Masters Running

Monday, Aug 8 (Read 601 times)

Holly, when I used to be addicted to coke. . . .

I swear, this is what my eyes ready when I first looked at the post, and I thought, "Wow!  Down to the nitty gritty of honesty!!"

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Holly, I think I would have perked coffee on the Coleman stove just for the camping effect.  Having slept on the ground a lot and on a bed in a cabin, at this point I prefer the cabin.

BTY, that was a great workout!  I did a similar one but easier, one I've recycled from when Tinman trained me.  It's 7 miles that includes 3 x 1-mile intervals at a pace that's your current 5k pace + 35 seconds.  For me, that just happens to be my goal HMP or 8:33.  My hamstrings were tight even though I went to lunch yoga, and my choices for pace on the treadmill were 8:34 or 8:27 so I went with 8:34 and that was smart.  The recoveries are short, though, only 90 seconds, so you would think the mile intervals would get harder each time, but instead they got easier!  Then a little later in the run, you do 3 x 30 seconds at mile race effort with 1-minute recoveries.  I started the mile intervals at 1.5 miles into it and did the striders at mile 6.  When I came out of the Y after my shower, there were thundershowers so I thought, dang, missed my chance.  With the lightning strikes all around, I don't think DW would have been too happy with me if I had ran outside.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

BTY

Opie, that actually sounds harder than what I did, not easier. My shortest recovery between miles was 3:00, and I upped the recovery time to 5:00 between numbers 3 and 4, just to get my HR down. Maybe the HHH had something to do with that and under other conditions I would be able to stick with 3:00 - 3:30 recoveries. Maybe.    These certainly got harder for me as I went along.  I think the 5k + 35 is my Goal HM pace as well.  At least it's pretty close.

I found myself thinking that the 200 meter repeats were a little too long.  Maybe I'm just used to doing 100m striders, and I always turn off the jets before they start to get like "work".  The 200's were lile work starting at about 150 meters, or about 35 seconds into the rep. 

But doesn't it always feel good to run "fast"? Smile