Masters Running

Monday Post Holiday Runs and Stuff (Read 511 times)

Don't be silly, Roch!  Me Minus 5 (OK, it now has an acronym, so that makes it official -- MM5) is for both boys & girls.

Come March, when we've all MM5'ed, we'll set another date for a subsequent 5.  OK?

Elaine - The soup turned out good, and I'm hoping that by sitting overnight it gets better.  Roasted 6 potatoes (white and red), 4 carrots, couple of turnips, whole head of garlic, and a large onion.  Put that in a pot with some chicken broth, whole milk, a can of fire roasted tomatoes, and some store-bought roasted peppers.  Used the handheld motor to blend it so it's about half blended, half chunky, then added some balsamic vinegar, parm cheese, a little bit of LF sour cream, and seasoning to taste.  I made way too much, so will have to freeze it.

The can of fire-roasted tomatoes is my last.  Bummer!  Got them at the Grocery Outlet (aka Canned Food Store) a few months ago and haven't seen 'em there since.  Wish I'd bought all they had at the time.

Roch - Hope the doc's able to give you some answers.

Okay - I need to go scrub some toilets, vacuum some floors - generally, slave duty. Smile

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Bundled up and got 3 in this morning before running some errands and then its off to work.

Good luck to the "Me Minus 5" campaign. I need to do a lot more than that by march though if I have any hope of having a decent racing season. Although I may chime in when I'm down to my last five pounds. March 17th is my next race and I hope to lose at least  10 but secretly 15 pounds by then.

Hi Mary and Jlynne!!!!!!!

Perch,

I see you are moving to the great white north. Welcome ,and I am sure we will meet at a few races now that you are in the neighborhood. Didn't see exactly where though.

I look forward to catching up with everyone.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

OM - nice racing there! 

Forgot to post yesterday, it was a gorgeous, springlike day, in the 50's and mostly sunny.  Just unreal this time of year.  Anyway, I was itching to get out, even though I've got a nice little cold going and feel like crap.  But I didn't want to leave DD home alone (boys were out for a walk).

So 1 sweaty mile on the TM wishing I was outside.

As as I was cooling down from my one mile TM run by walking around the backyard, I noticed my daffodils have poked up!!  Holy carp!  I have never seen them this early.  Usually it is end of Jan to end of Feb.

My iPOD has lost its mind.  It will play, it will pause, but it won't turn off!  How unusual is that for an electronic device?  So, I leave it there, and it eventually runs out of power.  I guess I could charge it up every morning, or maybe just getting new one would be easier???  Smile

We had a good "run" together - I got it in 2006?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Jlynne

Elaine - The soup turned out good, and I'm hoping that by sitting overnight it gets better. 

The new year must bring on the urge to make soup. I made a batch last night as well. Tortellini soup with spicy Italian sausage, carrots, garlic, onions, zucchini, stewed tomatoes, green peppers, red wine and beeth broth. You simmer all those ingredients with a little basil salt and pepper, then add fresh tortellini at the end. Tastes even better the second day but I don't think it's lo-cal Wink Sure is good though.

Dave59

6 cold ones for me this morning (miles, not beers.)  Then I blew all my Christmas money (from my in-laws) on a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTX shoes.  They have a GORE-TEX lining that I am hoping will keep my feet warmer.  Supposed to be 10° tomorrow morning so maybe they will be put to the test.

Oh Boy!   Friends on the 5lb. weight loss goal!!!!     Thanks for posting this, Econo, and, naturally, count me in.  Yesterday I was joined by my three daughters, and one grandson, and we did a very casual 5K race.  How lucky can I get?  No PR for any of us, but we were there. This AM I did floor exercises. Have a good MM5, everyone!  Me Minus 5!

Marathon Maniac #957

Come March, when we've all MM5'ed, we'll set another date for a subsequent 5.  OK?

Memorial Day weekend, when the swimming pool opens and my family will expect me to appear in a bathing suit.....Shocked

So when is the official weigh-in for starting weight? 

Jay - I love that!

13 miles for me today: 7 in the morning outside in the windy 20's.  Then I stopped, made a big breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits, and pancakes for the family (just a biscuit and egg for me), then headed off to the grocery, then came back and ran 6 more on the TM watching Margin Call.

Enjoying my last work holiday for me until Memorial Day.....(sigh)......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Just stepped off the TM after an achy/sore 4.5 mile RAW and on to the scale.

MM5?  Yup, I'm in!

Hi everyone!

Daffs already, Enke?  I'm jealous...... it's going to be -15°C tomorrow here!

Might be seeing some grow in maybe late March.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

I am not even going to pretend to catch up.  I hope everybody had a great new year's celebration!

Jlynne the cold gods are coming even things out for us here in the northeast.  Tomorrow and Wednesday the highs are going to be in the 20's.  Yikes!

coastwalker my head is still spinning from trying to keep track of who was who in that post!  But it seems like all the chips worked and you all got through the race happy and properly recorded.  Oh yea, Garmins are not accurate enough to know for sure if your watch was off (more likely) or the course was short.  Trees or buildings + curved course = short Garmin distance estimate.

Spareribs instigator?  I somehow imagine on both sides!

