Masters Running

Monday Post Holiday Runs and Stuff (Read 511 times)

Good morning good people! It's still a holiday for a lot of you, but it's back to normal here. Kids are back in school and it's a long stretch until their next break so I'm sure there will be some crabby faces this morning. Not channeling my inner Erika, at 16° with 20 mph winds, I wimped out and went to the Y. 5 miles on the eliptical and 1 mile on the treadmill. My knee is still not "okay" and I'm not going to push it, because I'm too smart Smile

Great posts yesterday. Nice to see Hallar back. Econo, add me to the list of weight loss people. Hoping for at least 5 by March and would like more.

Great football game yesterday, and even though it was long (almost 4 hours), it wasn't too bad. Lots of people still celebrating New Year's, and some guy jumped a fence and ran onto the football field. A Packer player tackled him, then the police handcuffed him and hauled him off. I hope he had bail money!

Have a great Monday everyone.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

0530. 41F and falling. 4 miles mostly by myself. The rest ran or did a run/walk (rs) and then swam. It's a cut-back week for me.

Hi Jlynne! Glad you had a good time at the football game. Once again, the Browns disappointed us. Too many dropped passes. As we say every year, "There's always next year."  The r.s. predicts Superbowl for them.  He predicted that last year, too. Hooray for eternal optimism!  

Go Hokies!

(hi dAAve) 

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

Hi all,

4 very easy miles this morning, getting the kinks out after yesterday's 5K.

On Friday evening, DN1 (age 23) told her cousin, DN2 (age 14) that they were both going to be running in the local New Year's Day 5K. DN2 (a swimmer with very limited running experience) protested, but #1 was not going to let #2 off the hook. By the time New Year's morning came around, all 8 of us were registered. #1 and #2 ran together; DW and DN3 (DN2's younger sister) ran/walked together; SIL and husband (#2 & 3's parents) walked; DN1's husband ran, and I racewalked. DN2 did great, finishing in a little over 34 min. in her first-ever 5K. DW and DN3 finished in 40, having done more walking than running, but still had a great time. DN1's husband (a triathlete, as is DN1) finished in 19:40. And I finished in 30:03. It would have been a great time for me if my Garmin didn't let on that the course was short, measuring it at 2.97mi. At the shorter measure, my pace was 10:08 - still off that 10:00 mark I'm chasing. After I finished, I walked back up the course, and joined DN1 and DN2 in their sprints to the finish. We all agreed afterward that this should become a New Year's tradition, and I would love that!

Enjoy the day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Jay, that would be a great family tradition.  Good for you.

2.2 recovery miles with Lucy Von Sheltie at the park, very slow.  Feel great now.  Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

Our club has a race called Bold in the Cold.  This year we have added a half marathon to it, this making it the BITCH, or Bold in the Cold Half.  There was much controversy within the club as to whether we should have the race shirt have some cool saying like, "i ran the bitch," etc.  People were very divided on the subject.  Unfortunately, I was the instigator.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/01/this-race-is-going-to-be-a-bit.html

Mariposai

8 miles early morning. Now off to snowshoewing for the first time of my life!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

That is so wonderful Jay. A family that runs together.....

I'm with ya buehrle. Talk about disappointment. Our Colts finished off the season in spectacular fashion. Oh well. No one said being a fan would be easy.

I really enjoy those articles ribs. We should have something similar here in Indy. Thanks for sharing.

6.3 today. I'm back to a minimum of 10k per day. Looking forward to Disney this Sunday.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy New Year everyone!!

I ran every day last week, except for yesterday because we were under a winter storm warning and it was blowing like crazy out there.    I was off all of last week, so I'd take B'Nellie for a run and then pick up Brinkley for a mile walk with him.   He is doing great and using his leg about 80% of our walk time.  

Today is back to work day and it is sad because everyone else has the day off.   At least I get ABC on my office TV so I can watch MSU play though.  

Hallar is back?   Yeah!     I am on the weight loss list too .... DH is sending me to Florida the end of next month and I need to fit into my shorts.

Cheers!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Looking forward to Disney this Sunday.

Me too! Big grin Shocked

Yes, Jay, it really is a great thing when a family runs together. This is why I'm so happy MrOM has finally embraced running for real. Major gratitude here.

Rest day today. I think I finally get this taper thing, because I'd really prefer to be running today.

Doctor's appointment this afternoon, my three-month checkup with the plastic surgeon. We'll review if I need continue physical therapy and finally set the date for my revision surgery in early March. Gotta get on with my life and planning my races and all, ya know.

And speaking of which... just put in for the lottery for the NYC Marathon. OK universe, bring it!!

Have a wonderful day, all!

Yay!  We've got a good contingent for the "Me Minus Five by March" campaign.

I ate a sensible breakfast, did my PT exercises, and jogged to work.  A great start.  I also put a piece of paper on my refrigerator and, with a Sharpie, wrote my starting weight and the date.  OK then.

I am starting to understand my new cat, James T. Kirk.  After he uses the litterbox, he sprints laps around the house like a mad terror afterwards.  Some cats will announce their triumph by meowing...Captain Kirk celebrates by racing.

I am starting to understand my new cat, James T. Kirk.  After he uses the litterbox, he sprints laps around the house like a mad terror afterwards.  Some cats will announce their triumph by meowing...Captain Kirk celebrates by racing.

Big grin

Good luck with the lottery, OM!

Sounds like a fun day, Jay.

Rest day, although I'm suppose to do 15 min of core, which I will do later.  Right now I"m looking out my kitchen window at a very dark sky.  I should probably mow, but ye ole crystal ball says it ain't gonna happen. Black eye  Off to figure out some breakfast and read Ribs' article.

Later -

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Yay!  We've got a good contingent for the "Me Minus Five by March" campaign.

Oops, yes, forgot to say, count me in too!

...econo//.......congratulations on JamesTKirk's Poop-and-Run.......

we can always

learn alot by watching animals.

======

....20-degrees and bitter today........LIKE I CARE/////

another

25min trailrun crutch-assisted.

it was great.

poolrun tomorrow..............YOWZA///

.....................good running guys..............RunWithWhatYouGot.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

aka FlyingFinn

Jay, that's a great tradition idea.

Mari, have fun on the snowshoes! You're so lucky.

By some small miracle the scale didn't budge over the holidays, but I'd still like to lose 3 more before April.  Back to cleaner eating.

Leslie, how did your soup turn out yesterday? I'm making spicy black eyed pea soup today.

MrF and I went to the towpath this morning, T27, W22, recovery for me and regular for him. I got in 3.5 easy and he did 5.

Now I'm sweeping cat litter off the basement floor so the boyz can ride their training wheel bikes chasing DH around on his unicycle.

Have a great day everyone.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

JLynne, that was a terrible game. After all, the wrong team won (although the Lions' D deserved that loss!).

Jay, a great way to start a family tradition.

Econo, can guys join up too, or is this just for the distaff side?

Mary, you're not missing much outside today either. Cold and windy getting colder and windier on this side of the state.

Rose, what would be a suitable wager on tomorrow's Sugar Bowl game? Do you have a bet going with dAAve yet?

OM, I can feel your excitement about Disney even way over here. And by the way, you look just smashing in that photo you posted on FB recently.

I managed to get out this AM before it got even colder and windier, so had a 4-mile neighborhood run at an easy pace. I need to make a doctor's appointment for something routine this week, but I think now I'm going to have him look into the damage from that fall last week. It's still really sore, especially when I'm laying down trying to sleep. Angry

I hope everyone else is off to a good start to the New Year. Go Spartans! Go Blue!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"