Masters Running

Monday March 2 Master Miles (Read 482 times)

Tramps

when they closed RIC due to a broken down plow on the runway.
    No, no, it was probably the broken down plow, as in the only plow they have! Wink Glad you made it. Ribs--my water stop is to refill my Fuel Belt. That's why it takes a while. Yesterday was a little longer than usual too since I had some clothing changes to do as well. But it is a useful feature to keep an eye on those stops. I stop my watch because it messes up my splits so much but I always feel like I'm "cheating." Maybe I should go to a "never stop the watch" philosophy.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

I think I'm taking the day off. We'll see tonight. Feeling a little beat up this morning. Still trying to figure out what's going on with my carpy long runs the last few weeks... Black eye Off to check out a relay race report....
        Brrrr on my easy 6 miler this morning. 14º but wind chill only 2. Luckily we managed to miss the snow for once so the roads were clear. No water stops for me on this run. As I am typing this I have a student teacher, teaching a 2nd grade dance unit. She was talking about a folk dance and said that it was really really old. One of the students raised his hand and then asked, "Is it from the 1970's?" It took me a good couple of minutes to stop laughing. Mary-Your trailer park story reminds me of when I run through housing developments. I feel that I generally have a good sense of direction, but I have been lost more than once in some neighborhoods. Maybe I need help from Garmin.
          Rainy, windy, but mild (52F) so I donned my shorts and did a slow 3.3 miles. There was this nice blue sky just to the west of me and a distinct barrier of dark grey clouds spitting down the rain right where I was. I wanted to avoid the wind and rain as much as possible so I went to my one mile long trail that has lots of tree cover and ran up and down it a few times. I solved a mystery today. Along this trail, for the past couple of weeks, I noticed that someone had etched "I LOVE U" in the mulch in two different places. Cute. Every time I saw it, I would wonder who had done that and what the story behind it was. I thought maybe a lovesick highschool student had done it, but naw, wouldn't they just text each other? There is an 81 year old man that I often see running this stretch and he was there this morning. I said hi. A 1/3 mile later I passed a senior woman out for a walk and I said hi. Later I saw her with a stick, etching out a finish line and writing "GREAT JOB" under it. This finish line near the end of this trail has been there for years, and I've always wondered about that too. Later I saw her re-doing the "I LOVE U" further up the trail. As I got into my car, the couple were walking hand in hand out of the trail to cross the street. I would like to think it was the gusty wind in my face causing me to tear up, but it wasn't.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

that is such a sweet story Enke! I love it! I feel so proud when I make tselbs honor roll. It seriously is one of the highlights for me and when I am doing my long run on a weekend, it always pops into my head "ahh, tselbs will mention me in his honor roll!" Thanks Tom. It's the little things you know Wink No run today. working all day and then DH is leaving for So Cal in the a.m., so I'll be helping him get ready, making sure he has plenty of clean underwear for a week . . . things like that . . . Tongue

Tammy

Renee the dog

So far today, I've done nothing but shovel a little bit and blow my nose a lot. I'm thinking it's going to be a treadmill day today. We got maybe 3 -4" of snow here. No big deal. But the wind, and my cold -- eh, probably best to keep it inside where it is warm.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I solved a mystery today. Along this trail, for the past couple of weeks, I noticed that someone had etched "I LOVE U" in the mulch in two different places. Cute. Every time I saw it, I would wonder who had done that and what the story behind it was. I thought maybe a lovesick highschool student had done it, but naw, wouldn't they just text each other? There is an 81 year old man that I often see running this stretch and he was there this morning. I said hi. A 1/3 mile later I passed a senior woman out for a walk and I said hi. Later I saw her with a stick, etching out a finish line and writing "GREAT JOB" under it. This finish line near the end of this trail has been there for years, and I've always wondered about that too. Later I saw her re-doing the "I LOVE U" further up the trail. As I got into my car, the couple were walking hand in hand out of the trail to cross the street. I would like to think it was the gusty wind in my face causing me to tear up, but it wasn't.
                Okay, that's right up there with Alex's stories of his walks with his grandson. {{{sigh}}} Been out of the loop for the last few days while at conference. Will have to go back and read up on what you all have been doing. Tomorrow I get back on the training wagon in the hopes of being able to participate in the McDonald Forest 15k in May (a very hill course). The plan would be to complete the 15k, then refill the ole pack and head out for another loop to end the day with a 30k run, which I desperately need at this point to get myself positioned to return to the ultra trail running game in July. I won't be be up for the 50k in May, but signing up and completing the 15k would at least get me a finisher's medal! Cool

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good afternoon, all! Enke - what a nice discovery -thanks for sharing! DH and I were snowed in this morning. It took DH over 4 hours to clear the driveway enough to even think about getting a car out. And now it's snowing again ;-). I had brought work home for the weekend, so it's been enough to keep me busy and out of trouble. I have a big pot of chicken chili smelling up the house... I did core and upper arm weights this morning while DH did his treadmill run. The treadmill has been stopping mid-run - just when he is on it. Turns out that the "stop/pause" button is so sensitive that it responds to his sweat drops (he sweats buckets on all aerobic equipment). I did 6.5 easy miles today. Yesterday was a rest day as I did 13.1 miles in the cold wind Saturday. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

breger1 when I ski I try to run too. Boy is it hard! On the plus side I tell myself that it is making me faster seeing as how many top runners live in the mountains. Not sure that I will manage close to a five minute per mile MP though . . . Big grin tselbs glad to hear your desire to die is not all that strong! We would hate to get a report of some guy found by some random people reporting a body along the side of a road in a running outfit. Wink Tramps glad to hear about the water stop feature on the Garmin. I am not sure I would use it as my policy is to "count" every second while on a run whether or not I am moving. As Spareribs noted below in a race the clock keeps running! But, I know a friend of mine who always stops her Garmin whenever she does and I bet she would like this feature as an alternative. enkephalin very, very sweet story. I worked out in the gym today. Outside we are looking at well over a foot of snow. My DW gave up trying to get into NYC today and is also working at home. As to my work . . . my desktop PC just died and I suspect needs to have Windows reinstalled. Which of course means reinstalling everything else too! Ugh! I am writing this from my laptop as that still works, but it means I cannot access many of my files. Dead

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Putting down the Florida real estate brochure to post......It stopped snowing about two hours ago, so I went out for a walk on the mostly traffic free roads. I covered 4 miles while listening to a "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me!" podcast and fell a few times because I was laughing so hard. It was slippery under the drifts----we live in a pocket that got whalloped by this Nor-easter---14 inches on top of the 12 inches that was still on the ground. Just North of us just had flurries and my Central NY friends were spared for once. Good stuff and great high knee action and quad/hip work as I marched through the snow pretending I had Cyd Charisse legs. The shoveling and digging this morning will show up in sore arms tomorrow. Stumpy---glad you made it. Mary Baldwin College is a client (in Staunton) but we usually meet in NYC or Boston. Welcome back Maraposai and I can't wait for more details from the relay. very cool! (or warm I guess?). Sorry about the funk Erika. I hope it's just that you hit the tired part of the marathon training cycle and your energy boost will be just around the corner. I know I get to a point about 6 weeks out where I am teetering between the best shape of my life and utter exhaustion. Be good to yourself.I wish I could send you banked time without worry about others' schedules. dg---I hope you are getting answers and that the pain goes away soon. You are so good to everyone here with your support and encouragement. Back at you now. Love that story Enke. Thanks! I logged 20 miles last week and feel great. I'll move up to 25 miles now with my longest run at 8 miles and hold that for a few weeks---goal of 40mpw by June with continued emphasis on core (I want abs like Lolo Jones) and stability work. Vibes to Meg and her AT too! Off to see if SueT48 has any chili left---sounds great. CNYrunner MTA: Hi Twocat...Sorry about the computer woe.
                        SueT48 missed the chili note until I read CNYrunner's post. How did that happen? Confused I must be losing it! Well, send some down here to Fairfield CT when it is done! It sure sounds good . . . homemade chili!

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, I see that on the days you used to take off, Mondays and Fridays, you are now getting in an easy 3-miler. This is so good for your conditioning. One day you may wish to comment on the difference in how you are feeling.
                          I remember how resistant I was to the idea of running every day when you brought it up to me last summer, mostly because I didn’t want to give up my Monday/Friday x-training (having limited time before work for both), but also because I worried that I would not be getting enough rest. But all the conversations about the benefits of short recovery runs finally talked me into 10 minutes on the TM (just one 10-minute mile, thank you very much!) before my x-training sessions. And then 1 mile became 2, and I still found time for my x-training. And then 2 miles became 3, and I am still finding time for my x-training. And I was thinking this very morning, as I chugged along (admittedly very pleasantly) on the TM, “This is all Spareribs’ fault! He lured me into this every day running thing!” Big grin But seriously, it does seem to “work out the kinks” a bit, and I am not finding myself unduly stressed by the extra running, since I am keeping the runs short and at a gentle pace. They are refreshing, really. Enke – that is so romantic! CNYrunner – sending “melt that snow” vibes to you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

If any of you snow-bound northeast folks can get to an airport, come to Denver! It's 72 degrees and sunny today! It's actually too hot to run at lunchtime today. Undecided I plan to wait till sunset and do a short trail run on the way home from work. On the issue of whether to stop the Garmin or let it run, I stop it for things that wouldn't happen during a race, like a red light or a doggie pee break, but otherwise let it run if I take a walk break or a short water stop. Enke, sweet story!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

If any of you snow-bound northeast folks can get to an airport, come to Denver! It's 72 degrees and sunny today! It's actually too hot to run at lunchtime today. Undecided
                              Tossing real estate brochure for Florida aside and reading e-fax instructions while trying to fit into scanner....closest airport is closed, but I'll be there by sunset wildchild!
                                wildchild I just read your post while trying to decide if I wanted to sand the driveway or drive my DW to the train station at 6am tomorrow in our one and only four wheel drive vehicle. Angry Who would think I would be insanely, and I do mean insanely right now, jealous of the weather in Denver of all places! Wish I was there. Sigh.