Mariposai my DW and I really met for the first time when we went snowshoeing together!  We were on a ski trip at a friend's parent's house.  After skiing one day we went off to snowshoe.  My guess is we went a total of 100 yards!  But, it was the first time we had ever talked for more than 10 seconds.  For those of you thinking anything else, that was the extent of our adventure.  Just snowshoeing and talking.  Now get your minds out of the gutter!  Angry

C-R and OrangeMat you and I guess about 30,000+ plus others!  I hope the weather turns out to make for a great race day!

hopeful4ever you sound like a package!  Why is your DH "sending you to Florida?"  First class I hope.  If you go parcel post you will have to spend an awfully long time in that truck!

OrangeMat good luck with the doctor and with the lottery.

Econo each day counts on the minus 5 front!  One problem might be hitting it early and then having to keep it off!  Good luck with the plan.

Paavo S you DH can ride a unicycle!  That is a heck of a talent!  I remember trying as a kid for quite some time and never managed to stay up for more than a few feet.

rochrunner I hope it ends up feeling better before you see the doctor.  If not, I hope he offers you a quick fix so you can sleep.

fatozzig I imagine it is not too difficult to create something similar to fire roasted tomatoes even if you do not have a grill.  If you do, then it should be a snap.  Sans grill I would try two things.  The easy one is to put the oven on 450.  Cut the tomatoes in half.  Sprinkle salt and pepper on them and rub with some olive oil.  Stick them in the hot oven and let them blacken.  Tomatoes have a lot of water so this might not work.  The hard way would be to start them in an oven set to the oven to 225.  Then repeat the above letting the tomatoes dry out for about 2 hours.  Then raise the oven to 450 to get the tomatoes to blacken.  If both of these fail find a friend with a grill!

enkephalin daffodils?!  We are about to enter the freezer part of the year over here!  Daffodils!  I hate you!!!  Angry  We will not see those litter harbingers of warm weather for months.  Did I mention that I hate you?  Wink

Dave59 now that is a weather report I like!  A fellow sufferer.  Nothing like 10 degrees to make a TM suddenly look attractive!

Woods Lady you mean you did not win!  Having a good time at a race is all that counts.

Holly S. I love biscuits, sausage and gravy!  Please stay away from my house during breakfast hours!

Hemerocallus see note to Dave59.

Today was my first 4 mile day.  The best thing about hitting 4 is that the way the roads are configured around my house it is easy to do a 2 mile loop and a 4 mile loop but not a 3 mile one.  So, that meant this was my first outdoor run in months!  Post run I saw my PT who was not super happy with my left leg.  She said go 4 on Wednesday.  She will then check out my hamstrings and see if they are holding up.  Nice having a human MRI to check out my legs.  Now if only the nice MRI machine would tell me all is well!  Wink

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi Heme! Love the avatar and great to see you here.

Ran for about 38 minutes with Hudson by my side for about 20 of those minutes. Nice easy pace and still fairly mild here at 40 degrees in advance of the cold front tonight. Still no snow and none forecast. Hudson loves to trot along by my side and understands "slow-down" now. Good thing we also play "Chase the Kiddo" when we get back for some finishing sprint loops. Good news about Brinkley!  Check out Hudson's twitter feed Mary, he gave y'all a shout-out in the winter storm warning.

My guys are watching the NHL Winter Classic and report that it was a snoozer of a game up until just a few minutes ago. Groovy. Hockey game for the kiddo later tonight and again Thursday and Friday. I decided I didn't need to see TV hockey too! 

Henrun

While Marj was up in Nh doing daycare duty with her grandkids I ran an easy 6 in a mild but windy day. Many runners were out in shorts but, since I'm fighting a cold, wore long wind pants. I usually don't have a weight problem but got on ths scales this am and noted I had gained 5 over the last week. Must be something in the air or, rather, all the food and drink of the holiday season. Fortunately I'm usually back to my normal weight in 2-3 days.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hallar... we're in downtown Rochester, not far from Doug. Simply awesome place to live!

So the first real blast of Michigan winter has started. 28 with a wind chill of 18 this morning so I wore two of everything only to come home sweating after a 4 mile recovery run... oh well, try again tomorrow when it's much colder. 

Roch... hope the fall just caused a bruise

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Karin, I'm curious why you're running by time and not by miles this year?
                              Jay, cool that you had so many family members running and walking together!
                              And cool that Econo and Woodslady and family also ran together!
                              Hi Halllar!  Welcome back!
                              Leslie is thinking about mowing and Enke has daffodils sprouting?  You must live on a different planet or something.

It was 42° and sunny here, so I wore shorts, long sleeves, gloves, and yaktrax for my run. The 1st lap with the dogs was great. But during the 2nd lap it got windy and cloudy, and it wasn't shorts weather anymore - and I was 2 miles from home in shorts.  Brrr.  I cut it short at 8 miles.  Nothing like being cold to help you power up the hills, though!

No MM5 for me - March is way too far out.  We're leaving for Costa Rica on Wednesday and I'll be wearing a bathing suit by Friday.  Surprised  And no, unlike Robin, I won't be posting a picture of myself in a bathing suit.  But hey, she's younger than I am.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Econo, I like the idea of losing a little weight but will aim for 3 pounds, not 5.  The round number 150 appeals to me.  I weighed less than that when I ran some of my best races so we'll see because I want to have a good year racing.

I did a longish run this morning, about 13 miles.  I put some Cramer sports rub on my right IT band-my new coach swears by it-and headed out for one of those unplanned wandering runs, where I found some trails I didn't know about and took a few breaks like to stop back here and refill my water bottle.  It was excellent.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me