been having wildfires. Lucky for us the areas affected are fairly remote and easy to get to. Not like the hills mountains and valleys of CA.....with homes and such. But still it's a drain on the local resources. And the farmers and ranchers have stock and equipment out there. Luckily no structures were destroyed. Could see more of the same the next few days. My neice just had her GB taken out. 3 (or was it 4) very small incisions....it was an outpatient procedure. Good luck fatozzig.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hi All, Good race for Arla and SR. Leslie-hope that's quick and painless. Only 4 little inches of snow on the bike path during tonight's 8 miler with more coming down. It's sooo quiet when it's snowing like that. Contrast that with the heat wave (47* in shorts and t-shirt) during Sunday's 16m LR . Have a fine week my Forty Friends!!!

Ultrachick

Quick Hi! to everyone. The usual kid stuff going on-sports, grades and misuse of a cell phone. Anatomy has begun and I'm always feeling like I'm behind-already have some papers that need to be written. And looking for work! I may have struck gold-I interviewed for a trainer position at a club today where I would be walking into an established clientele list to take over. I'd be crazy to pass this up. I haven't been officially offered the job yet but the owner didn't have any reasons not to hire me. He's interviewing other trainers as well so we'll see. I'll let you know what happens-keep running! Kelly Jim, I saw your comment about my tele skiing the bumps-they were small bumps-you know where a trail is half bumps and half smooth? I was on the the first row into them from the smooth side so I could bail as necessary. I was also using them to practice a maneuver called 'stemming', basically a wedge turn with a tele finish. A way to walk yourself down a steep trail if you can't ski it-a very handy skill to have in the backcountry. Smile Sorry guys I didn't read all the posts-I'm trying to stay on task so I'm not always getting everything done at the last minute. Miss you all!
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                  Kelly - Good luck with the job!!!!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Fingers crossed for Kelly! That would be so cool! Leslie ~ you too (fingers crossed that all goes well w/your surgery!) & that it solves your stomach troubles! Although, ya know that some of your DH's BBQ fare will no longer be as "appetizing" Tight lipped DD had hers out a few yrs ago, now looks longingly @ french fries & such.... ......On the other topic, coincidentally, I just read a piece on Redfield, NY - located just East of Lake Erie, which has an "average" annual snowfall of 300"! as does some parts of the central Co. Mtns Cool....I remember having winter snowfalls like that when I was a kid in Northern Iowa/Southern Minnesota....pre-snowblower! Tongue but loads of fun for kids!! Ahhh Joe! love that kind of run the best (silent snowfall) & the best time for it is definitely evening! Wink Jim: You working w/free weights? we have a Crossbow (Sears version of Bowflex) in the basement that I just haven't really "bonded" with as yet.... Embarrassed Ev: Enjoy! Looks like we have a few more days of the Springlike weather on deck! S'posed to hit near 70* here tomorrow....course, I'll be "upstairs" where it'll only be 45* Cool So, what's next SuperWoman Arla? Big grin Carol: Sounds like you're gonna be all kinds of "comfy-ready" by race day! Wink Excellent! Cool Jewels: Hope the knee is behaving for you!..... Me & Mairead have been getting out for some little loops (I keep forgeting to log some..)...warmer, but breezy...good thing we were down here though ....wind gusts up by the mtn house day before yesterday hit near 80mph!! I don't wanna even drive in that!!..... Now, I think I've shared that Mairead tends to be a little overly timid about some things (she's getting better overall)...there is a house 4 down from us that we need to pass to get to the trail for our runs that has two large dogs behind a wooden privacy fence...these two go nuts (if they're outside) when we pass - even if we're on the other side of the street! poor Andy has had to replace several boards since I took up running! they're very apologetic & try to redirect them when they're home & catch them doing it. I can't start running till after I pass the fence, or if I'm doing hill repeats/block laps, I may have to stop & walk past that section...when they charge the fence, Mairead freaks & pulls away from it pretty hard. 100 lb dog tied to my waist....I can see a yard sale happening! So, yesterday as we're heading out, I see Nancy with both dogs on leads come out of their house heading for the same trail....hmmmm.....she & I quickly came to the decision to walk the three together for awhile & see how it goes (she wants to get back into running again but isn't quite ready-especially w/the two together!) It went rather well! A little over two hilly meandering miles & the dogs barely acknowleged each other! Then we dropped her & her crew off @ their house & Mairead & I headed out for another loop - easy run this one. But, as we passed the fence coming back, there they were! barking & carrying on as usual! Roll eyes guess we should consider regular group dog walks!.... unless I can convince her to run w/me! Wink hmmmm Cindy
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

