Masters Running

Thu Nov 20 Runs, Nonruns, Workouts and Nonworkouts (Read 668 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Totally in dark clothing, caring clothing too - like jeans rolled up.
    I don’t get it. What is “caring clothing?” But I know what you mean about unexpected pedestrians on dark streets making the HR go up. DickyG – you’ve always been a superstud jock to us...you don’t need a Garmin to prove it...Smile Day Late Posters – go ahead and post your runs! It’s okay, we don’t care when you ran, we just enjoy that you shared it with us. 2.8 mile WU outside (ave pace 10:36, ave HR 112) Mary- I wore the strap upside down but this seemed right for me for that short distance and pace. I’ll try it again Saturday when I run longer outside. Then on the TM: [2 min. 7.5 mph (8:00)/1 min. 6.2 mph (9:40)] x 10 2 minute walk at the halfway point. Plus CD made 8 miles total. I am hating this workout right now – it’s so hard for me! The last 2 intervals about killed me. But I know if I keep it up, eventually I will feel it get easier.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, good thing you had Brinkley with you this morning when you saw the creepy guy! I always feel safer with my dogs, even though they're not exactly attack-trained. Superstud jock DickyG, Happy belated Birthday! Well, I have a non-run to post for yesterday. We had a conference call with clients in Alaska over our lunch hour, and another conference call in the afternoon, so I missed my lunchtime run. It was in the 60's and sunny yesterday, too... today it's about 30 with freezing drizzle. At the beginning of each week I look at the weather forecast to pick my rest day, and I had picked today, but since I missed the run yesterday, I'll be brave and head out at lunchtime. Unless I don't. Undecided

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Technically I do not think biketm officially posted a non-run this morning so does that mean mine is logged in first? Wink At the multi-relegious Twocat house we have Christmas Elves, otherwise known as my sisters-in-law, that help my DW. Alas, they elves do not help undecorate. That joyful job falls to the resident Jew (err. . . me) who gets to take everything down and pack it back up more or less by his lonesome self. Sniff. . . sniff. WRFB hey non-run jokes are all that keep this non-running from being a 100% drag! Keep them up. perchcreek I am in NC right now and it is FREEZING! Where are you running shirtless? Confused Here I thought I was going to get away from the New England cold for a few days! Sarge thanks for the advice. I saw your note first thing and went back to read yesterday's posts. More to follow. From what everybody is saying I am starting to think that getting a cortisone shot is the way to go. Peter NC thanks and a nice double digit run. I sort of remember those . . . Smile DickyG just remember to download Sportracks! Jlynne my sympathies on the weight! With my week on the road I am getting really worried about what the scale will say on my return. I am trying to go on the no eating diet for a couple of days! Not easy with every meal being a meal out. evanflein nice to see somebody with exactly the same thoughts as I am having! I am straying over at a friend of mine's house and he is trying to convince me to go biking with him as a possible alternative to running. But sitting on something is what led to my bursitis in the first place so I am not convinced it is really a good alternative. Mariposai THANK YOU so much for the post! That is by far a better description of the possible problems and their symptoms than I have received anywhere including from my doctor. I am going to try and get hold of you as soon as I can. From where my problem lies and it origination I must have Ischial bursa. As of now I have some stretching exercises the PT my doctor sent me to recommended and I ice the area for 15 minutes a day. Non of this seems to have really cured it though. tetsujin209 if you won't tell biketm then I promise not to tell him either! Smile dg. reading your note and the others is leading me to ask for "the shot." At one point the doctor mentioned it as an option.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

fatozzig, I can understand how it would be depressing to have layoffs at you husbands work place. I feel bad for those laid off and hope your husband's job is secure. DickyG, it's good to have you back from what must have been a pleasant time with your grandson. Congrats on the new Garmin. My model doesn't have a heart rate monitor so I can't get involved with the right side up/upside down scientific studies but you can. Nice long run for Peter and speedwork for maine. I normally wouldn't run today but have a 5K race Sat, don't want to run tomorrow, and don't want to take two days off. Therefore, I did 4 miles this morning in hopeful weather (mid 30s and strong north wind but no strange man). It took me about 38 minutes for a 9:28 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          wildchild

Carolyn

perchcreek I am in NC right now and it is FREEZING! Where are you running shirtless? Confused Here I thought I was going to get away from the New England cold for a few days!
            Twocat, you need to read more carefully: Perch did a shirtless non-run...
            I had a nice warm, shirtless non-run this morning... ahhh.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild right you are! Black eye I blame it on all this non-running. It is starting to addle my mind! Dead

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Twocat...look again. I posted my non run before you Roll eyes Mary has the same problem with not reading what is said very well Tongue What's up with some of the words used recently - Twocat with 'addle' - Holly with 'idyllic' - and Mary with 'footedness' Confused...that just doesn't look right, but it was a real word after looking it up. I should have paid better attention in school Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

Happy Belated Birthday SuperStudGMan! Very sweet gift! Rosie - I would have been on high alert also! Glad nothing bad happened. I wasn't quite sure what "caring clothes" meant either. Figured it was a typo, but couldn't figure out what it was typo for? I went to the gym last night and did the elliptical. 35 min. Keep my strides per minute above 140 and adjusted the tension from a 3 to a 7. Felt like I got in a decent workout and my heart rate was right around where it is when I run. Today is a non-run day for me. Working on a murder case all day, then watching Thursday night football tonight. Have a groovy Thursday!

