Masters Running

Thanksgiving Eve in the USA (Canada's was in October) Wednesday, 22 November 2023 (Read 40 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

To start things off. Read the following link before tomorrow.

The following link. To be read before tomorrow.

Steve is getting the whole gang back together to celebrate noise giving and family fun

Enke has already celebrated food eating season with friends this month and will enjoy some soup with her intelligent DD

Surly Bill is that. And will seek the company of elderly pugs rather than deal with inappropriate food pushers

Mike E is bruised but not broken according to the rib cage x-ray images. Advice is "activity as tolerated"  If doc actually knew Mike like we know Mike, he might have said, "Activity as tolerated by the average human. Not you. Superman"

wildchild continues to taunt me with her glorious snowy run under the deep blue Colorado sky. I'm always happy to visualize your route, dear Carolyn.

Leslie will be dining alone on TG but she's studying her options and they appear to be pescatarian perhaps. I loved the proposal story you shared. Go agate hunting and find the gift of a lifetime. Glad to read you are increasing your activity, sad that it includes your puffs on the inhaler.

Karen broke two rules. 1. running in the rain 2. dressing for the finish not the start  You are quite adaptable, I'm sure this winter has nothing on you, you intrepid runner you!  Here's hoping the freezer food thaws well!  I trust Ken's food sealing skills.  Go Iggles!

Marj walked and then helped at the food pantry.  The need is so great this year. Well, probably every year. Thanks for helping. And what year did you do White Rock?   The rrs and I crashed at Ribs and The Saints house to run White Rock in 2007?  Yes, I think that was it. Aamos and Hallycat were there. Amy had run a marathon Saturday (somewhere) and came to Dallas to run that one on Sunday. Enjoy your potato experiment.

Sub nice windy 5 miler in 39F!  Yesterday, we were a bit warmer (add 15 degrees to your 39) but just as windy. I didn't note the direction

That is why I chose all the wooded trail miles rather than bisecting the farmer's field out there in the open. The trees sure did block the wind.

And Geddy Lee's memoir is really greight!

Tramps nice productive shopping from home day!  Again, thanks for the weather heads-up. We've had a nice soaking rain all night and I can feel the earth sighing with relief.

Holly great 3.2 miles in 47F between the rain storms. I like it when it works out that way. Enjoy your Thanksgiving Family time. Sounds really nice.

Centex glad you're here!  You and your wife have enjoyed some great marathon times!  My husband (the retired rocket scientist or rrs) and I have run marathons all over the country but not as fast as you and your wife!  The rrs qualified for Boston at Myrtle Beach. I think he ran it in 2010?  I don't remember. He is 61 and I am 60.  He needs a new right hip and I am probably not too far behind on that. We're pretty heavy for marathon runners. He had all 50 states. I have around 23.  We enjoy biking and kayaking (Hobie) nowadays.

I look forward to reading about your ankle (?) being fixed up. You had mentioned communication with the doc. Remember. You are hiring him or her to perform surgery on you. So, essentially, they are your employee. Bring a list of questions to the pre-op appointment and get answers. Either the surgeon or their PA or RN should communicate with you sufficiently, yes?

tomwhite  good arc trainer workout.  Anyone interesting on the machines around you?

roch  I consider you athletic and I don't know your brothers. (I just got that Ernie Pyle book you reviewed on Good Reads. I will read it after I finish My Effin' Life   by Geddy Lee. The bassist and singer for Rush. This autobiography has really held my interest!)

deez I didn't realize it was so cold up there!  BTW a young woman with a small baby approached the rrs and me while we were in the OBX (yes, at a craft brewery) We were at a picnic table enjoying beautiful weather and mahi mahi tacos!  Anyway, the rrs was wearing his New Hampshire marathon tee shirt (Newfound Lake!) and the young woman asked about our marathon running (she was there with a ton of family and the OBX marathon was the upcoming weekend)  ANYWAY. When I heard one of the men in her group going to PAHK the CAH, I asked if she was from Boston and I told her I had a friend who was a nurse in L&D there. She asked which hospital and I told her Womens and Brigham (I think that's the name) Anyway!!!   She knew what I meant and said she delivered at the other hospital.

