Masters Running

holly's in the ice bath (Read 652 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly, I guess ice baths are good for accelerating next-day recovery (e.g. for doubles, tour de frances, etc.) but since the Big B isn't for another two months, . . . . just wondering why . . . .
    20 easy-paced miles for me today I did this run today instead of tomorrow, when it will be REALLY cold. After finishing the run, I climbed into an icy-cold bath. This is supposed to be good for you, I think.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Tet..... Big grin Thanks for the link. It helps to know there is a reason for the madness of icebaths.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Cashmason

Me thinks you have been talking too much to my fren Erika. She likes those things..... but she is nuts. I think it will also get both of you into the next race in Econo's territory. They really do have a race there called the "Frozen Beaver".
        bap

This thread is useless without pictures.

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

The question is does "woody" like the frozen beaver? Big grin Big grin
            bap

What's the difference between an ice-bath and hanging out with friends for 20 minutes, wearing shorts, at the end of a run in freezing temperatures?. I read an article somewhere that said ice-baths may do more harm than good and that 50-60 degrees is the ideal temperature for recovery. The other suggestion is to wait a few hours before your ice bath, as your immune system is suppressed immediately after a long or hard run.

Certified Running Coach
              Crocked since 2013

jules2

Why waste ice in a bath when you can put it to better use in a Gin and Tonic?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Why waste tonic in gin when you can have a dry martini?
                  Masters 2000 miles

Top 'O the World!

aww darn! & I wanted to play w/the blender! Clowning around
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        Postscript: I couldn't do it. filled the tub up 1/2 way, dumped in the cubes, got one foot in, immediately withdrew it, couldn't go any further. I know, I know, HTFU and all that. But. After a weekend of runs racked by gusts up to 40 mph, once I was done running I couldn't bring myself to endure further hardship. THAT IS, an ice bath after a cold, long run seemed like a lousy idea. I am wussy....but at least I'm warm. Could someone put the kettle on and bring me the remote? SWALOT comfy
                        evanflein

Ah, sirwalker, the key is to get in with the bath half done, then add the ice once you're already in. Makes it much easier to tolerate... or at least harder to escape. But then, I don't do them in the winter either. But in the summer, try standing in a 33 gal trashcan filled with ice water. Excellent effect on the legs, preserves the tender bits from the cold!
                            Well...I was hoping that we would find out that ICE baths don't work.....so...I guess I need to try this one day.....in the distant future....maybe in the summer time when I come in for a 20 mile LR.....when I actually WANT to cool off... Smile
                            HermosaBoy

Y'all gotta get the technique down. Get in EMPTY bath while still wearing running clothes (to protect sensitive parts). Turn on cold water and let fill until legs are covered. Add ice. Soak Having something to read is also a nice touch...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #3309

Y'all gotta get the technique down. Get in EMPTY bath while still wearing running clothes (to protect sensitive parts). Turn on cold water and let fill until legs are covered. Add ice. Soak Having something to read is also a nice touch...
                                Yes.....this is what I do too, and it's a lot easier to tolerate. Instead of reading, I look at my stats on my watch. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!