Masters Running

THURSDAY Oct. 9 Boomers Runs and Cinnamon Donuts (Read 586 times)

Yeah, I wondered if I should have said "him". I guess I'm not as PC as I thought.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Yeah, I wondered if I should have said "him". I guess I'm not as PC as I thought.
      Hey it made me chuckle! Big grin
        hopeful4ever posting a picture of my favorite food group! Ugh now I want one! Angry Must not go to the donut shop, must not go to the donut shop . . . biketm very nice MP run. Add to that a new 5K PR and wow what a a week you are having! deez4boyz glad you are feeling good. Keeping my fingers crossed that the trend continues. mainerunnah good luck with this afternoon's 10 miler. Assuming your weather looks like what i have down here you should be fine in that regard. Peter NC nice double digit hill run. Tramps stomach flues are really, really contagious. I hope you are ok. Holly S. nice job getting in faster training runs. Why though did you do 4 outside and 4 on the TM? The Jogger another good hill run. Must be international hill run day or something. Confused rochrunner what a great feeling to get up and decide the whole world is so right that 10 miles seems like it should: a great joy to run. Enjoy the wedding. Mariposai have fun on your run this afternoon. I hope it goes well. Alas, my DW is still refusing to run either this weekend's HM or 10K. But I do not give up easily! Smile As for me, what I did was bail on doing speedwork this week. I also cut a few miles out of some of my recovery runs and will instead run 4 EZ on Saturday. The worst that can happen is this will turn out to be a bad idea and I will not do it again. But if it helps . . . keeping my fingers crossed that it does! Things that help are rare but once you find them you get to keep them! Teresadfp great run for you and your RP! Good luck also getting your friend into running. People have no idea how much it helps. Especially racing. It gives people an added motivation to just say no to another bite and to get out and remain active. Congratulations to you too on going down this new track, so to speak Big grin, for nearly two years now. I am sure your friends appreciate your encouragement and will no doubt do so for years to come. tselbs sounds like it was a nice day for a good 8 mile run. dg. good overall workout. The 4:20 reported by your Garmin? If so my experience is that the instantaneous pace numbers it generates are really, really unreliable. evanflein I have to remember to skip your posts! I would not call 8° "cold!" It is bloody frigid! Even then you are debating running in it! Wow! Good luck and I hope you have fun with whatever you do (outside or TM). Enjoy your trip. In the meantime packing is so much fun! Tongue Oh yea, TM bashing is just an enjoyable hobby of sorts. Kind of like generic office griping about things like pay, office space, whoever is viewed as the "other" people working there . . . Anyway, try it (TM bashing) who knows you might even like it! Big grin enkephalin here is my official environmental pass. Hope it does you some good! Nice job not slipping on the leaves! Not easy to do and keep running. Twocat as I noted above in preparation for my HM this Sunday I decided to bag today's speedwork. Instead I went out for an 11 mile hill run. Translation: sped up when going up the hills. DickyG not quite my third HM in the last two months. One race was a 20K, this will be my second. Yes, I do read the dailies even when I do not have time to post! Good runs all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Good afternoon Masters. I've taken a few days off work to hang out at my son's school. Yesterday was his field trip to the Oregon Caves, followed by a 1.5 mile hike. Learned lots of interesting sciency stuff. Then today was his jog a thon. For the first hour (lower grades) I counted laps for some of the kids and took pics for the yearbook (i'm the yearbook maker) and then during the next hour, with the upper grades, I ran. Ran slower with some kids and ran faster with a couple of the kids trying to break the school record. The record, set about 12 yrs ago, was 33 laps. The kid with the most laps last year (31) was trying to beat it and as we neared the end of hour, I paced him to try and help him beat the record, but we only had 5 min left and he still had to do 4 laps to beat the record. We were booking it and we managed to get 3 laps, so he tied the record. Then we did a cool down lap. This kid is a swimmer and soccer player, but doesn't train for running specifically. His dad was there really pushing him - a bit too much I thought - yelling each time we came around to "go faster!". He never stopped for a water break and ran hard that whole hour. He was a bit wobbly when we finished and his dad seemed to brush it off like he was faking it. I think he was real dehydrated and should have been taking in some electrolytes while running. My son's record from last year was 16 laps and he beat it at 18 laps this year so he was happy about that.

Tammy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- spectaculiar weather today! I see yellows and reds starting to dominate the green...ah fall in NE... cut short the number of miles I wanted to do as I was slowing despite increased effort-maybe just a tired day, maybe cumulative toll 8 miles in total at the track-biked 5 total to/from 1 mile warmup 4x1600M 6:21/18/13/19-(oops); rest intervals of 2 minutes between all 1 mile cooldown 4x200M (av 34sec); jog/walk 200M in 2 minutes 1 mile cooldown (again) can't wait for Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            wildchild

Carolyn

Sounds like almost everyone is enjoying great runs and beautiful fall weather, with the notable exceptions of Tramps (hope you feel better!) and Erika (8 degrees?) Shocked Doug, congrats on the 10 mile run, and have fun at your brother's wedding! Tall, I like your attitude about treadmills. Cool If I ever get forced indoors by bad weather, I run on the indoor track at the rec center. It's kind of boring but waaaay better than the dreadmill. Tammy, that was cool that you got out and ran with the kids. That dad who yelled "go faster" should get out and try it for himself. Roll eyes It's absolutely beautiful fall weather here, too, and I went for a 6 mile tempo run at lunchtime on the Highline Canal trail (the one I first ran last week, past all the McMansions.) Perfect conditions: sunny, 57 degrees, flat dirt trail, fall colors, light breeze. And my legs felt fresh and sproinky - one of those rare runs I gave a "10" for quality. Mile splits: 9:49 - 9:09 - 9:01 - 9:03 - 9:03 - 9:08. Woo hoo! Life is good!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

roch, so nice to hear you running happy--you will for sure have to get over to England to visit, and happy wedding to your brother. Mari--have fun tday! Holly--your cat sounds like both of mine. I have to be vigilent in trimming their nails b/c if you ignore them when they want to cuddle, they just try climbing up your leg. Nothing will keep them from finding their appointed laps. Now that it's cooler (48 and snow predicted for just north of us tonight), they are flexing their snuggling muscles. Tammy, good for you and a wet noodle for that dad. Gearing up for tomorrow night.......got to get in the snacks and all Big grin Of all things, I think my gluteus medius is acting up Undecided, so I went easy today--6.08 in just over 54 for a 9 even pace. 40s today and tomorrow even colder. Bye-bye flowers Sad. grins anyway, A
                Masters 2000 miles
                  Dark Colt did better in this week's middle school cross-country meet: 7th out of 36 boys, and first 7th grader. Not a fast time, but nobody was fast in this group. Er, I haven't done anything today. Yet. We'll see. Later: 100 pushups and 100 situps. Dark Horse
                  I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

jules2

(So what would a Brit doughnut look like and still be a "doughnut"?) What a beautiful day for a mid-morning run. Same weather as Mary's, but with the sun up in the brilliant blue autumnal skies, breaking through colorful leaves overhanging my Paint Creek Trail, fallen leaves crunching underfoot, and just a scattering of other runners and bikers occasionally spotted. I felt so good that I made it an LSD 10-miler at a 10-minute pace for my longest run of the year. Just what I needed to lift me up today. In a few hours I'm leaving with my DS to drive to Nashville for my brother's wedding. 52 years old and he's finally tying the knot, then leaving for Jolly Old England to take over the Newcastle Film Festival (he's been Artistic Director of the Nashville festival the last few years). I'll have to get over there for a visit sometime. Here's hoping for the same running experience for everyone else!
                    Believe me Newcastle isn't exactly "jolly old England" and to cap it off he's missed the Great North Run which is the sporting event of the year and was last weekend. Has he ever experienced Newcastle Brown its a top beer.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat – I ran the first 4 miles outside to warm up, but I can’t do those kinds of varied intervals outside on the streets in the dark. My treadmill allows me to create these programs and save them for reuse, and they’re fun. Tammy – very kewl few days at school, and that you are involved. I'll bet your DS was happy to have you there, and those are the things he'll remember someday. Great job on pacing the kids at the jogathon, too. (How many other moms would even be able to do that?) Did I read you correctly that you ran 33 laps around the track in an hour? Isn't that more than 8 miles?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

10.07 miles - 1:18:37 - 7:48 - Avg HR 148 Max HR 158 Partly Sunny & 72 degrees. 2 miles warm up 6 miles @ mp 2 miles cool down 7:44 - 134/145 7:46 - 144/149 7:27 - 150/159 7:28 - 154/159 7:29 - 154/156 7:27 - 154/156 7:30 - 152/156 7:31 - 155/156 8:47 - 146/155 8:52 - 139/144 0:31 - 143/144 A little tired but felt great! Big grin
                        dg.

Twocat,
                          The 4:20 reported by your Garmin? If so my experience is that the instantaneous pace numbers it generates are really, really unreliable.
                          . thanks! I have a Polar, I'm not sure of the differences there. But either way, that has to be wrong. I wasn't even trying to go fast. Ever. Well, one time when there was a traffic jam on the track, & I darted out to pass the side-by-side walkers ahead of an oncoming fast runner. Life in the fast lane! Roll eyes .Still it was wrong. I wonder how it gets those numbers. Maybe it's vanity pacing, like vanity sizing? to keep me buying polars. Wink. I hope sunday goes well for you. Amy, healing vibes for your gluteus medius. be careful! I wonder if you need miracle balls? http://www.elainepetrone.com/pages/products.html#balls my cats are the same. way. I have to remember to trim their nails before I put my contacts in. Otherwise, I might as well do it with my eyes closed. Remember, it's not winter. but still. I'm sad for your flowers too. Sad. Mine are still here at least through the weekend. Tammy, very nice for your son, tell him WTG for me! & nice that you could be there. Dale, I can't wait to here how it goes!!! what's the weather forecast? Carolyn, nice run! Doug, same to you! mta: Bob, same to you! still behind but I need to wash dishes. prolly need to trim cat nails. quick question... my left heel started hurting toward the end of my run Sunday. It's come & gone since then, this morning hurting when I got out of bed & I know enough to know that isn't good. it's early & I can nip it in the bud, and happily while running in my frees today it didn't hurt. here's the question.. my left shin has been hurting too (since tuesday). Does that seem like a logical link? any idea what to do about that? I have a stick, & will try the foam roller. I have a Strassburg sock i'll try tonight for my heel, though I'm not sure if you're supposed to wear it all night at first. (don't have instructions, i should look on their web site). oh, sorry. not quick. I meant it to be....
                          Mariposai

mainerunner...didn't you just a marathon, like last week? you are a beat man Cool. I am amazed at how fast you can handle that type of speed work so soon after your last race. Congrats man. As for me...4 ezepz miles. I waved madly to everyone who honk at me Cool.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Tammy, enjoy those days with your son at school. Before long, he'll dread having you walk through the door... My youngest today met me at the door for his orthodontist appt... didn't want me going in the school at all. And it just kills them to hear me and DH talk about how we used to go to that school over 30 years ago! Roll eyes It's a balmy 35F out there now... If I can manage it, I might try an outdoor run tonight. The thing about the treadmill is I can do other things at home while running... like get dinner going or the laundry, and I'm just a "stop" button away from taking care of mid-prep details that need attention. Helps with the multi-tasking I guess. Fielding lots of phone calls from employees today, panicking about the markets. I try to tell them that fear never helps... but it is pretty scary.
                              dg.

You are looking good dg
                                this is what I kept forgetting. Hi Nancy. thanks... but you are looking mahvelous!!! WTG! take good care of yourself. Erika, they'll get over it. but that is a tough phase. your TM multi-tasking reminded me of Jane Jetson. Smile