She was very nice.  Thanks for working Thanksgiving.  I kind of liked working Thanksgiving in L&D. (I worked 7pm to 7am) Folks always seemed so appreciative when they gave birth on a holiday.

tet hoping your pre op visit goes well and you haven't disqualified yourself after that spill yesterday

dave I never run with my glasses that's why I run in the dark.

Okey dokey!  We have GS2 David again today. He told Pops he wants to build a table. I'm sure the rrs will find some scrap wood in the shed and he and the little guy will build something.

I'm going to wash and tear greens and fry some bacon.  And prepare the cranberries!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

RCG - excellent year round advice too.

The following link. To be read before tomorrow.

Steve - maybe add Leslie after all so your 19 can match BTY's gang.

Steve is getting the whole gang back together to celebrate noise giving and family fun

Karen broke two rules. 1. running in the rain 2. dressing for the finish not the start  You are quite adaptable, I'm sure this winter has nothing on you, you intrepid runner you!  Here's hoping the freezer food thaws well!  I trust Ken's food sealing skills.  Go Iggles!

KSA - no problem. If twocat doesn't know, it's like a tree falling in the forest.

tet hoping your pre op visit goes well and you haven't disqualified yourself after that spill yesterday

RCG - another gem. who would have thought that a sidewalk fall shoulder might mess up knee surgery.  Not me. . . until, at yesterday's pre-op exam, PCP pushed it way up over my head higher than I could and concluded that nothing was broken or torn enough to postpone the dreaded 12/6 surgery

Knees and left shoulder back to normal after yesterday's sidewalk hug but left shoulder still left hurting enough to required fourth Ibupropen of the year after yesterday's same that almost immediately eased the pain away and then, a little while later got down to the knee.  Though PCP deemed the sidewalk shoulder would not interfere with December 6 knee "replacement" surgery, the TM stress test that fizzled the other day because my knee didn't like their TM inclines needs to be rescheduled ASAP with some sort of a chemical substitute that, though I assured them, "no problem to postpone until next year," etc. they are trying to get me in somewhere.

With all the available doctors in our new downtown area being young enough to go to one of Steve's pancake parties, if they're like the young'uns who treated me like a piece of meat on the table after I got after my previous PCP retired in 2016 before I found current one, I'll keep taking the one hour buses rides over to the island where PCP gets to tell me, "do your remember I mentioned that last time?" that any new doctor would have no idea about, I'll walk over for appointments that care if I have to.

Did Jay make it, . . . . . . . . . without incident? 

Wouldn't it be cool if. If "use it or lose it" wasn't about time off but was about weight off?

RCG - another gem.

Your running down in the boondocks down in the valley is like my hillsides, except you're 2X+ in distance with your having some actual running plus lovely pictures to prove it.

ps - no surprise to any of us but you are just like

the instructions DW's PCP gave for her daily BP's.

pps - JFK 60 years.

RIP.  Us too

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG - thanks for thinking of me!! I actually don't really mind working the holidays once I'm there - we make everything as special as possible for our patients and our co-workers. I'll be bringing in my pizzelles!! I do miss the Thanksgiving morning race and after party so I'll at least try to run a few miles in Boston before work tomorrow morning.

Have to head out in this chilly rain to do a couple of errands - planning on visiting Justin at the State Hospital this afternoon which will be the first time I've seen him since May 31. Have some baking to do and a Peloton workout to get in somewhere in between it all too.

denise

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the start and excellent recap RCG. You put a lot of work into that! And yes, yes, yes on the many things to avoid talking about during a Thanksiving meal. I'm guilty of a few of them! 

Tet - I hope you're feeling better today, and I'm sorry you're having so many issues with docs lately. Take care of yourself.

Deez will be "birthin' babies" on Thanksgiving! Thanks for giving a part of your holiday to all the new mothers.

SB - LOVED your post yesterday. Make sure you share RCG's "tips" at your Thanksgiving get together!

5.26 miles this morning in balmy 29 degrees with just a little wind out of the south. And that sunrise? Oh, my gosh! Well worth getting out of bed at 5:00 AM. Why is it the older you get, the more you really enjoy beautiful sunrises, sunsets and stuff? Maybe it's because we don't know how many we have left to admire...

We watched the first episode of "Fargo" on FX last night. Definitely a Coen brothers series, and looks to be quite "interesting."

Off to sell chocolate. It will be a jungle out there today!

Marathon Maniac #957

RCG - thank you for the excellent and thoughtful start!  Great tips re conversation nonos.  (Thanks for the reminder that I need to remind DH NOT to tease our DS about his political leanings.  And I will remember NOT to ask about when we can expect our first grandbaby.  )

Tet - I hope that shoulder pain goes away quickly

Deez - I hope your visit with Justin goes well.   {{{hugs}}}

Jlynne - I will have to see if I can find Fargo on our channels.

I went to Covidtests.gov and ordered 8 free at-home tests for our house, our DD's house, and our DS's house.  DD said she did not need them, but I said, "You or your BF or someone you know will get a cold this winter and wonder, hey, could this be Covid?"  And now you will be able to satisfy that curiosity, if nothing else.

My tattoo is brightly colored now, in reds and blues and greens and purples.  I like it better than before.

I got DH a Fire Stick for Christmas.  We had one years ago, but it is outdated and stopped working some time back.  I am meeting a friend after work (I get off at 1pm, DH not until 3pm) and my friend is going to program it for us, and then show me how to use it.  This is one of those extremely rare times when I got DH something that will be a surprise.  I also got a great deal on a Hamilton Beach Kuerig/carafe dual coffee maker.  Another gift that will be a surprise. I am on a roll here....

I slept in until 4:47am this morning!  And then I puttered around the house doing some advance prep for tomorrow.  No workout for me, so far

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Good Morning!

Got in a nice 7.2 miles after work yesterday and just barely got it done before I would have needed a headlamp.  We'll close up early today and if weather permits another nice run, I'll leave a bit earlier and get that done too before heading home to start making whatever I can make ahead of time so I'm not doing it all in the morning.

I made my cranberry/pineapple relish last night. Will make the pumpkin dessert tonight and may boil up the yams tonight also, then I just need to heat up in the oven with the brown sugar topping tomorrow. 

A bit later this morning, I'm heading over to one of our parks that seems to have turned into a homeless tent camp and hand out ziploc bags full of dry dog food.  I have a large bag donated to my non profit but it had been opened (very little used of this 40 lb bag because their dog didn't like it)  Nothing wrong with it and it's not out of date, so I'd rather give it to someone that can use it than have it just sit in our storage unit. Orijen, so a good quality food. 

Tammy

dnaff

Thanks for the great start Barb, and the cute video yesterday.. I thought for sure he was going to clunk his head!

Denise, I hope your visit with Justin goes well.

Pre Thanksgiving prep means the pecan pie is done (from the bakery) and the pumpkin one is in the oven.  I also successfully navigated the grocery store early and beat the crazies who will be there later.

I have been gifted a delicata squash…any of you foodies have recommendations on how to fix it?

we ran out of food at the pantry yesterday.  Over 300 came through in under 2 hours.  I have to go in again today(covering for an absent volunteer) but all I will do is man the phones and give out bad news.  No additional food coming in to us until next Tuesday.  Maybe I’ll be surprised and it won’t be busy.  I’m taking a book and have a podcast queued up in case that happens.

moebo

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving Eve to all.

RCG, thanks for the start and recap--I missed posting yesterday so am glad for the updates.

Tet, I hope you are feeling better after that spill.

Deez, I imagine today's visit with Justin will be hard, but you will feel better for having seen him. I will be thinking of you and wishing you peace.

Jlynne, I hope you are having fun in candayland today...

Holly, nice that you already have some Christmas surprises ready.

Tammy, good that you can help the dogs that need it.

Dnaff, how frustrating and sad that your food pantry has run out of food at this time of the year.

I have a holiday houseful already and felt like I needed a little break before things get too crazy, so I ignored the storm warnings and got out for 5.5 this morning. The wind and the rain were actually very fun, especially down at the beach, where the waves were roaring. Looking forward to a day of cooking and chaos!