3.1 started kinda sucky then got much better, gorgeous warm weather. Cindy good to hear from you. Poor Mairead having to deal with those other dogs, but sounds like the owners are trying and things will work out. As far as the weights I have a hodgepodge of freeweights, and dumbells, with benches, a leg machine, squat rack, dumbell rack all of which I made of scrap iron, even use some old rod weeder gears as weights. Its a pretty "farmy" setup but it works. Kelly good luck on the job front. I would like to see someone do that "stemming techniqe", maybe that is what Ed was doing. I know I did alot of Side slipping and skidding to get whoaed up enough to get through narrow trees safely. We stayed on pretty low angle stuff. Joe those snow runs can be almost surreal. pretty dang cool Ev supposed to be 61 here today, unreal in Feb!! Hi to everyone else!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Cindy - Sounds like the neighbors dogs are pretty territorial if they were fine when walking. On Saturdays, sometimes I get to listen to a pet behaviorist. Wonder what he would say about all this . . . . Also, we have a Bowflex. It and I have a sort of love/hate relationship, too. I feel like I get a better workout with my free weights, but I feel guilty not using the BF since we spent the money on it. Re the GB removal and food - Are you telling me your DD can't eat French fries anymore??? Shocked . . . I may have to rethink this . . . . FJ - Love your "farmy" weights set up. You do whatcha gotta do, and it sounds like it works just fine for you. Hey, post a pic! I'm in the middle of a mini-taper with the Clam Beach Run coming up on Saturday. We're suppose to get rain tonight and tomorrow, but hopefully it's not so much that the creek crossing is armpit high. Anyway, 3 miles this a.m., and what a beautiful crisp, clear morning it was, with an absolutely stunning sunrise. 9:56/8:25/136 9:13/7:31/156 9:16/7:22/155 I feel like I'm really struggling through this mileage, but then when I get home and look at the numbers, they ain't so bad. The cold is definitely messing with my lungs and asthma, though. Yesterday for my 6 miles I had to use my inhaler numerous times, and today at least 3 times - both not counting the use before I leave the house. Evil grin

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

ev - nice runs, nice weather - doesn't get better than that! Kelly - good news on the job front, sounds like a plum! Jim - heh, love the description of the gym... Cindy - the adventures of Mairead - what a hoot! Leslie - man, I can't believe your docs haven't told you this, yeah, you have to watch your fat intake from surgery date on. (Putting on anatomy/physiology instructor's hat)... your liver will still make bile (which is an emulsifier, sort of like soap, basically it disrupts the fat into smaller bits that can be dealt with by your intestinal tract), but it won't be released on an as-needed basis (that's the job of the gall bladder - when you eat foods that contain fat, the gall bladder contracts, releasing the stored bile), but rather the bile is released at a slow, steady rate. So you can absorb enough fat to get the fat-soluble vitamins you need, but a large order of fries is definitely out...you'll have to ask the docs exactly how much fat you can handle in one sitting. Hopefully they also told you that you may have some side effects of surgery for some time, which can include gas, and diarrhea OR constipation...that should all go away (hat off). One more nice day today, off to get a short run in... Arla

Ex runner

So you can absorb enough fat to get the fat-soluble vitamins you need, but a large order of fries is definitely out...you'll have to ask the docs exactly how much fat you can handle in one sitting. Hopefully they also told you that you may have some side effects of surgery for some time, which can include gas, and diarrhea OR constipation...that should all go away (hat off).
                            Yes, I knew about the side affects as my friend, Karen, had her's removed and told me it takes the system awhile to figure out what's going on. As far as how and what you're able to eat afterward, no, that wasn't explained. Guess it's a whole new weight loss plan. Wink The thing that kills me right now is I've felt great since Sunday. Figures. Evil grin

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

....Back from this surreal Springy morning 5 sproinky miles in 63* F, calm, oh-so-clear...only thing marring the perfect blue skies is jet trails... the ridge of snow capped peaks to the West! jammin to Santana Yes one O' them days that I hate having a huge list of other things to do! Sad (neighbor dogs only gave a token bark whilst we were passing today... Wink) Yep, Leslie - that's what I meant (thanks for the more detailed explanation, Arla!) Jim: Big grin we keep dragging around these old sand weights that we've had since before dirt..... Tongue prolly should use em now & again Embarrassed
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                                Afternoon all...... Good luck Kelly on that job! People are being layed off left and right around here. It is really sad times right now for a lot of people. Jim......a hodgepodge of weights sounds like you'll never get bored. Weights are weights......those good ole fashioned benches and free weights are a super workout! Good for you and Lynda. Your getting in some decent runs as well so woot, woot to you. Leslie, the pace on your runs have been very steady and whatever you are doing keep it up. It is all working and coming together. Your workouts are great and your runs have been consistent! Have fun this weekend at your Clam Run. Enjoy......your surgery is right around the corner. Go buy yourself a couple of good books..... Arla, nice runs for you! When is your next race? I think you mentioned the SF marathon? Anything else in the horizon? Ev.....glad your shins are back to normal and you are getting in some nice runs! How is Mrs. Ev doing with her runs? Joe, way to go on the 16-mile LR Sunday! Cindy, nice hearing from you. I bet Mariread knows long before she gets near that one house that it is the scary one! Does she start to show "signs" a few houses before? Dogs are so smart.......nice runs for you in calm weather vs. 80 mph. Jeez....that would blow me away! How's Salty doing? Shout out to Carol....... Doing nothing this week except babying my knee......I'm even afraid to go to the gym. Don't want to tweak anything. Just taking it easy this week and then back to the normal runs/gym routine next week. The weather is suppose to break some crazy record tonight. Below freezing temperatures.......Brrrrrr, then the weekend should be back to normal......... mid 70's, just in time for my race! Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee