Masters Running

Monday, Aug 8 (Read 601 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

It is Monday, right?  I just thought I'd get it started.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Oh Mike, you being fairly new here you didn't know.......NO daily thread on Monday August 8th, out of respect.....

Oh no Smile

T

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

HermosaBoy

Oh Mike, you being fairly new here you didn't know.......NO daily thread on Monday August 8th, out of respect.....

Oh no Smile

T

Geez Mike -- don't you know anything???  Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mike E

MM #5615

CRAP!  So sorry!  I did not mean to be disrespectful...now what happens?

Marathon Maniac #3309

Oh prolly nothing..... w/ you being fairly new. But next time, the wrath of the RA Wimmins ..............LOL

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

Short slow recovery run of 3.3 on the dirt track at Andy Brown Park, and now a heavy work day.

And now I have a story for you.  Twice a week I post to the running blog of my local newspaper and it's now doing quite well.  Rather than post race reports, I comment on the people in the race and stories that I think will be interesting.  When i don't race I offer running tips or encourage discussions.

Well, the news hires this new online sports editor who sends us 3 bloggers a scolding email about our headlines.  He says they aren't interesting enough and we need to do a better job.  I had to admit he was right.  I was paying no attention to them at all, so I wrote back and said I would make a better effort.  But then the guy went into my old posts and rewrote all my headlines!

So I got even with him today.  Please go check out today's entry about my "Watermelon Dash" 5K that I ran on Saturday.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/08/why-cats-dont-eat-watermelon-t.html

Spareribs

HermosaBoy

But then the guy went into my old posts and rewrote all my headlines!

One of the greatest tempations in life is to edit (read correct)  someone else's writing...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

King of PhotoShop

One of the greatest tempations in life is to edit (read correct)  someone else's writing...

It wouldn't have bothered me if he rewrote them and made them better.  He made them longer, but just as boring!  In the interest of full disclosure however, the guy is a fine reporter.  He covers golf for Yahoo! News and does a great job.  I am hoping he enjoys the humor in this and that we can keep up some banter about it as if it's a real fight.  Arguments drive people to follow the blog.  Spareribs

Sorry Ribs.  I hate to break it to you but ...

Bill

Kitty addicted to Watermelon

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

It was a great article Ribs, with enough humor to make the race and experience sound like fun ! You're an outstanding writer.....and color coordinated too Smile  

Bill.....LOL

Mike E

MM #5615

I have to say, Ribs, you got some ba...oh, I can't say that, can I?  You've got guts.  I hope he takes it with some humor, but I wouldn't count on it.  But I love it!!  And so will your readers, I'm sure.

Dave59

Sorry Ribs.  I hate to break it to you but ...

Bill

Kitty addicted to Watermelon

Is that a cat or some flat faced alien creature?

Mariposai

watermelon? who said watermelon? I loveeee watermelon!!!!Joking

Wow the only girl this morning who decided to show up to hang out with these stellar athletes????

Call me lucky Posie!!!!

Better hit the post bottom fast to be the first goddess among all these h***t RA lads!

Big grin

Running? none this morning. Still dead tired from yesterday's extravaganza. The party went well. Fourty two fantastic ladies showed up for the party. They were all fed, they enjoyed the games, the laugheters and the mini wedding cake I made for the bride was eaten up, except four pieces! I used an Italian frosting that made everyone go back for seconds. 

Ohh, yesterday morning my Easy Pacer woke me up so we can go for a run! His was eager to run his longest to date training LR, FIVE miles!!!! I am so proud of him. After we returned home I decided to embrace Kermel grade for a total of 9.5 miles. Which gave me a 30 mile week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Spareribs if he does not take your post script with some humor the guy has none!  Very cute.  Also congratulations on your second place AG award in the watermelon race!

Now as a guy who just finished editing academic journals for 13 years I want to say something in the defense of editors.  (Not, however, editors that go back and rewrite an author's material without conferring with the author first and certainly not for previously published material!  That really is stepping beyond the lines of acceptable editing in my view.)  Here is the problem editors face.  Authors think it is their job to convince the editor to publish their work.  They then think it is the outlet's job to get somebody to read it.  Nope.  People only read material that is interesting.  It is the editor's job to find work that is interesting and publish it.  Typically, authors are asked for changes in the hopes of taking a piece, making it more interesting, and with the hope this then draws in more readers.  I actually had a bit of a debate about the editorial process with an old friend of mine.  He too is an academic and thus (like me) has to publish papers at a pretty good clip to keep up his standing in the profession.  But he has never edited a journal.   Our debate was about how a journal should be run and which systems would produce the best outcomes.  Personally, I think my record says I am right!  Big grin

perchcreek congratulations on your 10k AG award.

evanflein how is it you keep getting faster?  Congratulations on both a new PR and AG #1 award!

Saturday's race was 5.853 miles.  Yes, that was what it was.  I pulled in popsicle stick #17.  That was 3rd in my AG.  But at a 7:14 pace it was only due to the fact that the NYC Triathlon was the next day so many of the faster runners were not there.  I had hoped to keep seeing steady improvement in my overall pace, but McMillan tells me this was relatively speaking somewhat slower than my last race.  I am likely seeing what my new normal will look like.  But the fact that I can race run at all is very nice so no complaints.  Today it was off for a morning speed work session with my training partner.  We were supposed to meet up at 6am, but at 5:30 I get a text saying she is going to be a no show.  Just as well, it means I will have her company on my "long" run later this week and that is actually better for me.  Any, this morning I did 6x600's.  They felt easier than last week.  And the paces indicated that I experienced less of a fade towards the end so perhaps they were!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'll just pop in here and keep the butterfly lady company.    She can't have all these men to herself!!  Big grin

Ribs - I love reading your blogs which you post on FB.  

Rest day for me.   I only wish I was still in bed.  Smile   After yesterday's 6 miler, I unloaded and moved 30, 50# bags of stones and in between cleaning inside of the house, helped DH spread all the stone.   Then had to get groceries before having mom over for dinner.   Once I took her home, the neighbors came over for a nightcap by the pond.    This is like a whole new lifestyle, and I'm not used to it, but I am lovin' it! 

We now have some plants and a few koi fish.   We will add to it later this week along with the ground landscaping.  Here's the picture you requested Erika.....

I am very sleepy today ......

Happy Monday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com