Marathon Maniac #957

Pre Thanksgiving prep means the pecan pie is done (from the bakery)

I love pecan pie (heated with a scoop of vanilla ice cream) but have never made it or purchased it (because I thought I would be the only one to eat it, and goodness knows I don't need the calories) but I may change my mind and pick one up today.  I sent DH to get some last minute items from the store yesterday, but need to go myself today to get what he forgot or got wrong.  Like, he got evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed milk.  And since they were out of the name-brand 2 liter bottles of soda, he didn't get any at all.    I'm pretty sure our guests will be okay with Kroger-brand cola.

A bit later this morning, I'm heading over to one of our parks that seems to have turned into a homeless tent camp and hand out ziploc bags full of dry dog food.  

Wow - it IS a rough year if we are feeding the homeless dog food at Thanksgiving....  (I know it is for their dogs, lol)

(And what a nice idea, too.)

MikeE- I hope you are taking it easy on your shoulder today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mornin', Glories -

Thanks for the start, RCG.

Tammy - You're a good human.

Mike -  Look up "White Coat Syndrome."  It's real.  The Hub had to do the same thing the last time he had a physical when his BP was too high.  He took it as soon as he got up in the a.m. Ended up being fine.

Nuthin' for me for now.  Will get in a core/ST workout when I get home.  The Hub is doing a bit of grocery shopping this afternoon and asked if I wanted to add anything to the list.  Me: "No.  I'll go in the morning and get what I want to eat for dinner."  Him: "We don't have enough food here??" Me: "You're leaving and having Thanksgiving with your family.  I'm gonna fix myself something special."  Men! 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Kettlebell workout and a walk around the neighborhood so far today.

My manager is off this week and also the 3 people that report to me, so it has been quiet. One of the people reporting to me wasn't planning on being off. He had a family emergency and traveled to Nice France. He took his computer and planned on working from there but our company doesn't allow working from other countries. (There may be an exception for up to 10 days a year if you get permission 45 days in advance but I can't confirm that.) He didn't know the rule and he unfortunately told me where he was so I was forced to act on the information and have him stop working.  He would have been found out eventually anyway because the systems people can tell if someone is working from out of the country, but I still feel bad for being the one to do that to him.

The 5k I am going to tomorrow collects food and donations for an animal shelter, Little Victories Animal Rescue Group. Since I don't have any pet food around I'll just make a cash donation (if I remember to bring cash to the race.)

Tet - I see fine with my glasses. My issue with blurry lights at night is probably due to astigmatism which the glasses correctI have an annual eye exam and the doctor told me I would probably need cataract surgery someday but it is a long way off. I hope I die before I need to have my eyes operated on.

Thanks, RCG.  Great start and good things to remember.  We have a group run in the morning (in lieu of the Turkey Trots that you pay to run) and I probably won't get into any tense conversations!

I can't dress for the first mile- unless it's summer.  I learned that I simply can't stand to start cold.  I would rather get too warm later on, or shed stuff.  If I'm going to be cold (a little chilly for a mile I can handle), I can't do it.

It was gloomy with some wind, so I opted to drive (using Ken's electric car, so saving my gas) over to the path and be flat and sheltered for the run. 5.3 miles done.  I was tired and sluggish, but it's done.  Need to make my cranberry stuff today, which is about all I do.  It's just Ken and me.

Denise- I was thinking about you and Justin while I was running.  I hope the visit goes OK.  Kiley mentioned maybe coming here for Christmas.  I have mixed feelings about that.  He sounds good on the phone but is still waiting for resolution of some legal issues, so things are very much in limbo.

I love the idea of handing out the dog food.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Me: "You're leaving and having Thanksgiving with your family.  I'm gonna fix myself something special."  Men! 

I missed this - why is he having TG with his family and you are staying home?

I missed this - why is he having TG with his family and you are staying home?

Friday is the last home game of the year for the University of Oregon Ducks.  He has season tickets with his cousin and he stays with him and his girlfriend when he goes up for the games.  I have no desire to go up and sit at home all day at his cousin's house with the girlfriend.

I'll just leave this here:

40 Funny Comics for the Average 40 Year Old | Thanksgiving jokes, Turkey  jokes, Thanksgiving cartoon

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Holly//...............I sent you a picture of Claire if you don't mind posting it for me

++++++++++++++

38-degree windchill, and windy

,,,,,,,,,,,,,40-min at soccerfields............trailboots

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....