Tammy

dg.

{{{ Amy's Hammie }}} hee. your suggestion brings back fond memories.... Twocat, good luck. happy belated, DickyGarmin stud boy. Smile. Holly, good job. that sounds tough. You've motivated me to add just a little baby interval things into my run.. at least this morning. just 3. or it might have been 4. 200 meters each because it was 1 lap, then a lap slower. not really timed per polar... just trying this out since speed prolly isn't good for me right now. so I just picked it up a little. here was this morning... w/u walk, 3.85 mile run, 9:51 average pace, 7:16 max. 171 ahr, 187 max. wore Frees oh boy. 17 min. on the bike, 2 sets weight machines, pullups pushups. rows. stab. ball stuff. stretched. the end. may have over done a tiny bit, hurts to sit this morning (but not too bad!) and I was just realizing yesterday that it had stopped doing that. mta, Mary, packs of coyotes and now Strange Men. maybe DH wants to run with you?? TomS, no lingering effects from your fall?

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I don’t get it. What is “caring clothing?” But I know what you mean about unexpected pedestrians on dark streets making the HR go up.
                      I meant to type "Carrying". He was carrying clothing. Nothing orange - that is for sure!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

DickyG- be careful labeling yourself with superhero sounding names or SteveP might feel threatened and break out his utility belt on you. Just a friendly warning, although if you post using your new Garmin we will be able to track you as you flee.
                        lamerunner

Ok, this is getting dull. Another non running day. i did at least 60 minute cycling workout on the Spin bike. I would like to do a bit more of something but time is limited. Technically I may run a couple of minutes this afternoon during the XC practice. I have found though I cannot even complete a short warm up with the girls.. I have to supervise from strategic points. Even 3-5 minutes starts to be very painful. I don't do the interval work with them anyway but I did used to run the warm up. I have an orthopedic appt December 2 so maybe I will start to figure something out. I did not ever think this sciatic issue would take this long to resolve. I think I am on about Day 9 now...
                          evanflein

Lamerunner, my mom had sciatica for awhile a few years ago. Seemed to linger for a long time, but then just went away. JLynne, I can relate, sister! I've been trying to watch what I eat lately, and was doing really well. But a sneaky mid-week weigh in (I'm trying to wean myself to one a week) showed I'm up 4 lbs!! I've been watching the sodium intake, too, so it's a mystery. Happy belated b'day, SuperGarminDickyG! You'll have fun with it... LOU! I for one am not the best-natured around here about this non-running crap. If you really are curious what an injured runner does to try to hold onto sanity, take a peek at my log... Calendar view, mind you. The running part looks pretty pathetic (like I died after Nov. 2), but the calendar view tells the story. This week is turning into a bit of a cutback week because of work and after-work stuff... I don't think I'll see many shirtless runners around here. -15 this morning... I left my car outside by mistake (was going to turn right around last night and go back to town, but changed plans and forgot about car...) and it's pretty pissed at me this morning. Refused to start. So DH brought me in... he leaves his truck outside all the time (his side of the garage is filled with junk), plugs it in for a short warm up for half hour or so and it starts right up. Mine, the Swedish winter-wonder-car, sits outside at -15 for a few hours and refuses to start. Wussy car. Angry
                              5 rainy, breezy, hilly miles this a.m. But not shirtless. Too wet. Was quite pleased with the result of an average 10:00 pace. Gotta love the "down" part of hills. They make you look really fast. Smile And I actually used my brain this morning and kept Miles 2-3 close to the grocery store in order to avail myself of their facilities at the needed time. Yes Dicky G - A Garmin 405 (((sigh))) I can only dream. Twocat - If you come help me take down all our decorations, I'll come help you take down yours. And cortisone shots? (((shudder))) I remember how it felt to get them in my wrist. Sad Re decorating trees - a few years ago, the Hub and I imbibed before we started putting on the lights. BIG mistake. I had to actually break branches off the tree when I was taking the lights off 'cause I couldn't figure out what the he!! we'd done. If I remember correctly, a few other 4-letter words were thrown around while the disassembling was underway. Probably should've been drinking then, too. Blush Timothy - Idyllic: Excellent and delightful in all respects, "a perfect day;" "an idyllic spot for a picnic." Big grin And ladies - Yeah! Evil grin What's with the weight gain?? I don't get it. My eating hasn't changed and my activity level is up. Grrrrrrrrr! Angry Bonkos (aka Bunko) tonight with the gals. Keep your fingers crossed I win the $60. Momma needs to buy cat food for the masses.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

LOU! I for one am not the best-natured around here about this non-running crap.
                                Uh oh. I think I just got in trouble. No Where's the tail between the legs emoticon when you need it? Undecided

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com