Masters Running

Wednesday, June 8 sweltering runs... (Read 530 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You really don't even have to run to sweat, just stand outside. Perch is going to wake up and think he's back in NC this morning! 4 miles with Brinkley with one cat fartlek. Luckily he was on a leash or he'd still be chasing it.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Mary - loved that puppy pic yesterday.  My Dexter loves to go to sleep holding a stuffed animal just like that...

3 easy-paced miles for me on the TM (in front of a fan) at 10:42.  Legs are feeling much better, almost no stiffness at all.

I'm working until noon today and then flying out to New Orleans for a conference.  Since I don't have a laptop, I'm borrowing my DD's Ipod Touch so I can keep an eye on you guys....don't do anything I wouldn't do.....Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I'm loving the heat but I don't know why.  I went out for four and half miles with an option for one more.  I felt good so I picked up the option and ran five and a half this morning.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

No Mary, It's COOLER in NC right now...... but feels cooler here.

at 5 am:

Madison Heights: 77°, Dew Point 60, Humidity 64%

Durham NC: 70°, Dewpoint 69, humidity 90%

binary run today
          7 miles in 1:01:01 (8:43 pace)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Yoga planned for lunch & I'll run this evening again, fortunately an easy run.

Here's the video of DD's graduation speech.  She finally got the professional video and actual diploma yesterday but the video was too long for me to upload on YouTube, so here's our own wobbly version.  There was a moment when she first stepped up to the podium when she couldn't find her speech but unfortunately it's not on this version.  Her principal had an extra copy and she handled the situation well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4JWA_nr-gI

If YouTube suggests you watch videos of a guy running in green compression socks, please ignore that Wink 

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Slo

binary run today
              7 miles in 1:01:01 (8:43 pace)

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who can read binary and those who can't.

I almost blew off my run this morning but then came to my senses. I got out late and decided to do an easy 5 miles. Just before reaching my turn around I meet up with a acquaintance...An olympic marathon trialist hopeful, sub 2:20 marathoner who is running Grandma's next week. He turns around and joins me.

My splits for the morning:

8:12

8:00

7:33

6:56

6:59 (1/2 uphill)

So much for an easy run. As we parted at the end of the run he yells back..."Hey, nice running with you...it's always great chatting with you!"

The whole while we were running I kept thinking to myself...I wished he'd stick to yes or no questions.

Mike E

MM #5615

Slo--that's hilarious...and I know the feeling. We're just leaving Worthington,MN...I went for about 2 miles, this morning...Starr, if you saw a little guy in a red hat running in your town, that was me. So far, so good with my son.
                Mariposai

. So far, so good with my son.

and you have the power to keep it that way!

This is your chance to create a lasting fun memory in his brain, don't waist it by dwelling on the small stuff that will not matter in 10 years.

Have fun!

Cloudy here, another lovely spring weather. Last night I planned to RAW today and now I wish I woke up earlier than I did to enjoy the cool weather. Oh well, I needed to do some writing anyway, so not all was lost.

Last night was gym night with my DH. I just did 20' in the elliptical and some light upper body weights. My DH ran for a total of 30'  at a faster pace than his usual 11'  mile...I still smile big every time I see him run. This mark his 7th month of running! Enkie you have asked me before how I convinced my DH to start running. Well, actually it was not me convincing him, he just decided to do it. I tried to make a runner out of him for years and it was always a sore of conflict any time I brought it up...so I just shut up and I kept on running. Over a decade later here he is running and enjoying it too. Clown

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo_Hant LOL Great quip!

Holly S. if your new job is going to have you traveling somewhat I strongly suspect you will soon be in the market for a laptop!  Enjoy New Orleans.  I always have a great time when I am down there.  Cajun cooking is something else!

The good news is my PT wants me to continue to NOT do stretches, ankle exercises or anything else that is a time sink.  I just have to continue to ice the ankle, take Ibuprofen and put an anti-inflammatory cream on it!  You have no idea how much time per day this saves!  Now if it would just hurry up and heal so that I can run again.  In the meantime another hour on the elliptical.  I am playing with the various programs in it to help reduce the monotony.  The best way would be to simply go into a medically induced coma until the whole thing is done.  Seeing as how I have no idea how to do the coma thing.  (How do you take yourself out once you put yourself in?  You are in a coma.  Confused)  I guess fooling with the programs will have to do.  Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

HermosaBoy

and you have the power to keep it that way!

This is your chance to create a lasting fun memory in his brain, don't waist it by dwelling on the small stuff that will not matter in 10 years.

Have fun!

Well said!  I am trying to keep that perspective as well.  Got a son that just doesn't seem to care about school.  Now I am to the point that I think I am just going to have to let him succeed at failing.  I have tried everything else...

Mike, you got that SCREAM-O music cranked for him?

4.6 easy miles with Rosie this morning.  75 degrees felt absolutely lovely after yesterday's 103 (96 when I did my evening run).

Are we on the downhill side of the week yet?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

lamerunner

Good morning, hot one here too. 8 humid miles,  reasonably strong but warm!   Cat fartleks all occur inside our house between cats...

Mike, sounds like the trip is off to a good start at least. I hope it all goes smoothly.  You are brave.

Dd graduates on Saturday. It has been a tough few years and we really hope she applies herself in college.

and Twocat, good luck with that coma...I never thought the eliptical  was quite that bad!

wildchild

Carolyn

Rob, does Rosie do OK running when it's 75°?  I leave my dogs home when it's hot, even thought they give me the evil eye when I go without them. 

No time for a RAW yesterday because we had a late conference call with some clients in Australia (early call for them).   Planning to go today after work.

Holly, have fun on your trip! I'll be in New Orleans for a training class in September and I've never been there before - let me know what you like and where you find to run.

Perch, how cool that you ran in 5 states during your move to Michigan!  Nice way to break up the drive.  How's the new job?  Did you DW find work there too?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Twocat - Big grin  I hadn't thought about the medically induced coma thing.  I might have to look into that.

Slo - Nice EZ run! Wink

MikeE - Good to hear so far so good.  Posai is right.

Holly - If you end up needing a laptop, check out the refurbished ones.  When I was looking, some little birds in here gave me that suggestion.  After a lot of Internet searching, I had just purchased a really nice Acer mini through www.cheetahdeals.com.  Unfortunately, it came right about the same time The Hub lost his job, so I had to send it back.

I don't think my cats would appreciate cat fartleks.

I got up, fed the cats, then went back to bed, only to lay there for another hour with the chorus Elton John's "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" running through my head over and over.  I had intended to work out, but I forgot I needed to be in to work by 7:00 since I'm leaving at 3:30.  I know, I know - excuses are like . . . well, yeah.  I'm stickin' with it, though.

I got home last night to a vacuumed house, a mowed lawn, completed laundry - lawdy!  Where has this man been all my life?!? Wink

Have an excellent Hump Day, folks ~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Most of us seem to be dealing with the H&H. We brought it back from Ohio with us. Marj went out for a short one about 5a.m. and I followed for a 2.5 mile run around our local reservoir at 5:45 a.m. It was already loaded with runners and walkers. This afternoon I'm heading to the Y for a swim and yoga.

HermosaBoy

Rob, does Rosie do OK running when it's 75°?  I leave my dogs home when it's hot, even thought they give me the evil eye when I go without them. 

I wouldn't do it in the afternoon when the sun is beating down on her.  She is OK for short runs at 75 though.  Definitely a lot of panting when we got home, but none the worse for wear.  Our other dog (a pug named Jack -- aka Fat Jack), doesn't even like to walk outside when it is hot...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob